• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
I just can't see
her releasing him, at all, at the moment
. Show-Cat is far less moronic than Book-Cat.
It isn't moronic since they've done enough to demonstrate on the show how he would be killed if he remains in captivity.

JoeTheBlow said:
edit: oh, just saw someone said the same yesterday.
Similarly rebuffed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37845728&postcount=9875
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37846040&postcount=9885

;)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
So I watched the episode and went to bed and proceeded to dream about the next episode which featured Martin Lawrence. At one point he showed up in his Big Mama's House getup.

Lothar

Banned
That was a disaster of an episode. An absolute crock of shit. A mockery of an HBO program. A blatant slap in the face to audiences that look for good television. Forget about the book. Put the book aside for a second, and view this episode and season objectively. The flaws are just too apparent, this has amateur hour written all over it.

Jaime being chained up with his cousin, really? Only one soldier noticing the commotion of a high-security prisoner being beaten? Clumsily rushing in by himself and approaching the body of the least important captive in the cage, assuming that a bug bit him to death apparently. And, oh look, he has the key! This all reads like a high school play, for fucks sake.

Please, I ask everyone in this thread to rewatch the scene of Jaime being dragged around in chains. The extras, oh my god, the extras. Stumbling around like drunks, it looks like they're taking more damage than Jaime. After being beaten by a club, an extra gives him a light tap with his foot, and the sound editing gives off a nice big THUMP as if it were a damaging blow. The guy in the middle of the shot about to fall off the horse. The tree branch getting stuck between the drunk extras. Inexcusable. The lack of direction in this show is unbelievable.

Why, why, why is so much time spent with Ygritte teasing Jon about being a virgin? Why do we get a 5 minute scene of Jaime's cousin looking up to him. Why in the living fuck is Tywin opening up to Arya, spending so much time with her? Turning his back to her. Discussing private high profile matters openly while she chows on mutton and seems to be having a grand old time, instead of being in hopeless despair crying herself to sleep every night.

This should be Tyrion's season. He swoops in and single-handedly rules the city. Instead of masterminding the defense of the city, he's sympathizing with Cersei about her inbred children.

I can't even bring myself to bring up any more flaws. The source material of this show now has a big steaming pile of 17 episode shit rotting it. How can a show with so much political intrigue, plotting and backstabbing spend this much time on Jon and Ygritte spooning when Stannis is 5 days away from invading King's Landing?

Enjoy your show, gaf.

I mostly agree with this. The upcoming battle is being given less time than Cersei complaining about her son and Jon being a virgin. Strange and stupid directing/writing considering how monumental the upcoming battle seemed in the books.

I loved Tywin and Arya's interaction for a long time but it's getting a little unrealistic.

Is this our first full on meltdown in here? It's entertaining as hell :lol

What he says is 100% true at the bottom though, whether or not you like the way he said it. They should be focusing more on the war and Tyrion getting the defense of the city ready.

Rimfya

Banned
I'm not that mad but I agree with most of those points.

Seemed to be all the marketing leading up to the season centred around Tyrion, rightfully so he was the stand out star of the show post-Ned. I've been hoping the show is going to centre around him in the last few episodes because there's been plenty of time wasted in the lead-up.

Lothar

Banned
I'm not that mad but I agree with most of those points.

Seemed to be all the marketing leading up to the season centred around Tyrion, rightfully so he was the stand out star of the show post-Ned. I've been hoping the show is going to centre around him in the last few episodes because there's been plenty of time wasted in the lead-up.

That's right, he should be getting as much screen time as Ned in Season 1. That's the way the book did it. The show was doing it like that.

I mostly agree with this. The upcoming battle is being given less time than Cersei complaining about her son and Jon being a virgin. Strange and stupid directing/writing considering how monumental the upcoming battle seemed in the books.

I loved Tywin and Arya's interaction for a long time but it's getting a little unrealistic.

What he says is 100% true at the bottom though, whether or not you like the way he said it. They should be focusing more on the war and Tyrion getting the defense of the city ready.

Why should they be focused on the battle preparations? Because YOU want them to? They are obviously focused on developing characters similarly to their book counterparts without the luxury of 1200 pages. Hell, GRRM spends about 80% of the books on character development, 10% moving the plot, 8% describing meals and 2% on battles.

tuco11

Apologize if this was answered already but is Season 2 ten episodes? If last week was eps. 7 how come at the end it said 2 episodes left?

thanks.

tino

Banned
I just to compliment how they add the confessions about the incest relationship by both Cersei and Jamies in the same episode. I don't remember that in the book.

That really raise the stake and the tension so much higher. You get the sense that both Cersei and Jamie realize this is the last stand for the Lannister name.

I still hate they made Jamie into a monster though, fuck that.

Ledsen

Why should they be focused on the battle preparations? Because YOU want them to? They are obviously focused on developing characters similarly to their book counterparts without the luxury of 1200 pages. Hell, GRRM spends about 80% of the books on character development, 10% moving the plot, 8% describing meals and 2% on battles.

lol. Such an awesome fantasy staple :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, my least favourite parts of the series are the battles. The talky chapters are the ones that fly by for me.

jett

D-Member
Is this our first full on meltdown in here? It's entertaining as hell :lol

Why is that a meltdown? What he said was spot on. The showed is a dumbed down, "My Very First Song of Ice and Fire" version of the books.

Another thing I don't like it's that Theon has seemingly become the main character of the season, instead of Tyrion. What's that all about.

Gregorn

Honestly, my least favourite parts of the series are the battles. The talky chapters are the ones that fly by for me.

You're saying that those
Tyrion and Davos
chapters towards the end of Clash of Kings were your least favourite?

I didn't think that opinion existed.

Massa

Why is that a meltdown? What he said was spot on. The showed is a dumbed down, "My Very First Song of Ice and Fire" version of the books.

Another thing I don't like it's that Theon has seemingly become the main character of the season, instead of Tyrion. What's that all about.

Theon's character goes through the most interesting changes, and his arc is closely tied to the Starks and Winterfell that the audience identifies with.

You're saying that those
Tyrion and Davos
chapters towards the end of Clash of Kings were your least favourite?

I didn't think that opinion existed.

Personally I love to the series for the interesting characters. The battles and political drama only serve to bring new character developments - to use the example I cited above, I don't care about who rules Winterfell or the North, but I find Theon's transformation incredibly exciting to watch.

Ruze789

Apologize if this was answered already but is Season 2 ten episodes? If last week was eps. 7 how come at the end it said 2 episodes left?

thanks.

I believe it was a promo mistake, since HBO pulled that 'Next Week' spot entirely after the second showing of the episode. There are 3 episodes left.

Meier

Probably already posted but I just came across this on The Onion and had to share it.

Game_of-R_jpg_635x345_crop-smart_upscale_q85.jpg

LOS ANGELES—According to insider sources, the future of HBO's Game Of Thrones is currently in doubt, with the hit fantasy series facing a dire shortage of weather-beaten, bedraggled old men to cast. "A lot of the big crowd scenes in season two really depleted the available pool of greasy-haired bearded actors over 70, and for the sake of continuity we can't really reuse them," executive producer D.B. Weiss said Monday, stressing the importance of having a minimum of one new elderly and disheveled male character in every episode of the epic drama. "I honestly don't know what we're going to do. In the third season, we have at least a dozen war room meetings to film, and you can't shoot a war room meeting without having at least two or three poorly groomed old guys with big, tangly beards hanging around."

The Game Of Thrones crisis is the latest in a series of casting woes to beleaguer HBO, which in March announced it had already used up its annual allocation of Steve Buscemi.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/game-of-thrones-running-out-of-unkempt-old-men-to,28183/

In my house we've taken to calling it "A Survey of Thrones" since everything is being so rushed.

I agree with the posters who have said that we should be seeing more about the lead up to
Blackwater
. I think Benioff and Weiss have really dropped the ball on a lot of this season. It's still a good show, but not a great one, and far from what HBO is capable of in drama.

Regarding Jon/Ygritte in the show vs the books
I think Jon will try to run, get cornered, the Halfhand will appear, and that's that. It sounds pretty lame so I hope I'm wrong :/

I have a worse fear ACOK
Jon tried to escape but doesn't, because he's an incapable idiot in the show, and the Wildlings actually capture the Halfhand and that's where they meet up again.

edit: Yeah, it's hard to argue with some of what he was saying in that meltdown. Except, the Tywin/Arya stuff. Their scenes are gold.

edit 2: but on the plus side, at least they're not wasting time on Ros anymore

frequency

I agree with a lot of the "meltdown". Although I'm not as angry about it and I'm still enjoying the show.

But I don't like where they're spending their time.
Could it be because of politics on set? Like certain actors have to have some amount of screen time?
That could be why the Tywin/Arya thing keeps going on and on and on.

... Though that doesn't explain what they're doing with Jon's story.

Ramirez

I'm glad I'm not one of those people who get upset everything isn't 1:1 with the books, I just enjoy it for what it is, which is a pretty decent adaptation of the books. We could have nothing at all...

CrankyJay

Banned
I agree with a lot of the "meltdown". Although I'm not as angry about it and I'm still enjoying the show.

But I don't like where they're spending their time.
Could it be because of politics on set? Like certain actors have to have some amount of screen time?
That could be why the Tywin/Arya thing keeps going on and on and on.

... Though that doesn't explain what they're doing with Jon's story.

Wouldn't make sense since Dinklage has top billing on the show. Wouldn't it make sense he gets the most screen time then?

frequency

I'm glad I'm not one of those people who get upset everything isn't 1:1 with the books, I just enjoy it for what it is, which is a pretty decent adaptation of the books. We could have nothing at all...

Just because someone is disappointed with the direction doesn't mean they want it to be 1:1 with the books.

I don't want it to be 1:1 with the books but I'm:
- bummed at how dumb they're making Jon look.
- annoyed with how long the Tywin/Arya thing has been going. It was cute and fun at first, but now it's kind of dumb. Especially this last episode when she was thinking about killing him with the dinner knife. Jaqen can do it for her with one word. No dinner-knife or self-endangering necessary.
- confused about Xaro being all like "I WOULD NEVER TAKE YOUR DRAGONS" and then in the next scene is like "I did it." Why did the first scene happen at all?
- laughing at Jaime and that cousin talking forever about boring stuff and then the escape plan. I love that the guard walks right past Jaime and ignores him while looking at the guy on the floor - within arms reach of Jaime. Isn't it obvious the guy was killed by Jaime?

It has nothing to do with the books for me.

Kammie

After this last episode I have no more hopes of the show redeeming itself. The showrunners fail to understand the most basic elements of the novel and at this point are not only cutting things for budgetary reasons, but to give screentime to cliched or poorly thought-out crap that they make up or isn't necessary.

The protagonist of the book is Tyrion. This is HIS book, and it's his moment in the spotlight. We are given no hint throughout the season that he has a master plan in mind, or that he's using his position as hand to influence absolutely anything. But oh look, he slaps Joffrey again! The viewers will eat that up. Almost the entire novel is spent with him making preparations for the defense of the city. This makes Stannis a significant threat. We've gone two episodes now without Stannis. Will we go a third? By the time anything happens viewers probably won't even remember who the guy is.

Jaime killing his cousin is one of the worse liberties the show has taken with anything yet. I mean really, is it that difficult for him to ask his cousin to pretend he's dead? It's really necessary to kill him in cold blood like this? If he doesn't want him escaping with him he can just leave him chained up. This is just cheap shock value at the expense of an entire character. Furthermore, you're telling me they HAD to put the cousin in this cage, they couldn't have tied him up on a pole anywhere? Jesus.

The Arya and Tywin scenes are HORRIBLE. They're dehumanizing Jaime while humanizing Tywin. Why??? And Arya should be in Harrenhal fearing for her life, living in hopeless misery every day. The novel was painful to read with all the suffering she went through, and the hatred she harbors, but this is what gives her fortitude and creates her arc. I just don't understand why there's a need to make her look cozy and comfortable. Instead of spending 15 interminable minutes with Jaime and his cousin, why don't we get a simple scene of her breaking down in private or something? I mean come on, we're not even talking budget right now.

Here's a simple way to establish in 3 minutes what they haven't managed to do in 7 episodes, just by trimming the Jaime scene or getting rid of one of the 5 scenes with Jon which were all about the same thing anyway. Instead of shitting up the one-minute reveal of Bran and Rickon's bodies with an amateurish fade to black and Theon looking at what I can only suppose was a coin on the ground, why don't we have a foreboding piece of music come up, and in silent montage style, just a few establishing shots of some characters: Sansa crying over some bloody bed sheets, Arya hugging herself to sleep, Stannis brooding over his map, Cat looking over Ned's bones and sending them to Winterfell. Maybe it's not in the general style we've seen up till now, but one of the big things for me that the show is doing wrong (aside from all this, which will be labeled as nerd nitpicking by people who fail to see most of these are legitimate complaints about what ultimately amounts to making effective character and plot arcs) is the pedestrian way it is filmed and edited together. We have almost constant static shots and very basic edits that just cut back from one character to another, with no creativity to ANY of it, and a soundtrack that creeps in robotically on cue whenever a scene is reaching its climax. Why don't we get more scenes like when Theon arrived on Pyke, something with sweeping music, maybe a theme or two that can be orchestrated in a very subdued way during calm scenes so as to not call attention to itself? There are just so many ways this could be more cinematically presented.

Episode 9
is going to be a travesty. I feel it in my bones. :(

Yeah, I think changes are necessary for the story if it's going to stand on its own feet as a TV show. Season 1 suffered a bit from being too close to the book where it felt like a Cliff's Notes version. The few added scenes they did in the first season were mostly pretty good. The changes in the second season are a bit worrying, not because their changing what's in the book, but because some of the changes are pretty bad (Jon and his storyline are pretty bad right now and a huge wasted opportunity, but of course there is still time and maybe it'll play out well this season).

And Arya should be in Harrenhal fearing for her life, living in hopeless misery every day. The novel was painful to read with all the suffering she went through, and the hatred she harbors, but this is what gives her fortitude and creates her arc. I just don't understand why there's a need to make her look cozy and comfortable. Instead of spending 15 interminable minutes with Jaime and his cousin, why don't we get a simple scene of her breaking down in private or something? I mean come on, we're not even talking budget right now.

I really like the Arya/Tywin stuff, but this is a pretty valid complaint.

Finally watched last night's episode. Some things are leaving a sour taste in my mouth (I've read all of the books twice.)

I don't know what the hell they are doing with John's story line. Now, I never liked him much as a character in the first place, and always dreaded reading another Wall Chapter when going through the books, but what the hell are they doing to him....seriously...
where the hell is my damn Eagle?
. I really like the casting for Ygritte, but I always pictured her hair more wild, curly, and brighter - kissed by fire after all. But, I know nothing
John Snow

I have not agreed with the Tyrwin/Arya interactions since the beginning. Yes, they are well acted, but Tywin is much too clever and cunning to sit here and divulge his plans to this girl, especially when he knows that she is posing as something that she's not. Also, the "My Lord" vs "milord" thing. ADWD
That's between Reek and Bolton.

Jamie killing his cousin pissed me off and made me yell at my TV; what the hell writers? What the hell. I also found his conversation with Cat in the book far more enjoyable. An excerpt from their conversation in ACOK:

"Did the old Kings of Winter hide behind their mothers' skirts as well?"
"I grow wear of this, ser. There are things I must know."
"Why should I tell you anything?"
"To save your life."
"You think I fear death?" That seemed to amuse him.
"You should. Your crimes will have earned you a place of torment in the deepest of the seven hells, if the gods are just."
"What gods are those, Lady Catelyn? The trees your husband prayed to? How well did that serve him when my sister took off his head?" Jamie gave a chuckle. "If there are gods, why is the world so full of pain and injustice?"
"Because of men like you."
"There are no men like me. There's only me."
^Always enjoyed that exchange and was hoping to hear him say that last line especially.

Don't like what they are doing to Cersie as well, with them trying to make her sympathetic. Also, she wouldn't admit incest to Tyrion, and certainly not proclaim flaws with Joffrey. At the scene when she was crying, I thought they would include a scene I always found touching (not sure if from ACOK or SOS)
When Tryion goes to comfort her, and she's snatches her shoulder away, telling him not to touch her; which hurt him incredibly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
After this last episode I have no more hopes of the show redeeming itself. The showrunners fail to understand the most basic elements of the novel and at this point are not only cutting things for budgetary reasons, but to give screentime to cliched or poorly thought-out crap that they make up or isn't necessary.

The protagonist of the book is Tyrion. This is HIS book, and it's his moment in the spotlight. We are given no hint throughout the season that he has a master plan in mind, or that he's using his position as hand to influence absolutely anything. But oh look, he slaps Joffrey again! The viewers will eat that up. Almost the entire novel is spent with him making preparations for the defense of the city. This makes Stannis a significant threat. We've gone two episodes now without Stannis. Will we go a third? By the time anything happens viewers probably won't even remember who the guy is.

Jaime killing his cousin is one of the worse liberties the show has taken with anything yet. I mean really, is it that difficult for him to ask his cousin to pretend he's dead? It's really necessary to kill him in cold blood like this? If he doesn't want him escaping with him he can just leave him chained up. This is just cheap shock value at the expense of an entire character. Furthermore, you're telling me they HAD to put the cousin in this cage, they couldn't have tied him up on a pole anywhere? Jesus.

The Arya and Tywin scenes are HORRIBLE. They're dehumanizing Jaime while humanizing Tywin. Why??? And Arya should be in Harrenhal fearing for her life, living in hopeless misery every day. The novel was painful to read with all the suffering she went through, and the hatred she harbors, but this is what gives her fortitude and creates her arc. I just don't understand why there's a need to make her look cozy and comfortable. Instead of spending 15 interminable minutes with Jaime and his cousin, why don't we get a simple scene of her breaking down in private or something? I mean come on, we're not even talking budget right now.

Here's a simple way to establish in 3 minutes what they haven't managed to do in 7 episodes, just by trimming the Jaime scene or getting rid of one of the 5 scenes with Jon which were all about the same thing anyway. Instead of shitting up the one-minute reveal of Bran and Rickon's bodies with an amateurish fade to black and Theon looking at what I can only suppose was a coin on the ground, why don't we have a foreboding piece of music come up, and in silent montage style, just a few establishing shots of some characters: Sansa crying over some bloody bed sheets, Arya hugging herself to sleep, Stannis brooding over his map, Cat looking over Ned's bones and sending them to Winterfell. Maybe it's not in the general style we've seen up till now, but one of the big things for me that the show is doing wrong (aside from all this, which will be labeled as nerd nitpicking by people who fail to see most of these are legitimate complaints about what ultimately amounts to making effective character and plot arcs) is the pedestrian way it is filmed and edited together. We have almost constant static shots and very basic edits that just cut back from one character to another, with no creativity to ANY of it, and a soundtrack that creeps in robotically on cue whenever a scene is reaching its climax. Why don't we get more scenes like when Theon arrived on Pyke, something with sweeping music, maybe a theme or two that can be orchestrated in a very subdued way during calm scenes so as to not call attention to itself? There are just so many ways this could be more cinematically presented.

Episode 9
The book and the series aren't the same thing. Your complaints revolve almost entirely around the theory the book and the series should be identical, but a lot of the things that occur in the book would be incredibly difficult to understand if put without alteration into the series. It's kind of a weird complaint too because you're judging the way they develop certain characters on the grounds that they're required to develop the characters in a very particular way in the future.

"To save your life."
"You should. Your crimes will have earned you a place of torment in the deepest of the seven hells, if the gods are just."
"What gods are those, Lady Catelyn? The trees your husband prayed to? How well did that serve him when my sister took off his head?" Jamie gave a chuckle. "If there are gods, why is the world so full of pain and injustice?"
^Always enjoyed that exchange and was hoping to hear him say that last line especially.

Didn't they have that near exact conversation in the final episode of the first season?

gutshot

Edit: Beaten above, so I will use this post to make another point.

It's funny to compare this thread to the non-book spoilers thread. In there they are just talking about the show, their thoughts on the events so far and their predictions for the future. Here it's all, they've ruined this character or screwed up that arc or removed this great scene or added this crappy scene. It's kinda sad, really.

Jamie killing his cousin pissed me off and made me yell at my TV; what the hell writers? What the hell. I also found his conversation with Cat in the book far more enjoyable. An excerpt from their conversation in ACOK:

"To save your life."
[/spoiler]

That part was actually in the first season.

edit: twice beaten, :(

tmdorsey

It makes plenty of sense. Cat realizes that if the Karstarks kill Jaime, the chance of her getting her daughters back lessens significantly, and she has been proposed a deal to get her daughters back for Jaime.

It's different than the book, but if she decides to release him (we don't really know based on that scene), it still makes sense.

I guess I liked and could understand the original reason
releasing him out of panic after hearing about Bran and Rickon
than worrying about the Karstarks killing him. I'm hoping they are just moving him where he can be better protected.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
None of these complaints are valid because we don't know the endpoint of the story being portrayed on screen. It is CLEARLY different from what we read, and the community is now reaching the breaking point between those who can handle it and those who can't. All of these arguments of "how are they going to do ______ now?" are absolutely meaningless because outside of the major story strokes we have no guarantee that any of it will happen.

This is a good TV show. It's not the best thing on tv but it is very good. Non book readers almost universally love the show while readers quibble about stupid shit. That alone should tell you the problem isn't inherently with the show.

We're past the point where book comparisons should even be considered valid discussion in this thread. They aren't the same thing. Deal with it or stop watching.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Apparently people hate well written dialogue. The long scenes between Jamie and the other Lannister and Arya and Tywin were both amazing - even if neither happened in the book.

ronito

What I'm surprised with is how much a mixed bag this season has been. Started very strong, the Shadow baby episode is probably one of my favorite episodes of any show ever. However I do agree they are sorta ignoring the whole "Prep" for Stannis thing while spending a lot of time on things that don't really matter.

For example, Jon and Yggrite.
Or even the scene with Jorah asking what's her name where the dragons were. Why in the world was that even necessary? Did it add anything? It certainly didn't change anything. It almost felt like "Oh crap we 4 minutes to fill what should we fill it with?"

Like I said I really like some of the changes they've made. The arya and Tywin arch is really great (though they need to learn they don't have to make those scenes so long). And I personally think the Xaro change is brilliant.

I think it comes from having so many different writers that the mixed quality and its sort of lack of overall cohesion.

tmdorsey

Yeah I'm so glad that even though I read the books, I still can view the show for what is and not get too upset over trivial shit.

I mean I do agree with the complaints about the lack of Tyrion or the significant cutting of Arya's arc, but it is what it is. I'm still enjoying the show and given the restraints the writers are under I can understand why the majority of these changes had to be made.

Meier

I almost feel like I'd prefer the other thread. Adapted material, especially in a fringe genre that has essentially had little to no mainstream success, is never going to place its focus on the existing fans. Some of the people in this thread are simply incapable of stepping back from the books and I have to say that I feel a bit bad for them.

Episode 9

claps. Agree. So disappointing. I mean it's not that hard to make it like the books, ASOS is going to be bad I can feel it. I'm tempted to not watch anymore. it's ruined all my characters.

nib95

Banned
Ok, having read the complaints and meltdowns, I can completely understand where they are coming from....IF the series were completely following the books. But clearly, they're not. They are going for their own style and adaptation of events, with different importance placed on different things, as well as a change up in characterisations too.

Now I don't know this for certain, since I have not read the books, but I have now read enough to know this does seem to be the case. Based on comments, there is obviously a bit of creative leeway being given here, and it's just not the exact series the books would have had you believe. Luckily, having not read the books, I seem to be enjoying it a lot more than some.

Meier

claps. Agree. So disappointing. I mean it's not that hard to make it like the books, ASOS is going to be bad I can feel it. I'm tempted to not watch anymore. it's ruined all my characters.

Nope, it's not hard to make a sprawling series like Game of Thrones just like the books. It's why it has happened before about a similar set of books. Oh wait, no it hasn't. Ever.

It hasn't done shit to "your" characters. It's introduced characters to a new audience who would have NEVER been introduced to them. I completely disagree with any and everyone who claims there's a single character who is all that different. The only thing they've done is make Theon seem at least slightly more badass. I felt a bit more pity for him in the books whereas in this he's acting fairly monstrous. I guess they've also made Tywin and Cersei more likable (or perhaps relateable in Cersei's case) to a certain extent this season but is that a "bad" thing?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What I'm surprised with is how much a mixed bag this season has been. Started very strong, the Shadow baby episode is probably one of my favorite episodes of any show ever. However I do agree they are sorta ignoring the whole "Prep" for Stannis thing while spending a lot of time on things that don't really matter.

For example, Jon and Yggrite.
Or even the scene with Jorah asking what's her name where the dragons were. Why in the world was that even necessary? Did it add anything? It certainly didn't change anything. It almost felt like "Oh crap we 4 minutes to fill what should we fill it with?"

Like I said I really like some of the changes they've made. The arya and Tywin arch is really great (though they need to learn they don't have to make those scenes so long). And I personally think the Xaro change is brilliant.

I think it comes from having so many different writers that the mixed quality and its sort of lack of overall cohesion.
I don't think they spent enough time explaining what the Night's Watch is actually doing, but I need to ask some non-book readers what they think about it.

My guess about the Jorah scene it was to make it explicit that he's in love with Dany since in the book
Dany just figured it out on her own through a conversation in the Red Wastes that explained all of Jorah's backstory - but that conversation never occurred in the show. (I think they kind of referenced it in Season 1, though)

I don't really get a lot of these complaints about the characters being more ambiguous than they are in the book - a lot of them have to do with assumed future developments where the complainer is assuming some event they are attached to in some future book is more relevant than either Martin of the show writers apparently think it is.

I really doubt they're just putting in stuff without Martin's involvement in some way. The fact he isn't writing every script doesn't mean they're just altering the character arcs at a whim.

TCRS

Banned
Yeah, I pretty much agree with the complaints, but at the same time I don't feel mad or dislike the series or anything. I'm still enjoying it very much. Weird.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Regarding a couple of the complaints.

Jamie COK
First of all, Jamie is a one note villain in the books until the third book anyway when he gets his own POV chapters. The scene with him talking with his cousin showed him to not be entirely cruel he gave someone who idolized him a very personal and touching story and pretended to remember him when he probably didn't. The killing only showed that Jamie is willing to do anything to save himself, something that isn't out of character for Jamie at all - which makes it even more surprising when he goes back to save Brienne in the next season

Tywin COK
The main character of the show, thusfar, has always been the Hand of the King. First season, that was Ned Stark. This season, it's Tyrion. Next season, it will be Tywin and they need to make sure the viewers remember who the fuck he is. One of many reasons for his expanded role in Harrenhall

fuenf

I think most of the complains stem from the fact that you can either analyze every aspect of the books or simply enjoy it as some kind of fantasy soap opera. After finishing the books i was really excited to delve into the discussion in various ASoIaF forums only to realize that i essentially know nothing about the story / characters / world because i didnt pay enough attention to every minor character / background-story and whatever. While it might hurt the "ASOIAF-nerds" the streamlined Game of Thrones version makes the story much more enjoyable.

TCRS

Banned
GRRM started writing ASOIAF because he was tired of TV budgets hampering his creativity and storytelling. He wanted to tell a story and make it is as big as he wanted. And now HBO is trying to put exactly that story onto TV. Kind of ironic. And without these sort of cuts impossible. I too fear that
Blackwater
will be nothing like we imagined while reading the books, it will be a very scaled down version of it. But I will (probably) enjoy it nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom