• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't care about the lack of Robb. I was worried when they said they were expanding him and Jaime, because I thought it would be filler.

The overabundance of Ros is just that, an overabundance. And that article about how we cared about her. It led to a hearty chuckle.

Don't care about the lack of Robb. I was worried when they said they were expanding him and Jaime, because I thought it would be filler.

The overabundance of Ros is just that, an overabundance. And that article about how we cared about her. It led to a hearty chuckle.

I don't worry about filler, as ACOK spoilers
There is plenty of Robb material to work with if you compile the stuff in the books that he did in ACOK, but don't see directly, and I love Richard Madden's Robb, so I have little doubt about scenes he's in.

I felt they missed an opportunity for maybe an episode 3 war council scene about his intentions/reasons for marching west. It would have given more context to the victory at the beginning of Garden of Bones, which we received very little of.

Agreed.

Clash
I was worried because they obviously don't have the budget to do battles, and that is really all Robb does in Clash. The War Council would be a good idea, as nobody is really sure what Robb is doing if they watch the show. There was literally no context for that battle. Did it even drive home that those were the green Lannister recruits, the Oh, shit! army? The Westerlands are completely unprotected, Tywin has the only army left, weakened by Jaime's loss at the Whispering Woods and is licking his wounds. The Global context of the war is missed out in the Riverlands as well, so it is not too shocking that they lose clarity here.

Agreed.

Clash
I was worried because they obviously don't have the budget to do battles, and that is really all Robb does in Clash. The War Council would be a good idea, as nobody is really sure what Robb is doing if they watch the show. There was literally no context for that battle. Did it even drive home that those were the green Lannister recruits, the Oh, shit! army? The Westerlands are completely unprotected, Tywin has the only army left, weakened by Jaime's loss at the Whispering Woods and is licking his wounds. The Global context of the war is missed out in the Riverlands as well, so it is not too shocking that they lose clarity here.

Yeah, light ACOK (but not really, spoiler-tagging just to be safe)
given Madden's great performance in season 1, in which the character burst off the screen in a way he didn't in the book, and word of his expanded role in season 2, I was tremendously excited for his scenes in season 2, and it has been one of my disappointments of the season so far. The scenes he has been in have been great, but I feel they have underutilized him. I am hoping for a larger presence in the second half of the season though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is HBO available in Asia? I have some Korean friends asking me about the show, and they've already seen up to the most recent episode, with subtitles.

Are they just watching a fansubbed pirated version?

Trasher

I have a question about a certain event in the second half of the book. Sorry if I shouldn't post it here, but the unmarked spoilers thread is too dangerous I fear.

ACOK:
What the hell happens to Moore when he and Tyrion are battling outside King's Landing in Blackwater Bay on the "bridge"? I'm only on the next chapter after it, but I can't figure out what the hell happened to him, or either of them really, there. Something about Moore holding out his left hand because his sword was in the other, and then he points it at Tyrion's throat or something, and then he gets injured badly. That whole part was confusing to me.

I have a question about a certain event in the second half of the book. Sorry if I shouldn't post it here, but the unmarked spoilers thread is too dangerous I fear.

ACOK:
What the hell happens to Moore when he and Tyrion are battling outside King's Landing in Blackwater Bay on the "bridge"? I'm only on the next chapter after it, but I can't figure out what the hell happened to him, or either of them really, there. Something about Moore holding out his left hand because his sword was in the other, and then he points it at Tyrion's throat or something, and then he gets injured badly. That whole part was confusing to me.

if i'm remembering this scene right...(ACOK)
Tyrion was stuck on a boat which is breaking up and pulling away...Moore offers him his left hand and Tyrion realizes at the last second that Moore is right-handed, right before Moore slashes at him to try to kill him, probably trying to go for his throat. Tyrion jerks back and the sword cuts his face really bad, he almost falls but manages to grab onto something and climbs back onto the ship. When he looks up Moore is standing over him about to finish him off, but then Podrick comes from out of nowhere and kills Moore (I think he pushes him overboard, don't really remember)

endre

ACOK:

You should probably read on.

ACOK (if you really want to know):
Moore tries to kill Tyrion, but Podrick saves him by pushing Moore in to the river. People of course cant swim in heavy armor.

ilqEIm0doFWJo.gif

This is brilliant.

Seriously, the casting on this show is so perfect.

Arment

This is funny because of all the people complaining about her as miscast in this thread, lol.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Essentially every character besides Tyrion and Ned.....
BUT BUT BUT....I ENVISIONED THEM LOOKING LIKE....

Only miscast is Cersei. And that isn't "oh I envisioned..." it's just truth. She doesn't act the way Cersei does. She doesn't look even close to as described.

There was backlash about "Yara" because she isn't a perfect 10 model like some thought she'd be. Although, in their defense, the book says "Asha is lean and long-legged, with short black hair and a sharp nose in a thin face." I'd of thought they'd keep the short hair because it's a battle thing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Not looking for spoilers, but is this a mini series? I'm thinking of getting the bluray, but I don't want to be 8 seasons in on blurays.

Arment

Not looking for spoilers, but is this a mini series? I'm thinking of getting the bluray, but I don't want to be 8 seasons in on blurays.

It's going to be 9 seasons at least.

7 planned books. 3rd book is looking to be 2 seasons with some of the following book(s) mixed in at the end. I can see them doing that again in the future too.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What

It's a rendition of the books.

Which is also on HBO. I'm asking if it's a mini series.

Basically, is the series of books complete? That would make it series have an end...

It's going to be 9 seasons at least.

7 planned books. 3rd book is looking to be 2 seasons with some of the following book(s) mixed in at the end. I can see them doing that again in the future too.

Thank you.

Tess3ract

Banned
Which is also on HBO. I'm asking if it's a mini series.

Basically, is the series of books complete? That would make it series have an end...

Thank you.
Mini series don't last for two seasons or more, and there will be many seasons if interest in the show remains as high as it is now.

7 Planned books, there's 5 out so far.

Arment

I'm starting to have doubts about the books finishing before the series.

I just read some stuff where Martin says he thinks it'll take him 3 years to finish TWoW (if we're so lucky) and that there's a possibility if TWoW gets too big he'll give it the AFFC/ADWD treatment. More books if true.

On a positive note, since he's so involved with the HBO show, he might actually leave behind some great notes on how the series ends. If he should pass away before he can finish, someone will finish the series. Abercrombie would be my pick.

apana

HBO already knows how the series ends, the outline is in their vault.

HBO has a vault? I thought he only told David and Dan, besides having an ending on paper and actually writing the story is very different. He knows the major plot points but he doesn't plan out much beyond that, a lot changes in the process of writing it.

jett

D-Member

I just read some stuff where Martin says he thinks it'll take him 3 years to finish TWoW (if we're so lucky) and that there's a possibility if TWoW gets too big he'll give it the AFFC/ADWD treatment. More books if true.

On a positive note, since he's so involved with the HBO show, he might actually leave behind some great notes on how the series ends. If he should pass away before he can finish, someone will finish the series. Abercrombie would be my pick.

HBO catching up to the books is an inevitability.

Tess3ract

Banned
HBO has a vault? I thought he only told David and Dan, besides having an ending on paper and actually writing the story is very different. He knows the major plot points but he doesn't plan out much beyond that, a lot changes in the process of writing it.
I mean like, HBO generally knows the ending so if he dies then they have something to go on.

Peff

It is also irrelevant, to be honest. People worry way too much about something that is five or more years from now when there's so much stuff that could go wrong in the near future: actors leaving, kids growing, budget cuts, the showrunners changing, people losing interest because of AFFC/ADWD, etc. Considering D&D's new scenes are generally decent to good and that the sixth book should start showing the light at the end of the tunnel (lol it won't), an original last season is not that big of a deal, I think.

apana

It is also irrelevant, to be honest. People worry way too much about something that is five or more years from now when there's so much stuff that could go wrong in the near future: actors leaving, kids growing, budget cuts, the showrunners changing, people losing interest because of AFFC/ADWD, etc. Considering D&D's new scenes are generally decent to good and that the sixth book should start showing the light at the end of the tunnel (lol it won't), an original last season is not that big of a deal, I think.

It is a big deal if it were to happen but honestly I trust David, Dan, and George so I think everything will work out in the end. I don't expect this show to reach the end.

The show will surpass the books. It's inevitable (well unless the show meets an early demise, but that seems unlikely at the moment). The only question is if the 6th book will be out before the show reaches it in time to produce the season. There is no chance that the 7th the book will be out before the show reaches it, outside of a miracle. They could bide some time and stretch out AFFC/ADWD but that is a fate worse than death. Or maybe they could have a couple seasons of new material about the adventures of Ros.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
HBO catching up to the books is an inevitability.
At which point GRRM will have to finish the last books!

I wouldn't want him to pass away unexpectedly. I'd like for him to finish his story.

What really sucks is since he is so active in the production of the TV show (writing episodes, ect) it is taking away time from the actual books. Its amazing how busy he has become since Storm of Swords released (it took less than 5 years to release books 1 - 3 and then another 5 years to release Feast and another 5 years for Dance.) It is really disappointing to say the least. I wish he would prioritize asoiaf ahead of all else. If he does get WoW out by 2014, i will be impressed(which would be 3 years since dance)

KingK

Only miscast is Cersei. And that isn't "oh I envisioned..." it's just truth. She doesn't act the way Cersei does. She doesn't look even close to as described.

There was backlash about "Yara" because she isn't a perfect 10 model like some thought she'd be. Although, in their defense, the book says "Asha is lean and long-legged, with short black hair and a sharp nose in a thin face." I'd of thought they'd keep the short hair because it's a battle thing.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that everyone who's down on Asha/Yara casting is because they wanted her to be a perfect 10. The book described her as a lean/athletic built girl who's fairly attractive and has short hair. The woman playing Yara doesn't look athletic at all (which is the most important aspect of the physical appearance, imo) and isn't attractive at all. She's slightly below average looking. Plus, while in some scenes she properly conveys the cocky arrogance and teasing nature, there are others where she's just fucking grim and somber, which doesn't fit the character at all. She's the 2nd worst casting choice behind Cersei, imo.

Cersei is shit because she refuses to read the books, and her acting suffers because of it
Why is she shit?

All Books Spoilers
People who have read the books see Cersei as the POV character in AFFC/ADWD. You could argue this Cersei is not the same as the Cersei from AGOT/ACOK. Joffrey's murder definitely changed her for the worse.

KingK

Why is she shit?

All Books Spoilers
People who have read the books see Cersei as the POV character in AFFC/ADWD. You could argue this Cersei is not the same as the Cersei from AGOT/ACOK. Joffrey's murder definitely changed her for the worse.

That's true, but even at this point she's supposed to be seductive and have a "fiery" personality. Lena Heady just doesn't give off the presence Cersei is supposed to have. Although I will say she's improved greatly this season compared to first season. A big step in the right direction, but still not quite there.

Mordeccai

I've always wanted to see more of the era with the Mad King leading up to Roberts rebellion, it would be awesome if the show got to a point where Martin needed another year to breathe and release the novel so they did a prequel season.

But, that would probably heavily involve Martin writing it, and detract from his time that should be spent working on the novels.

Cersei is shit because she refuses to read the books, and her acting suffers because of it

You guys act like actors appear on set, someone calls action, they act, and that's it. Don't forget that the DIRECTOR is the one saying, "That's perfect!"

If the director is unhappy with her performance and doesn't do anything about it, he/she is a shit director.
If the director is happy with her performance, don't shit on the actor because she doesn't fit YOUR view.

Given GRRM's apparent involvement in the show, if he took huge issue with it, do you think he would have said something by now?

apana

What really sucks is since he is so active in the production of the TV show (writing episodes, ect) it is taking away time from the actual books. Its amazing how busy he has become since Storm of Swords released (it took less than 5 years to release books 1 - 3 and then another 5 years to release Feast and another 5 years for Dance.) It is really disappointing to say the least. I wish he would prioritize asoiaf ahead of all else. If he does get WoW out by 2014, i will be impressed(which would be 3 years since dance)

No it's not, he writes one episode per season. He is spending his time on other stuff.

Dance (Tywin) refuses to read the books too, is his performance "shit" because of it? Her performance was bad in S1 because of the direction the Weiss/Benioff decided to take it imo, and the directors.

She is much better in S2 mainly because her performance is less one dimensional (ie morose and scowling). She's more vulnerable, funny, and manipulative thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom