• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

Lots of good setup in this episode.

Loved Bronn-Tyrion-Varys interaction. Bronn really helps push the state of the city in his dialogue with how his watch handled the thieves. Stannis/Davos stuff was good too. Loved how his character shines through, even when discussing what animals they had to eat as they starved. Leading into the last couple episodes nicely.

I am going to enjoy Brienne/Jaime I think.

I liked how in that Ros scene you could see Cersei in the backgrounf enjoying listening to Tyrion talk to 'his whore'. She looked like she was listening to her favorite bedtime story.

good to see the dragonglass.

Danny stuff in this episode was rather unnecessary.

Oona. Oh my.

LProtag

I think the whole Jon and Qhorin Halfhand thing is fine.

ACoK
Qhorin is too well known among the wildlings and he knows he's sure to die, they'd never let him live or join them. Jon is young and has an important heritage. Qhorin has to trust him because he's the only one that can possibly do anything. Plus, I think he sees that in a way Jon has a good heart after letting Ygritte live and knows he'll be dedicated to the Watch.

My take anyway.

njean777

Eddard has two sons named Bran and Rickon. Jamie was telling the story about Brandon and Rickard (in the events that led up to Robert's Rebellion).

I get that, but what beef is he talking about, he was mad at Ned about Tyrion I thought...or does this have anything with Ned calling him the Kingslayer?

Can you tell me the story of Bran and Rickon? I just finished SOS and don't remember him telling any story about them...

ACOK
Jaime tells the story of how Lord Rickon and Brandon were murdered by King Aerys before Robert's rebellion. Brandon came to King's Landing after his sister Lyanna (then betrothed to Robert Baratheon) was "kidnapped" by Prince Rhaegar. He and his friends, all sons or nephews of great lords, demanded Rheagar's head. Aerys had them all arrested for treason, summoned their fathers to King's Landing, and then executed them all without trial. Lord Rickard demanded trial by combat, so he was burned alive in his armor (as Aerys pointed out that fire is the champion of his house), while Brandon was forced to watch and strangled himself to death trying to save him. Jaime had to watch the whole thing (remember the talk about honoring vows?) and he pointed out the absurdity of Ned being more pissed about him sitting on Robert's throne after the sack of King's landing than he was relieved that Aerys was dead. Ned loved Robert more than his own family, and vice versa.

njean777

ACOK
Jaime tells the story of how Lord Rickon and Brandon were murdered by King Aerys before Robert's rebellion. Brandon came to King's Landing after his sister Lyanna (then betrothed to Robert Baratheon) was "kidnapped" by Prince Rhaegar. He and his friends, all sons or nephews of great lords, demanded Rheagar's head. Aerys had them all arrested for treason, summoned their fathers to King's Landing, and then executed them all without trial. Lord Rickard demanded trial by combat, so he was burned alive in his armor (as Aerys pointed out that fire is the champion of his house), while Brandon was forced to watch and strangled himself to death trying to save him. Jaime had to watch the whole thing (remember the talk about honoring vows?) and he pointed out the absurdity of Ned being more pissed about him sitting on Robert's throne after the sack of King's landing than he was relieved that Aerys was dead. Ned loved Robert more than his own family, and vice versa.

ahhh ok yeah, I remember the story being told, but now I get it.

lacinius

A bit of a "stalled" episode, but at least we were rewarded again with the mother of dragons still declaring herself the mother of dragons... and that's about it. :\ Other than that some great interactions throughout and I enjoyed the quiet "reveal" at the end... thought they might wait at least one episode... but a stoic reveal and then perfect music selection to accompany and balance. Love little moments like that.

pulga

Banned
Thought the episode was great, lot's of important setting up happened. Still dissapointed with how they've dropped the ball with Arya.

My thoughts:

+ Keeping the boots on
+ Theon/Yara scene
+ Tyrion in general, esp. "turn to ashes"
+ Cersei (surprisingly!)
+ Stannis/Davos convo

- Total butchery of Arya's character
- Useless Dany scene taking up time
- Jon is so dumb, like really dumb, for real
- Where the fuck is Ghost?
- Those fools stumbled on the arrowheads?

I can see how they're going to handle the Jon storyline, but man if they didn't waste time filming that the wrong way. Would have much rather had some more establishing the importance of Qhorin, (aCoK)
the escape, the eagle,
etc.

What is happening with Arya is just tragic. It seems like (aCoK)
they're afraid to have her kill people all of a sudden. Do they think it will make her less likable for the viewer if we see her turn into a killer? So far I think we've only seen her get what was mostly an "accidental" kill last season.
What the fuck? Really disappointing what they're doing there.

Hope next episode turns out well, but the preview has me concerned. They're doing some obvious things to mask a limited budget, such as (next episode)
doing it "at night" to mask the sparse backgrounds/lack of people
. I hope it turns out well, though.

Lastly, in fantasy world, George needs to write in a Melisandre+Jeyne love scene. YUM :p

Pecan1

Banned
Robb is knockin boots in Westeros

And Team Yegritte (?) knows whats up, shes hotter than the majority of females in the show all while being dressed up as an Eskimo.

Dysun

I liked this episode more than last week, the changes weren't so jarring from book to screen. Robb and psuedo Jeyne went on a bit too long but other than that I enjoyed it.

I hope there is more to Arya's escape and we will get it after Blackwater.

Kuroyume

Banned
The episode was pretty good. High points for me were Theon/Yara, Jaime/Brienne, Tyrion/Bronn, Rickard Karstark, Jaqen and yet another RAMSAY mention FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH BITCHES!

Low points were Robb/Jayne (totally fucking dull although I appreciate nude Jayne), Arya not
killing the guard
, lack of Ghost doing anything worthwhile above the wall this season
(no sight jacking from Jon nor did he discover the dragon glass)
and Daenerys doing absolutely nothing this episode.

I also thought Rattleshirt looked pretty lame. I imagined him as a much more scarier looking dude.

Also want to point out that the ending was great. Even though I felt they made the reveal too early I liked how they ended it by showing that scene with Luwin, Osha, and Bran.

Speevy

Banned
My impression of the Dany scene:

"You know, you're the mother of dragons."

"Yes, I am the mother of dragons. I must find my dragons."

"Yes, because you are the mother of dragons."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I got bored midway through this episode and stopped watching. I think I'm done with this show.

Herla

This episode explains why people are disappointed with this season better than any post in this thread:
Some of the changes ruining some of the storylines (no weasel soup, arya is still a helpless little girl) and the original writing being just bad (Talisa's story is something a teenager would think about).
Also, nothing happened, completely agree with Larry.
I have to say, though, the scene with Jaime and Brienne was good and I'm glad they showed Cersei's confidence in her stupidity...I was expecting Tyrion to at least smile, but I guess we're supposed to feel bad for Ros.

At this point I'm not upset and I don't even care much, as long as they take the criticism to heart and don't fuck up SoS (THAT would be bad.), but I hope they at least give us a proper House of the Undying...to be honest, I think that's gonna be more difficult than Blackwater.

Rekubot

Probably the most boring episode so far, didn't care for the Robb/Jeyne scenes AT ALL. Dany's scene was a complete waste of time. Last episode's scene created a nice sense of urgency, and rather than running straight to the HotU she goes back home to talk with Jorah? I mean... what?

What the fuck was so wrong with (COK)
Robb getting hit with an arrow, Jeyne nursing him back to health and it turning into a fuckfest?
Instead we get yet another exposition scene where a character tells a boring story that adds nothing to the show.

The writers are changing up Jon's story but as long as we still get (COK)
"Is your sword sharp" and the Jon/Ghost dream
I won't mind. Arya is still awesome but (COK)
I wish she'd kill somebody, are the writers afraid the audience will hate her if she does?

One other thing that bugs me that I must have missed: Robb went to the Crag to negotiate a peace, I suppose the talks fell through?

Emilia Clarke is a terrible, horrible actress. She is the weakest link on this show.
when is the last time the script has allowed her to demonstrate range?

Anyway I started the first book on Thursday and finished ACOK late last night. sort of amusing to see that HBO has been conjuring some of the more gratuitous sex scenes out of thin air, though that's totally unsurprising.
Still, who are they trying to appeal to with that? the sexposition scenes (with Littlefinger for example) arent even anything new, the same thing was done with Al Swearengen in Deadwood, so it's not like new ground is being forged.

ACOK
Bolton's bastard hasn't been cast, so Winterfell will get no resolution this season. I bet my ASS the season will end with The House of the Undying. Will end with Dany just like S1.

I'd be surprised if they didnt show the assassination attempt by the sorrowful men, then hook it back into Illyrio and the ships he sent.would make more sense to end on that note, especially since it loops into a character the audience knows from the first season.

yeah i feel like im only watching out of habit

the books were really good enough for me

ill finish the season i guess

It's not a bad show by any means. But this season has made it feel like an obligation/chore to watch it because I read the books. General curiosity sort of thing.

They better step their game up next two episodes. It's getting boring now.

Amir0x

Banned
What an incoherent episode, thematically. I mean it felt like they just wanted every character to have a scene... the entire episode goes without Dany, then we get a scene with Dany just so she can ignore Jorah once again and one again reaffirm she is the mother of dragons and won't leave her kids behind? Seriously? We established that. What a waste of time.

Stannis shouldn't have disappeared for an episode only to reappear for one scene in this one (although it wasn't a bad scene, mind). The build up to Blackwater is now completely muddled. And whatever about Tyrion's "strategizing". His idea this time is what? Fire wildfire indiscriminately and get them mired in shit at the MUD GATE? Guess we'll see.

And Arya's story is starting to be infuriating. Why are they removing so many bits of her essential character building? If someone can make a case for why this character is a better version of Arya for television audiences I'm all ears, but half the dark shit she does during Harrenhal and elsewhere would make great tv AND more sense for her character. Arya should be killin' f00s at this point, not continually looking like a scared girl all the time and semi-incompetent. And looks like the nonsensical nature of Arya's inability to name Tywin comes to fruition: now she actually wants to kill Tywin with Jacquen, and can't because it's "too late." Whatever.

The directing was better this episode, but I feel like Alan Taylor received the most boring episode of the season, so it's small consolation.

I held off most of my thoughts on the lack of cherished scenes from the book in part because I wanted to see where things were going. Now I think I've seen enough to definitely say that while I like this season more than the first, it has butchered so much of the book for no reason. The original scenes are often either so bad or so meaningless that I just don't understand the thought process behind them. Ros is the creation of Benioff/Weiss, and yet two seasons in she has yet to contribute anything to the show. If her arc ended tonight I gotta ask, what was the point?

I liked the idea of giving Dany more material, but what they've created is just cheesy television. She has been in a complete holding pattern for the last couple episodes, and the stalling couldn't be more blatant. Same with Jon and especially Robb, who hung out at his camp for most of the season.

All the King's Landing stuff that didn't involve Ros has been great, the Theon stuff is amazing, I liked the Renly and Stannis stuff, and Arya has been good overall despite some stalling and horrible changes. But between odd pacing, bad writing and average directing I'm rather concerned about the show's future. Next season will most likely start slow again as new people are introduced and the board is reset. But will viewers put up with more of that, and a host of unlikable characters?

duckroll

My thoughts:

+ Keeping the boots on
+ Theon/Yara scene
+ Tyrion in general, esp. "turn to ashes"
+ Cersei (surprisingly!)
+ Stannis/Davos convo

- Total butchery of Arya's character
- Useless Dany scene taking up time
- Jon is so dumb, like really dumb, for real
- Where the fuck is Ghost?
- Those fools stumbled on the arrowheads?

YES!!! THE BOOTS! Probably the only great scene in the entire episode. Lolz. :(

Sax_Man

Banned
The lack of budget in this series is beyond embarrassing. As far as I can tell, it's simply laziness. Why is it that a show like Stargate: Atlantis comes out in 2004 and has massive fucking battles and lasers and we haven't seen more than 2 minutes of a dragon this season?

There is being frugal, and then there's being stupid. Did HBO not think that this series would be successful or something? This wasn't even a CGI heavy season! How in the world are they going to even tell the story when the budget constrains the plot to the point of changing key events and characters?

Kind of odd this episode

It feels like there is plenty more for them to show this season, but they put nothing into this episode

Spoilers:

I mean are they really going to cram it all into the penultimate and finale? This episode could've at least shown some hints at what is to come, or gotten the ball rolling on one or two of the story lines, because it feels like they have a lot left to cover. Everyone is just dawdling around this episode waiting for it all to kick off the same time. Makes it feel a bit artificial. I don't see why we need to have the various storylines peaking at the same time

Could've easily had a glimpse at Mance's army, or gotten the action at the Fist of the First Men happening.

Could've done the House of the Undying.

Could've even had Stannis's ships show up on the horizon or something.

And yes, they are butchering Arya
I love what they did with Tywin though. But she should be killing

The lack of budget in this series is beyond embarrassing. As far as I can tell, it's simply laziness. Why is it that a show like Stargate: Atlantis comes out in 2004 and has massive fucking battles and lasers and we haven't seen more than 2 minutes of a dragon this season?

There is being frugal, and then there's being stupid. Did HBO not think that this series would be successful or something? This wasn't even a CGI heavy season! How in the world are they going to even tell the story when the budget constrains the plot to the point of changing key events and characters?

You just compared Stargate Atlantis to the production values of this show... Because of lasers? Are you joking

the episode is about 50 minutes long. They gave about a minute and a half to the Jeyne and Robb subplot near the beginning, then the sex scene (and its build up) between the two goes over 6 minutes. that's almost 15% of the episode being spent on Robb and Jeyne Westerling.

I understand what they're setting up here, but that's a long way off, unlike events that will happen imminently

The Stannis and Davos subplot got about 3 minutes and a minute and a half went to Dany and Mormont.

I dont like it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
the episode is about 50 minutes long. They gave about a minute and a half to the Jeyne and Robb subplot near the beginning, then the sex scene (and its build up) between the two goes over 6 minutes. that's almost 15% of the episode being spent on Robb and Jeyne Westerling.

I understand what they're setting up here, but that's a long way off, unlike events that will happen imminently

The Stannis and Davos subplot got about 3 minutes and a minute and a half went to Dany and Mormont.

I dont like it.

I didn't think this was a great episode, but I'm baffled at people not liking the Robb/Jeyne stuff. I thought it was incredibly well-done as well as providing emotional investment into the future which is necessary.

Roose Bolton's reactions and Oona Chaplin's body were great, but everything between that was snooze inducing. Not-Jeyne's sob story did nothing for me.

There's also the problem that their relationship makes no sense. Some random foreign nurse can walk into a King's tent and interrupt an important meeting for some small talk?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Roose Bolton's reactions and Oona Chaplin's body were great, but everything between that was snooze inducing. Not-Jeyne's sob story did nothing for me.

The story I could take or leave, especially since I still think her identity is largely false anyway. Interestingly enough though the non-readers seemed largely to enjoy her story and found it good insight into the world.

The two of them actually getting together I did think was good though. SERIES
I think it's just setting up the Red Wedding to be so much more horrible than it was in the books.

There's also the problem that their relationship makes no sense. Some random foreign nurse can walk into King's tent and interrupt an important meeting for some small talk?

I mean, she can do whatever she wants if the King is happy with it. Which he clearly is. There's no one else to tell her no. And that... (series)
Only further sets up Roose and Robb's other captains being displeased with him. He's acting like a teenager (which he is).

The story I could take or leave, especially since I still think her identity is largely false anyway. Interestingly enough though the non-readers seemed largely to enjoy her story and found it good insight into the world.

The two of them actually getting together I did think was good though. SERIES
I think it's just setting up the Red Wedding to be so much more horrible than it was in the books.
She might be a spy, but I doubt her story was made up, or that would be a completely pointless scene and some real sloppy writing. They aren't going to make her completely unsympathetic, so she's probably telling Robb the truth about her past.

I mean, she can do whatever she wants if the King is happy with it. Which he clearly is. There's no one else to tell her no. And that... (series)
Only further sets up Roose and Robb's other captains being displeased with him. He's acting like a teenager (which he is).
My problem is that it feels out of place and decidedly modern. A woman of her stature wouldn't be acting so casually with a king, certainly not in public in front of his lords.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
She might be a spy, but I doubt her story was made up, or that would be a completely pointless scene and some real sloppy writing. They aren't going to make her completely unsympathetic, so she's probably telling Robb the truth about her past.

ACOK
I'm still putting my money on her turning out to be Jeyne Lannister, based on her being called Jeyne by the production and her actress hinting about her real identity being surprising. But I do agree that would introduce a strange dynamic into the relationship that I dunno how I feel about. But there's no way to know at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom