• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arment

And what if the child is legitimate? Maybe he takes his mother's name. But what if the mother is also a bastard? :p I think GRRM didn't think this custom all the way through.

As long as one parent is noble and they are married then the child bears the noble name.

If two bastards from noble families have a child, the child inherits the father's bastard last name even if they're married. For example, though, if Jon came down to Dorne and had a baby with a bastard there they may name the child Something Sand because it's generally regional.

Having read the books and watched the series, I can't see why people think she's doing a bad job at all.

She isn't like Cersei from the books nor does she look even close to her. That's probably why. I think last episode was her only good performance. I just tell myself it's a different Cersei from a different timeline. One where Tyrion is actually good looking and Cersei isn't as interesting or beautiful.

apana

I blame oversexed Cersei fan art.

I agree with what you are saying. She has been pretty good, the problem is Lena Headey no longer looks like she did in her prime so she can't compete with the fan art and image people have in their heads. I also blame some of the Game of Thrones costume and make up people.

Arment

I'm just curious about their hair color choice for her. It's like some burnt golden color instead of shimmering gold. I guess they did it to match her dark eyebrows.

There are plenty of great blond actresses out there though. My choice would have been Tricia Helfer - even if she isn't naturally blonde. My god she would have owned that character.

OddSpoon

Banned
tumblr_m3mv06WV4x1qldavvo1_1280.png

Forkball

Quick questions that were answered in season one, but I forgot about it. I could google it, but you know how people like to mention a character's entire fate in an introductory sentence about them.

What's the relation between Night's Watch Mormont and Dany's Mormont?

Also in the Night Watch, Jon found out one of them was a Targaryen. Who was he again?

Amir0x

Banned
Quick questions that were answered in season one, but I forgot about it. I could google it, but you know how people like to mention a character's entire fate in an introductory sentence about them.

What's the relation between Night's Watch Mormont and Dany's Mormont?

Also in the Night Watch, Jon found out one of them was a Targaryen. Who was he again?

That's Jorah's father, Jeor Mormont (aka "Old Bear"). The sword Jon got was a family heirloom that was supposed to go to Jorah; Jorah dishonored the Mormont name, and thus is history.

Maester Aemon, aka Aemon Targaryen, he could have had the iron throne once, but turned it down.

apana

I remember lots of people complaining that Catelyn was too ugly in the first season.

I don't remember that though I have seen a few complaints, maybe it was before they got a chance to actually see her in action. She gave a fantastic performance and now the most common comment I see regarding her is that she was the best actress this season.

People like Melisandre's look and I think very few would want a different Catelyn so yeah....the Asha complaints are fair.

There were a number of responses in this thread, lamenting that Melisandre isn't sultry/sexy enough. Asha isn't really described as beautiful/hot--a little leaner, maybe.

Also, complaints about Catelyn not being the hottest woman in the north.

apana

There are a lot of people sharing their opinions, you can't take every single complaint and harp over it. You have to look at the general response, and yes the general response to Asha has been negative. Melisandre has gotten a very good reception in comparison.

I've never really been accused of having really high standards or anything, but I don't find Ygritte attractive at all. Her voice is bloody annoying too.

Oona Chaplin more than makes up for it though with her scenes :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
There aren't a lot of people complaining about Ygritte being too hot.
There was bitching on tumblr (lol) but I don't really pay attention to the nerdrage to be honest. I was being facetious because the complaints about actresses not being hot enough are just silly. This was funny though.

Big-E

I've never really been accused of having really high standards or anything, but I don't find Ygritte attractive at all. Her voice is bloody annoying too.

Oona Chaplin more than makes up for it though with her scenes :)

The way Ygritte says "Crow" is fucking amazing. Love it.

apana

The way Ygritte says "Crow" is fucking amazing. Love it.

I love her attitude, especially that last scene with her in episode 7 when she reunites with her wildling buddies and taunts Jon about missing his chance with her. She is a fantastic actress, her personality seems to be the complete opposite of Ygritte.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"So are there any girl crows?"

I still chuckle at that line, thinking about it randomly. Heh.

Dany

Banned
More ygritte love.

The first time we see her, telling Jon to 'do it, cut my head off, and burn me' was perfect. Whether or not she knows the source material, she plays the book character fantastically.

apana

More ygritte love.

The first time we see her, telling Jon to 'do it, cut my head off, and burn me' was perfect. Whether or not she knows the source material, she plays the book character fantastically.

Yeah, you got that feeling that when her and Qhorin were talking that they were really in this world at war with one another. Sometimes with an actor you can sort of see the performance but with those two they just put their heart into it and only the characters showed up.

The thing about Catelyn, Cersei and the rest is that some people (aka book people) aren't keeping in mind they aged up nearly the entire cast in order to have certain characters be older (Dany, in particular couldn't have been her original age for obvious reasons) but still have the age differences of the cast remain mostly accurate.

I think looks wise the casting is fine with the age up in mind with the exception of Asha. She was the only real "lolwut" in the looks department to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lena is fricking fantastic. She's been one of my waifu candidates ever since Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Pecan1

Banned
wow all the Dany gifs are stright fire
and blood?

I thought that the 1st one was best but they just kept getting better

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. It's pretty easy to dismiss complaints about Cersei. She's beautiful by any standard, and if the complaint mentions "...in the books" in any way, you know you're not dealing with anyone rational to begin with.

2. The real crime in the looks department is Catelyn Stark, but she's perhaps the best actress in the show, so that just makes me look shallow. On the same note, perhaps Cersei isn't the problem, it's that every woman other than Catelyn and her sister (and perhaps that scottish/wilding wench snow is gettin' all boney with) are exceedingly good looking. But seriously, Cersei/Headley is ridiculously hot.

3. Who is/was Renly's wife? The sister of the Knight of Flowers? Saw her featured in a preview for a film that was on the Iron Lady DVD. I think she's doing the smirk thing on purpose after seeing her in another role.

4. Speaking of Iron Lady, Jorah Mormont was in it! I geeked out and my wife was like :: rolleyes, never sleeping with you again :: He's a great actor, anyway.

5. Very much looking forward to this week's episode. Hoping to see Snow co-opted by ::spoiler::, Dany's reaction to the massacre thing, and some serious movement of war nearing KL.

6. The council of the 13/massacre thing was done so fucking well. One of the first times throughout the season I jumped out of my chair and said, What! Now that kicked ass!

Un-numbered point, but my strategy of NOT re-reading the books (stopped halfway through FFC about 4-5 years ago I think) was sound. Every single complaint I'm reading about this or that in the books seems so juvenile (see the Cersei complaints). I'm sure this point is belabored by pretty much everyone here by now, but seriously -- different medium, different product. GRRM is involved so I'm good with it, and as I just pointed out, not reading the books for a significant period of time makes every scene feel completely new. I mean, right until it's about to happen and then I'm like, BAM! I know what's next!

Speaking of #6, MAJOR SPOILER from ASoS:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THE RED WEDDING IS GOING TO BE AWWWWWESOOME!!!

If you reply to that with blacked-out text, I can't/won't read it for the same reason I haven't re-read the books.

vv thanks!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Speaking of #6, MAJOR SPOILER for a book I'm not sure of, but it was in or before FFC:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THE RED WEDDING IS GOING TO BE AWWWWWESOOME!!!

If you reply to that with blacked-out text, I can't/won't read it for the same reason I haven't re-read the books.
That was in ASoS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom