• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Sorry, but an overbearing score is the last thing this show needs (Bear McCreary or otherwise), nor is that something HBO would want for their programming. No matter what show we're we're talking about: The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Boardlike Empire, Six Feet Under, etc. None of them are really notable for their original scores (i.e. you didn't go out and buy a Sopranos season 3 OST on Amazon). They all just have good intros and usually licensed music in their credits, which GoT obviously can't rely on.

I am open to constructive criticism for this show, and if you want to go back you'll find me making my own complaints. But many of the suggestions you guys have been making are worse "cures" than the "disease" itself.

Yeah...no.

Snake

I also disagree with this, and I doubt you or anyone else truly believes this. If the music had a great score, people would say "all over my face" and "I can't stop listening to Robb's theme" and the like. It's not like the composer would put some cheery ass tune when Tyrion walks down a hall whistling.

Of course I believe it, and my point about music in HBO programming has yet to be argued against. At the same time, if you magically waved your hands and made Game of Thrones have an amazing soundtrack that works just right, obviously I wouldn't complain. It would be magic after all.

My point is that music is not what's holding the show back.

Of course I believe it, and my point about music in HBO programming has yet to be argued against. At the same time, if you magically waved your hands and made Game of Thrones have an amazing soundtrack that works just right, obviously I wouldn't complain. It would be magic after all.

My point is that music is not what's holding the show back.

So, wait. Something well done is magic now? No wonder so many people accept this show.

You use dramas like Six Feet Under as your example, when this is a fantasy series. The exact type of genre that requires a memorable score.

Furthermore, no-one ever said the music is solely what's holding the show back. They just added it to the long list.

Snake

So, wait. Something well done is magic now? No wonder so many people accept this show.

I don't think my point was hard to comprehend. I said that the show didn't need an "epic" soundtrack. You responded that if the show hypothetically had some universally beloved OST I wouldn't complain. True enough. Then I responded that if you hypothetically ("magically") assume those ends, of course I can't disagree with the means.

Furthermore, no-one ever said the music is solely what's holding the show back. They just added it to the long list.
Nor did I claim it was the sole complaint. Merely an example of a wrong-headed one.

Kuroyume

Banned
What kind of spoilers? All books?

Very minor stuff regarding things that didn't happen or have happened in the book ACOK and vice versa. Obvious because that's the point of the article since it's a comparison. :p There is one kind of major thing regarding Robb concerning when he meets Jayne in the books
which would reveal he doesn't die this season
but if you've read ACOK you should be okay with that and anything else in the article.

I don't think my point was hard to comprehend. I said that the show didn't need an "epic" soundtrack. You responded that if the show hypothetically had some universally beloved OST I wouldn't complain. True enough. Then I responded that if you hypothetically ("magically") assume those ends, of course I can't disagree with the means.

Well then why the hell is this even a discussion hahahaha.

I like GoT's music overall, but I just don't like how small it often sounds, or the robotic cues that trigger the same music over and over. Uh oh something tense is happening, here are some dramatic low strings! Those Rome clips illustrate the type of dynamic score I had hoped Thrones would have.

Vyer

Not according to the psycho posters that were on there. If I could dig up some of the tripe I had to moderate I would, but unfortunately CD has gone bye-bye. I remember I had to ban a poster that lost it saying that Tolkien's dead corpse had been raped, pillaged, and shat upon by Peter Jackson because of the Faramir changes, and that ROTK was going to be the most worthless pile of shit because of it.

Some of GAF will be there eventually.

Pecan1

Banned
I think GoT has awesome music. The music that began with Theons last scene and rolled through the credits was perfect. Its also real dope how they kinda roll the opening music into scenes in the actual show. Like its never the same at all, it usually fits the mood of whatever scene. I straight up whistle that opening song all day Sunday

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I posted after 2, maybe 3 episodes, a total of about 10 posts. I'm entitled to my opinion. I was simply agreeing with a fellow user. I've seen AMAZING EPISODE quoted several times with "this" and the like. You're coming off as a defensive teenager. Let my post be a fart in the wind if you're not actually going to say why you think my reasons for disliking this show are mistaken. My original posts have been filled with content, and your posts among others have been the equivalent of a dislike button that doesn't appear on facebook. Lol, you're sad, lol what a nitpicker, lol what a nerd, etc.
It's silly to suggest everyone has to go back 5+ pages to figure out what you're so mad about when nobody is talking about your particular criticisms anymore and haven't been for hours or days. I simply don't understand why you're continuing to post when you don't have anything relevant to say about the show. Even if you just say whatever your earlier point was again, it's better than just vaguely complaining you don't like it without any context non-stop for 12+ hours. Just adding in pointless, totally nebulous metacriticisms like "your posts read like an angry teenager!" don't actually convert non-content posting into content posting. Even your attempted pithy reply is just you taking what I just said and changing it to just claim I'm the one doing it without any evidence to support it. It still has no substantive Games of Thrones content.

Part of what makes a show like Breaking Bad work -- despite the downright ABSURD premises -- is that it earns every crazy scenario or character movement with some masterful character development. It might be a small, offhand conversation. It might be a look you exchanged between two characters. Game of Thrones feels fundamentally disconnected from that. Character motivations and actions seem motivated by the most brute-force expositionary dialogue imaginable. The direction adds little and less (ho-ho) to the story.

It's such an unimaginative adaption. I mean, it's such a large scale production, I can sympathize with them, but I'm not about to hold this up as anything truly great. It feels like a series of compromises to me. An exercise in "look, we can present a fantasy world on screen in a TV serial format" rather than an exercise in outstanding, top-tier TV production.

The showrunners made Troy. What did you expect from these people? I actually think it's better than expectations because I was expecting some SHIT. It's decent. I think I like Borgias more, but then that show has Jeremy Irons. Who can compete with him?!!!

edit: oh man, the score is definitely lacking. Bear McCreary isn't doing much now, they should have just hired him. Giving everything it's own distinctive theme and sound would be incredible for a show like this with so many different houses/areas. The noob they got on this show sucks. I don't know how he managed to pull off Theon's theme but that's a fluke as far as I'm concerned.

Does anyone know if they actually use any real instruments for the score? During the credits of the latest episode, the strings sounded like I plugged in my old keyboard and punched in "34" to pull up the violin sound. It was particularly awful sounding.

Kyon

Banned
Before i start posting stuff, whats the actual difference between this thread and the *No Book SPOILERS* one? im so confused

Zeliard

Before i start posting stuff, whats the actual difference between this thread and the *No Book SPOILERS* one? im so confused

This one contains comical levels - and types - of bitching. Rez has been reasonable enough, but most of the other complaints are hilarious, especially the guy who was going on about extras during the Jaime scene. Powerful levels of nerdling insanity there.

Alternate answer: the other thread pretends that the books don't exist.

Kammie

What does that mean? ;___;
It's just a joke based on the fact people have been criticizing the show and they're saying they're nerdpicking.

This thread is filled with bookreaders while the other one isn't. If you haven't read the books I'd probably recommend the other one, as there is too much hinting in this one and there's the occasional untagged spoiler.

Kyon

Banned
This one contains comical levels - and types - of bitching. Rez has been reasonable enough, but most of the other complaints are hilarious, especially the guy who was going on about extras during the Jaime scene. Powerful levels of nerdling insanity there.

Alternate answer: the other thread pretends that the books don't exist.

oooh got it thanks :D ill post in both then xD

It's just a joke based on the fact people have been criticizing the show and they're saying they're nerdpicking.

This thread is filled with bookreaders while the other one isn't. If you haven't read the books I'd probably recommend the other one, as there is too much hinting in this one and there's the occasional untagged spoiler.

Havent read them yet but i will gladly participate in both

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Song of Ice and Fire thread talks about the TV series too, although it's not the central topic and in a totally unspoilered context which assumes by default you are finished with Dance with Dragons.

RiverBed

Banned
I HATE it when shows show you something interesting at the first episode, then pretend they never mentioned it- only to FUCKING hint at it at the last episode or as a premier for the next season. I am talking about the stupid fucking winter that is supposedly coming since fucking day one. And then they have the audacity to use that phrase for the second season posters.

Also, WTF is going on? The first few episodes shows a clear story. Now, all I am getting are what feel like stand alone random episodes where the ONLY interesting thing happening in an hour is the last 30 fucking seconds aaaaaand then they forget about it the next episode.
WTF is going on here? 2nd season is almost over and NOTHING fucking major happened!

Speevy

Banned
Winter is coming is the slogan of the House of Stark.

As a non-book reader, I understand it to mean that the Starks are always prepared for hard times, and they are ever aware of a dark time which has recently passed.

So the winter encompasses both the preparation for war and suffering, as well as the unknown forces (wildlings, dragons, and other things that bring chaos and destruction). Basically the unknown and the world beyond the wall.

I HATE it when shows show you something interesting at the first episode, then pretend they never mentioned it- only to FUCKING hint at it at the last episode or as a premier for the next season. I am talking about the stupid fucking winter that is supposedly coming since fucking day one. And then they have the audacity to use that phrase for the second season posters.

Also, WTF is going on? The first few episodes shows a clear story. Now, all I am getting are what feel like stand alone random episodes where the ONLY interesting thing happening in an hour is the last 30 fucking seconds aaaaaand then they forget about it the next episode.
WTF is going on here? 2nd season is almost over and NOTHING fucking major happened!

It's a problem that stems from the second book. I tend to agree---there haven't been too many holy shit moments in the second season.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

It's like that in the books too. Clash of Kings has a great finale though.

Storm of Swords though, hooo boy, that will be a great season.

Snake

What's the deal with the woman that wears a mask in Qarth? I don't remember her from the books whatsoever.

*ACOK*
She is Quaithe, the mysterious priestess of Asshai who briefly comes to Dany in Qarth and offers this prophecy: "To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow." Her interactions with Jorah are 100% new.

Socreges

Banned
*ACOK*
She is Quaithe, the mysterious priestess of Asshai who briefly comes to Dany in Qarth and offers this prophecy: "To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow." Her interactions with Jorah are 100% new.
Such an awesome line. Hopefully they don't neglect it.

Ikael

I don't understand why almost the entire criticism to the series is being concentrated on S2, which is leaps and bounds better than the first season which was at times, borderline mediocre (sans for the two last episodes). Bigger scope, better acting, less retarded sexposition, more focus, thematic consistence within each episode... yet, alas, gaf is full of complaints, most of them revolving around "this is not how things are suppoused to be in the book".

Yes, some great book moments won't be included in the series (the Tickler death, for example), but it has in turn gave great moments of its own too (<3 Tywin -Ayra, Ygritte trolling, and so forth). It's its own thing, and I think that it has been able to convey the same powerful themes and stories of the book without taking too much compromises. Of course there are things to improve (the direction of some episodes is formulaic and pedrestian, soundtrack does not convinces me, some character's potrayal's like Stannis are off the mark, etc), but I did noticed a huge quality improvement as the show progressed (and deviated from the books), not vice - versa.

Gregorn

How do you people stop comparing the show to the books? I know I would probably enjoy it more if I wasn't thinking "this is wrong, where are the reeds, why is Cersei being nice, why is Arya happy" throughout every episode, but I just can't help it.

I feel like I'm only watching it just to see an adaptation, and this is a bad adaptation like everyone keeps saying. I'm obviously not watching it for the story, because I've already experienced the story in a better medium.

How do you people stop comparing the show to the books? I know I would probably enjoy it more if I wasn't thinking "this is wrong, where are the reeds, why is Cersei being nice, why is Arya happy" throughout every episode, but I just can't help it.

I just stopped. Right after they gutted Arya's story, I said "WTF? That's not how it's supposed to happen!" and then quickly realised that it's just not all that important.

At the end of the day, would you rather the creators rush through the books faithfully, only being able to touch upon on or gloss over certain subjects for the sake of fitting near enough everything in, or would you rather they sacrifice more to present a story that, while different from the source material, is generally more coherent, given the 10 episode per-season format?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So in a land where Summers can last for a decade you want it to be Winter right away without a transition? :lol

Plus this:
Winter is coming is the slogan of the House of Stark.

As a non-book reader, I understand it to mean that the Starks are always prepared for hard times, and they are ever aware of a dark time which has recently passed.

So the winter encompasses both the preparation for war and suffering, as well as the unknown forces (wildlings, dragons, and other things that bring chaos and destruction). Basically the unknown and the world beyond the wall.

Raist

Banned
I don't understand why almost the entire criticism to the series is being concentrated on S2, which is leaps and bounds better than the first season which was at times, borderline mediocre (sans for the two last episodes). Bigger scope, better acting, less retarded sexposition, more focus, thematic consistence within each episode... yet, alas, gaf is full of complaints, most of them revolving around "this is not how things are suppoused to be in the book".

Yes, some great book moments won't be included in the series (the Tickler death, for example), but it has in turn gave great moments of its own too (<3 Tywin -Ayra, Ygritte trolling, and so forth). It's its own thing, and I think that it has been able to convey the same powerful themes and stories of the book without taking too much compromises. Of course there are things to improve (the direction of some episodes is formulaic and pedrestian, soundtrack does not convinces me, some character's potrayal's like Stannis are off the mark, etc), but I did noticed a huge quality improvement as the show progressed (and deviated from the books), not vice - versa.

Well the problem is that it does feel much less focused. One reason is not really the show's fault, but book 2 introduces quite a lot of new players and there's also a lot of new perspectives added due to the fact that characters are seperated. So with the same amount of time, they now have to deal with much more to cover. This won't get any better so I'm not sure how they're gonna deal with that.

Book 2 also has roughly the same amount of major/WTF moments, but it's treated poorly/rushed in the show. Renly's assassination, Winterfell's fall, etc.
Add to this some serious departure from the books, and I can totally understand the criticism so far.

For the people mentioning the score, I believe that in the case of the first season it was done at the last minute, a few weeks before broadcast even. This season's been a bit better, with a few recognisable themes reoccurring.

Leonsito

Man, Oona Chaplin is beautiful, I met her last year when he previewed a small local film in my city and she was very nice with everyone.

Lothar

Banned

This is a problem with the direction. Major things have happened in the book at this point but those things seem to have pushed back into the final episodes. Like Arya already used her final name and Dany already went into the warlocks house well before the events of this episodes with Jon, Theon, Catelyn, and Jaime happened.

Bran and Rickon dying was supposed to be a major event, but I think they screwed that up.

Catelyn and Jaime's conversation was supposed to be a major event. It's a very revealing talk in the book, but they've shorted that up into a 2 minute scene. And since it's out of order, it has much less weight.

Bran and Rickon scene was screwed up big time!

book 2 spoiler
my freaking sister guessed that they weren't dead since they literally point out a house with TWO children earlier in the episode

It was a surprise for me reading the book until the end, but with the way the show handled it it kinda ruins the finale. I dread what they'll do with the BIG shocker events in season 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom