• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

EktorPR

HEY MAN YOU'VE GOTTA TAG THAT SPOILE-..... Ah. Carry on then.

Ektor, Seige of what?

I'm pretty sure it says "of Westeros", but it looks intentionally blurred out. Either way, *ACOK and possible Ep. 19 spoilers*
it could very well be the origin of the idea of the chain
. We'll see.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm guessing that part will happen next episode. TV viewers have a short memory so that's probably why we haven't heard anything about it yet.

ACOK
This is what I was gonna say. I would bet money that Varys and Tyrion come up with the plan on this week's episode. I had that suspicion before based on the synopsis for Episode 8.

RaidenZR

next episode, not really a spoiler but whatever

finally varys is back in this episode

such a cool dude

I'd be okay with it if the showrunners wanted to conjure up original scenes featuring Varys. That actor portrays him perfectly.

Magnus

Edit- Since Tywin dancing came up, I'd like to repost the GIF I made that took way, way too long (I was drunk and trying to figure out a new video editor...and damn, I was slow at it. lol)

ijyJhSUHOZe1Z.gif

Super-delayed take on last week finally up. Sorry. Diablo III happened (as well as a nice surge in job prospects – and a hire!)

http://www.omega-level.net/2012/05/18/this-week-on-game-of-thrones-a-man-without-honor/

Choice imagery:

207Roose.jpg

207karstark.jpg

I love Karstark's overall look. INTENSITY+

On boners and frostbite:

207boner.jpg

Jon on a leash:

207Jon.gif

207Jon2.gif

And I desperately need someone's help to add the subtitle to this one:

207IKnowHowToDoIt.gif

"I know how to do it."

Dany

Banned
Is it just me or does Jaime's cousin look wayyyyyy too much like Gendry?

Kinda, yeah, i was getting a bit of that in the scene, a pity they didn't show him more.

Also, that epi 19 promo pic
I hope they spent money on this episode, it needs to be epic

Lothar

Banned
Edit- Since Tywin dancing came up, I'd like to repost the GIF I made that took way, way too long (I was drunk and trying to figure out a new video editor...and damn, I was slow at it. lol)

Can you mix some Theon scenes of him being evil with that Alfie puppet from that music video?

I'm surprised no one used that puppet in images/gifs yet.

The Blackwater picture looks phenomenal. Faith momentarily restored in series.

Kinda, yeah, i was getting a bit of that in the scene, a pity they didn't show him more.

Also, that epi 19 promo pic
I hope they spent money on this episode, it needs to be epic

So if he looks like Gendry that means Gendry looks like a Lannister therefore Lannisters look like Baratheons. WHAT ARE WE ALL FIGHTING FOR?

Wray

I think that (ADWD)
they're going for this thing to make Xaro really dangerous and someone to fear. If you think about it from a TV writing point of view, when in book 6 Dany goes to war with Qarth it'd be really difficult to keep track of 13 villains. You could do it but at the cost of diluting the characters to the audience to the point non-relevance. I think it's a brilliant move. Make Xaro a strong shadow over the whole thing and then when he threatens Dany in book 5 it will mean something and make it easier when you have to do season 6. Further it makes Dany HAVE to go to house of the undying, instead of CHOOSING to go. I think that's important, even in the book her motivations seemed unclear/unrelateable and it gives her the motivation for burning the whole place down without making her seem like a scared petulant kid.
Really I'm digging this change. I think it works on many different levels.

I can see the showrunners moving
Xaro off to Mereen somehow in S3 or S4 to keep his character and actor onscreen and involved with Dany's storyline. Then when the show gets to S5/Dance, they decide use Xaro as a replacement for Hizdahr zo Loraq. It wouldn't take much changing of the story to swap his character in and it wouldn't be a far stretch to envision that Xaro has connections and a power base in Mereen. He is afterall, the richest man in Qarth.

Also, I haven't gotten caught up with the entire thread yet, but has there been any speculation as to who that tatoo'ed man Quaithe was working on was?

My theory is that the writers were implying it was one
of Euron Greyjoy's crew. He was in and around Qarth around that time I believe since he kidnaps the 3 Warlocks in the books. Plus she states he is going to be sailing past Valyria.

Lastly, is anybody else liking the new Mountain? I mean, now that he's actually gotten lines other than "You!!!" and "Horse!". I liked his voice alot and he seems menacing enough. I say give that character more lines. He needs a good 5 minute exposition scene where he's recounting how he killed Elia and Aegon during Robert's Rebellion.
That would completely set his character up with everything it needs to pull off the dramatic tension his future scene with the Red Viper needs.

Also, I think the scene between Jaime and Alton all but confirms that
Ser Barristan will popup before this season is over and not be pushed back to next. The way they subtly brought him back into the story and built up his badassness even more is a nice nice touch. Though I do think it's going to be very different from the books. I betcha he ends up showing up at the House of Undying and saving Dany's ass from Xaro/Pree. I also think Doreah is going to play into his arrival somehow. I dont think she would just disappear for no reason on the show.

jett

D-Member
All inbreeds!
Can a bastard have a bastard...and if so...what are their last name? Jon Snow Snow?

And what if the child is legitimate? Maybe he takes his mother's name. But what if the mother is also a bastard? :p I think GRRM didn't think this custom all the way through.

Lastly, is anybody else liking the new Mountain? I mean, now that he's actually gotten lines other than "You!!!" and "Horse!". I liked his voice alot and he seems menacing enough. I say give that character more lines. He needs a good 5 minute exposition scene where he's recounting how he killed Elia and Aegon during Robert's Rebellion.
That would completely set his character up with everything it needs to pull off the dramatic tension his future scene with the Red Viper needs.

Honestly no, not at all. He doesn't seem very menacing at all compared to the straight up terrifying Conan Stevens Mountain.

Interesting theories in the rest of your post.

Dany

Banned
Oh I finished AFFC last week sometime, am 1/7 through DWD

So unless I am missing something, the fourth book does not really end at all, as I can remember there is no real pivotal moment or thing that the book is leading towards. Cersie is in the cellar and Jamie totally despises her and that final exchange where he ignores her letter was great. I only picked up halfway through the book, having not read it in 6 months but what is the deal with the blade made of dragon galss that sams find?

The book was mostly dull, kinda dragged on and not a whole lot happening. Waiting 5 years for AFFC would have sucked knowing DWD is another 5 years. I hope brienne isn't dead, I loved her character. Book 5 does a great job in its opening chapters refreshing the readers where these characters are at and i dunno, maybe could be a good introduction point I guess. GRRM does a decent job recapping past events while also moving the story foward. I am loving this book much more than AFFC, things are happening. Tyrion is off to see Dany, Bran is meeting with the 1 eyed crow. A lot of exciting shit is starting to come together.

Now that I am through AFFC, which song of ice and fire threads may I venture into now?

Pkaz01

So I just watched underworld awakening, The second I saw charles dance I couldn't stop laughing and yelling out o shit its tywin lannister!

calza

And what if the child is legitimate? Maybe he takes his mother's name. But what if the mother is also a bastard? :p I think GRRM didn't think this custom all the way through.

I don't think it works like that. The surnames, Snow, Rivers etc are used by noble houses to denote natural sons/daughters. A bastard is not noble so their children wouldn't use the surname anyway. It is a feudal system anyway so I doubt any non-nobles have a need or use for a surname.

[CoK]
So how does everyone think the Blackwater battle will turn out? It looks like it's gonna take place entirely at night(can't remember if that was the case in the book), which ought to help the special effects. I remember reading a piece about how Dinklage spent about a month doing dreary night shoots.

[CoK]
So how does everyone think the Blackwater battle will turn out? It looks like it's gonna take place entirely at night(can't remember if that was the case in the book), which ought to help the special effects. I remember reading a piece about how Dinklage spent about a month doing dreary night shoots.

I've disliked much of season 2 thus far but I have high hopes for the next three episodes given Taylor directed episodes 8 and 10. As with season one it has all the makings of ending on a peak.

[CoK]
They've apparently thrown much of their talent and budget into filming Blackwater, I'm sure it'll turn out fine. It's either going to be glorious or terrible though, given expectations.

Despite my comments earlier about the low budget and some questionable scenes, I'm very much enjoying the show. It's not really about the same thing that the books are, but it's doing a pretty good job with its new theme ("To who or what should you be loyal?"). As in the books, the plot is just an engine to generate conflict over the thematic question, so I don't mind the changes much at all.

Last episode really heartened me. Not much happened, it's true, but at that slower pace the emotional stakes were intensified. For a show that's sometimes seemed telegraphic even to this book-reader, that's good. Especially since by splitting up Storm of Swords, the next few seasons should also allow breathing room for more suspense, grace notes, and epic anticipation.

Arment

[CoK]

They'll never satisfy some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom