• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkaz01

Arya + tywin scenes? fuck yes two of the best characters and actors. Her list was done perfectly i thought they would glance over it but it was well done.

apana

ACOK
they better do the House of the Undying justice...I may be in the minority but I would rather have that done perfectly, with every prophecy in detail than a full-blown blackwater. We're not going to get an amazing battle scene (i.e. Kingdom of Heaven) so I would rather them do something that they can nail vs. giving us a short small battle that will just fade out anyway

ACOK
I have scaled back my expectations. All I want for that is Rhaegar scene and the final one where she sees the blue heart and the undying. The battle scene will be the big special effects scene according to reports.

I'll have to watch that episode again, I thought it was rather average. A mixture of scenes that worked and scenes that didn't

I hate to be That Guy, but I also noticed this seemed to take far more liberties from the books than previous episodes. Some worked very well, others left me wondering "why?"

That Quarth scene was perhaps the cheesiest scene since the wedding in the pilot

Pollux

ACOK
I have scaled back my expectations. All I want for that is Rhaegar scene and the final one where she sees the blue heart and the undying. The battle scene will be the big special effects scene according to reports.

SERIES SPOILERS DON'T FUCKING CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ADWD
ACOK and series
I would like to see the blue rose in a wall of ice. any chance that Jon Snow is the real Aegon that Dany saw in the vision? Right before the man (Rhaegar presumably) plays the harp?

and this one better fucking be there:
a feast of corpses, where many of the bodies were savagely slaughtered, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter

Not sure why people think the (acok)
House of Undying
might be underwhelming. It could easily (and awesomely) be done with like 95% practical effects. All it needs is some awesome direction and photography.

So is there a clip on YouTube yet of the shadow birthing with the "smoke monster clanking" sound mixed in?

Magnus

I just thought (ACOK SPOILERS):
they would merge the shadow assassin birth + Renly death into one giant WTFFFFFFFF ending with the final scene being Catelyn and Brienne fleeing.

Not saying it wasn't a good way to end the episode though.

Who's to say it won't end the next one? :)

KingK

I'll have to watch that episode again, I thought it was rather average. A mixture of scenes that worked and scenes that didn't

I hate to be That Guy, but I also noticed this seemed to take far more liberties from the books than previous episodes. Some worked very well, others left me wondering "why?"

That Quarth scene was perhaps the cheesiest scene since the wedding in the pilot

Agreed about the Qarth scene being pretty cheesy, but then again I don't really give a shit about Dany in the first place so it didn't bother me too much

Xaro saying I invoke whatever was pretty damn nerdy. Tonally that whole scene played like "stereotypical fantasy." Thankfully the show rarely strays in that direction.

That shot of the city though... that was frigging gorgeous. I'm gonna look at that shit again right now.

ACOK
they better do the House of the Undying justice...I may be in the minority but I would rather have that done perfectly, with every prophecy in detail than a full-blown blackwater. We're not going to get an amazing battle scene (i.e. Kingdom of Heaven) so I would rather them do something that they can nail vs. giving us a short small battle that will just fade out anyway

ACOK
I don't remember it precisely, but I don't see why the house of the undying would have any massive special effects budget. The dragons will be expensive, and maybe some trippy effect. But a lot of smart directing is what will do that scene justice. If I remember it correctly, it was just Danerys walking down hallways and opening doors into different areas

I liked it alot personally

LordCanti

Xaro saying I invoke whatever was pretty damn nerdy. Tonally that whole scene played like "stereotypical fantasy." Thankfully the show rarely strays in that direction.

That shot of the city though... that was frigging gorgeous. I'm gonna look at that shit again right now.

It was easily on the level of "invoking parley" in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. A plot device by any other name.

I had kind of forgotten about it, so obviously I consider it pretty minor.

I think he would have been, whatevs, you reject them, but I will make them my personal guests. Sorry guys would have worked better.

apana

SERIES SPOILERS DON'T FUCKING CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ADWD
ACOK and series
I would like to see the blue rose in a wall of ice. any chance that Jon Snow is the real Aegon that Dany saw in the vision? Right before the man (Rhaegar presumably) plays the harp?

and this one better fucking be there:
a feast of corpses, where many of the bodies were savagely slaughtered, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter

ACOK and series spoiler:
No the wolf's head thing would spoil a lot. They can have a feast with a slaughter if they want.

Tabris

For some reason, this season made me desperate to know what happens in the future and I spoiled a decent amount of things for myself. I think it's because it seems very depressing right now... and well (ADWD)
if the spoilers are true, it only gets more depressing. All my favourite characters die or get exiled somewhere / on the run without any victories except the Joffrey one. It really depresses me no victories for Arya Stark. Can you reassure me that anything goes right (except the Joffrey thing) without ruining it for me?

Pollux

For some reason, this season made me desperate to know what happens in the future and I spoiled a decent amount of things for myself. I think it's because it seems very depressing right now... and well (ADWD)
if the spoilers are true, it only gets more depressing. All my favourite characters die or get exiled somewhere / on the run without any victories except the Joffrey one. It really depresses me no victories for Arya Stark.
Welcome to the club.

apana

if the spoilers are true, it only gets more depressing. All my favourite characters die or get exiled somewhere / on the run without any victories except the Joffrey one. It really depresses me no victories for Arya Stark. Can you reassure me that anything goes right (except the Joffrey thing) without ruining it for me?

Well I think you can't really form an opinion on it without seeing or reading it for yourself. Just reading a spoiler can be very deceptive.

What is wrong with you? You don't get the joy of experiencing things after the build up of the novels or the series. You should have just read the books if you couldn't wait for it.

Extra cautious series spoilers, nothing specific mentioned
I don't know what you spoilered. Lots of shit goes down, but there are certainly some good things happening as well. But Winter is coming to Westeros. I won't address specific things, because if you got spoilers from a bad source they might not be true, so at least you have some sense of surprise.

edit: I guess if you really want specifics, PM me and I will tell you about it.

Tabris

It was more by accident, I was just reading some bios on a wiki page and I saw some spoilers which led me to check out a couple others as I couldn't believe it and it was more depressing than what it is now.

(ADWD)
All of the Starks are either dead (Robb and Cat) or on the run (Arya and Sanda), no revenge is had and they are just betrayed. Stark family was the only good (as in opposite of evil) thing left in the series I'm watching now (well except Tyrion but in a different way)

Pollux

To people who haven't read the books (not just on GAF but everyone)...why are you so surprised that the show is dark? The entire theme is "Winter is Coming" and a they've explained a million times that mean when winter gets there shit goes to hell. I just don't get why ppl want to stop watching the show since its getting dark or some crap like that.

People are saying this on my FB minifeed thing.

Ugh.

It was more by accident, I was just reading some bios on a wiki page and I saw some spoilers which led me to check out a couple others as I couldn't believe it and it was more depressing than what it is now.

(ADWD)
All of the Starks are either dead (Robb and Cat) or on the run (Arya and Sanda), no revenge is had and they are just betrayed. Stark family was the only good (as in opposite of evil) thing left in the series I'm watching now (well except Tyrion but in a different way)

Series
You seem to be forgetting some Starks. Also, just because they aren't in the North doesn't mean they are in a bad place. Also, you have a very black/white view of good and evil. There are very few characters without a lot of depth in that regard.

I don't know how much you want to know. It doesn't sound like you know a ton. I would recommend not delving deeper, and you will eventually forget the details. Just watch the show or read the books.

Character bios are dangerous. Just make sure you don't read beyond the previous seasons book when you are reading about them.

To people who haven't read the books (not just on GAF but everyone)...why are you so surprised that the show is dark? The entire theme is "Winter is Coming" and a they've explained a million times that mean when winter gets there shit goes to hell.

When the winter comes, you will die like so many flies.

Tabris

I don't want to stop watching because it's depressing. If you take out the fantasy element (magic and monsters), it does come off (from the first 2 seasons) like the western version of Three Kingdoms (one of my favorite book(s) of all time) where everybody dies and there is no such thing as "the good guys winning".

Series
I also found out about the fall of Winterfell and Bran going North. So it's essentially the Starks are done. Same as Liu Bei losing in the Three Kingdoms.

yeah it was terrible

thought this episode was boring as shit

no_way.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Is this the point where if I haven't finished book 3 I should stop watching? I want NOTHING spoiled by the show. I heard the books cross in this season.

Loved this episode, so good. I'm surprised that they
gave Cat Ned's bones.
They didn't do that in the books, like EVER, did they? (I've not finished ADWD)

Also, damn Melisandre is hot.

I liked the episode a lot more on the second viewing. My initial reaction was mainly due to a couple scenes: the "Talisa"/Robb one (which really threw me off to the point I couldn't concentrate), and the abrupt confrontation between Renly and Stannis. I'll wait and see how the Robb stuff plays out before complaining any more; don't want to fill my post with a bunch of black bars. In terms of the Renly/Stannis scene, it happened out of nowhere which was odd; the arrival of Stannis was a rather big deal in the book, and while I'm fine with the scenery changes it just came off weird. And the interaction...eh. I was hoping for the peach (or apple) scene to be included, it's such a great moment. Some people have complained about Renly but I like the performance here. He comes off as quite the charismatic fool.

I loved everything that involved Tyrion; Dinklage is really owning every scene this season. And Joffery...wow. I can't be the only person who expected something...else to happen when he handed Ros that rod; glad I was wrong lol

All the Arya stuff was great. I love The Tickler, great performance. I also like the change with Tywin at Harenhel instead of you-know-who.

Not a fan of any of the Quarth stuff at all. The city looks great, but that scene felt like some cheesy Sci-Fi channel special. It makes sense that Dany would be rather awkward when confronted by high class nobles, but the scene just came off rather choppy due to Clarke's delivery, and the Xaro intervention was just weird to me, bah.

gave Cat Ned's bones.

I think you are wrong. Storm
I recall that she gets them, and then sends them North with the Silent Sisters at some point, and then we never hear about them again. Maybe at Riverrun? While her dad is dying and she is staying with him

LoL.

Tashi

gave Cat Ned's bones.

This surprised me a lot.
I knew it seemed funny to me that she got the bones, I didn't remember that in the book. I think the reasoning behind that is make it seem more plausible of an action when she lets Jaime go in hopes of getting the girls back.
[Early Storm of Sword spoilers]

edit: ^^ or not lol. I don't remember shit lol

Is this the point where if I haven't finished book 3 I should stop watching? I want NOTHING spoiled by the show. I heard the books cross in this season.

You'll be safe. Any ASOS moved to this season will most likely be early on, I'd imagine you've read far enough to be safe. No major ASOS stuff has been moved up, from what I've heard

Just checked, I guess the bones actually arrived at
Riverrun
but I don't think that
they ever made it to Winterfell, since the Greyjoys take Moat Cailin before the bones can get up north.
(all books)

I think you are missing the joke. Or, more accurately, Cyan made a joke earlier that the Hound and The Mountain were The Brotherhood (the are both The after all). A poster got confused (not that one) and the one you are linking to corrected him.

edit: I see the person who got confused is also quoted in that post. Carry on then!

edit 2: I was right about the place, but wrong about the time. Bones were given to Cat in Clash, not Storm. I think I was right about the other details.

Snake

I thought Tyrion's scene with Lancel was one of his best yet, despite being fairly minor plot-wise. Dinklage's handling of the character seems to be improving.

Jubs

Book Stuff:
Wait a second... wasn't Stannis angry about how Renly died in the books? That he didn't want to rely on tricks to best his brother? Or am I remembering that incorrectly? Also, I was under the impression that he never knew about Melisandre's shadow babies. In fact, I was always under the impression that he was ignorant of most of her sorcery, except for flame visions. Was it implied in the books that he knew what she was capable of?

Tashi

You'll be safe. Any ASOS moved to this season will most likely be early on, I'd imagine you've read far enough to be safe. No major ASOS stuff has been moved up, from what I've heard

I'm like 60 pages into Swords. Probably gonna read more just to be safe.

Cool that HBO put Richard Madden into the consideration. One of my favorite performances in the show for taking a character (credit to the writers as well obviously) in the books and making him explode on the screen.

Who's Jeyne?

It could just be my bad memory lol

Falls in the ACOK time period, but actually in ASOS (tried to keep it vague)
Jeyne is a character from ASOS (involved in Robb's plot line), but much of her arc happens during the period of ASOS, but without a POV character there, you don't hear about it until ASOS.

I absolutely LOVED tonight's episode. May have been my favorite of the series. KING IN THE NORTH.

I'm like 60 pages into Swords. Probably gonna read more just to be safe.

Actually, you're probably safe. From what we have heard rumors about, the prologue and the first chapter of ASOS will definitely be in season 2, but beyond that, there probably won't be much of ASOS in season 2.

So. Um. The final scene. That was way fucked up, and sure to spark debate about how far we're willing to go with television.

I mean, now we've had:
a) poop (HBO)
b) childbirth (HBO)
c) peeing (NBC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom