• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I don't want kids anymore.

Vespene

Shadow Baby

1269259657_omg_cat.gif

What's the budget for this show, btw? Everything is so top notch i'm often surprised tbh.

Well, they opted out of showing Robb charging the Lannister camp, only leaving us with horses and men shouting on a black screen.

Also, who was the lady that Robb talked to in the beginning?

That seems like that's going in mysterious non-book directions. I suppose it could ultimately dovetail back with the books again but that scene was completely invented for the show and looks to be the first major departure, assuming she's recurring.

Joeffery is an asshole, god damn it. Reading the books I would never have pictured him as doing that.

Granted, he's older in the show than in the books. But even still....eh. Yeah, we get it, Joffrey is an evil, sadistic Caligula wannabe. I don't know that the scene was really necessary. I think people hate Joffrey enough already. Considering all the other sorts of scenes cut from the books that could have been more insightful into other characters, that scene with Joffrey seemed like a waste, all things considered.

Lothar

Banned
I don't like that Stannis just showed up with Renly not even surprised to see him. In the book, he was shocked because he thought at first he was being attacked by Tywin. Stannis coming there was so not even in his mind that he couldn't comprehend it at first.

I loved the Harranhal scenes. It was just like I imagined it. Joffrey was great. Shadow baby looked terrific but it should not have ended there. For the simple reason that it constantly feels like big things are on the verge of happening, but aside from Arya's story, it's always wait until next week.

The opening with two Lannister soldiers just talking in the rain was a nice way to start.

Dany, I can't remember if it happened like that in the books or not (I'm guessing no), but that conversation seemed incredibly awkward and cheesy.

Dany

Banned
Dany was out of it. I don't know why she was acting like a bumbling 14 year old, so odd coming from her; and then she speaks confidently seconds later.

Gruco

Banned
Yeah, there seems to be a trend as to whether or not a TV-added scene is good.

Does it involve peeks into the lives and motivations of Non-POV characters? GOOD.

Does it involve Ros? BAD.

I don't even want to pick on Ros too much, but the trend is pretty hard to ignore at this point.

tmdorsey

Apparently it's the latter (I checked a wiki). [ACOK book spoilers]
Roose
wouldn't have known that
Arya was missing
and would have had no reason to suspect a peasant girl. Tywin Lannister would have on the other hand, which is why it rubs me the wrong way.

Well I thought
Tywin didn't find out about Arya being missing till he returned to Kings Landing.

Joeffery is an asshole, god damn it. Reading the books I would never have pictured him as doing that.

I agree that the Joeffery scene felt weird and was unnecessary, but it's totally in his character to pull something like that for sure.

LordCanti

Well I thought
Tywin didn't find out about Arya being missing till he returned to Kings Landing.

Aaah. That makes sense. So much of a good book series is who knew what and when they knew it, and I can't remember most of the time. I should re-read the books, but I don't want to annoy myself with all the things that deviate from the book in the series. If I can't remember them, they can't annoy me.

Vespene

That seems like that's going in mysterious non-book directions. I suppose it could ultimately dovetail back with the books again but that scene was completely invented for the show and looks to be the first major departure, assuming she's recurring.

I think
that is Jeyne Westerling incognito. They are setting her up in a similar fashion Asha was introduced. In the books Jeyne is kind of one-dimensional, so giving her some scenes and early exposition would justify Robb's interest in her. Having now shown her medical skills, it will make sense later when she heals Robb wounded from battle.

EDIT:
Looked it up and she is the actress that was cast as Jeyne so that's that.

Pollux

Yeah, there seems to be a trend as to whether or not a TV-added scene is good.

Does it involve peeks into the lives and motivations of Non-POV characters? GOOD.

Does it involve Ros? BAD.

I don't even want to pick on Ros too much, but the trend is pretty hard to ignore at this point.

The trend is that the Ros scenes are just terrible. Not because Ros is in them, but because they are poorly written and executed. Time could be spent developing other characters that are actually in the book, rather than her.

KingK

The trend is that the Ros scenes are just terrible. Not because Ros is in them, but because they are poorly written and executed. Time could be spent developing other characters that are actually in the book, rather than her.

Agreed.

Literally every scene she has been in has been average or bad

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Was it ever revealed which one of D&D Ros' actress was sleeping with? That has to be why she's in the show so much, right?

jett

D-Member
I guess they're driving the point home that Joffrey is indeed too much of a bitch to get his own hands dirty? :p Really it's just showing that Joffrey simply wasn't going to just sit idle and take Tyrion's verbal slap, he is the king after all. I thought the scene was an interesting addition and it's not like it took time away from another, the episode was barely 50 minutes long. And frankly after watching Irreversible yesterday nothing in this episode even began to remotely disturb me. Ros is a horrible addition though, exists to give Littlefinger's actor work. :lol Maybe she won't last past this season.

btw Peter is truly playing Tyrion like the boss of bosses I expected him to be.

LordCanti

Was it ever revealed which one of D&D Ros' actress was sleeping with? That has to be why she's in the show so much, right?

Her role up until now seemed to be getting Littlefinger more screen time. Now that he's elsewhere, who knows why she's still involved.

Magnus

Sometimes I think that they invented Ros not merely to add their own stamp on the story but to create a new way to tie the disparate areas of the story together, spatially. She's appeared in the brothel with Petyr, in the north with Theon, in the Keep with Joffrey, etc. She sort of adds a continuity to the world, and reminds the viewer that everything is happening in the same world at a time when stories don't intersect for ages.

It's no excuse for the character or scenes being poor, but it at least gives her existence a purpose to me.

I hope all this "investment" (lol) in Ros isn't all because (ACoK)
she's gonna be the whore Cersei beats the shit out of once she thinks she found Shae

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Sometimes I think that they invented Ros not merely to add their own stamp on the story but to create a new way to tie the disparate areas of the story together, spatially. She's appeared in the brothel with Petyr, in the north with Theon, in the Keep with Joffrey, etc. She sort of adds a continuity to the world, and reminds the viewer that everything is happening in the same world at a time when stories don't intersect for ages.

It's no excuse for the character or scenes being poor, but it at least gives her existence a purpose to me.
It just seems stupid to me that in a world where there are armies as big as 100K people that 1 whore gets around so much.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
While nothing has approached some of the greater scenes in late Season 1, this was probably the best overall episode of the series. The Harrenhal stuff was absolutely incredible, as was Tyrion's stuff and Stannis/Renly's. I don't really agree with the exact point they chose to end the episode, hopefully it doesn't turn anyone off who hasn't read the books. I thought the scene was great though, just wish it had continued.

Magnus

The ho that tasted Joff's insanity was the same that was with Pycelle, right? Truly an unfortunate woman.

Could've sworn we'd seen her before the Pycelle scene too.

Question! Please keep in mind that if the answer is somewhat spoilery, I've only read through SOS.

Which seven nations/territories/cities precisely are the seven kingdoms? Dorne, Winterfell, Highgarden, Casterly Rock/Lannisport, the Eyrie, the Twins/Riverlands...?

Question 2: (again, if the answer's details are spoilery, only read through SOS)

Where exactly did the Baratheons come from? Every major house seems to have a home/location they attribute their ancestry to. The Baratheons seem a major house....or were they actually totally insignificant until Robert led the rebellion against Aerys Targaryen and claimed the throne with Ned's aid?

LordCanti

Could've sworn we'd seen her before the Pycelle seen too.

Question! Please keep in mind that if the answer is somewhat spoilery, I've only read through SOS.

Which seven nations/territories/cities precisely are the seven kingdoms? Dorne, Winterfell, Highgarden, Casterly Rock/Lannisport, the Eyrie, the Twins/Riverlands...?

Question 2: (again, if the answer's details are spoilery, only read through SOS)

Where exactly did the Baratheons come from? Every major house seems to have a home/location they attribute their ancestry to. The Baratheons seem a major house....or were they actually totally insignificant until Robert led the rebellion against Aerys Targaryen and claimed the throne with Ned's aid?

The Baratheon's are the lords of Storm's End (and the surrounding territories) if memory serves. It's right near Dorne and King's Landing somewhere, and very influential before the rebellion.

I'm not sure about the other answer.

Arment

What's funny is you don't even need that Joffrey scene because he's already so unlikeable. They could have used that scene elsewhere, but whatever.

jett

D-Member
Could've sworn we'd seen her before the Pycelle seen too.

The Kingdoms are Winterfell, Highgarden, Casterly Rock, The Eyrie, Dorne, Storm's End and Riverrun.

The Baratheons are from Storm's End.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Am I forgetting stuff
or is there stuff in the show that either didn't happen in the book or is way different? Anyone have a quick list of what's different? This latest episode just confused the shit out of me.

LordCanti

Am I forgetting stuff
or is there stuff in the show that either didn't happen in the book or is way different? Anyone have a quick list of what's different? This latest episode just confused the shit out of me.

Which part was confusing? Plenty of stuff is changed from the book, but I don't know if there is a list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom