• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

My objections are not for moral reasons. It has more to do with the reasons feel tacked on in a lot of cases and there's so much to the show they have to chop its a horrible waste of time.

I can 100% agree that some of the sex scenes waste time that could be better spent on more interesting storylines. The problem is that those sex scenes are wasting maybe 5% of a given episode's potential, but have dominated 70% of the conversation in the last two weeks.

Just caught up. Great episode. Tyrion is the man. Also,

Natalie%20Dorner.jpg

hnnnnnng

LProtag

As far as the complains about a 'male gaze' type thing going on with the sex scenes, most film and television is created in this way. It's a big talking point really in film studies and the first essay written on it is still discussed today.

That being said, I don't entirely see it as so over the top 'male gaze' compared to a lot of things.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
You're giving the average viewer far too much credit, most don't have the attention span to remember any of the names due to too many different characters.
This is actually what happens, lol. Changing names is pretty useless. I'd be more worried about the viewers thinking Alton Lannister is Gendry since they cast a physically similar actor.

CLEEK

Wait, so US-GAF are complaining about the brief flashes of tits now and again? Oh my.

Man, the American psyche in regards to ultra violence = fine, nipples = moral corruption is really bizarre. No one bats an eyelid at the gruesome scenes of someone having their throats stabbed, or a sword shoved down their spine. But a wife getting her norks out for her husband during the moment she thought she would finally consummate her marrage is horrifying to watch?

That's the fakest reaction to a slap I've seen in a long time. It reminds me of all the Pro Wrestling gifs.
I liked those changes for the most part but I thought that the slap was cheesy.

Make it a punch followed by a couple of kicks on the ground or something.

Balon Greyjoy ain't no bitch. If he gon go he gon go big feel me?

Kuroyume

Banned
Wait, so US-GAF are complaining about the brief flashes of tits now and again? Oh my.

Man, the American psyche in regards to ultra violence = fine, nipples = moral corruption is really bizarre. No one bats an eyelid at the gruesome scenes of someone having their throats stabbed, or a sword shoved down their spine. But a wife getting her norks out for her husband during the moment she thought she would finally consummate her marrage is horrifying to watch?

Is it only US-GAF? Have you actually gone into everyone's profile to check ? Because, I don't see how you could come to that conclusion.

suzu

The only sex scene I really had any problem with was the one with Littlefinger talking over lesbians. It kinda dragged on too long.

Also in the first episode from this season when there was suddenly this loud moaning out of nowhere.

Lothar

Banned
Is it only US-GAF? Have you actually gone into everyone's profile to check ? Because, I don't see how you could come to that conclusion.

Also, who said anything about moral corruption? Or that it was horrifying to watch? What a random post that was. It's like he just came into the thread, didn't read a single post, and took a blind guess at what people were talking about.

The sex scenes start to get obnoxious and pointless. I don't care about littlefinger's brothel. Yes, he runs a brothel, that's great. At this point its taking up precious screen time that could be used to develop certain parts of the plot further. It feels like some of the scenes are there to appeal to certain demographics.

The renly/maergery/loras scenes are perfectly fine. They add to the characters. Same with Stannis/Melisandre. Even pcyelle's whores are in line with the book.

What I'm trying to say is don't interject sex scenes that aren't integral to the plot or characters, like almost all of the brothel stuff.

KingK

Tits aren't much of a problem. It's mostly just the loud and fake orgasm noises that make things awkward when watching with certain people.

edit: for clarification, I didn't have any problems with any nudity/sex in episode 3.

CLEEK

It's like he just came into the thread, didn't read a single post, and took a blind guess at what people were talking about.

Apart from the past few pages of posts where this has been the main thrust of the conversion.

I hope my use of the term thrust didn't just offend you.

As others have said, if you're going to complain about sex scenes, it is telling if you aren't also complaining about the violence or language. Not than any of these warrant being raised, as none of them are done for shock value and all are in line with the overall feel of the series and world it is depicting.

HBO is great as its the only major US TV network that isn't constrained by the typical puritanical, sex hating decision makers. It's not that HBO shows have excessive sex (or violence, or whatever), just that it seems that way when compared to shows from other networks.

Lothar

Banned
Apart from the past few pages of posts where this has been the main thrust of the conversion.

The conversation on this thread was about the pointlessness of the scenes. Nothing to do with them being morals or hating sex on TV. Maybe you meant to respond to a different thread.

RDreamer

This thread still complaining about the sex scenes? I really don't get the problem people have with them...

All I know is that SNL skit about the sex in GoT was highlariousss.

That was one of the least funny Game of Thrones parodies/videos I've seen. Then again, it is modern SNL, so I suppose I shouldn't have expected much.

CLEEK

The conversation on this thread was about the pointlessness of the scenes. Nothing to do with them being morals or hating sex on TV. Maybe you meant to respond to a different thread.

Or maybe you haven't been reading what people have been posting, and are just projecting your own options. Here's a few sample posts from the last couple of pages. There are a ton more if you go back further.

bengraven said:
those who subconciously consider fantasy somewhere with light sex and violence and are uncomfortable with mixing sexuality with the genre

kruis said:
still we feel uncomfortable watching sex scenes on TV together. In fact, a lot of the times I'm embarrassed by the sex scenes in many TV shows even when I'm watching alone.

KingK said:
when I try to watch it with my family or with my roommate and his friends who are really Christian it turns them off of the show and makes it really awkward.

KingK said:
my roommate and his friends who are huge fantasy fans that I know would otherwise love the show don't really like it because of all the sex. I just feel like it limits the audience unnecessarily.

RDreamer

still though, it points out the ridiculousness of some of those scenes

I could not disagree more.

edit:

If there is one thing consistent in HBO shows it's tons of fucking and naked people. I've already accepted it as reality, for better or for worse. Probably the reason I rarely watch HBO shows with other people lol.

Oh, you're just embarrassed by sex and/or naked people? Well, then there's your problem.

CLEEK

The sex scene have all been great. Unlike the vast majority of TV shows, none have felt forced or out of place. It's not like there are Baywatch style slow-motion musical montages inserted at random.

CLEEK

If there is one thing consistent in HBO shows it's tons of fucking and naked people. I've already accepted it as reality, for better or for worse. Probably the reason I rarely watch HBO shows with other people lol.

There you go, Lothar. Another example. You were even the post just after this one, so you must have read it.

Lothar

Banned
Or maybe you haven't been reading what people have been posting, and are just projecting your own options. Here's a few sample posts from the last couple of pages. There are a ton more if you go back further.

Seems to me like Kruis is complaining because the sex scenes serve no point, not just because it's sex.

kruis said:
My family's not Christian and we're not prudes, and still we feel uncomfortable watching sex scenes on TV together. In fact, a lot of the times I'm embarrassed by the sex scenes in many TV shows even when I'm watching alone. A good sex scene should not about the sex or the nudity, but about the characters. I recently watched a movie in which the main character was nude for most of the time and it worked. In the case of A Game of Thrones I feel sorry for the actresses, because they have to undress for the camera not to make their characters more real but because HBO wants to attract viewers who subscribe to cable networks for the adult shows with lots of sex compared to the tame fare on regular networks.

Bengraven is I think someone like you that missed the point of people's criticism.

It looks like KingK is complaining again not just because it's sex but because some of it is gratuitous pandering for horny male teens sex. He said he didn't have a problem with the sex in the 3rd episode.

KingK said:
edit: for clarification, I didn't have any problems with any nudity/sex in episode 3.

CLEEK

Seems to me like Kruis is complaining because the sex scenes serve no point, not just because it's sex.

He's embarrassed to watch sex scenes on TV (not just GoT, but in general).

You're just projecting you own views on everyone else's comments. Fine if you disagree with them, but you can't try to re-interpret what they have clearly said to fit your world view. Some people are uncomfortable with sex on TV, that's all. A view more common in the US than elsewhere (Super Bowl 'nipple slip' was world wide news, just due to the wider US reaction to it).

Oh, you're just embarrassed by sex and/or naked people? Well, then there's your problem.
I'm not at all. I said rarely. TONS of other people are though, and it's easy to tell, and that just makes the whole room uncomfortable. You know you're wrong in saying that, it was a stupid post. Reality is a crazy amount of people just aren't comfortable, especially when it's family members. You're so demeaning in the way you describe something that many people feel.

And I'm not even one of them and you're accusing me of it is the funny tweest.

When people start complaining about this, do you think it could be down to a lack of thought going into the screenplays? I don't believe these criticisms are limited to social conservatives or those generally not used to seeing nudity on the screen.

RDreamer

I'm not at all. I said rarely. TONS of other people are though, and it's easy to tell, and that just makes the whole room uncomfortable. You know you're wrong in saying that, it was a stupid post. Reality is a crazy amount of people just aren't comfortable, especially when it's family members. You're so demeaning in the way you describe something that many people feel.

And I'm not even one of them and you're accusing me of it is the funny tweest.

I dunno what to say... I certainly don't want them to write the show taking into account that people are embarrassed by nudity. They should write it the way they feel it should be and if it embarrasses people, then I guess that sucks.

I just really don't feel any of the scenes have been anywhere remotely near "ridiculous," and I think you (and others) may only be arriving at such a destination because you're embarrassed to watch it around others who might be uncomfortable with nudity/sex. You're hyper critical and hyper aware of the sex scenes because you view them as something you wouldn't watch with others. Also, I'm not necessarily accusing you of being uncomfortable with it, but clearly you are embarrassed by sex/nudity especially in the context of watching it with others. I'm just saying your views on the scenes will be painted by that.

I don't mind the ones that are there for actual story driven purposes, but I hate the ones the ones that are just randomly there. Don't mind gratuitousness in horror movies or teen flicks since it's part of the humour of it but I think the littlefinger talking in the brothel example is a good one. Yes lets have random girls doing stuff in this scene because it's a brothel right?! Just seems cheap.

Also when they are story driven, I hate when they're drawn out. I once watched a movie with my mom, I forget which thankfully, and there was a sex scene that was 30 seconds long and I swear it felt like 30 minutes. I say either get it over with quick, imply it, or GO ALLL THE WAYYY and show us a whole entire scene of people doing it :p

go big or go home

RDreamer

I don't mind the ones that are there for actual story driven purposes, but I hate the ones the ones that are just randomly there. Don't mind gratuitousness in horror movies or teen flicks since it's part of the humour of it but I think the littlefinger talking in the brothel example is a good one. Yes lets have random girls doing stuff in this scene because it's a brothel right?! Just seems cheap.

I don't really think you can take any as just being randomly there. Even the "random" ones kind of build up the world in a way. I think the Littlefinger scene did a lot for his character, especially when you add it up with later scenes. It shows how he interacts with "his people." The rest of the lords and all that kind of get scenes to show how they interact when they have power, and usually with the people they are lord over. Those are good scenes. Littlefinger isn't a real lord. He manipulates things, but really he only has power over his whores in his brothel. I think by showing the dirty work that goes on there, they're showing where he is in the world compared to the others around the show, and how even though he's built up a lot he's really not anywhere.

In this show sex is used a lot of times for power. It shows who has the power over who. Sometimes it's women seducing and sometimes it's the men forcing. In this scene Littlefinger forgoes the "seduction." Basically, symbolically, I think it shows how he clings to power where he can. It shows how strong willed he is compared to some others that do wield what the world perceives as real power. I mean compare him to Stannis, who gave in pretty easily. His power over sex and the sexual is very different from all the other characters. He commands it, cold and calculating, orchestrating from the sidelines. It's just like how he works in the world around. Basically, I think while the rest of the sex scenes delve into the characters themselves having sex, with Littlefinger it's a bit different. It's telling about his character that what should be his "sex scenes" have him not having sex, but directing others and literally owning others' sex in a way.

Lothar

Banned
There you go, Lothar. Another example. You were even the post just after this one, so you must have read it.

Must I reply to every one?

Now since Pyromaniac has clarified himself, we know you were wrong here too. But I understand the confusion now.

I don't really think you can take any as just being randomly there. Even the "random" ones kind of build up the world in a way. I think the Littlefinger scene did a lot for his character, especially when you add it up with later scenes. It shows how he interacts with "his people." The rest of the lords and all that kind of get scenes to show how they interact when they have power, and usually with the people they are lord over. Those are good scenes. Littlefinger isn't a real lord. He manipulates things, but really he only has power over his whores in his brothel. I think by showing the dirty work that goes on there, they're showing where he is in the world compared to the others around the show, and how even though he's built up a lot he's really not anywhere.

In this show sex is used a lot of times for power. It shows who has the power over who. Sometimes it's women seducing and sometimes it's the men forcing. In this scene Littlefinger forgoes the "seduction." Basically, symbolically, I think it shows how he clings to power where he can. It shows how strong willed he is compared to some others that do wield what the world perceives as real power. I mean compare him to Stannis, who gave in pretty easily. His power over sex and the sexual is very different from all the other characters. He commands it, cold and calculating, orchestrating from the sidelines. It's just like how he works in the world around. Basically, I think while the rest of the sex scenes delve into the characters themselves having sex, with Littlefinger it's a bit different. It's telling about his character that what should be his "sex scenes" have him not having sex, but directing others and literally owning others' sex in a way.

I don't completely disagree, I don't know it's a tough subject. Either way, I personally don't care but like I said many people do and it just makes things weird.

I do agree that it's being used as currency (mostly) in the show, and also to express certain relationships, but I still think some of them cross the line of over the top or pushing it or a tad pointless or could have easily been implied rather than explicitly done, also sometimes they last maybe a tiny bit too long. Seems like they squeeze it in at ANY POSSIBLE moment they could squeeze it in. I aint mad though.

In the end , like I said, HBO is HBO. I already expect it, and expect nothing less. Not even remotely close to a dealbreaker, just thought it was worth chiming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom