• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Just finished reading Clash of Kings, which means I can finally start reading this thread. I'm five episodes into season 1, and will watch season 2 when it hits video.

How does this season stack up to the first?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just finished reading Clash of Kings, which means I can finally start reading this thread. I'm five episodes into season 1, and will watch season 2 when it hits video.

Episodes 1-5 of season 2>episodes 1-5 of season 1 easily.

Subitai

I wouldn't come in here until you're done with ASoS. Most of the speculation in here is about what happens in that book.

Getting set for the new episode - not any new content here, but in case anyone wants to have a look:

- Preview for tonight's episode "The Old Gods and the New" (youtube, please spoiler tag any discussion)

Something that I've been wondering about [ACOK spoilers; also reference to Episode 17 synopsis]:
I'm starting to wonder whether Jon will kill the Halfhand in this episode. We've seen multiple trailers and teasers showing the shot of Jon doing a downward thrust with his sword, and tonight is the episode he does it in. Now, is he killing a wildling...or could he be killing the Halfhand to save Ygritte's life? The bits we've seen from the Halfhand show a man who demands the NW be as vicious and fearless as the wildlings, perhaps he goes too far and Jon takes him out. The synopsis says he's given a "choice" by the Halfhand, which obviously is referring to the part of the book where he asks Jon to kill Ygritte.

This may seem crazy I know, but I'm just curious because next episode's synopsis makes no reference to the Halfhand. It just says "Jon is lost in the wilderness" which might suggest he's alone.

That might be the worst mangling they could do.
I assume the choice is just that, and lost is lost, but not alone. If they were going to do that, might as well cut the Halfhand and just have Jon stumble upon Ygritte while scouting.

Lothar

Banned
New episode tonight:

The Old Gods and the New

Theon completes his master stroke. In King’s Landing, the Lannisters send Myrcella from harm’s way in the nick of time. Arya comes face to face with a surprise visitor; Dany vows to take what is hers; Robb and Catelyn receive crucial news; Qhorin gives Jon a chance to prove himself.

CoK

When doesn't Dany
vow to take what is hers
? She did that in the last episode.

But this looks like the episode where shit finally starts going down though. Equivalent to King Robert dying in season 1.

diunxx

Something that I've been wondering about [ACOK spoilers; also reference to Episode 17 synopsis]:
I'm starting to wonder whether Jon will kill the Halfhand in this episode. We've seen multiple trailers and teasers showing the shot of Jon doing a downward thrust with his sword, and tonight is the episode he does it in. Now, is he killing a wildling...or could he be killing the Halfhand to save Ygritte's life? The bits we've seen from the Halfhand show a man who demands the NW be as vicious and fearless as the wildlings, perhaps he goes too far and Jon takes him out. The synopsis says he's given a "choice" by the Halfhand, which obviously is referring to the part of the book where he asks Jon to kill Ygritte.

This may seem crazy I know, but I'm just curious because next episode's synopsis makes no reference to the Halfhand. It just says "Jon is lost in the wilderness" which might suggest he's alone.

That's probably Ygrette's lover, or him trying to kill Ygrette and then dramatically deviating the blade in the last second

Better television, worse adaptation would be my personal opinion that I think most share.
That is a good measure of the pulse in this thread, though I think they've done a great job adapting the season given the constraints they've been dealt (budget, casting, number of episodes, etc...) I have a few minor quibbles and complaints, but on the whole I think they're nailing it.
I wouldn't come in here until you're done with ASoS. Most of the speculation in here is about what happens in that book.
Very true. People that aren't finished with the whole series should also be careful about highlighting unlabeled spoilers in this thread. Make sure it's labeled with a book you've finished before you read them, and you might be better off just avoiding the thread until you finish ASoS.
Something that I've been wondering about...
Supposedly [some comments/spoilers on tonight's episode and later episodes]
tonight is when there is a bigger deviation from the books, though I think it's with respect to Arya not Jon. Gutshot mentioned another thing in the ADWD thread, too, but that had nothing to do with what's going on with Jon. I'm interested to see how it all plays out. The critics seemed to think it's a good episode tonight and televisionary said it was his favorite so far, fwiw.
Do you remember when they started announcing casting for season 2 last year?
I think most of the big ones (Davos, Melissandre, Stannis, etc...) were announced in mid-July.

GhaleonEB

It's frustrating because there seems to be a hajillion Game of Thrones threads, but nowhere I can actually discuss where I'm at. I caught up with where the show is at in hopes of being able to at least talk about the book in an active thread. :\

Here is usually okay the night of the show, when they are just discussing the episode. Avoid spoiler tags if you haven't read through Storm, and you will probably be fine.

Mid-week it is all speculation and book talk, and almost nothing but spoilers.

Alternatively, post in the other thread, but just discuss the episode you have just seen, don't make predictions or anything, even if they have strayed far from the book in some respects.

It's frustrating because there seems to be a hajillion Game of Thrones threads, but nowhere I can actually discuss where I'm at. I caught up with where the show is at in hopes of being able to at least talk about the book in an active thread. :\
Stinkles' thread is probably your best bet: OK nerds, you win. Song of Ice and Fire is gud.

That's active and the spoilers should be labeled with the appropriate book. If you post your thoughts there, people will most likely respond.

The spoiler tagged book thread is very good and active
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210654

This thread is fine, and people tend to mark spoilers appropriately. Anything labeled "ACOK" is fine, whereas "Series" and other labels aren't safe

I'd say season two is significantly better than season one so far

GhaleonEB

Thanks for that thread. I posted there a few times reading Game of Thrones but got no response, and posts were few and far between. Seems to be decently active again.

I'll duck out of here then.

Since I'm a season behind on the show, after each episode I go back to the GAF thread and read from the time that episode airs onward; not as good as being in the discussion at the time, but I enjoy reading others thoughts right after. So I'll probably be reading this thread in the fall. :lol

stupei

Pretty sure the botched execution is straight from the book, except obviously the difference being
in the book it's the guy who cares for the hounds, who I think they named tonight. Farlan? Something like that? One of those names I was always bad at remembering.
Much more effective and startling this way. Brutal and really well shot scene. Poor Rickon, he only gets to exist long enough to be traumatized -- first by his father's death, and now this.

It's not even up for debate how much Alfie Allen is just fucking NAILING Theon. From his looks to the obvious second guessing of what he's doing to his insecurity. Just perfect.

Magnus

Regarding the botched beheading: [Cok/SOS]
Wasn't that Robb and the Karstarks?He needed two or three hacks of his sword or something?

Magnus

So, safe to say this is the one that deviated the most from the books so far?

I don't recall
that slaughter at the end at all. Something to spur Dany on even more? to have her come to the House of the Undying with vengeance on her tongue instead of just curiousity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom