• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading somewhere (probably this thread or linked from it) that D&D actually prefer that the actors don't read the books...although a lot of them do anyway

No it's not, he writes one episode per season. He is spending his time on other stuff.

as per his wiki (take it or leave it, who knows how accurate it is, but it falls in line with my concerns)
During completion of A Dance With Dragons and other projects, George R. R. Martin was also heavily involved in the production of a television series adaptation of the A Song of Ice and Fire books named after the first book, A Game of Thrones. Martin's involvement included the selection of a production team and participation in scriptwriting; he is listed in the opening credits as an executive producer of the series.

and as I said, it isn't just his writing duties on the show (which i am sure add to a consulting role on more than JUST his written episodes). Who knows how deep his involvement goes with the Wild Cards film. My point is that he has plenty of distractions that take him away from finishing his books in a more timely manner (like he did when he wasn't doing multiple projects. Again, 3 books, 5 years. His popularity got the best of him!)

Tess3ract

Banned
Dance (Tywin) refuses to read the books too, is his performance "shit" because of it? Her performance was bad in S1 because of the direction the Weiss/Benioff decided to take it imo, and the directors.

She is much better in S2 mainly because her performance is less one dimensional (ie morose and scowling). She's more vulnerable, funny, and manipulative thus far.
Tywin has a ton less facetime, this is the most he gets in the series pretty much. That being said, Dance is a better actor than cersei will ever be. He at least has a range of emotions other than a scowl.

Tywin has a ton less facetime, this is the most he gets in the series pretty much. That being said, Dance is a better actor than cersei will ever be. He at least has a range of emotions other than a scowl.

He's also been given more written chances to develop as a character through his new respect for Tyrion and Arya. When Cersei/Headey has been allowed to show some more range, she's done well. She just hasn't been given that many chances.

I'm reading Book 2 now, but given the responses here, I had thought I'd see Cersei be this multidimensional character. She's just as much of a heartless bitch in the books and is just starting to show some cunning in Book 2, when Tyrion isn't busy making her look like an idiot.

I still don't love the Cersei casting, but I have admitted in this thread that I think it is mostly the showrunners fault for trying to make her something she isn't and probably should not be.

I don't care if they choose to read the books or not, because this is an adaptation, not a recreation. Given the choice, I would probably choose to read, or at least read my parts in context to understand what the character is. But even without, it is a failure of writing/directing if the actor can't come in and get it right without doing so.

Robert's Rebellion would be cool, but totally impossible as anything other than a big budget movie. HBO just can't afford to do those battles. Battle on the Trident, though, that would be so good.

I would love to get Dunk & Egg, though. A four hour season for each book would be perfect. Although I can already imagine the Hedge Knight is a Knight's Tale comparisons.

I don't care if they choose to read the books or not, because this is an adaptation, not a recreation. Given the choice, I would probably choose to read, or at least read my parts in context to understand what the character is. But even without, it is a failure of writing/directing if the actor can't come in and get it right without doing so.

This, precisely. It's ridiculous to think that actors have to read the books to play a great onscreen interpretation of characters.

Zabka

He's also been given more written chances to develop as a character through his new respect for Tyrion and Arya. When Cersei/Headey has been allowed to show some more range, she's done well. She just hasn't been given that many chances.

I'm reading Book 2 now, but given the responses here, I had thought I'd see Cersei be this multidimensional character. She's just as much of a heartless bitch in the books and is just starting to show some cunning in Book 2, when Tyrion isn't busy making her look like an idiot.

The idea that Cersei is some kind of slinky seductress seems to come more from fan art than anything. She's a hot, bitter, paranoid mother of 3.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Looks like it's time for:

o5RQl.gif

My only problem with Lena's Cersei was her "holding back a massive shit" expression throughout S01, but she hasn't been doing it much this season. She's getting more chances to expand on her performance so it's cool.

That she looks much better out of the show is also a bit of an issue. Same goes for Emilia Clarke. Damn dem wigs!

I think Lena Headey is doing a better job this year in part because she has more scenes with Peter Dinklage. Dinklage/Tyrion is like a great athlete on a sports team- he makes everyone around him better.

I don't get the Asha hate. She fits the character really well.

Beyond her visual look being a fair bit different than the books, my issue is that "Yara"seems way more subdued and occasionally almost morose than Asha. I guess I always pictured Asha as quite cocky and in Theon's face about it but always with a smug/evil smile. "Yara" has that at times, but other moments she's all deathly serious and kind of humorless. And her body language doesn't always match her attitude - she seems to be kind of hunched over a lot which is contradictory to how at ease and confident Asha should be, strutting about.

I think Komarck has pretty great visualizations of the Lannisters (including Cersei), as well as some of the other characters in his calendar.

Warning: Some potential spoilers. Not HUGE, but they go through Storm.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24536997@N08/sets/72157622240078878/detail/

Cersei is definitely supposed to be very attractive. She is vain, willing to use her body and her wiles to get what she wants. She was one of the most beautiful women in the world when she married, and is now mid 30s, three children and a decade and a half later. Her vanity and her looks being the source of much of her power means that she maintains herself. Not what she once was, but she should definitely be very seductive and attractive.

Lena Headey fits the bill in her day to day life, but her Cersei falls a bit short, in my opinion.

Zabka

I think Komarck has pretty great visualizations of the Lannisters (including Cersei), as well as some of the other characters in his calendar.

Warning: Some potential spoilers. Not HUGE, but they go through Storm.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24536997@N08/sets/72157622240078878/detail/

Cersei is definitely supposed to be very attractive. She is vain, willing to use her body and her wiles to get what she wants. She was one of the most beautiful women in the world when she married, and is now mid 30s, three children and a decade and a half later. Her vanity and her looks being the source of much of her power means that she maintains herself. Not what she once was, but she should definitely be very seductive and attractive.

Lena Headey fits the bill in her day to day life, but her Cersei falls a bit short, in my opinion.

Her power comes from her position and her father's money. At what point does she use her looks to her advantage?

She couldn't win over Robert. He only married her for political reasons. Her seductive wiles didn't work on Ned. He didn't buy her line of bullshit. If she wasn't such an asshole to Tyrion they wouldn't be at odds. After losing Jaime she turns her seductive powers on LANCEL. Fucking Lancel. What does that gain her?

And how would a woman who's gone through 4 pregnancies in a medieval society who doesn't exercise "maintain herself"?

Fuu

(series)
Cersei is supposed to be attractive but I honestly don't remember her sex-appeal being that much of a deal in the books (I'm in the first half of AFFC), nor other characters going on about how hot and seductive she is. On that front she just seem to keep thinking about fucking Jaime (and Lancel for a bit, lol). She's somewhat vain when it comes to dresses but I can't recall a point where she uses her looks/body to achieve something. She's actually always pissed about not being taken seriously for being a woman in a man's world.

Can you guys point me to an excerpt where this kind of thing is made obvious in the first 3 books? Or is it something that's more prevalent in AFFC/ADWD? I'm not trying to dispute this, I just can't seem to remember it being a relevant fact about the character at all.

As for Yara/Asha, I found Gemma Whelan to be very charismatic in that latest Thronecast interview. "We yield!" was fun, I hope they write more scenes like that for her.

In order to answer that question I would have to cross the line from the character as she exists compared to the character in the show, and this isn't really the thread for it, especially not without a ton of spoilers that I don't like to bring in to this thread.

Although apparently all women in medieval societies were fat slobs who couldn't maintain themselves to age 35.

edit: To Fuu
I will limit it, for the reasons stated above
Clash
Easiest example is probably her attempt to establish a powerbase to counter Tyrion through the Kettleblacks.

Fuu

edit: To Fuu
I will limit it, for the reasons stated above
Clash
Easiest example is probably her attempt to establish a powerbase to counter Tyrion through the Kettleblacks.
Ah right,
I didn't remember she slept with one/some of them. That would certainly add to the seduction thing considering throwing Lannister gold at them would probably suffice but then she went the extra mile.

Ah right,
I didn't remember she slept with one/some of them. That would certainly add to the seduction thing considering throwing Lannister gold at them would probably suffice but then she went the extra mile.

I sent you a PM on the subject to take it out of the thread.

Zabka, if you want my thoughts let me know and I can forward it your way. It is book stuff, though, and not TV stuff, with Spoilers through Feast.

Fuu

I sent you a PM on the subject to take it out of the thread.

Zabka, if you want my thoughts let me know and I can forward it your way. It is book stuff, though, and not TV stuff, with Spoilers through Feast.
Just read it, good points. (AFFC)
Very interested in reading the rest of her chapters in Feast, her cognitive dissonance is fun to witness too (like when she suggests Tywin was just "interrogating" Shae).

Yes. Series
You have to take everything she says with a grain of salt, because she seems to be the very definition of an unreliable narrator.

Trasher

I honestly don't mind Lena Headey at all to be honest.

Asha on the other hand feels off to me sometimes. Almost as if the actress is trying too hard. Not all of the time, but sometimes...

fallout

On the Asha/Yara stuff, I guess I just disagree. Her attitude and demeanour is pretty much how I pictured her in the book. She's cocky, but has that Ironborn hard-ass quality to her.

Zabka

In order to answer that question I would have to cross the line from the character as she exists compared to the character in the show, and this isn't really the thread for it, especially not without a ton of spoilers that I don't like to bring in to this thread.

Although apparently all women in medieval societies were fat slobs who couldn't maintain themselves to age 35.
Who said anything about being fat? After having 4 kids without Jazzercise, modern doctors, proper skin care, tummy tucks, breast lifts and butt lifts, nature takes it toll.

ronito

I heard a female co-worker complaining about how Game of Thrones only had "model beautiful women on for the men to watch."

I replied "have you seen the men?"

She just smiled and walked away.

CassSept

http://i.minus.com/i55qCeFzO6pNK.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Haha what, was that really on the show?

Damn, new episode was at the same time good and conflicting. I don't know how to feel about major changes here and there.
At the same time, casting is perfect. Pyatt Pree was impressive and it was a shame to see such a good Tickler being offed so early. Sigh. [ADWD][spoiler]I'm even getting used to Asha, though I still can't imagine her in some of her later scenes.[/spoiler]

She comes across as bland and lacks charisma, that's not how I pictured Asha.

I agree! Her actor is just not conveying the same sense of confidence. She's one of the worst cast characters on the show in my opinion. She's also hard to look at. Sorry apologists but she is.

I agree! Her actor is just not conveying the same sense of confidence. She's one of the worst cast characters on the show in my opinion. She's also hard to look at. Sorry apologists but she is.

I don't have a problem with her appearance, other than I had imagined Asha, as a warrior and captain of her own ship, as far more imposing. I think she does well in the scenes where's she antagonising Theon, but wonder how she will cope with the character further into the story.

charsace

The idea that Cersei is some kind of slinky seductress seems to come more from fan art than anything. She's a hot, bitter, paranoid mother of 3.

I thought she was that. In the book describes her as being a woman that dresses in clothes that shows her body.
The character doesn't show much range in the first 3 books.
She's a brooding, protective, ruthless person/mother that shows love for her kids at times but other than that shows no emotion. She strings men a long using her looks. She a MILF that seduces a young man. Characters have also mentioned how beautiful she is. Characters always mention how little she smiles. I don't think the character is being played wrong. I think she's just a bitter, warped bitch, upset over the hand she's been dealt in life.

Hey, bengraven is back.

Also, if we're talking about awkward youtube shipping vids.... (might be some later book spoilers in there)

This may be frustrating to those of you who read the books (I have not) but this is a really good critique of the show from Emily Nussbaum in The New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/criti..._television_nussbaum?currentPage=all&mobify=0
Yeah, that's been posted in this thread a few times already and discussed a bit in the past few pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom