• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I don't remember who brought it up, but Dany's "Khalasar" definitely has more than 5 people. When Dany gains entry to Qarth you can see a line of people, showing several dozen with the likely implication of dozens more.

ibr1qdCO0vNVsY.png

It's supposed to be around a hundred, although to be honest I never noticed the size of the Khalasar this season.

Yeah, let's hire 100 actors to walk around aimlessly in the desert to stay loyal to the book.

....no. The size of her khalasar is rather irrelevant. Could it have been shot better to make it look like more than 20 people? Sure. But I'm not mad at that, it didn't even cross my mind.

Man, the Ice & Fire Wiki is such a minefield...
Couldn't wait for the next ep. & stopped reading at 25% of the first book (just can't commit atm. :/), so I went there and stayed for at least an hour, lol
<next ep. spoiler>
I was half expecting that Baratheon bro story to develop in this way, but I thought Stannis' gang would just use some sort of deceitfulness instead of outright SHADOW BABY MAGIC :O
This is the first occurrence of magic, isn't it? They've had supernatural beings/beasts: direwolfs, dragons etc., but no magic. I think this is what makes this so unique (book & series)...it's very reserved with the fantasy trademark stuff. Well, of course there is this ice creature murder in the beginning of the book, but it's still tame compared to LotR et al. And that makes the whole thing attractive to me as well as to other ppl. outside the D&D demographic, I imagine....no disrespect.

edit: ok ok, I guess the fire resistant, dragon waking "Dani" was magical too :p

3rdman

I don't think that will be the "last scene". I think the last scene will be (ASOS)
Catelyn either being revived by the lightning lord or the Frey/Lannister cousin who gets hung by the reincarnated Catelyn. I think that in itself is enough to keep people wanting more.

Agreed!
I think the red wedding will occur on the second to last episode of season 3...I'd end that episode with a final shot of Greywind's head on Rob's body. I'd then like to see the final episode end with Tyrian and Sansa's wedding as well as everything you mentioned.

So much happens in that 3rd book that splitting it will be a challenge
to give the viewers an ending that gives them some hope for retribution.

tirminyl

Yeah, let's hire 100 actors to walk around aimlessly in the desert to stay loyal to the book.

....no. The size of her khalasar is rather irrelevant. Could it have been shot better to make it look like more than 20 people? Sure. But I'm not mad at that, it didn't even cross my mind.

You don't even really need to "hire" anyone. Just put a call out for non-paid extras. The cost would be in clothing and make up I guess.

Bread

Banned
I am in love with this show, I just bought all of the books on amazon (25 bucks for 4 great books? fuck yea).

Is it worth it for me to read the first book even though I'm on the second season of the show?

LProtag

I am in love with this show, I just bought all of the books on amazon (25 bucks for 4 great books? fuck yea).

Is it worth it for me to read the first book even though I'm on the second season of the show?

Yes. Covers more backstory and terms that are used throughout the series. Stuff changed in the show as well.

GCX

Yes. There's a lot of stuff that wasn't covered in the show and besides that it's a great book. The point of view way of telling the story also adds a lot since you can read what the characters are thinking (which is kinda impossible in TV format).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yes. There's a lot of stuff that wasn't covered in the show and besides that it's a great book. The point of view way of telling the story also adds a lot since you can read what the characters are thinking (which is kinda impossible in TV format).
That's the biggest thing non-book readers miss out on. I love knowing what certain characters are thinking when they're talking to other characters. It makes the books so much fun to read.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Minor question on the books [not sure on book, but pre-AFFC] -
What did Ser Meryn do get on Arya's kill list? I remember everybody else but him.

Sobriquet

Non-paid extras? They're always paid something if they're on camera, afaik.

Not necessarily. Big crowd scenes (like, really big) are sometimes gathered by an ad in the paper for unpaid extras. You get food and all of the excitement of being herded like cattle.

I can't wait to see the NO BOOK thread after the season finale.

They (ACOK)
are going to be so pissed when Joffrey never gets his comeuppance.

Magnus

See my post above. It happens.

I assumed they'd do that for the big overhead shots, where faces aren't clearly seen, etc. But as soon as a face can be made out in detail, certain rules come into play, no?

Also, some lame GIFs I'm beginning to rustle up. WTB tons of GIF storage space somewhere, and feel bad for using a friend's site, even if I'm writing for it. If anyone wants to save/rehost, by all means.

ij1MEZXl27PeT.gif

iMAljaClrngId.gif

iYqbGyK9bGlsJ.gif

apana

With the modest exception of Headey (who has been much much better this season, I think), the show's Lannister casting has been downright uncanny.

He was supposed to be very soft-spoken, which this actor isn't. Seems like they got the eye color right on, though!

That was my thinking as well. I also pictured him with long greasy black hair.

Roose is supposed to be soft spoken, this guy was not. He had a good face though, so maybe the actor's true colors will shine later this season.

Wat? So far this Roose seems perfect to me.

WTB tons of GIF storage space somewhere, and feel bad for using a friend's site, even if I'm writing for it. If anyone wants to save/rehost, by all means.
I've been pretty happy with minus.com so far for big gifs. I think you get about 10GB when you make a free account.

I assumed they'd do that for the big overhead shots, where faces aren't clearly seen, etc. But as soon as a face can be made out in detail, certain rules come into play, no?

Also, some lame GIFs I'm beginning to rustle up. WTB tons of GIF storage space somewhere, and feel bad for using a friend's site, even if I'm writing for it. If anyone wants to save/rehost, by all means.

204GateOpen1.gif

I think one of the 13 who is wearing a purple colored clothing would've made a cool looking Roose Bolton, just sayin'

Sobriquet

If your face is clearly visible, then yes, you get paid. The non-paid extras usually come in to fill out a crowd in stadium scenes and stuff like that. Paid extras up front, unpaid blurs in the back.

I'm not sure what the legality is, but SAG is happy as long as you have a certain percentage of union extras. Unfortunately I can't remember the number, it's been too long.

BeeDog

I mean, the actor playing Joffrey is a kid. How the hell did they film the whore scene? I would think the studio wouldn't allow that kind of stuff.

Though I have a faint feeling he's superimposed onto the scene so it looks like he's there (at least it looks a bit like it).

Enco

I mean, the actor playing Joffrey is a kid. How the hell did they film the whore scene? I would think the studio wouldn't allow that kind of stuff.

Though I have a faint feeling he's superimposed onto the scene so it looks like he's there (at least it looks a bit like it).
Yea I always think kids are superimposed.

Would be surprising if he was actually there.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

He's 19.

Ephidel

According to the news about his scholarship the guy is 19 now, he's allowed to be filmed near all the whores he wants :p

JGS

Banned
I don't know how they could super impose his junk being grabbed anyway. He looks about as old as Sansa. I assumed she was underage since they didn't show anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom