• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't get the Asha hate. She fits the character really well.

I thought she would be smug with a good amount of charisma mixed in. However the show has her as more of a boring dud with a weird evil smile. Also she does not look anything like I imagined her or how the book described her.

Massa

I thought she was that. In the book describes her as being a woman that dresses in clothes that shows her body. The character doesn't show much range in
the first 3 books
. She's a brooding, protective, ruthless person/mother that shows love for her kids at times but other than that shows no emotion. She strings men a long using her looks. She a MILF that seduces a young man. Characters have also mentioned how beautiful she is. Characters always mention how little she smiles. I don't think the character is being played wrong. I think she's just a bitter, warped bitch, upset over the hand she's been dealt in life.

Please use spoiler tags in this thread.

Trasher

So I just finished the second book.

After I finished the first book there was an extra chapter for Theon to preview ACOK. When I got to that chapter in ACOK it was slightly different and had more added to it, which essentially made reading the preview chapter worthless. Is this the case for all of these preview chapters?

After I finished the first book there was an extra chapter for Theon to preview ACOK. When I got to that chapter in ACOK it was slightly different and had more added to it, which essentially made reading the preview chapter worthless. Is this the case for all of these preview chapters?
Yeah. No reason to read them.

Dysun

I read the books after watching the first season so my perspective might be skewed but I don't think Cersei is miscast and the portrayal seems very much like the book has her act.

Her eyebrows are alive

sUSCR.gif

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've made the difficult decision to quit watching the show until I have read the books. I'm nearly done with the first book now.

Maybe it wont be so bad. By the time I get done with the books it will probably be on season 3 or something and I'll have plenty of episodes to watch back to back. Don't get me wrong the show is great but I think I would have enjoyed the book much more if I hadn't already watched season 1 and part of season 2.

Dany

Banned
I started listing to AFFC audibooks. I stopped in december at 1/5 through because it was slow, now I'm 3/5 through and am enjoying it. Listening to it as I run.

I just got the samwells chapter where he meets arya and that man that met Dany, Xaro? One concern I have for the books is that we stray way to a lot more minor characters like the greyjoys and Marcella with the martells. I'm curious how thats handled

I started listing to AFFC audibooks. I stopped in december at 1/5 through because it was slow, now I'm 3/5 through and am enjoying it. Listening to it as I run.

I just got the samwells chapter where he meets arya and that man that met Dany, Xaro? One concern I have for the books is that we stray way to a lot more minor characters like the greyjoys and Marcella with the martells. I'm curious how thats handled

Feast
Um, different black guy, you racist! Xhondo is just a Summer Islander he meets on Bravos. Also, Xaro is white in the books.

Also, Roy Dotrice just completed recording the audiobook a couple of months ago, and is supposed to be far better. You might want to switch if you are using audible or something, rather than having purchased the book.

Dany

Banned
Feast
Um, different black guy, you racist! Xhondo is just a Summer Islander he meets on Bravos. Also, Xaro is white in the books.

Also, Roy Dotrice just completed recording the audiobook a couple of months ago, and is supposed to be far better. You might want to switch if you are using audible or something, rather than having purchased the book.

Yeah, I redownloaded them from audible and was thankfully shocked to here Dotrices voice. Lee was so bad.

Extras are expensive, so it might seem that way, but there are a few hundred on the wall. The thing about walls, is you have to get over them, and that is hard.

Plus, the majority of the Rangers are on a strategic location. Hard to march an army past them.

Unless that was a joke based on the picture that I just don't get.

Puddles

Banned

See, those characters really aren't that minor though. The problem with the books is that they focus too much on things that are unimportant. Those characters have important things happening, but the book indulges in describing the world around them and all the unimportant minutiae therein. The show is so refreshing because all of that descriptiveness can be condensed into the visuals and tone instead of being painstakingly spelled out in words. That way, they can focus on the important stuff.

To be fair, he also seems to be taking
characters like Arya off on ridiculous tangents that will never EVER connect back to the story. This problem persists into ADWD, particularly with regard to Dany's storyline.

CassSept

To be fair [AFFC]
these characters aren't minor but are key plotlines being set up for the last two books. You know, it's hard to continue the plots from first three books if they are nearly all wrapped up, over 1/2 of key characters are dead and some lost/in a completely different place. I guess Martells and Greyjoys will play a highly important role in the future, but GRRM wants the readers to acquaint to them first

Famassu

To be fair, he also seems to be taking
characters like Arya off on ridiculous tangents that will never EVER connect back to the story. This problem persists into ADWD, particularly with regard to Dany's storyline.
So you've read The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring? Since you say that in such confidence. I don't see how either one of your claims are in any way true. There are some pretty obvious ways how SERIES
Arya's assassin stuff can connect to a NUMBER of storylines. And Meereen was absolutely necessary for Dany to make her a better & stronger ruler, since she had no experience of being one (at least when it comes to ruling a city, let alone a kingdom). She'll be back in TWOW with a no-BS attitude instead of trying to make it work by trying to please everyone. Cities WILL burn.

Yep. George rewrites and edits constantly. Its partly why he takes so long.

So you've read The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring? Since you say that in such confidence. I don't see how either one of your claims are in any way true. There are some pretty obvious ways how SERIES
Arya's assassin stuff can connect to a NUMBER of storylines. And Meereen was absolutely necessary for Dany to make her a better & stronger ruler, since she had no experience of being one (at least when it comes to ruling a city, let alone a kingdom). She'll be back in TWOW with a no-BS attitude instead of trying to make it work by trying to please everyone. Cities WILL burn.

I 100% agree with your assessment of Dany. Series
Her fall from grace of sorts was necessarily. Dragons dont sow. I would however agree with the haters that it was given far too many chapters. If george's intention was to make us feel as frustrated as she was, he succeeded spectacularly. It did however make thos last two chapters sweeter which i appreciated even more on the re-read.

Series
As far as the arya stuff, i dont see how anyone could guess its not going somewhere like you said. She is becoming an assassin in a world full of very bad people. It also gives us a minor insight into another aspect of a god and its worshipers who appear to have legitimate power like Rhollor and his priests.

"absolutely necessary?" C'mon. At least not to the extent that we got. We could be much further into that arc by now, without really losing much. It actually sours me on every one of those scenes in the show, knowing that [not really a spoiler]
it's all going nowhere fast.

Series
As far as the arya stuff, i dont see how anyone could guess its not going somewhere like you said. She is becoming an assassin in a world full of very bad people. It also gives us a minor insight into another aspect of a god and its worshipers who appear to have legitimate power like Rhollor and his priests.

Also, the fact that [series]
she repeats the names of people she wants dead every night, and then becomes an assassin, is quite convenient and an obvious connection. Knowing this, it probably won't come true.

Famassu

"absolutely necessary?" C'mon. At least not to the extent that we got. We could be much further into that arc by now, without really losing much. It actually sours me on every one of those scenes in the show, knowing that [not really a spoiler]
Yes, it was absolutely necessary. If SERIES
Meereen didn't happen to Dany, she could've perhaps gone to Westeros, but she would've just failed in there instead of Meereen (IF she had even gotten to the Iron Throne) and that would've probably resulted to her death or at least never being able to sit on the Iron Throne. Also, the slave trading would've continued in Meereen & the other cities. Yeah, there's some fluff in her story, but not that much, really. It's all building to her finally getting ready to go to Westeros while possibly also resolving the problems with the Slave traders once & for all. There are plenty of important things that happened in Meereen and while it was at times frustrating how nothing she did succeeded or made the situation any better, I see that as being intentional. The chapter where she's just all "FUCK IT, I'M OUTTA HERE FLYING ON MAH DRAGON" or where Barristan decides to finally act wouldn't have felt nearly as awesome had it not been for the numerous chapters where everything is going to shit. Anyways, some pretty important plot developments from Meereen:

1) making it clear that the dragons are, indeed, wild beasts and not just an automatic, easily controllable key to victory.

2) making conquering Westeros harder for Dany (once she gets there), given the death of a certain character

3) teaching Dany a few things about ruling and how to handle certain kind of people

4) getting her into contact with the Dothraki again

5) Tyrion coming into contact with people who could help him get back to Westeros (while helping Dany) & help on his revenge on Cersei

All this while the Iron Born are coming to Meereen with their fleet of ships (if Dany doesn't take advantage of them to get to Westeros, I'd be surprised). Saying most of Dany's chapters in ADWD could've been left out is as dumb as saying they should've just gotten the battle of Blackwater out of the way in the early parts of ACOK instead of building up for it for most of the book. It builds her character in important ways as well as sets up future plot developments while also continuing to offer a story that is hard to predict for readers and never goes where you'd THINK it would go. Face it, people are just mad because they think Dany should be in Westeros, not because nothing interesting happens to her. Had these similar kind of events happened to her in Westeros, I'm not sure if too many people would be complaining. I'd say the only bigger problem with the Meereen storyline is where it ends (almost nothing gets resolved), but this is a bit of a problem with most of ADWD (yet that's only a problem for as long as the book series is incomplete, once you can just read through the whole saga, that kind of thing doesn't matter much).

You guys are in the wrong thread. Take this to the Umarked Spoilers thread. There is no relevance to the show at this point, and there is no sense to have so many spoiler risks to non readers.

New episode tonight:
The Old Gods and the New

Theon completes his master stroke. In King’s Landing, the Lannisters send Myrcella from harm’s way in the nick of time. Arya comes face to face with a surprise visitor; Dany vows to take what is hers; Robb and Catelyn receive crucial news; Qhorin gives Jon a chance to prove himself.

CrankyJay

Banned
I thought she would be smug with a good amount of charisma mixed in. However the show has her as more of a boring dud with a weird evil smile. Also she does not look anything like I imagined her or how the book described her.

Same. She seems a hollow character to me compared to the books.

Arment

Also, the fact that [series]
she repeats the names of people she wants dead every night, and then becomes an assassin, is quite convenient and an obvious connection. Knowing this, it probably won't come true.

I think I'll trust George, he's delivered a spectacular story so far.

Series
Arya's story is a fan favorite. I don't know anyone who thinks it's meandering and will "never ever" go anywhere. Did you know George is probably doing a time skip of about 4-5 years? What you're complaining about is such a non-issue.

As for Dany, did you expect her to be in Westeros by now? Because I didn't. She'd be going in half cocked with her Dragons riderless and untrained, her ruling edge dull. You're just very impatient it seems. Epics may not be for you. Don't read the Wheel of Time, you might have a conniption :lol

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Should be a great episode tonight... can't wait!!

[COK]
Theon, you dick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom