• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty much missed all the discussion about the last episode due to Diablo 3

I read the scene with Jaime as him not actually trying to escape, but just wanting to get himself executed due to being sick of being imprisoned. He would rather just be killed than go on sitting there in chains like that

I don't. Lena is not an ugly woman, but she's not "most beautiful woman in the realm" beautiful. I always imagined Tricia Helfer as Cersei and it's a pity she didn't win the part.

Problem for me is that I've seen Lena as Sarah Connor...and man, was Sarah like 50 times hotter than Cersei could ever dream of being. Guess it's the dark hair.

Dany gifs are awesome as always. It's almost unfair sticking her gifs next to poor Ygritte, who isn't ugly by any means but she sure the hell ain't Emilia Clarke.

Emitan

Even though I read the books years ago the show still gets me so excited. Every time an episode is over I'm like "I can't wait to see what happens next!" even know I know what happens. So fantastic.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Has nothing to do with Lena's gaptooth ugliness.

Has everything to do with turning cold, conniving Cersei into a blathering emo mom.

Actually, I just don't think Lena Headey is attractive enough for the part. IDK, in my mind Cersei was a total bombshell; Headey is what I would call "handsome," not a bombshell.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dany gifs are awesome as always. It's almost unfair sticking her gifs next to poor Ygritte, who isn't ugly by any means but she sure the hell ain't Emilia Clarke.
I would've made more Ygritte .gifs but a lot of her scenes this past ep involved talking for a lengthy period which makes for a much heftier .gif.

Amir0x

Banned
4. Speaking of Iron Lady, Jorah Mormont was in it! I geeked out and my wife was like :: rolleyes, never sleeping with you again :: He's a great actor, anyway.

Jorah Mormont was kiiind of a dick in Downton Abbey. I was like "you belong to Dany, Jorah, what the hell are you doing trying to marry that girl?" But he got bitter and shit, started being all cruel. Can't blame the guy.

New episode tonight:
The Prince of Winterfell

At Winterfell, Theon receives a visitor and holds down the fort. Arya calls in her final debt with Jaqen in a way that displeases him. Robb is betrayed. Tyrion and Varys find common ground. Dany ignores Jorah’s advice. Stannis and Davos approach their destination, and Davos is offered a reward.

DBT85

I've no idea what is going to happen, but I want to see more scenes with Arya and Tywin. Loved all of their interactions thus far.

RaidenZR

New episode tonight:The Prince of Winterfell

At Winterfell, Theon receives a visitor and holds down the fort. Arya calls in her final debt with Jaqen in a way that displeases him. Robb is betrayed. Tyrion and Varys find common ground. Dany ignores Jorah’s advice. Stannis and Davos approach their destination, and Davos is offered a reward.

Has
Theon been in every episode this season?
That's pretty surprising and I would not have predicted that.

Just rewatched the episode. Loved the scene between Jaime and Catelyn at the end. NCW veering between off the cuff comments ("Who is that beast?") and sheer malice is fun to watch. Ygritte vs Jon and Arya vs Tywin continue to deliver, as well.

They forgot to mention ACOK
Skeletor's triumphant return to acting.
ACoK
Rattleshirt's making an appearance tonight?

And just where the HELL have you been?!
I was out of town for the last week. Did anything happen when I was gone? *screams in horror like Maester Luwin*

Now that you're back find me a link to the s2e7 of Thronecast that I can actually watch. :(
I just checked the usual places and I couldn't find a non-UK copy. :( Thanks for posting news last week, btw.

Angry Fork

I just got done with the first season of the show. (Trying my best to avoid spoilers in here, but this is the main popular thread for this show so I have to ask it here), I just want to know am I supposed to feel sympathetic towards the white lady with the dragons? I absolutely hate/don't understand her. First she's raped by the big hulk brute guy and then within 2 episodes loves him, is this some sort of stockholm syndrome? Why does she risk her life to protect the man who raped her? I don't understand what's going on here.

And then she swears she's hot shit and a queen who wants to tell everyone what to do when she has done nothing to earn such a title except fuck the brute guy. I sided with the witch lady, I'm glad she did what she did because those assholes go through towns raping/killing everyone. Why should I feel bad the white lady lost her son? I don't get it. The show makes it seem like I'm supposed to be on her side though because they show the dragons and it's supposed to be this 'man she's really awesome daughter of dragons fuck yea!' moment but it was very anti-climactic to me because I don't like her at all.

Anyway I love the show, it was slow at first but picked up real fast. I feel like shit over Ned's death especially after sacrificing his pride and still being fucked over by Joffrey. I was annoyed when Jon Snow's friends came into the woods and stopped him, I wanted him to go fight with his family. I feel bad for Arya and her sword instructor. Arya's my favorite character in the show, she seems the most honest and brave I want to see her grow up and take revenge on the Lannisters. It makes me want to read the books to see what happens quicker but I don't know if I'll be able to withstand reading lots of pages about characters I don't necessarily care about just to get to the good stuff. At least with a show it's less time.

Talon

Wait, how is
Robb getting betrayed tonight?
I feel like I'm missing something. It's not
the thing quite yet

I just got done with the first season of the show. (Trying my best to avoid spoilers in here, but this is the main popular thread for this show so I have to ask it here), I just want to know am I supposed to feel sympathetic towards the white lady with the dragons? I absolutely hate/don't understand her. First she's raped by the big hulk brute guy and then within 2 episodes loves him, is this some sort of stockholm syndrome? Why does she risk her life to protect the man who raped her? I don't understand what's going on here.

And then she swears she's hot shit and a queen who wants to tell everyone what to do when she has done nothing to earn such a title except fuck the brute guy. I sided with the witch lady, I'm glad she did what she did because those assholes go through towns raping/killing everyone. Why should I feel bad the white lady lost her son? I don't get it. The show makes it seem like I'm supposed to be on her side though because they show the dragons and it's supposed to be this 'man she's really awesome daughter of dragons fuck yea!' moment but it was very anti-climactic to me because I don't like her at all.

Anyway I love the show, it was slow at first but picked up real fast. I feel like shit over Ned's death especially after sacrificing his pride and still being fucked over by Joffrey. I was annoyed when Jon Snow's friends came into the woods and stopped him, I wanted him to go fight with his family. I feel bad for Arya and her sword instructor. Arya's my favorite character in the show, she seems the most honest and brave I want to see her grow up and take revenge on the Lannisters. It makes me want to read the books to see what happens quicker but I don't know if I'll be able to withstand reading lots of pages about characters I don't necessarily care about just to get to the good stuff. At least with a show it's less time.

Some people really like her. I'm in agreement. I'm glad her son died. Fuck the Stallion that Mounts the World. Now maybe fewer people out there will know the joy of being raped and murdered by the Dothraki.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Wait, how is
the thing quite yet

ACOK
Between the possibility of Cat letting Jaime go, Theon "killing" Bran and Rickon, and Karstark pulling some shit, there's a fair chance Robb could be betrayed 3 times tonight.

Amir0x

Banned
Apparently everyone hates the show now, dunno what happened.

there's just real significant problems with the show now and as more and more plot elements are introduced, these issues become bigger and bigger because it seems inconsistent with where we knew these characters will end up.

Non-book readers don't have these expectations, so if you go in those types of threads, the reaction is very different.

It's difficult for someone who has experience the superior product to accept some of the massive changes, which have frequently been detrimental to the characters as a whole. That doesn't mean the show is bad, though.

Outside of the book niggles, the real problem is the direction. Truly low-tier shit here, and one doesn't even need to read the books to understand this. It's really rough around the edges and every episode seems to break at the seams with the amateur-hour direction.

Still, it's not a bad show. True Blood, that's a bad show. Dexter, that's a bad show. Game of Thrones is a pretty good show, just not a great one.

AngryMoth

lol so is this thread over that whole argument episode or is that still going on. Looks about over.
Gutshot pulled a hard reset on the thread by exposing us to the Tywin dancing gif *shudders*, although I think Ami may have just resurrected the dicussion :p. There were actually a lot of good points made amongst all the bickering.

Wait, how is
the thing quite yet

ACOK/ASOS
I think it'd be something simpler than Cat/Jaime; Maybe they added some stuff about Talisa off with Robb, revealing herself to be Jeyne Westerling, the family of a Lannister bannerman and deciding to betray him before falling in love with him, etc. etc. There really was little point to have her conceal her name from Jeyne to Talisa unless it was a somewhat important plot point, and by all indications she's still credited as "Jeyne."

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ACOK/ASOS
I think it'd be something simpler than Cat/Jaime; Maybe they added some stuff about Talisa off with Robb, revealing herself to be Jeyne Westerling, the family of a Lannister bannerman and deciding to betray him before falling in love with him, etc. etc. There really was little point to have her conceal her name from Jeyne to Talisa unless it was a somewhat important plot point, and by all indications she's still credited as "Jeyne."

ACOK
Yeah this too. I'd bet good money she'll just be Jeyne Lannister on the show.

Still, it's not a bad show. True Blood, that's a bad show. Dexter, that's a bad show. Game of Thrones is a pretty good show, just not a great one.

pretty much. People were shitting on me last season because I ranked this show below other currently airing stuff like Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men.

Uh....not so crazy now.

jett

D-Member

Outside of the book niggles, the real problem is the direction. Truly low-tier shit here, and one doesn't even need to read the books to understand this. It's really rough around the edges and every episode seems to break at the seams with the amateur-hour direction.

Tru dat.

I've been rewatching Rome this weekend, there's such a gulf in quality of editing, direction and pacing between it and GoT. I don't get it. :/ There was a time when I thought GoT would be HBO's Rome 2.0. Showtime's The Borgias is better produced, ffs.

And after getting reacquainted myself with quality HBO shows(a few weeks ago I also binged on dat Deadwood), there's no doubt in my mind when I say most of the actors in GoT are seriously mediocre at best.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Why would you even spoil that for yourself if you haven't read the book?

I've read the books but stopped midway through FFC, like I said. It's been long enough that I've forgotten major plot points and watching the show is a great way to see a new (and different) take on the same material. Lots of fun, which was the point of my post.

The Borgias has Neil Jordan behind it. He's an aiight writer/director.

I truly think GRRM or HBO or whoever fucked up by picking these guys as the showrunners. Troy is so bad, and also they're the masterminds behind the X Men Origins: Wolverine script.

Still, considering their track record this turned out better than expected. But the source material deserves better.

edit: yeah the actors aren't very good in here. I think people like Tywin and Davos (what little amount of screentime he gets) stand out immensely because of it

Alan Taylor directed tonight's episode, so that will be nice. I think if we can make a consensus in here, it would be that people didn't like David Nutter's directing. It will be great to have Taylor behind the camera again.

endre

there's just real significant problems with the show now and as more and more plot elements are introduced, these issues become bigger and bigger because it seems inconsistent with where we knew these characters will end up.

Why exactly is this a problem? I see a lot of people rage about the show being to different from the books. But why?

Its not like you haven't read the books, so you will miss out on something. And if you haven't read the books, then you cant feel disappointed about them not showing some stuff from the books.

To answer the above question form my perspective.

I don't like how are they handling John's Ygritte part of the story, but i guess its a bit to early to complain about that. We'll see after the tonight's ep. However if they can pull of a different story that works, then I don't mind the show being (a bit) different from the books.

Plus gutshot made a good summary why are things hard to make happen in the show, and why there is need of compromise.
One of my biggest problems with the show at the moment is the new mountain.

Hehehe, I'm not alone...

Amir0x

Banned
Oh Amir0x is starting his "superior product" nonsense he's been running for the past 6 years. Never gets old.

oh no PantherLotus is going to whine

The books are superior, something you gotta deal with. That's also of course because books are almost always superior, but when it comes to presenting a massive ensemble, it's no contest... the level of detail, the logical consistency of actions, the ability to avoid the dreadful directing of the show. I don't see what aspect of the show you could conceivably contend is better, but I'd gladly accept the entertainment of seeing you try.

Tru dat.

I've been rewatching Rome this weekend, there's such a gulf in quality of editing, direction and pacing between it and GoT. I don't get it. :/ There was a time when I thought GoT would be HBO's Rome 2.0. Showtime's The Borgias is better produced, ffs.

And after getting reacquainted myself with quality HBO shows(a few weeks ago I also binged on dat Deadwood), there's no doubt in my mind when I say most of the actors in GoT are seriously mediocre at best.

Yup, Borgias does more with what I'm sure is a cheaper budget. The gulf in direction is massive.

As for the acting, I don't actually have as much of a problem as you seem to. My big problems remain with Lena, who simply doesn't have the range to cover both protective, genuinely loving mother goose and conniving, embittered, paranoid queen. And I have on again-off-again problems with Theon, who sometimes seems good, and sometimes seems to be really nervous that he's on camera.

Other than that, problems are script issues. Xaro's actor isn't bad, per say... but what did the writers do? His entire script has been embarrassing, to say the least.

endre said:
Why exactly is this a problem? I see a lot of people rage about the show being to different from the books. But why?

Its not like you haven't read the books, so you will miss out on something. And if you haven't read the books, then you cant feel disappointed about them not showing some stuff from the books.

I listed numerous issues earlier, but it's possible to enjoy the books and simply think changes are legitimately for the worse. Arya's story to me, even though I enjoy her interactions with Tywin, have really gutted the meat of her character transformation. Her story is supposed to be far more brutal, and that has been reduced. But it also makes it clash with the logic of the show. Why didn't she just tell Jaquen to kill Tywin?

I can name like fifty changes that don't make sense, but this is the one immediately springs to mind. Arya is not stupid.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Nah, not whining, just pointing out that you've had the same boring criticism of basically everything for a long, long time. Figured you'd start evolving or improving your amateur hour commentary by now. It's just kinda boring at this point. Oh, Amir0x thinks this version is inferior? Oook. And?

Amir0x

Banned
Nah, not whining, just pointing out that you've had the same boring criticism of basically everything for a long, long time. Figured you'd start evolving or improving your amateur hour commentary by now. It's just kinda boring at this point. Oh, Amir0x thinks this version is inferior? Oook. And?

As always, there are about a billion specific bullet points you could choose to respond to in each post, but you don't - because you'd rather waste everyone's time and whine like a bitch.

Oh well. As always, you people choose to waste time when you could spend it actually participating.

To answer the above question form my perspective.

I don't like how are they handling John's Ygritte part of the story, but i guess its a bit to early to complain about that. We'll see after the tonight's ep. However if they can pull of a different story that works, then I don't mind the show being (a bit) different from the books.

Plus gutshot made a good summary why are things hard to make happen in the show, and why there is need of compromise.
One of my biggest problems with the show at the moment is the new mountain.

Yeah Gutshot's post about their production schedule was great, and everyone should keep that in mind. I think some things are changed in the show from the source material not due to the budget, or creative liberties, but they often just need something that is easier/faster to film. Time is a major limiting factor in the production of this show.

I think I actually remember reading that D&D meant to film Tyrion/Tywin's battle against Robb's diversion force in season 1, but they ended up knocking Tyrion out before hand simply because they ran out of time on their filming schedule.

Their changes regarding Jon this season have been perplexing, but I think (hope) tonight's episode will shed some light on where they are going with that arc.

I don't like the new mountain either.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
To the bigger point, it is possible to judge something on its own merits while appreciating the nerd-nods GRRM and the production staff have made. Why are you counting changes? Why bother? Seems like a terrible way to try and enjoy a product that can never compete with your own imagination (which seems quite active, btw!).

As always, there are about a billion specific bullet points you could choose to respond to in each post, but you don't - because you'd rather waste everyone's time and whine like a bitch.

Oh well. As always, you people choose to waste time when you could spend it actually participating.

Classy as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom