• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a chill episode this week. Nothing too big happened but a lot of the scenes were good. They're building up for the finale.

I'm only disappointed that Dany only got one scene. I want to the House of the Undying already. That was one of the best chapters on the books.

Also, lol at Ros. Someone on here called it.

I do too but I know they're not going to do any justice to it. ASOS Spoiler:
I know we won't get to see a glimpse of the king with the wolf's head. :(

Content Roundup:

oCHxL.jpg

HBO Videos
- Preview for next week's episode (HBO vid, please spoiler tag any discussion)
- Inside the Episode for this week's installment (HBO vid)

Reviews are coming later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Mordeccai

Its been a deep, secret fear of mine as well. Heres to hoping these next two episodes will not disappoint!

edit: Did somebody mention earlier HBO was going to have a preview of the Blackwater up on GO after the episode aired? Something that was more than the preview at the end of the ep? Or am I just going crazy.

jett

D-Member

Why would we get that? That is only mentioned in passing by a character or two and never seen by any point of view character.

LProtag

I actually thought this episode did a lot of good work bringing stuff back on track that I was a little concerned about. Mostly Jon and Arya's stories.

I really enjoyed it, I think it's set up everything pretty well for the final two episodes. ACOK
We know the battle is coming next episode, we know Dany's going into the House of the Undying, and we see that the Halfhand is planning to have Jon turn traitor.

Mordeccai

I'm at work right now, but man, this sounds like another disappointing episode.

What happened with Jon?

Its really not disappointing, very enjoyable. Its just taken some time for the cogs to start turning this season.

Jon meets Qhorin who has been taken captive as well, rest of the Crows were killed. Ygritte tells Rattle shirt that Mance will want to see him, and the wildlings start marching with Jon and Half Hand presumably towards Mance.

Kud Dukan

One of my favorite episodes this season. The preview for next week looks great, but I can't believe we've only got two more episodes. Then the waiting begins again...

Kettch

Some really great scenes this week. Jaime and Brienne will be gold no matter what they do, Davos/Stannis and every Tyrion scene.

Also some nice humor.

Sam, not doing anything: "Help me." Hahaha.

"A girl has no honor." Shrug.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Some really great scenes this week. Jaime and Brienne will be gold no matter what they do, Davos/Stannis and every Tyrion scene.

Also some nice humor.

Sam, not doing anything: "Help me." Hahaha.

"A girl has no honor." Shrug.

"All these gods are so vengeful. Wheres the god of tits and wine?"

Kammie

Its really not disappointing, very enjoyable. Its just taken some time for the cogs to start turning this season.

Jon meets Qhorin who has been taken captive as well, rest of the Crows were killed. Ygritte tells Rattle shirt that Mance will want to see him, and the wildlings start marching with Jon and Half Hand presumably towards Mance.
Well, at least it seems like the end result will be the same. Guess they just needed to somehow take up time for several episodes in order to group all the climaxes together.

jett

D-Member
Jaqen btw has been great this season, really like what the actor did with the character, it's almost exactly as I imagined it.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Anyhow the change with Catelyn sending Jaime away andRobb fucking Jeyne before they heard of the kids being dead is the worst sofar this series. I loved last week but this week was just meh.
I don't get why they did that. I could've understood if they had to do it cause they moved Jamie's escape before Bran and Rickon's "deaths", but given the timing in which these events happened they could've easily squeezed a scene with them finding out about Bran and Rickon somehow before this episode. This way makes both Catelyn and Robb look worse.

Zabka

Next week's preview looks great but it's a reminder that dark scenes look like Sega CD FMV with Time Warner Cable's shit HD compression. I could barely make out ships in the background of the Stannis / Davos scene, and a whole episode next week at night...ugh.

AngryMoth

I rather liked this episode.

Many of my criticism from last week still stand however. The show has too many story lines for it's own good, it doesn't feel very coherent when its jumping around so much and we don't really get to spend enough time with anyone to build an episode arc. The writing is also again not at the level I'd like it to be. There was some a lot good stuff in this episode, Jaime/Brienne Tyrion/Cersei, Stannis/Davos, Tyrion/Varys, but it needs to be more consistent I feel, there are too many mediocre and sometimes just bad lines. And yeah, as others have said, the, err...Tulisa story went on far too long.

But onto the good! Absolutely adored Jaime's scene with Brienne, that was just so good and I can't wait to see more. Both actors absolutely nailing their characters. Dinklage was also outstanding in this ep. In fact I'd say he was actually too good in his scene with Shae, the juxtaposition of the performances was almost comical. Its a fair criticism of books I feel that Tyrion's love for Shae is somewhat baffling and out of character, and that was on full display in this scene. Oh, and I also really liked Lena (thats right haterz!). She did a great job of playing crazy bitch Cersei in her scene with Tyrion, love her smug little grim at the end.

Also loved the scene with Stannis. I haven't cared for the actor much this season, he hasn't seem hard enough, but this was a big improvement. Good telling of Davo's backstory as well. I'm enjoying how they're managing to fit bits of trivia into the show in unexpected places. Lots of good little tidbits for the audience in Tyrion's talk with Varys at the end. (adwd)
One upshot of Jeyne's monologue is that viewers will be familiar with Volantis when it comes up again, and thus might actually give a fuck...maybe

Although they continue taking many liberties with the material I can't think of any change that bothered me this week. Actually one; (amok)
Arya should of stabbed a dude during the escape.
Yeah, her story is starting to feel extremely toned down, but hopefully they can make up for it next season.

Other random thoughts
- Who are the 3 men that could give Jaime a run for his money do we think :p. In the books the hound is the only person he considers a peer I believe, so Sandor, the mountain (wildcard), and...? Barristan; too old; Loras no chance. Maybe
Garlan?
- Jon Snow, eh. Forgettable again unfortunately. But man that Lord of Bones looks like a mean fella.
- I didn't find Dany annoying in her scene which is a big improvement over previous weeks.
- Thinking about it, I enjoyed this more as an adaptation rather than a tv show, which is good for me but not necessarily the wider audience. I suppose I'm still in a minority on that one though so no worries for now.
- How many times did they break out the C word? I don't have a problem with it but it should be used more sparingly else it loses it's effect, and it does come across as a bit vulgar.
- Dat promo.
"Those are brave men out there. Lets go kill them" is one of my favourite Tyrion lines but it doesn't quite work in that context. Still I'm glad they kept it in. Definitely no chain so looks like they're going completely off script for the battle. Looking forward to it, looks expensive.

aceface

Next week's preview looks great but it's a reminder that dark scenes look like Sega CD FMV with Time Warner Cable's shit HD compression. I could barely make out ships in the background of the Stannis / Davos scene, and a whole episode next week at night...ugh.

Yes this holy shit it looks so bad on time warner. Only 11 months until blu rays fml

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ACOK
I'm still fully convinced by that promo pic, I think the chain is pretty obvious in it. I expected to hear about it tonight though so I dunno.

Lothar

Banned
I don't get why they did that. I could've understood if they had to do it cause they moved Jamie's escape before Bran and Rickon's "deaths", but given the timing in which these events happened they could've easily squeezed a scene with them finding out about Bran and Rickon somehow before this episode. This way makes both Catelyn and Robb look worse.

Yes, I liked the episode for the most part, but this was a terrible change. It weakens both Catelyn and Robb's characters for no reason.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
"All these gods are so vengeful. Wheres the god of tits and wine?"
I was honestly surprised at that line, because with them talking about how the Drowned God wants men drowned, and the Lord of Light wants them burned, I was almost positive he was going to say something along the lines of, "Hopefully we will be able to oblige them both."

My impressions from the episode:
-It's sad to see the Tywin-Arya relationship come to an end. Easily one of the best parts of this season.
-I could have sworn Cersei knew Ros wasn't Tyrion's whore, and that she was just going to have him followed because she knew he would inevitably check up on Shae afterwards.
-I really didn't think the Dany scene was needed. We get it, the dragons are your "Children".
-Can't wait to see more Brienne and Jaime
-Stannis and Davos' talk was one of my favorite scenes. I got a laugh out of Stannis describing the decision to eat cats, and then dogs.
-Despite it being painstakingly clear that Bran and Rickon were alive, I think the last scene was very well done.

-aCoK Spoilers:
I was really hoping that the episode would end with Jaqen and the coin, but I suppose we'll have to wait until the final episode for that.

Dany

Banned
I was honestly surprised at that line, because with them talking about how the Drowned God wants men drowned, and the Lord of Light wants them burned, I was almost positive he was going to say something along the lines of, "Hopefully we will be able to oblige them both."

Same, totally expecting that.

charsace

In the books I wanted more Rob, but in the show I don't give a fuck and wish we saw less of him. Some of these changes I don't like. The Arya change really urks me because it really was important for her character development.

Pecan1

Banned
I thought that episode was great, so much for them not building up a sense of immanent battle in KL

-Jamie and Breanne scenes are great i hope we get some more of them
-Rattleshit looked and sounded mean and badass like I want a wildling to
-Damn Talisa was that worth it,
-Alot of Robb tonight certainly wasnt the best part but certainly better than Jon Snow leash scenes
-Cant wait to see more QHand and Jon next week
-They really nailed Dolorous Edd and general NW humor grinned the entire time they were talking
-Theon and Asha scenes were dope
- I just re-read the part of CoK where Arya escapes Harenhal today, they def cut out a possible great little action sequence COK
Weasel Soup

Once again that hour seemed to be done before I knew it,

Edit
Really the only thing that's missing from Arya in CoK is
the village stuff Amory Looch (?) the Weese stuff and her talking about how she had to transition from being a sheep, to a mouse to the ghost of Harrenhal
I like the Arya stuff but I'm not onboard with this Arya lovefest, her stuff is good but I mean they are all really good

Helmholtz

Okay episode, not as good as some of the previous ones.
Did not like the Rob scenes, they dragged on way too long to develop a character that doesn't really need to be developed anymore. Not a fan of the changes to the Arya/Jon storylines either. I mean, yes all of these storylines are going to play out relatively the same, but I just think the changes they made weaken the plot/characters. Also, the build-up to the battle of blackwater has been almost non-existent. I mean, no mention at all of
the chain? Is that even going to happen?
. Also, the ending wasn't very cliff-hangery... Theon pretty much telegraphed it a few minutes before it was revealed. And the fact that it was revealed so soon really lessens the impact. In the book
serveral chapters pass before we hear about Brann again
. Much more effective.
The show is still good, but it just bothers me that they spend a lot of time on stupid shit like Robb and his girlfriend, and less time developing important characters and storylines. It always feels like they're shoehorning shit in to meet the tits and ass quota.

On the positive side, the Tyrion scenes with Varys were awesome, and the actor playing Varys is one of the best on the show. Perfect casting. I also enjoyed the Jaime/Brienne scene.

Some good and some bad tonight.

The good: Jaime and Brienne are going to be fun.
Robb and whatsherface was pretty good.
Davos and Stannis
Theon

The bad: Jon's storyline gets worse and worse. Can't believe they'd fuck up the Halfhand as bad they have. Jon continues to be stupid and passive, not that he had much of a chance to do anything else.

Arya's "escape." One of the things they fucked up in the first season was Arya and the stableboy. That scene was terribly played. I was hoping we'd get another shot at it with Arya and the guard, but that's been erased. I don't have a problem with the change in Jaqen helping them escape (I will miss the weasal soup and Nan and the weasals), but it would have been better if Arya had killed someone herself.

Ros. I always assumed that Ros would take the place Ala... however you spell that whore's name. But I kind of figured they'd change it so that Shae would actually be held captive since there was no interaction between Tyrion and Ros this season other than him sending her to Joffrey. As it is, Cersei holding Ros really makes no fucking sense, even taking into account Cersei's stupidity. They would have been better off with Shae having been taken.

Pecan1

Banned
Tyrone banged ROS in S1Ep1 and tipped her w/ a necklace.

Is next week going to be a full hour of Troy director cut style battle scenes?

Helmholtz

The bad: Jon's storyline gets worse and worse. Can't believe they'd fuck up the Halfhand as bad they have. Jon continues to be stupid and passive, not that he had much of a chance to do anything else.
Yeah... the fact that the Halfhand is supposed to be super badass is completely lost in the show. He's just some random old dude that Jon hung out with for a few minutes of screen time.
Why should he even have any confidence in Jon? He barely even knows him.
It's just another one of those changes that are bizarre... they had Jon hanging out with Ygritte for so long when
that's going to happen next season anyway
. I'm not usually one to nitpick at the differences between the book and the show, but some of these changes actually hurt the show quite a bit.

bengraven

It has to be said.

Jeyne is the hottest chick on this show. I was thinking that long before I imagined she would do a nude scene.

Then again, I realized the reason I feel like this is because she looks and acts like my wife.

ASOS and speculation on ADWD plotlines tying into the show
Say what you will about the pseudo lame manner in which they put Robb and Jeyne together, but the sex scene was well done, in my opinion. With her little laughs and giggles and biting his face, I think she really sold it well. Coupled with the music, thinking about what comes next for the both of them is really kind of heartbreaking. Doubly so if she ends up being Ramsay's Jeyne/Fake Arya as some have speculated.

Also, it's sort of criminal how little Stannis we've gotten. That scene with him and Davos was fantastic.

aceface

Interesting how they worked in some material from DwD tis episode, specifically Tryions story about running the drains in Casterly Rock.

Yeah... the fact that the Halfhand is supposed to be super badass is completely lost in the show. He's just some random old dude that Jon hung out with for a few minutes of screen time.
Why should he even have any confidence in Jon? He barely even knows him.
It's just another one of those changes that are bizarre... they had Jon hanging out with Ygritte for so long when
that's going to happen next season anyway
. I'm not usually one to nitpick at the differences between the book and the show, but some of these changes actually hurt the show quite a bit.

And since he's known him, all Jon has done was fail to execute a captive and then let her escape which got him lost and caused Quorin and his men to go after them which apparently got them all killed, well except the Halfhand who I guess got his ass kicked and surrendered.

The changes to Jon's storyline must be a result of not enough time and not enough money. There's no way they could have thought these changes were beneficial to the storyline or even good.

edit: and Ghost is a dick.

bengraven

Honestly Jon's story hasn't changed that much. It's going to end on the same note, the two scenes here just kind of expand it out a bit since everyone's story is either being rushed or dragged out this season.

The canon stickler in me, however, was a bit upset that it was Grenn digging a shitter that found the dragonglass arrows and not Jon and Ghost.

ASOS and speculation on ADWD plotlines tying into the show
Say what you will about the pseudo lame manner in which they put Robb and Jeyne together, but the sex scene was well done, in my opinion. With her little laughs and giggles and biting his face, I think she really sold it well. Coupled with the music, thinking about what comes next for the both of them is really kind of heartbreaking. Doubly so if she ends up being Ramsay's Jeyne/Fake Arya as some have speculated.

Also, it's sort of criminal how little Stannis we've gotten. That scene with him and Davos was fantastic.

Agreed. There were actually three scenes that broke my heart for future events.

Robb and Jeyne's well done love story (I thought this even before Oona got naked)
Luwin and Osha

and Yara/Asha and Theon.

The suddenly moment of love between brother and sister that was not in the books actually fits well with ADWD and the spoiler chapters of Winds. The moment where she almost gasps out "come home" I was like "aw".

Interesting how they worked in some material from DwD tis episode,
specifically Tryions story about running the drains in Casterly Rock.

Speaking of this (DANCE)
did anyone notice the way Varys brought up Dany and her dragons? It's like how for one moment he almost wants to whisper "you can leave all this and join a much more reasonable fight across the water and see some dragons as well".

Oh and mark your spoiler. You're basically telling them all that Tyrion survives to Book 5.

aceface

I was ok with that change to Jon's story, spells out the price of being merciful in the north, that's a lesson Jon needs to learn.

Pecan1

Banned
Jon's story will turn out fine by the end of the season, it's not like what was shown tonight was the last of him.
Take a peek at the Ep10 tv guide thing

Im still loving that scene where Sam and I guess D. Edd and Grenn ( who are those guys supposed to be?) are digging.
Series? not sure which book
makes me look forward to the battle at the wall and all the other cool stuff that goes on at the wall

bengraven

I was ok with that change to Jon's story, spells out the price of being merciful in the north, that's a lesson Jon needs to learn.

And that same lesson was in the book.

Really, of all the changes in the series, the Jon and Ygritte and Halfhand stuff is really the same, just drawn out a bit more.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
I'm not sure if it's just me but (Series)
it's really amazing how different the views of Theon are when comparing those who have read the books to those who haven't. For those who haven't, Theon is despicable and they can't wait for him to face punishment for his crimes, while I'm sure a lot of book readers watching the show just can't get mad at Theon because they know what horrors await him. I wonder if any book readers have actually been called out on that by people new to the show, ("What do you mean you don't hate Theon?!") and if that could spoil the fact that Theon's story takes a massive turn later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom