• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I hope this week is a long break from King's Landing. Unless it's Littlefinger raising an eyebrow to all the dumb-shit shenanigans from once-queen.

I'm just more interested in other plot threads... come back to KL next week.

Vashetti

Banned
I hope this week is a long break from King's Landing. Unless it's Littlefinger raising an eyebrow to all the dumb-shit shenanigans from once-queen.

I'm just more interested in other plot threads... come back to KL next week.

Not that I don't love Cersei (as a character), and Lena Headey's portrayal, but it almost feels as though there's a quota to have King's Landing/Cersei scenes every episode (bar the episode last year that focused exclusively on the battle at the wall).

Evolved1

If it was Missandei they would at least be on the same continent.

The Imp is gonna bang Dragon Mom and Jorah Fedora will throw himself from the highest cliff.

Omg we're in the home stretch. I always get so antsy the last 3-4 hours before GoT.

TeddyBoy

The Imp is gonna bang Dragon Mom and Jorah Fedora will throw himself from the highest cliff.

Upon seeing Tyrion chat up Daenerys...

anigif_original-grid-image-22526-1370648765-4.gif

Evolved1

The most interesting thing for me right now is the build up around winterfell.

And thinking about it, it dawned on me that this is probably the buildup to winterfell. Which is to say, I'm staring to think that winterfell is maybe this season's ep 9 crescendo, which means it's gonna be yet a while before stuff gets too heated there.

I wonder how long it will take Pod and Arya to train... another season?

iNvid02

I'm still mad about the Unsullied completely breaking formation in the alley and getting wrecked

what the fuck

were they trying to make a point about their fear before? like maybe they just didnt give a shit and went in recklessly because they lack fear, if that weren't the case they might have stayed in formation.

were they trying to make a point about their fear before? like maybe they just didnt give a shit and went in recklessly because they lack fear, if that weren't the case they might have stayed in formation.

They were all together though in the room. They just never fought as a unit even with their commander right there. Most got picked off one at a time as they fought alone.

I rewatched the taking of Yunki(?) or whatever that city was where Daario and Jorah and Grey Worm basically did it themselves. The 3 of them killed about 20 trained guards during the first run and then got swarmed by about 35-40 more before the scene cut away.

Yet the 3 of them fighting back to back walked away victorious. Yet dozens of Unsullied ( including worm ) couldn't take out dozens of dagger wielding, unarmored ex slavers. And that included one of the finest swordsman in the land as well.

Was just poorly written, directed , planned and executed.

Worst scene in GoT since Jamie losing his hand. Jamie losing his hand has ended up being a horrible idea. That character may as well not be around anymore. As much as I hated Jamie he was Atleast good enough to hate. I don't even like the " new " Jamie despite his changes in personality. They are forced changes so never will feel genuine. Id rather have asshole Jamie back with that confidence and combat ability.

They were all together though in the room. They just never fought as a unit even with their commander right there. Most got picked off one at a time as they fought alone.

I rewatched the taking of Yunki(?) or whatever that city was where Daario and Jorah and Grey Worm basically did it themselves. The 3 of them killed about 20 trained guards during the first run and then got swarmed by about 35-40 more before the scene cut away.

Yet the 3 of them fighting back to back walked away victorious. Yet dozens of Unsullied ( including worm ) couldn't take out dozens of dagger wielding, unarmored ex slavers. And that included one of the finest swordsman in the land as well.

Plus the heavy handed music when Selmy was getting taken down and just ugh

Evolved1

I feel like the only way they can really salvage that (and even then it's a stretch) is to reveal that the harpies were pit fighters.

Gladiators can fuck shit up.

There will be no death that will shock me more than the Oberyn death did.

I still mourne, for Oberyn and for Pedro Pascal.
Dumbass already had The Mountain on the ground, unarmed and wounded, he just needed a killing blow but pride and rage got the best of him. Best(worst) death in the series so far.

I'm still mad about the Unsullied completely breaking formation in the alley and getting wrecked

what the fuck
I mean, they did say not all of them were tested and ready to officially become Unsullied, but what did surprise me was that they lost while being with their commander and one of the best swordsmen of Westeros.

I feel like the only way they can really salvage that (and even then it's a stretch) is to reveal that the harpies were pit fighters.

Compared to the best fighting force in the world when they were already fully armored and battle ready and had their commander + one of the best individual swordsmen in the world with them? Nah, worst scene of the series yet imo.

Touchdown

Banned
I hope the writers have a plan for the rest of the remaining seasons. I fear that in moving past the book storylines things are going to go downhill in all different directions. But I'm keeping hope alive for the moment.

munchie64

Worst scene in GoT since Jamie losing his hand. Jamie losing his hand has ended up being a horrible idea. That character may as well not be around anymore. As much as I hated Jamie he was Atleast good enough to hate. I don't even like the " new " Jamie despite his changes in personality. They are forced changes so never will feel genuine. Id rather have asshole Jamie back with that confidence and combat ability.
Whhhaaaattttt? That scene was great!

Venture

Whhhaaaattttt? That scene was great!
Yeah, I love that scene and the turn Jamie's character took too.

I wonder if he ever considered getting a blade mounted on his right arm. It would be impractical most of the time but I bet he could fight well with it.

Curufinwe

You call them ex slavers, when it's far more likely that they were the highly trained, battle tested, but currently unemployed pit fighters (which the show has mentioned numerous times) being paid by the ex slavers.

But I can't expect too much from someone who thinks Jaime losing his hand was a bad scene. You'd probably be better off watching some by the numbers network drama.

You call them ex slavers, when it's far more likely that they were the highly trained, battle tested, but currently unemployed pit fighters (which the show has mentioned numerous times) being paid by the ex slavers.

But I can't expect too much from someone who thinks Jaime losing his hand was a bad scene. You'd probably be better off watching some by the numbers network drama.
While I disagree about Jaime's hand getting cut off being a bad scene...

iNvid02

yeah i dont know what people wanted out of him, he took down like 10 guys.

if they were pit fighters wanting revenge for dany's decision then it makes more sense why the unsullied got rekt and selmy went down eventually

sangreal

man I shouldn't post in this thread when drunk in the middle of the night

anyways, I thought Selmy was awesome in cutting down the harpies. I was so hyped until he died

BasilZero

I hope we get to see more about Dorne in tonight's episode along side more scenes with Tyrion's storyline but I doubt it....

Volimar

I'm sitting here listening to my Jehovah's witness uncle talking about how there are more gay people because kids shower together after gym class. God I can't wait for GoT to start and take my mind off of how backwards some of my family members are...

Just read Bran (not a book spoiler)
will skip this season. Why would they do that after that cliff hanger?

Also, I can't wait to see more of the wildlings, specifically Mance's army, which I hope doesn't disperse after his death. I mean, he had giants, mammoths and GIANTS RIDING MAMMOTHS.

On Demand

Banned
I hope the writers have a plan for the rest of the remaining seasons. I fear that in moving past the book storylines things are going to go downhill in all different directions. But I'm keeping hope alive for the moment.

Why did they want this season to cover 2 whole books again? I rather them follow the storyline than come up with something. They were doing fine ever since so I don't get why they want to rush past the books.

Volimar

Why did they want this season to cover 2 whole books again? I rather them follow the storyline than come up with something. They were doing fine ever since so I don't get why they want to rush past the books.

They want to move past the books so that they can spare GoTGaf from possible spoilers.

Evolved1

I'm sitting here listening to my Jehovah's witness uncle talking about how there are more gay people because kids shower together after gym class. God I can't wait for GoT to start and take my mind off of how backwards some of my family members are...

Visiting with my family on this mother's day, conversations and videos playing about blood moons and god's chosen people of israel... yeah. We're not even jewish.

In hindsight Jamie losing his hand was a dumb decision. Yeah it was shocking and awesome when it happened and led to a new dynamic with the character but ... Well just look. What has he done since besides force himself on his sister next to the dead body of his son? Nothing. He is not at all confident, has no ability to fight anymore, has no real idea who he is or what he is doing and it does not look like the writers have any idea what to do with him either.

Some stuff in this show, too much stuff, seems to be done for shock value alone. When it comes to furthering the overall plot or making a more compelling character the show has failed. The death of Barristan seemed like it was put in there simpy to have a " oh shit " surprise moment since the entire season has been void of them so far.

Makes me fear what else these directors will do just for the hell of the. " shock value. " moment. They seem to be using it a bit too often.

In hindsight it would have been much better for the show to still have Jamie as his old self but perhaps some other events causing him to change his outlook a bit. Like catching Cersei cheating or something. Who knows. But this current Jamie is about as interesting as that dead patch of grass in an otherwise healthy lawn

Ridli

They want to move past the books so that they can spare GoTGaf from possible spoilers.

Godspeed HBO!

Haven't been watching the thread this week, but thinking back to last week there's a lot of stuff that's been simmering and ready to come to a head. Hopefully we'll have lots of time with Sansa/Boltons/Stannis/Jon - the northern conflict has been pretty interesting so far and I can't wait to see what Stannis's play will be.

Not really no. When Marius gathered a horde of Gladiators to defend the city of Rome, Sulla's soldiers wrecked them with no trouble.

Some might consider it a spoiler of course, but yeah they producers announced it months before this season started.

It can also be deduced from the cast in the listing in the OT, which was discussed back when it was posted. So, I'd say it's safe to considering that not a "spoiler".

dLMN8R

Gah! HBO Go is such a tease. Episode 5 is showing up as available on the main home tab but clicking it (at least on Xbox One) just takes me to the episode listing - where episode 5 isn't available yet :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom