• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Content Roundup

3adBD.jpg

Reviews:
- Sepinwall
- Onion A|V Club
- EW.com
- WiC.net
- Westeros.org
- memles
- IndieWire
- Maureen Ryan
- otakuASSEMBLE
- Poniewozik
- Alyssa Rosenberg @ ThinkProgress
- WiC's recap roundup has a few more reviews

HBO videos:
- Preview for next week's episode "The Ghost of Harrenhal" (youtube copy, please spoiler tag any discussion)
- HBO's Inside the Episode feature for "Garden of Bones"

EDIT:
- Andy Greenwald's review for Grantland

aznpxdd

Just watched this. God damn that has to be the best episode in the series thus far, just simply excellent. I haven't read any of the books and I'm excited for the rest of the season, looks like shit is about to get real!

aceface

I'm happy enough that there are still some scenes that are very close to the book. The Tyrion/Lancel scene was almost word for word (although I was waiting for "I spill my seed on her belly/not many bastards are made on the belly" lol). Besides the lack of peach, the Renly/Stannis confrontation was very close. The whole shadow baby scene was very close to the book. They are changing some stuff around but I still think its recognizably the same story and plot.

BFIB

I always thought this would be the one moment to determine who is in, and who is out on the show, as far as new fans are considered. The shadow baby is pretty far out there, especially for a show that a lot of my friends liked, for being "grounded without too much fantasy". But thats the thing about this series I really like. You get bits and pieces of fantasy at the beginning, but then its mostly shoved aside for the political game. Then out of nowhere, here comes Melisandre with her shadow baby, and everything is turned upside down.

All of my friends texted me last night "Dude, WTF was that!?", but they are all hooked to find out what is going on. Excellent job at building to that moment, I'm glad they left it right where it ended.

Other thoughts:

I liked the introduction of Jeyne being pushed up. It gives Robb something else to do besides take down the Lannisters.

Peter Dinklage is just owning every scene he's in. His scene with Lancel went exactly how I thought it would. Its clear that Tyrion is no Ned Stark, and he plays the game well.

Finally mentioning Davos' fingerbones. This was glossed over so quickly that I felt it lost its importance to why Davos is the way he is. I really hope they expand on the "Onion Knight" background in future episodes.

I really like the changes they've made to Arya's storyline. Granted, I thought the death of Lommy didn't have the impact it should have, because we just haven't had time to get to know Hot Pie, Gendry, and Lommy. But moving the story from the kids being taken to the shack, and straight to Harrenhal instead, made a lot of sense. I'm bitter that Lommy, and Hot Pie really haven't been expanded, but also, there is a lot of Arya coming up, so I understand the reasoning.

Tywin's reintroduction was awesome. Plus, I like that even though Tywin isn't a likable character, its clear that he's headstrong.

Overall, I like the tone set for the season. Granted, everything changes now with Melisandre and her shadow baby, and the gears have been kicked. Now the battle of the 5 Kings truly begins, judging by the next preview. I almost wished this season would have split the books in half. There is so much going on at once.

calza

They changed up quite a bit, but for the most part, I actually like most of the changes. Even the Littlefinger scene with Catelyn worked, when I was originally skeptical of the showrunners' decision to send LF to Renly's camp. Now, (ACOK)
it provides even more motivation for when Catelyn frees Jaime, or why Littlefinger now turns his attention to Sansa instead
. Plus that one moment of vulnerability and obsession Littlefinger showed was really well acted.

Tywin arriving to Harrenhal, instead of
Roose Bolton
was also a nice change, since no one would know who the fuck the latter is. Plus it adds a completely different dynamic for Arya to be working under a Lannister, even if it doesn't really make much sense that Tywin wouldn't suspect that the girl pretending to be a boy is the lost Stark child.

Tywin did come to Harrenhal in the books, the difference here is that Arya worked in the kitchens and then as a cupbearer for
Roose

Also nobody knows outside of the King's council that they don't have Arya. One of the first things Tyrion talks to Cersei about is Arya. And says to her what is it like being the disappointing child. We don't know if Tyrion has told Tywin about Arya being missing.

I really hope we get to see more of Roose as the season goes on. He's one of the characters I would like the writers to expand upon.

Loved this line of his, can't remember if it was in the books: "In my family we say a naked man has few secrets. A flayed man none."

Tywin is such a boss

His commanding presence and voice speaks for itself and the actor is without a doubt perfectly cast

With the modest exception of Headey (who has been much much better this season, I think), the show's Lannister casting has been downright uncanny.

He didn't seem like a good representation of Roose. Wasn't the guy quiet and creepy as hell?

He was supposed to be very soft-spoken, which this actor isn't. Seems like they got the eye color right on, though!

I still don't understand what constitutes a location being in the opening credits. Dragonstone was not featured in the episode, and was not in the opening credits. Pyke was not featured in the episode, but was in the opening credits.

I still don't understand what constitutes a location being in the opening credits. Dragonstone was not featured in the episode, and was not in the opening credits. Pyke was not featured in the episode, but was in the opening credits.

I wouldn't put to much stake into the opening. It's main purpose is mainly for new locations like we got with Qarth and Harrenhal.

Unrelated: I'm calling it, they won't show the
shadow assassination
next episode; only the aftermath. Just a hunch.

They may not show (ACOK)
the assassination of the one lord of the castle they are staying at, but there is no way they would Off screen renly's assassination

Meier

I really like how the big wide shot of Harrenhal looked. Was sufficiently gigantic and creepy looking.

Yeah, I didn't really have a great idea in my head as to how it looked.. but when they rolled up on it -- I was like yeah, that's what Harrenhall looks like. It looked great.

He didn't seem like a good representation of Roose. Wasn't the guy quiet and creepy as hell?

That was my thinking as well. I also pictured him with long greasy black hair.

Roose is supposed to be soft spoken, this guy was not. He had a good face though, so maybe the actor's true colors will shine later this season.

That was my thinking as well. I also pictured him with long greasy black hair.

Roose is supposed to be soft spoken, this guy was not. He had a good face though, so maybe the actor's true colors will shine later this season.

It isn't like we got a whole lot of face time with him...

(ACOK)
I would wait till he arrives at harrenhal before making any judgement on his personality

KingK

To people who haven't read the books (not just on GAF but everyone)...why are you so surprised that the show is dark? The entire theme is "Winter is Coming" and a they've explained a million times that mean when winter gets there shit goes to hell. I just don't get why ppl want to stop watching the show since its getting dark or some crap like that.

People are saying this on my FB minifeed thing.

Ugh.

See, this is all the more reason why it would be absolutely stupid to (ASOS)
end season three on the Red Wedding as some have suggested. I've said before that people would stop watching if that were the last scene of the season, and it's obviously the case if people already think the show may be getting too dark.

JGS

Banned
Yeah I know, it's just something that annoys me for some reason.
It annoys me because of last season where they highlight the show locations in the intro. Otherwise, I would be fine with them showing everything.

I was wondering why they were still showing Dothraki, but apparently Dany is still considered Dathraki.

end season three on the Red Wedding as some have suggested. I've said before that people would stop watching if that were the last scene of the season, and it's obviously the case if people already think the show may be getting too dark.

I don't think that will be the "last scene". I think the last scene will be (ASOS)
Catelyn either being revived by the lightning lord or the Frey/Lannister cousin who gets hung by the reincarnated Catelyn. I think that in itself is enough to keep people wanting more.

I don't think that will be the "last scene". I think the last scene will be (ASOS)
Catelyn either being revived by the lightning lord or the Frey/Lannister cousin who gets hung by the reincarnated Catelyn. I think that in itself is enough to keep people wanting more.
I agree with this

As if
after that things brighten up?

lollll

KingK

As if
after that things brighten up?

lollll

Well, after that there's still (ASOS)
Joffrey's death (which, if they're dead set on including RW in season 3, I think they also have to have this be the final scene), Tywin's death, Jon becoming Lord Commander, UnCat reveal all just in the same book. There's plenty of more hopeful/revenge moments. I'm just saying you have to give people a little taste of hope or revenge at the end, especially if they think it's dark now.

edit: anyway, sorry for bringing up more book 3 split discussion. I'll stop now.

Well, after that there's still (ASOS)
Joffrey's death (which, if they're dead set on including RW in season 3, I think they also have to have this be the final scene), Tywin's death, Jon becoming Lord Commander, UnCat reveal all just in the same book. There's plenty of more hopeful/revenge moments. I'm just saying you have to give people a little taste of hope or revenge at the end, especially if they think it's dark now.

edit: anyway, sorry for bringing up more book 3 split discussion. I'll stop now.

Actually that first part of your spoiler would make for an interesting ending. (ASOS)
Paralleling the Red Wedding with Joffrey's Wedding feast would be a hell of a contrast.
But I also think it would be a bit to much to throw into a single season. (ASOS)
and besides, Killing Joffrey is what most fans are waiting for. You kill him off, and I guarantee the amount of viewers drops significantly because for most fans, (atleast those unfamiliar with the books) this is their end game.
Makes more sense to save that for season 4.

It annoys me because of last season where they highlight the show locations in the intro. Otherwise, I would be fine with them showing everything.

I was wondering why they were still showing Dothraki, but apparently Dany is still considered Dathraki.

I'd prefer it to show the locations present that episode personally.

Again, not a big deal by any means, but I find its inconsistency a little annoying.

jett

D-Member

ASOS is getting split in two seasons, FYI.

do not highlight these spoilers non-readers

ASOS Part I ending at
the Red Wedding
is pretty much a given. I'd especially like if it they also
make the audience believe the Hound kills Arya. Epic trolling.

ASOS Part I ending at
the Red Wedding

I know it is. Thats why I think they would push that particular instance (ASOS)
Joffrey Wedding feast that is
to the later season for SOS

My guess from this season on, the "seasons" will overlap their book counterparts. book 2 will bleed into season 3. Book 3 will bleed into Season 4, and books 4 and 5 will likely represent 3 seasons (lets be honest, there is a lot of shit they could leave out in books 4 and 5, they could easily make each book a season)

D&D have already stated that books 2 and 3 will overlap each other in seasons 2 and 3 where it makes sense (ACOK)
one of the reasons why I think we won't meet the Reeds till season 3 sadly

ASOS Part I ending at
the Red Wedding

I could not keep a straight face with my sister after that spoiler for a whole year.

pr0cs

You know when an hour passes and it feels like 5 minutes that the show you're watching is good.

Man that ending, exactly as I pictured it when reading it in the books, really impressed with the CGI, very creepy and organic. Need gifs nao!

It's a shame that we don't get 20 episodes per season, it would cost a fortune but goddamn the show moves so fast I feel bad for people who haven't read the books. It's so well done that all the stuff they leave out feels like a travesty just because it would be so awesome to see how it plays out with actual actors.

Magnus

Actually that first part of your spoiler would make for an interesting ending. (ASOS)
Paralleling the Red Wedding with Joffrey's Wedding feast would be a hell of a contrast.
But I also think it would be a bit to much to throw into a single season. (ASOS)
and besides, Killing Joffrey is what most fans are waiting for. You kill him off, and I guarantee the amount of viewers drops significantly because for most fans, (atleast those unfamiliar with the books) this is their end game.
Makes more sense to save that for season 4.

It's funny you say that; some non-reader friends and I were discussing the show, and I asked them what they believe the end game is. What they would have to see or experience to be satisfied. The first thing out of all of their mouths was the hope that Dany and her dragons storm Westeros and take the throne. The viewer identification and fan base for her is so fucking huge. I asked them, what about all the other families and houses?! And then, apathy. lol

Snake

I don't remember who brought it up, but Dany's "Khalasar" definitely has more than 5 people. When Dany gains entry to Qarth you can see a line of people, showing several dozen with the likely implication of dozens more.

ibr1qdCO0vNVsY.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom