• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseMath

Halfway through the season I started sensing it and, especially after the finale, my feelings are that GoT has seen it's better days. The series just feels like it's setting up a series of shock moments rather than focusing on a wider plot.

You guys need to step back a bit and look at the big picture, beyond just what happened in the back end of season 5. Think about all the time we've (now apparently) wasted propping Jon Snow up as someone special, beyond just some kid who was Lord Commander for 5 minutes. Because that's all he was now.

It's trolling of the worst kind and a huge waste of everyone's time. However, I'm sure he'll get resurrected in some form, and the story will once again make death seem less permanent than it should be in a story that's all about surprising deaths. The writing is taking one of the story's great assets and dulling it down.

I can understand what you're saying but I assume you have watched all the seasons and/or read the books? You know the Game of Thrones universe. It's fucking brutal and always has been.

It's not like he was killed off in some pointless accident. What happened makes perfect sense because of how sensitive an issue the whole Wildling thing is to the night's watch, which, as you know, is not exactly full of upstanding gentlemen. Other than being decent fighters they're violent, stupid, prejudiced assholes. Jon Snow was never really cut out to be one of them, but he it's what he wanted to do and it didn't work out, not surprisingly.

Halfway through the season I started sensing it and, especially after the finale, my feelings are that GoT has seen it's better days. The series just feels like it's setting up a series of shock moments rather than focusing on a wider plot.

This season felt that way for me as well but I can respect how hard it is to make a story like this work in a one hour, once a week format. You have so much shit to cover and so many characters to include. You want to have times for just dialogue but need to keep people entertained as well.

aravuus

Unfortunately feeling the same. Hoping it was just this one season, and 6 and 7 will be better than ever, but I'm not optimistic.

televator

The more I think about it the more Jon fits the architypal "savior" character. He started from nothing. He couldnt inherit, or father kids, but he had some mystery tied to him. He moves up the ranks and sacrifices his standing in order to save the wildlings. He carried that burden himself, and made a journey across a sea to save "his people"... his flock... and thats only the begining of the Jesus parallel. On his death he is betrayed by people of his own cloth and most importanly by his favorite student or disciple -- Ollie.

Meanwhile, Melisandre, has had her faith challenged and she is somewhat lost. Her visions didnt pan out the way she thought. Im thinking the show writters a purposefully drawing heavily on the Jesus story going forward with Jon. Im fairly certain he will rise again. Id be surprised if it wasnt on the third night after his death.

rando14

Ramsay's been a solid villain the past couple seasons but dude is getting comically "strong", re: shirtless fights, 20 good bad pussies, etc. Rather he meet his end sooner rather than later before it gets even worse

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Ramsay's been a solid villain the past couple seasons but dude is getting comically "strong", re: shirtless fights, 20 good bad pussies, etc. Rather he meet his end sooner rather than later before it gets even worse

First rule of GoT: If it can get worse, it will get worse. Ramsay stays.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
According to interviews with
several cast members who allude to Cersei being mad pissed off in S6 because of her daughter being murdered

Well...that's kind of a given.
If Joffrey, her worst child, can make her go angry to the point of wanting her brother dead, how do you think she's going to react when her sweet innocent daughter have been killed too?

I'm covering my ass in case interview stuff is frowned upon.

There's no wiggle room regarding her death though. The death of Cersei's children was for-told by the witch during the flashback sequence at the beginning of the season. Poison needing an antidote immediately was also explained during the jail scene and then immediately after the Myrcella dying when Elleria took the antidote herself.

R.I.P,

Myrcella_S2.png

MyrcellaS5Cropped.jpg

Curufinwe

Shame. I was looking forward to a possible Jaime-Myrcella incest storyline.

Well...that's kind of a given.
If Joffrey, her worst child, can make her go angry to the point of wanting her brother dead, how do you think she's going to react when her sweet innocent daughter have been killed too?

She seemed to care more about Joffrey than Myrcella, despite his obvious flaws.

Shame. I was looking forward to a possible Jaime-Myrcella incest storyline.

She seemed to care more about Joffrey than Myrcella, despite his obvious flaws.

Joff was the first born and her first boy. That love seems to have transferred to Tommen now.

Gotta disagree. Myrcella was her only daughter. Her love for her was well documented in her chat with Oberyn last season. I suspect they were all loved equally though. Joffrey being her first. Myrcella being her only daughter. And Tommen being her baby.

Joff was the first born and her first boy. That love seems to have transferred to Tommen now.
I honestly thought half that love was because that's where her power at that moment came from. Deep down she knew Jofferey was a monster, but she still loved him because he was her son.

You're Alliser Thorne. You just committed mutiny and had your Lord Commander brutally murdered. He gets brought back to life you...

a) Beg for forgiveness.
b) Try and kill him again
c) Jump off the wall to your death

Lothar

Banned
There's no wiggle room regarding her death though. The death of Cersei's children was for-told by the witch during the flashback sequence at the beginning of the season. Poison needing an antidote immediately was also explained during the jail scene and then immediately after the Myrcella dying when Elleria took the antidote herself.

R.I.P,

The wiggle room could be prophecy is bullshit like the season 1 prophecy that Rhaego would be the stallion that mounts the world.

Brojito

Neo Member
You're Alliser Thorne. You just committed mutiny and had your Lord Commander brutally murdered. He gets brought back to life you...

a) Beg for forgiveness.

As much as Alliser Thorne is a huge asshole, I feel like if Jon gets resurrected Thorne's gonna take the whole thing Stannis-style.

He's just gonna stare blankly at him for a few seconds, then walk over to the chopping block and kneel down. "Well, do your duty."

As much as Alliser Thorne is a huge asshole, I feel like if Jon gets resurrected Thorne's gonna take the whole thing Stannis-style.

He's just gonna stare blankly at him for a few seconds, then walk over to the chopping block and kneel down. "Well, do your duty."
Anything is better than going out like Janos Slynt did.

Luckily that girl that likes Bronn slipped him some antidote. Or Trystane has some.

I want Myrcella to be alive more than Jon.

So Tyene has two options.

1) Get revenge against the family that killed your father, aunt, and cousins.

2) Or foil the attempt, for a guy who said you were the most beautiful girl in the world after showing him your boobz.

And you think she went with 2? Not serious right?

And Trystane would need to know what poison was given, in order to know what antidote to use. With thousands of poisons being available, I don't suspect he'd have the right one on hand.

Lothar

Banned

I feel worse when little kids die I guess. Especially one with a good heart, as evidenced by her last talk with Jaime.

Shireen burning was for me by far the worst thing that happened on the show.

So Tyene has two options.

1) Get revenge against the family that killed your father, aunt, and cousins.

2) Or foil the attempt, for a guy who said you were the most beautiful girl in the world after showing him your boobz.

And you think she went with 2? Not serious right?

Half joking. It would make about as much sense as the scene where Jaime and the Sand Snakes coincidentally arrive at the same time trying to take Myrcella away in broad daylight under the prince's nose. With Dorne, nothing is off limits. I am not certain she's dead.

Jon. :( He knew nothing. :(

Man, that one actually got to me, I liked him. They really just seem to be doing it for giggles. :( Coooome on fire magic god bring him back!

F**k that kid already hated him from last season, now he just leveled up in the hate department.

Obviously Cersei is gonna go ape-shit on everything but I reckon the usually more calm Jaime might also get on the crazy revenge bandwagon this time too. Dude finally has such a wonderful moment with his daughter must be so happy then oh no.

a916

a) Beg for forgiveness.

d) Jon ignores all this and pits Ghost and him in a one on one death match.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Jon. :( He knew nothing. :(

Man, that one actually got to me, I liked him. They really just seem to be doing it for giggles. :( Coooome on fire magic god bring him back!

F**k that kid already hated him from last season, now he just leveled up in the hate department.

Obviously Cersei is gonna go ape-shit on everything but I reckon the usually more calm Jaime might also get on the crazy revenge bandwagon this time too. Dude finally has such a wonderful moment with his daughter must be so happy then oh no.

I'm sure Melisandre will resurrect Jon somehow, we've seen how this Lord of Light can resurrect people back in season 3.
If not, what's the point of making her abandon Stannis just to go back to the Wall? Surely it's not because the writers want her to get naked in front of rapists and murderers or burn them for the lols.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm sure Melisandre will resurrect Jon somehow, we've seen how this Lord of Light can resurrect people back in season 3.
If not, what's the point of making her abandon Stannis just to go back to the Wall? Surely it's not because the writers want her to get naked in front of rapists and murderers or burn them for the lols.

Doesnt the book/show make a living off not following expectations or traditional story telling tropes? I mean what bigger way is there to re-enforce that then to let Jon stay dead, no Resurrection, no living in Ghost, just dead dead. That seems to be what the books are always trying to say "it doesnt matter how much someone is built up, what a prophesy says or what you've seen before, shit can happen at any point, at any time, and the story will go on, even if every character you know dies".

Sande

Doesnt the book/show make a living off not following expectations or traditional story telling tropes? I mean what bigger way is there to re-enforce that then to let Jon stay dead, no Resurrection, no living in Ghost, just dead dead. That seems to be what the books are always trying to say "it doesnt matter how much someone is built up, what a prophesy says or what you've seen before, shit can happen at any point, at any time, and the story will go on, even if every character you know dies".
This is what I and a lot of others have been trying to say for the last couple of days. But no, apparently there's no way Jon could stay dead and if he does, that's like worst writing ever.

Herne

The scene where Jon first sees Melisandre

Yeah... there's going to be more there.

Also, I posted this the other day, but it reminded me again:

Melisandre says in Arya she sees "Eyes you will shut forever"

Considering Arya stabs Meryn Trant in the eyes.... and then loses her eyesight. Yeah...

She mentions several different coloured eyes, one of them being blue, the colour of her own eyes. She tells Arya they will meet again, and the look on her face is not a happy one. I am so hoping that Arya gets to kill her at some point.

This is exactly why I'm extremely pessimistic towards the speculation that he's going to get revived.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It would be so crazy if if turned out that Tommen was actually Roberts son, defies the prophecy of Cersei's children dying, and unites Westeros under his rule and defeats the white-walkers.

From the beginning it really did seem like this was Jon Snow's story, but if GRRM swerves and makes the ASOIAF the "Story of Tommen" that would be hilarious.

PepperedHam

The problem for many people is that it's sort of starting to become the series' "schtick". Oh here we go, another main character shockingly murdered. I know it should be expected and the series has made it very clear that it isn't going to follow the traditional tropes, but it's sorta creating its own trope/cliche in the process isn't it?

Gigglepoo

The problem for many people is that it's sort of starting to become the series' "schtick". Oh here we go, another main character shockingly murdered. I know it should be expected and the series has made it very clear that it isn't going to follow the traditional tropes, but it's sorta creating its own trope/cliche in the process isn't it?

There's a big difference between Jon's death and every other main character's death. When you look at someone like Rob or Ned, their stories were told. We weren't left with lose ends. Jon is very different. I have no idea how the story would function without him.

Curufinwe

There's a big difference between Jon's death and every other main character's death. When you look at someone like Rob or Ned, their stories were told. We weren't left with lose ends. Jon is very different. I have no idea how the story would function without him.

The only thing I can see making him superfluous is the White Walkers getting thru/over the Wall and overrunning Castle Black early in season 6.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Someone mentioned Jon couldn't be half targaryan because he can't handle hot things. But Dany's brother couldn't either. Only the "Dragon" can handle fire, that would be Dany. Isn't there only one of those at a time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom