• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjay

A couple of articles were posted on WiC yesterday.

Curtain Call: Amrita Acharia
irri.jpg

Extras casting call provides more S3 clues (Remember to spoiler tag this stuff)

Damn, had no idea she was Hindu.
amritasidebar.gif

Thrones-AmritaAcharia-EmiliaClarke-1.jpg

But this news saddens me as I will never get to see Emilia Clarke & Amrita Acharia
loving it up all naked rubbing each other scissoring each other

Fuck them for not following the books! :mad: everyone will agree with this.

frequency

The Starks are not at war with the Baratheons. It doesn't affect him. What do you expect Robb to do or say that is so important?

Renly wasn't at war with Stannis either. Stannis came and demanded a surrender, and when Renly said no, he was murdered.

Robb wanted to ally with Renly and made no effort to ally with Stannis. As far as Stannis knows, Robb is fighting to be a king. Catelyn only ever told Renly that Robb only wants to be the "king in the North". After Renly died, Catelyn fled the camp instead of even trying to talk to Stannis.

If Robb knew, I think he would re-asses his situation and consider an alliance with Stannis. And if his honour wouldn't allow that, the least he could do is have more defenses or reconsider going south at all now. He could just have an arrangement with Stannis to get his sisters (he doesn't know they don't have Arya) back and then go back North and do his thing.

I don't see any circumstance where you would ignore a guy who has access to magic in the form of shadow monsters.

EktorPR

I can't believe some are complaining about production values when so far every episode (sans 13, perhaps) has surpassed their S1 counterparts in direction, cinematography and art direction, not to mention Djawadi's bolder music. You want more "creative" editing? That's only possible if the script allows it, but the way Benioff & Weiss are handling the adaptation doesn't call for "montages" or the like. Pedestrian, yes, but still elegant.

A show like Breaking Bad can get away, stylistically, with a lot of things because of the aesthetic and general tone of the show. Game of Thrones is another beast.

Zabka

Renly wasn't at war with Stannis either. Stannis came and demanded a surrender, and when Renly said no, he was murdered.

Robb wanted to ally with Renly and made no effort to ally with Stannis. As far as Stannis knows, Robb is fighting to be a king. Catelyn only ever told Renly that Robb only wants to be the "king in the North". After Renly died, Catelyn fled the camp instead of even trying to talk to Stannis.

If Robb knew, I think he would re-asses his situation and consider an alliance with Stannis. And if his honour wouldn't allow that, the least he could do is have more defenses or reconsider going south at all now. He could just have an arrangement with Stannis to get his sisters (he doesn't know they don't have Arya) back and then go back North and do his thing.

I don't see any circumstance where you would ignore a guy who has access to magic in the form of shadow monsters.

Stannis is on the other side of the continent sailing to King's Landing. It doesn't matter.

If Stannis confronts Robb all it would take is Robb saying "I heard what happened to Renly." You're dwelling on speculative nonsense.

Sanjay

One does not simply use Shadow monsters so easily:-

Series Spoilers:-
There's a great price for usage of magic, why Stannis looks 10 years older the next time you see him. Spells also block the shadow monster

frequency

Stannis is on the other side of the continent sailing to King's Landing. It doesn't matter.

If Stannis confronts Robb all it would take is Robb saying "I heard what happened to Renly." You're dwelling on speculative nonsense.

I'm not dwelling on it. It's really not that big a deal. I just like conversations and it's something to do in this thread before Sunday night. Sorry if you didn't want to engage in discussion with me :(

I just said that it bothers me how it's ignored, like that other poster I originally quoted. I'm not dwelling on it or saying the show is bad because of it. I have some criticisms (as I do for all things), but I still love this show. This is literally the only TV show I watch.

One does not simply use Shadow monsters so easily:-

Series Spoilers:-
There's a great price for usage of magic, why Stannis looks 10 years older the next time you see him. Spells also block the shadow monster

I based everything just on the show and that's not a thing the show has made known yet. And I don't think Catelyn would know how easy or hard shadow monsters are. And no one in Robb's camp would know about the second part of your spoiler. It's generally accepted that magic doesn't exist in the world anymore I thought.

Zabka

I just think it's strange to focus on that specific conversation when there's dozens of similar conversations that are skipped over because it doesn't pass any new information to the viewer.

Azrael

They filmed Irri's death scene, but didn't use it. I wonder if the scene may have involved effects shots with the dragons that were not completed due to lack of time or money. Here's hoping the season 2 Blu-ray has deleted scenes this time.

ezrarh

Apparently the actress who played Irri was denied Norwegian citizenship so she wasn't guaranteed to get a work visa next year which might have played a role in her early death. It didn't make sense to kill her off that early when she's the last real connection to the Dothrakis.

Zabka

He's no man. He's a god. Pullo and Vorenus is the bet bromance of all time.

From the wiki on the real Lucius Vorenus:
He appears, along with Titus Pullo, in Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico, Book 5, Chapter 44. The episode describes the two as centurions, approaching the first ranks, who shared a bitter personal rivalry. It relates how Pullo charged the enemy (the Nervii) in the heat of battle. Pullo casts his javelin at one of the enemy from a short distance, but he is simultaneously pierced by a spear and surrounded by other Nervii preventing him from drawing his sword. At this moment, Lucius Vorenus, following Pullo from the fortifications, reached the site of the mêlée, engaging the enemy in hand-to-hand combat. After slaying one of the enemy and driving back the rest, Vorenus lost his footing on the irregular terrain. As the Nervii drew closer to him, Pullo came to his rescue. After slaying many of their opponents, the two retreated to the fortifications amidst roaring applause from their comrades in arms.
Too awesome.

But this news saddens me as I will never get to see Emilia Clarke & Amrita Acharia

Probably get that with Doreah instead :p

RaidenZR

The Starks are not at war with the Baratheons. It doesn't affect him. What do you expect Robb to do or say that is so important?

It's not a reaction that's important, it's continuity between episodes and characters that is.

It stood out to me because there's a glaring disconnect from one episode/scene to the next. This character (Catelyn) should have a trace of what just happened in a subsequent scene. And based on previous things depicted in the show, she would bring worry or concern, or newfound fears to her son. She just saw a king get taken out without any reasonable explanation. From her vantage point as a mother, the same shit could happen to Robb.

I love the show, look forward to it weekly with great enthusiasm, and am very glad it exists, but I'm not just going to pat it on the back merely because it exists. It's bizzare that people can't bring stuff up like this in the thread without the majority rolling eyes. Sorry if I'm filling up the page with what some of you want to label as 'petty bickering', but it sticks out like a sore thumb on a show that's supposed to be focusing on character relationships over big battles and major setpieces. There's plenty of evidence that the characters drop things or act from off-screen motivations to make a viewer raise an eyebrow. And it's more interesting for me to talk about how or why things like this occurred (or didn't occur in this case) rather than the constant circle-jerk-cycle of the newest episode. How it was the greatest of the season and who in the cast this week deserves the emmy nomination... Which in my experience seems to happen frequently in every show thread there's a community for.

fallout

FWIW, the above post is not what I'm talking about.

If people don't like the thread, maybe don't read it? You're contributing nothing with "this thread sucks". If you don't like it, don't click on it. There's other GoT threads you can post in if you don't want this kind of discussion.
I keep coming back expecting some kind of better discussion, but what I'm mostly seeing are the following complaints:
  • Budget hurting the show.
  • Inability to suspend disbelief. This is mostly of the variety of: Why don't people do the thing that makes sense?
  • Actor/actress complaints.
  • Episode X did not have enough Y.
  • Scenes from the books not being included.
  • Scenes from the books not being done right.
Not to say that sometimes those things aren't valid sometimes, but I just don't find much of it to be interesting, especially when they're not supported by any critique. They seem to be flat boolean statements of: "these things were not done right".

Bigfoot

I keep coming back expecting some kind of better discussion, but what I'm mostly seeing are the following complaints:
  • Budget hurting the show.
  • Inability to suspend disbelief. This is mostly of the variety of: Why don't people do the thing that makes sense?
  • Actor/actress complaints.
  • Episode X did not have enough Y.
  • Scenes from the books not being included.
  • Scenes from the books not being done right.
Not to say that sometimes those things aren't valid sometimes, but I just don't find much of it to be interesting, especially when they're not supported by any critique. They seem to be flat boolean statements of: "these things were not done right".

This! I'm having a hard time ready this thread now.

You pretty much summed it up but I'll add that a lot of posters like to throw in the words "lazy", "sloppy", and "cringe worthy" somehow thinking that their opinions of what is wrong with the show are fact.

Finally, as a book reader for this season (I wasnt for season 1), I still think GoT is one of the best shows on TV right now. I guess I must have "low standards"!

This thread needs to be burned to the ground like it was:

[CoK]
The House of the Undying
[AffC]
The Tower of the Hand
[ADwD]
Rattleshirt's scrotum

apana

Damn, had no idea she was Hindu.
amritasidebar.gif

Thrones-AmritaAcharia-EmiliaClarke-1.jpg

I can't believe I basically predicted this, damn it David and Dan this ain't cool.

Socreges

Banned
*ACOK & possible Ep. 19 spoilers*
I don't see anything remotely resembling a chain. What are you talking about?
Click on the image to see a bigger version, first off. Now look at the rock. You can see a chain going around it. You can also see a large door on the wall (just above the water) and what could be a chain stretching from the door to the rock.

AngryMoth

ir5aXHXvViUE3.gif

You've just ruined Tywin for me.
I know right! Every time I open this thread its just like, URGH scroll down scroll down! Its so horrible to look at :p

edit: oh shit that promo pick looks amazing. I have high hopes for episode 9, I can't remember which interview it was in but it took something like a over a month for them to shoot it.

EktorPR

Socreges

Banned
*ACOK spoilers*
I know it's blurry as hell, but I can't think of a single reason other than the Chain for there being a "line" going across the water as in that pic.
ACOK
Agreed. But correct me if I'm wrong, but there hasn't been a single scene foreshadowing the chain, right? I'm surprised that, if they are going to include it, they didn't have a brief blurb of Tyrion telling a group of people to start linking chains together. That's all the book did and it was pretty cool when you realized what he had done.

ACOK
Agreed. But correct me if I'm wrong, but there hasn't been a single scene foreshadowing the chain, right? I'm surprised that, if they are going to include it, they didn't have a brief blurb of Tyrion telling a group of people to start linking chains together.
I'm guessing that part will happen next episode. TV viewers have a short memory so that's probably why we haven't heard anything about it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom