• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
The change is minor and is a good way to make Danys story interesting.

The way they continue to use Theon as a horny little bastard is perfect, they way they 'tightened' his arch this episode was good and made sense. Osha was awesome.

I liked the episode a lot, everything in Kings Landing was well done. Jeoffery is a dumbass. Jon and Ygritte was perfect, great casting for her. she didn't say the line though I was waiting for it :p Also, I'm pretty sure that littlefinger knew, why else would he leave the note?

Major ACOK.
He was working behind the scenes for essentially the entire book. I don't recall seeing him and learning what he was up to until after the Battle of the Blackwater when he brings Tyrell's and Tywin's armies to defeat Stannis.

Gotta get that screen time!

Clash
I really do like how they reworked Theon, and I can see how this will work to introduce the Bastard and the razing of Winterfell next season. Will miss Reek and the betrayal of Rodrik, however

One thing was dumb- Rodrik decided to just leave his men and come back to Winterfell on his own. LOL what?

Gotta get that screen time!

I actually like how they are executing it on the show because I consider him one of the more interesting characters, and I like the actor a lot too.

I dunno...I can't see any advantage to him of not pointing her out.

Littlefinger is not the world's biggest asshole. ASOS/AFFC
I really start to like him in ASOS when he saves Sansa from King's Landing and brings her to the Vale. His motives aren't exactly pure, but anything to distance him from the cesspool of King's Landing.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Excellent episode. Some book departures that I'm sure will be debated into the ground and I couldn't care less.

Major Clash and Storm of Swords spoilers:
So, at this point in time, have Roose and Tywin started talking about the Red wedding? Or is that not until Robb marrys Westerling?

Magnus

He never saw her face and she kept avoiding him.

Are you kidding, she failed miserably at fully concealing her face, and it was so obvious that he saw something he recognized, lol.

He turns toward her, and the gears in his head are visibly turning like crazy.

Because it would be a really fucking stupid change that would make no sense in regards to further events in the books.

What's so difficult to believe about Petyr sitting on information until it's useful to him? He's already been established as someone capable of playing anyone.

Somnia

So... fuck whoever posted that picture of Emilia's eyebrows because its all I could fucking notice when she was talking now.

Littlefinger has nothing to gain from hiding Arya, while giving her up makes Tywin more indebted to him. So if he does recognize her, it'd be odd for him to keep quiet.

Are you kidding, she failed miserably at fully concealing her face, and it was so obvious that he saw something he recognized, lol.

He turns toward her, and the gears in his head are visibly turning like crazy.

What's so difficult to believe about Petyr sitting on information until it's useful to him? He's already been established as someone capable of playing anyone.

Indeed. I really liked that scene, and it wasn't in the book. I'm trying to think if anything in Littlefinger's actions later on might have been dictated by him knowing Arya's whereabouts.

aceface

Because it would be a really fucking stupid change that would make no sense in regards to further events in the books.

I agree, there's no reason why he wouldn't give her up. Scene was dumb and makes Littlefinger look dumb.

Also Littlefinger would now be informing Tywin about Arya is missing. No way they don't put two and two together. The only thing I can think of is that they figure it out but it gets resolved next episode.

Major Clash and Swords spoilers:
So, at this point in time, have Roose and Tywin started talking about the Red wedding? Or is that not until Robb marrys Westerling?

Storm
I believe it starts when he holds Harrenhall. They get a Raven, a bunch of Frey's get pissed and storm off. I assume the planning starts around then.

Also, Spice Lord- was his family history
Clash/Storm
A hint that he could be related to the Westerlings through House Spicer? I recall they were foreign spice merchants.

You guys are way wrong if you think Baelish would help the Lannisters at no benefit to himself. And where is the benefit to himself?

That must be next week on Game of Bones.

Oh, I have no desire to see Asha/Yara naked. But Osha's actress would have been a fantastic Yara. Just to clarify.

Dany

Banned
Indeed. I really liked that scene, and it wasn't in the book. I'm trying to think if anything in Littlefinger's actions later on might have been dictated by him knowing Arya's whereabouts.

You sure about that....I thought I remembered something like that from the books...

Magnus

MAJOR COK/SOS
If nothing else, Roose showing up just as Cat reminds her son of the 'debt that must be paid'

was a huge nod to book readers.

Magnus

Also, were Ghost, Summer and Shaggydog all real wolves this week? They all looked...less fantastical than the CG wolves earlier this season, and smaller. No complaints though, just wondering.

Second question. From a non-book-reader's point of view, is there supposed to be any indication at all as to what the tower at the end is? It's a rather non-descript tower, and the captor is totally shrouded.

stupei

Ygritte was FANTASTIC. That is Gwen from Downton Abbey if anyone's trying to place her.

THANK YOU. It was driving me nuts.

I'm afraid Sybil is going to be very disappointed to learn that secretary position didn't turn out quite as good as everyone hoped.

There's a lot different from the books, but the only thing that really bothers me is the possibility that (ASOS)
foreign girl is going to replace Jeyne Westerling.

I'm more upset by the thought that she might eventually be altered to replace (ADWD)
Jeyne Poole.
It would make more thematic sense but... damn.

They could easily have him (CoK/SoS)
continue direct contact with Catelyn now that he "has" both girls, leading to them pushing up the start of the Jaime stuff from book three into the very end of the season.
He keeps the information to himself to gain directly from it rather than giving the rewards and benefits over to someone else. Like he said in the season premier, knowledge is power.

Magnus

I agree, there's no reason why he wouldn't give her up. Scene was dumb and makes Littlefinger look dumb.

Also Littlefinger would now be informing Tywin about Arya is missing. No way they don't put two and two together. The only thing I can think of is that they figure it out but it gets resolved next episode.

I'm unsure why it's difficult to believe that he might keep the knowledge to himself, even for just an episode. Robb is winning the war, and if LF suddenly found himself needing leverage to gain allegiance to the Starks, he could bring them Arya.

COK/SOS
I know this isn't what happens, but I mean, for the show version of Petyr's place in the story right now, isn't it possible he could be thinking this way?

I don't get it either. The show has created tons of additional scenes to show what a schemer Baelish is (and to give him screentime). There is no subtlety to his motivations in the show, even if his reasons may be mysterious.

I'm unsure why it's difficult to believe that he might keep the knowledge to himself, even for just an episode. Robb is winning the war, and if LF suddenly found himself needing leverage to gain allegiance to the Starks, he could bring them Arya.

He's only visiting Harrenhal, so he's not going to be able to keep track of Arya, making that information useless if he doesn't tell Tywin there and then.

stupei

COK/SOS
I know this isn't what happens, but I mean, for the show version of Petyr's place in the story right now, isn't it possible he could be thinking this way?

Yeah, agreed, but I don't think his only gain would be in joining with the Starks. In this episode Littlefinger is at Harrenhal, which Tyrion had originally promised him as part of that scheme to screw with everyone. He's at the very spot that he was promised as part of a game those higher born lords like the Lannisters play to toy with him.

But if he returns to King's Landing and says, "Hey guys, ps, I know where that girl is you're all desperately looking for," he can try to leverage something out of it -- like Harrenhal, or even more. If he says, "Tywin, this is the girl everybody needs very badly," what do you think he'd get out of it other than a, "Ah, good man"? Littlefinger isn't selfless. The only thing he has of value in this situation is his knowledge, as Tywin himself has Arya. He'll hold onto the knowledge until it serves him best to use it.

vehn

Asos
so how will bran know to go north of the wall to learn more about his dreams, given those two reed children I think it is aren't in the show. I thought it was those two children's idea to go up there, but they aren't in the show

Magnus

He's only visiting Harrenhal, so he's not going to be able to keep track of Arya, making that information useless if he doesn't tell Tywin there and then.

Therefore, "even for just an episode." If Petyr acted impulsively, he'd be an entirely different character. ;)

Dany

Banned
Asos
so how will bran know to go north of the wall to learn more about his dreams, given those two reed children I think it is aren't in the show. I thought it was those two children's idea to go up there, but they aren't in the show

Dreams.

Also, were Ghost, Summer and Shaggydog all real wolves this week? They all looked...less fantastical than the CG wolves earlier this season, and smaller. No complaints though, just wondering.

Second question. From a non-book-reader's point of view, is there supposed to be any indication at all as to what the tower at the end is? It's a rather non-descript tower, and the captor is totally shrouded.

I guess you're technically not supposed to quite know yet, but it's something that was mentioned already on the show. To be honest we're just guessing too based on where ACOK goes in Dany's story because that was a big diversion from the books.

aceface

I think there's too many variables for Littlefinger to be playing the situation like that. It's a war, what if the castle falls/Arya falls into northern hands etc etc. point her out, get the reward now.

Unless (COK spoilers)
he does point her out, which is the event that drives Arya to escape the castle. Maybe they won't have the northerners take it like in the book.

Yeah, agreed, but I don't think his only gain would be in joining with the Starks. In this episode Littlefinger is at Harrenhal, which Tyrion had originally promised him as part of that scheme to screw with everyone. He's at the very spot that he was promised as part of a game those higher born lords like the Lannisters play to toy with him.

But if he returns to King's Landing and says, "Hey guys, ps, I know where that girl is you're all desperately looking for," he can try to leverage something out of it -- like Harrenhal, or even more. If he says, "Tywin, this is the girl everybody needs very badly," what do you think he'd get out of it other than a, "Ah, good man"? Littlefinger isn't selfless. The only thing he has of value in this situation is his knowledge, as Tywin himself has Arya. He'll hold onto the knowledge until it serves him best to use it.

You think withholding information, dangling it in front of Tywin, and then trying to negotiate for a prize is a good idea? Littlefinger isn't in a position to strong arm Tywin Lannister like that.

And that information is time sensitive, he doesn't control Arya, he just knows where she is at a particular moment in time.

Asos

Storm
Osha goes to the only place she knows. They go and hide in Greywater Watch. They hide in the crypts and the Reeds somehow meet up with them. Or dreams, as above.

Asos

I would imagine Osha

Dany

Banned
Asos
They have already had Bran have dreams he hasn't had in the books an Osha is filling in the role of the two kids pretty well

COK
I wonder if theon is going to kill two kids, that happens next right? Theon is such a tragic figure in book 2, I hope they do his collapse well

Magnus

Asos

That all can be so easily ascribed to Osha, Bran's dreams, or some other existing element on the show.

Come on guys :p There are so many ways to reroute and rearrange the details in the books to accomodate the transition to the screen, all while still having the characters arrive at the same place. If not physically, then at least thematically.

edit - Beaten like Joffrey.

diunxx

COK/SOS

Series spoilers
LF is the one that comes up with the fake Arya plan so it makes no fucking sense for him to keep that info for himself

Not necessarily something you really want to know about before hand, but it was alluded to in a previous episode (assuming its what I think it is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom