• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
I really liked this episode but a few things could have been done better. The scene with Robb should have been a bit more graphic. I liked that Greywind showed up, and I wasn't expecting them to show the entire battle, but I would have liked to have seen Greywind tear into those two guys. I'm not sure what to make of Jayne yet. Moving her up to this season might fit better than having her appear out of nowhere, but it's kind of weird to see how quickly Robb has become smitten with her. He must be horny. I'm surprised by the size of Daenerys' khalasar. I wasn't expecting to see a few hundred people but surely more than 20? Wasn't the khalsar still over a hundred when she got to Quarth? Other than those things I would have liked to have seen a bit more violence at Harrenhall. Yeah, the rats torture was cool but I think you have to mix it up a bit. Hack off a few limbs. Break a few of them with blunt objects. When I saw them pull out the rats for Gendry I was disappointed.

I liked everything else. Shadow baby was the high point. Loved that Hound was back again! Roose! Also, I loved Renly's lines when he met Stannis. The smoked ham bit was pretty good, lol.

So. Um. The final scene. That was way fucked up, and sure to spark debate about how far we're willing to go with television.

I mean, now we've had:
a) poop (HBO)
b) childbirth (HBO)
c) peeing (NBC)

Not sure if serious...

idwl

I didn't think it would finish at the birthing of the shadow. I thought there was at least half an hour left. This show goes by too fast.

Edit

What is the track that played while she was giving birth called?

lucius

So in the book did they describe the prostitutes as fat and ugly that Tyrion sent to Joffery because it seems like someone as smart as Tyrion would make sure they were beautiful so they at least had a better chance at succeeding, unless maybe he was still thinking as an uncle and didn't want Joffery to get attached to one of them.

Peru

Thought the last scene was great. Have no use for more abusive sex scenes, however, at least not when they're used to convey a fact we're very well aware of: Joff is a shit.

Mel/Renly chat was great.

idwl

So in the book did they describe the prostitutes as fat and ugly that Tyrion sent to Joffery because it seems like someone as smart as Tyrion would make sure they were beautiful so they at least had a better chance at succeeding, unless maybe he was still thinking as an uncle and didn't want Joffery to get attached to one of them.
Wasn't the girl that got beaten also the one with theon who wanted to be his saltwife? How did she get to kings landing and rise up to be with the king so fast

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I didn't think it would finish at the birthing of the shadow. I thought there was at least half an hour left. This show goes by too fast.

I don't think so. I remember the goofy looking prostitute being introduced an episode or so back in one of Petyr's brothels. The one Theon boned was the daughter of the ships captain/owner.

idwl

I don't think so. I remember the goofy looking prostitute being introduced an episode or so back in one of Petyr's brothels. The one Theon boned was the daughter of the ships captain/owner.

Oh okay, did tyrion choose the 'derpiest' ( I really don't know how to describe her look :p ) on purpose?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wasn't the girl that got beaten also the one with theon who wanted to be his saltwife? How did she get to kings landing and rise up to be with the king so fast

No. Theon's fuck-toy on the ship was the captain's daughter.

The girl who was beaten was last seen with Pycelle. She was in the room with him when Tyrion bust in and arrested him.

So the show has now very clearly diverged from the books in pretty much every significant way. I wonder if that will finally keep die hard fans from complaining?

Bets? Thoughts?

Enco

Pretty crazy episode.

Still miss Sean Bean though.

Apart from the nudity, I don't see an issue with the birth. It was pretty tame to be honest. There has been a lot worse.

So the show has now very clearly diverged from the books in pretty much every significant way. I wonder if that will finally keep die hard fans from complaining?

Bets? Thoughts?
Never read the books. How was it diverged if you don't mind me asking? As long as the spoilers wont ruin the tv series (as in they're 100% different) then I don't mind reading them.

Never read the books. How was it diverged if you don't mind me asking? As long as the spoilers wont ruin the tv series (as in they're 100% different) then I don't mind reading them.

They've conflated some circumstance, added new stuff, it's recognizable only in the loosest sense of character and plot. All of which, in my mind, has made a fantastic TV show.

SmZA

Most of the things aren't all that significant, despite the whining everywhere about the fucking peach.

Unrelated: I'm calling it, they won't show the
shadow assassination
next episode; only the aftermath. Just a hunch.

Most of the things aren't all that significant, despite the whining everywhere about the fucking peach.

Um

CoK
Littlefinger/Ned's Head
Tyrion/Joffrey/The Whores/(Presumably)Cercei

Hugely divergent and featuring all new circumstance in both instances, taking up approximately half the episode all told. Significant, I'd say.

shadow assassination

It feels like something they should do pre-credits.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They've conflated some circumstance, added new stuff, it's recognizable only in the loosest sense of character and plot. All of which, in my mind, has made a fantastic TV show.

There have obviously been some changes and there will be more, but this is pretty exaggerated. It's not only slightly recognizable, the story is still largely intact as it's written.

shadow assassination

They have to show it, too much happens in the moment to be explained afterward.
HAS to be shown that Loras and the Rainbow Guard bust in on the commotion and think Brienne killed Renly, and Brienne fighting them off and escaping. They're also not going to kill a pivotal character offscreen.

Zomba13

This show goes by way too fast. It's almost an hour long yet seems to be over so fast and it always seems like forever until the next episode.

Dmax3901

There were many diversions from the book in this episode, none of which I had a big problem with. Most of the time I was getting an almost orgasmic pleasure from the amount of sense each change made.

In the book Arya and Gendry etc are captured after
Yoren's death
and taken to a shack where the torturing happens (not quite so elaborate), then to Harrenhal where they're immediately given jobs.

Harrenhal looked perfect by the way.

I had an issue with Qarth, as in the book:
Daenerys is welcomed with open arms and treated like a goddess, none of this appearing weak in front of a bunch of weird blokes.

There was this amazing point of realisation during the birth. I could tell that the episode was about to end, and that it'd all been switched round and how perfect it was, but at the same time was screaming 'NO!' because I would have to wait another week for things to happen.

What's worse, seeing the shadow birth thing, having to wait a week and knowing what happens next, or not knowing what happens next?

There have obviously been some changes and there will be more, but this is pretty exaggerated. It's not only slightly recognizable, the story is still largely intact as it's written.

The skeleton of it, yes, but the circumstance has been fundamentally altered.

I'm not saying it's bad. I love it.

3rdman

Amazing how the final Shadow-Baby scene was EXACTLY as I had envisioned it! The only difference was the actual "baby".., I'd envisioned the baby as an actual shadow that glided on the walls and floors and through the bars. Not complaining though as I loved their interpretation as well.

I noticed a few changes which I can't remember how they were done in the book...

1. How did Ned's bones get returned to Winterfell?
2. Did Tyrian send whores to Joffrey in the book?
3. Did Margery and Little Finger know each other
Prior to her arrival in King's Landing?

Booya

Neo Member
I noticed a few changes which I can't remember how they were done in the book...

2. Did Tyrian send whores to Joffrey in the book?

yea im not sure as well but seeing as they didnt go so dark in the sansa scene (compared to the book) i asumed they substituted that with an additional scene to highlight our lovely boy-kings character.

Hmm, I don't see your point of view. The show just hasn't diverged that much from the books... I know you aren't complaining but I do think you're mistaken.

I don't think it's diverged from direction, it's just built a completely new path to get there (as opposed to previously just skipping parts of the track).

Is ariah's sword instructor from season 1 ever back in the book or was that final scream his?

It's spelt 'Arya'
and not as far as we know, there're a number of fan theories out there but he hasn't re-emerged yet so he could well be dead - it's as ambiguous in the novels as it is in the show.

yacobod

Banned
Dany's scenes continue to suck for a variety of reasons. Budgetary reasons are a big problem, Quarth looked nice, but her khalasar looks pathetic, and every scene with her is incredibly sparse and lifeless.

Everything with Arya continues to be excellent. Tywin is such a BOSS. Loved his re-introduction in tonight's episode.

Tyrion continues to be fun.

The scene between Renly and Stannis was good, wish that could have been expanded upon.

I can see the birthing shadow babies turning off a lot of viewers.

scosher

I don't think it's diverged from direction, it's just built a completely new path to get there (as opposed to previously just skipping parts of the track).

They changed up quite a bit, but for the most part, I actually like most of the changes. Even the Littlefinger scene with Catelyn worked, when I was originally skeptical of the showrunners' decision to send LF to Renly's camp. Now, (ACOK)
it provides even more motivation for when Catelyn frees Jaime, or why Littlefinger now turns his attention to Sansa instead
. Plus that one moment of vulnerability and obsession Littlefinger showed was really well acted.

Tywin arriving to Harrenhal, instead of
Roose Bolton
was also a nice change, since no one would know who the fuck the latter is. Plus it adds a completely different dynamic for Arya to be working under a Lannister, even if it doesn't really make much sense that Tywin wouldn't suspect that the girl pretending to be a boy is the lost Stark child.

ultron87

Was the Joffrey scene with Ros the scene that some critics said made Ros worth it as a character?

I hope not, because while it was fucked up it being her in particular didn't really change anything about it.

tirminyl

Was the Joffrey scene with Ros the scene that some critics said made Ros worth it as a character?

I hope not, because while it was fucked up it being her in particular didn't really change anything about it.

Not unless she took an arrow to the knee, otherwise I failed to see how critics came to that conclusion.

They changed up quite a bit, but for the most part, I actually like most of the changes. Even the Littlefinger scene with Catelyn worked, when I was originally skeptical of the showrunners' decision to send LF to Renly's camp. Now, (ACOK)
it provides even more motivation for when Catelyn frees Jaime, or why Littlefinger now turns his attention to Sansa instead
. Plus that one moment of vulnerability and obsession Littlefinger showed was really well acted.

Tywin arriving to Harrenhal, instead of
Roose Bolton
was also a nice change, since no one would know who the fuck the latter is. Plus it adds a completely different dynamic for Arya to be working under a Lannister, even if it doesn't really make much sense that Tywin wouldn't suspect that the girl pretending to be a boy is the lost Stark child.

I liked them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom