• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valus

how is this even possible? It was some of the worst CG of the series, apart from maybe daenerys riding the dragon.. Completely ruined the scene for me because of how bad it was. I would have rather they just showed her from behind, instead of using the bad 'floating' face paste job.

I had no idea it was CG either. Calm down.

painey

One thing I noticed was they didn't show Stannis die. There is no speculation here that he might have been shown mercy, but I'm guessing people know more than the TV showed.. which is sad :( Hopefully I'm wrong.

Pagusas

Elden Member
One thing I noticed was they didn't show Stannis die. There is no speculation here that he might have been shown mercy, but I'm guessing people know more than the TV showed.. which is sad :( Hopefully I'm wrong.

What? Read the thread, its a key point everyone is talking about with lots of speculation, and no one knows anything more than what we saw, the show is completely caught up to the books.

Vashetti

Banned

HBO viewer's guide says that Brienne killed him.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So we're reek and Sansa jumping to their deaths or relying on the snow powder to cushion their fall or what? Both are fine with me.

Yeah I loved that show. But Season 2 was a massive drop and it was super sad :<

Yeah the second season was like 3 seasons piled into one, suddenly Octavian was a full grown adult, everything just moved forward at a really fast pace. But at least they finished it, they could have filmed the second season as planned and not completed the story.

It's what I think about when people complain about season 5, it's source material and if they hadn't used it then we would have suddenly jumped forward too far, too fast. We've already got questions about so many characters from the past that haven't been around for so long, it could have been worse.

how is this even possible? It was some of the worst CG of the series, apart from maybe daenerys riding the dragon.. Completely ruined the scene for me because of how bad it was. I would have rather they just showed her from behind, instead of using the bad 'floating' face paste job.

I just assumed it was her because there was a lot of talk about how Lena asked to never be shown naked to increase the impact of this particular scene, so I wasn't really looking for it.
If I had known she was unable to do the scene because she's pregnant I would've gone into it with the mindset of trying to figure out how they were doing it and probably would've spotted it right away. I was just focusing on other things.

They did the same with Ned, not showing the actual execution, though you do see Sansa faint which made it obvious he was dead.
Still, I doubt it means anything, he's done.

Vashetti

Banned
Wo7tUZp.png

JRc7V2J.png

QvmRuxX.png

Pp8TftH.png

Do we have any info on Valyrian Stone? I did a google search (can finally do that now without fear of massive spoilers) and it just leads to stone men since they ship them off to Valyria.

Anyway, that massive vault from Qarth is made of Valyrian stone. Looks like steel to me though, not sure if it was meant to be steel and they messed it up and called it stone, but you could make a lot of swords with it.

MjFrancis

So we're reek and Sansa jumping to their deaths or relying on the snow powder to cushion their fall or what? Both are fine with me.
I've been told that there are six feet of pillows under that snow and Sansa will fall with a grace that would make Mary Poppins blush.

Pooya

yeah, Cersei's children must all die at this rate, who would kill Tommen though? Tyrells?

One was killed by Tyrells, one by Martells, the last one maybe a different house now. Maybe Cersei herself kills him...

Brojito

Neo Member
Do we have any info on Valyrian Stone? I did a google search (can finally do that now without fear of massive spoilers) and it just leads to stone men since they ship them off to Valyria.

Anyway, that massive vault from Qarth is made of Valyrian stone. Looks like steel to me though, not sure if it was meant to be steel and they messed it up and called it stone, but you could make a lot of swords with it.

Don't you mean Valyrian steel? I don't think "Valyrian stone" is a thing. At least, I've never heard the term used in the show or the books.

MjFrancis

What you were actually told is that people have survived falls much higher than that in real life.

http://listverse.com/2013/09/23/10-people-who-survived-falling-from-extreme-heights/
Did it occur to you that those are fascinating stories precisely because the results aren't typical? Sure, Sansa can jump feet first off a castle wall to escape Ramsay and come away unscathed. The showrunners said she will live so that's all I need to know, but that's not going to stop me from poking fun at it.

Curufinwe

Did it occur to you that those are fascinating stories precisely because the results aren't typical? Sure, Sansa can jump feet first off a castle wall to escape Ramsay and come away unscathed. The showrunners said she will live so that's all I need to know, but that's not going to stop me from poking fun at it.

It's honestly bizarre to get so hung up on characters surviving a ~50 foot fall into snow when the entire show is based around another character surviving an even longer fall directly on to the ground.

kirblar

A giant snowbank is a giant crash pad. It's fine.

yeah, Cersei's children must all die at this rate, who would kill Tommen though? Tyrells?

One was killed by Tyrells, one by Martells, the last one maybe a different house now. Maybe Cersei herself kills him...

the Mountain. Cersei is going to let him off the leash to get vengence and the kid is totally going to get caught in his wake

It's honestly bizarre to get so hung up on characters surviving a ~50 foot fall into snow when the entire show is based around another character surviving an even longer fall directly on to the ground.

Been saying this over and over again. Nobody's listening. It seems a gif is in order.

Done!

castle_zpstqdstjcd.jpg

HBO viewer's guide says that Brienne killed him.
There's no way they would kill him off screen since there is 0 purpose to it. If they did, that would be the worst piece of writing since that shitty excuse of the Red John reveal in the Mentalist a few years back. The double Ds should be replaced afterwards. I'm 99% certain Stannis is alive.

morikaze

Banned

Maybe when Jaime gets back to King's Landing he too will be put under trial by the faith and unlike Cersei he admits that the children are from incest and the penalty for that will be death for Tommen.

There's no way they would kill him off screen since there is 0 purpose to it. If they did, that would be the worst piece of writing since that shitty excuse of the Red John reveal in the Mentalist a few years back. The double Ds should be replaced afterwards. I'm 99% certain Stannis is alive.

I know this sounds crazy because it's Game of Thrones, and they have no issues showing everything else, but apparently someone close to the show (forget the name) said showing his death would have been too gratuitous (spelling?). Likewise I have no reason to believe he should be alive. What else does he even have to offer to the story at this point? I think it'd be a bit cheap to see him alive next season..wasted effort on Brienne's part, imo.

I know this sounds crazy because it's Game of Thrones, and they have no issues showing everything else, but apparently someone close to the show (forget the name) said showing his death would have been too gratuitous (spelling?). Likewise I have no reason to believe he should be alive. What else does he even have to offer to the story at this point? I think it'd be a bit cheap to see him alive next season..wasted effort on Brienne's part, imo.
Well for one, it would have made the everything but 1 thing prediction of his red lady at season 2 episode 10 completely pointless. Not showing it because it's gratuitous sounds like the biggest pile of shit that any horse at King's Landing has produced. They don't mind show titts and rape and dicks being cut off, but apparently cutting Stannis is too much.

I can't believe the writers would write such a horrible scene.

RDreamer

Bran basically should have been dead, though. He barely survived and was crippled as hell after spending weeks nearly dead.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they won't be doing the same thing with Sansa and Theon.

Yes there was snow, but you also have to realize this same episode made it a point to show that the snow was melting enough for Stannis to get through and attack. Plus, at least on my television, you can't really tell that there's some big pile of snow there for them to land on. Plus just seconds before someone died horribly an instantly from a shorter distance.

Yes, I realize there's no chance at all that Sansa and Theon are dead, but I think everyone here should acknowledge that the directors purposefully did this in a more ambiguous way in order to have a bigger cliffhanger moment.

That picture posted up there doesn't really help either. That tower Bran fell down from wasn't really that terribly much higher and as I said he was lucky as all hell to have survived and only been crippled. That picture doesn't actually show some big miraculous pile of snow to land on, either.

Vashetti

Banned

http://www.business2community.com/e...ing-stannis-death-on-game-of-thrones-01252781

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/06/1...r-stannis-dead-if-hes-returning-for-season-6/

I'm like 95% sure Stannis is dead, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't show it.

maybe they wanted to wait and see what GRRM does with Winds of Winter before they fuck up real hard and kill off any possible story angles involving Stannis? Leaving his death as ambiguous buys them that space.

doesn't mean he won't be back for season 7. We just had a bran-less season so there's a precedent for having a character not show up for a season.

Vashetti

Banned
maybe they wanted to wait and see what GRRM does with Winds of Winter before they fuck up real hard and kill off any possible story angles involving Stannis? Leaving his death as ambiguous buys them that space.

They're not waiting on the books, they already know what happens.

Before Season 4 they sat down with George for a few days and got a complete outline of where every character is going. They know what the exact ending will be.

Curufinwe

Still, I understand why some viewers are holding out hope that Stannis lived. After all, Syrio Forel has presumably been dead for years, but debates still rage over his survival, all because we never saw the body. Also, Nutter revealed to the Journal that he didn&#8217;t even film any shots of Brienne&#8217;s sword going into Stannis, not even for safety. &#8220;Dave and Dan were very clear with how they wanted the scene dealt with and handled, and I was there to provide that for them,&#8221; he said. If Dan Weiss subscribes to a &#8220;no body, no death&#8221; philosophy, what should we read into his instructions to Nutter?

So, to sum up, David Nutter&#8217;s interview is unlikely to conclusively settle any debates about whether Stannis died in the season finale. See you in Season 6 for answers.

I see no piles of snow down there though. Sure the other side of the wall doesn't connect to a cliff?

Honestly, the whole scene was poorly shot. The wall looked much higher. And as you pointed out, there's no huge snow banks like Sansa and Theon p.o.v. suggested. Let's just pretend that that side of the castle is where they clear out the snow and that the side that Theon and Sansa are at is where they clear it out to.

And no...no cliff.

winterfell_zpsgxudg2d2.jpg

Who

Banned
The more I think about it the more Jon fits the architypal "savior" character. He started from nothing. He couldnt inherit, or father kids, but he had some mystery tied to him. He moves up the ranks and sacrifices his standing in order to save the wildlings. He carried that burden himself, and made a journey across a sea to save "his people"... his flock... and thats only the begining of the Jesus parallel. On his death he is betrayed by people of his own cloth and most importanly by his favorite student or disciple -- Ollie.

Meanwhile, Melisandre, has had her faith challenged and she is somewhat lost. Her visions didnt pan out the way she thought. Im thinking the show writters a purposefully drawing heavily on the Jesus story going forward with Jon. Im fairly certain he will rise again. Id be surprised if it wasnt on the third night after his death.

Oh wow never realized the similiarty to Jesus... also looks like the guy.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
They're not waiting on the books, they already know what happens.

Before Season 4 they sat down with George for a few days and got a complete outline of where every character is going. They know what the exact ending will be.

I did not know this. Holy shit!

The more I think about it the more Jon fits the architypal "savior" character. He started from nothing. He couldnt inherit, or father kids, but he had some mystery tied to him. He moves up the ranks and sacrifices his standing in order to save the wildlings. He carried that burden himself, and made a journey across a sea to save "his people"... his flock... and thats only the begining of the Jesus parallel. On his death he is betrayed by people of his own cloth and most importanly by his favorite student or disciple -- Ollie.

Meanwhile, Melisandre, has had her faith challenged and she is somewhat lost. Her visions didnt pan out the way she thought. Im thinking the show writters a purposefully drawing heavily on the Jesus story going forward with Jon. Im fairly certain he will rise again. Id be surprised if it wasnt on the third night after his death.

I like this.. On the third day he rose.. he will come again to judge the living and the dead.. damn imagine our boy Jon Targaryen doing that to the sorry asses who betrayed him. I dont think he will get ressurected but if he will i hope allister, bitch ass olly and company will still be alive to see that moment and i want to see the look on their faces as i savor their defeat. That moment is worth the wait.

Ya the show has already done stuff that hasn't happened in the books but will. So book readers have been spoiled by the show, sweet sweet irony.

Only one thing has been spoiled thus far.

S6 will be adapting parts of the fourth and fifth books that were not included this year, also. So you're not out of the woods yet lol, watch out for spoilers.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
the Mountain. Cersei is going to let him off the leash to get vengence and the kid is totally going to get caught in his wake
I like this theory. Tommen may go against his mother to try and get his wife back, the Mountain, devoid of any true intellect kills him. Would be in keeping with cersei's inability to think ahead and also her ability to make the prophecy self fulfilling.

"Winterfell is a large stronghold extending across many acres of territory, defended by two layers of strong stone granite walls. The outer walls are 80 feet tall and the inner are 100 feet tall, with a wide moat located between them."

Unless there was a mound of powerdery snow to stop their fall (and there wasn't because winterfell isn't atop an unspoiled mountain and the images show there was barely any snow on the ground), they're going to be a bit sore after they land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom