• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

And since he's known him, all Jon has done was fail to execute a captive and then let her escape which got him lost and caused Quorin and his men to go after them which apparently got them all killed, well except the Halfhand who I guess got his ass kicked and surrendered.

The changes to Jon's storyline must be a result of not enough time and not enough money. There's no way they could have thought these changes were beneficial to the storyline or even good.

edit: and Ghost is a dick.

It doesn't matter if Qhorin has confidence in Jon or not. Qhorin knows he is going to die a horrible death to the wildlings, Ygritte confirmed it. Jon's weakness with Ygritte and parentage gives the bastard a shot at survival.

Unrelated, Oona. Oona Oona.

Kettch

Yeah... the fact that the Halfhand is supposed to be super badass is completely lost in the show.

Series
I've completely forgotten why I thought the Halfhand was badass now, other than his final scene. :( He's barely been a footnote in the show, so it definitely isn't jogging my memory any.

Rather somber episode, which makes sense. Calm before the storm, to put it lightly. I can't say I liked the Robb stuff, and a lot of the dialogue was rather clunky and heavy handed tonight. Especially that cheesy final scene. Overall it was a good episode, but one of the weaker ones this season.

Also as many predicted, Ros turned out to be the prostitute Cersei captured/had beaten. Yet that scene was so brief and anti-climatic that I can't help but laugh at the entire farce. This character has taken up considerable screen time for two seasons, only to build up to that? She looked like she had been slapped a couple times. Someone really needs to ask the writers what the point of all that was, because I can't possibly imagine anyone feeling any connection to that "character."

Rather somber episode, which makes sense. Calm before the storm, to put it lightly. I can't say I liked the Robb stuff, and a lot of the dialogue was rather clunky and heavy handed tonight. Especially that cheesy final scene. Overall it was a good episode, but one of the weaker ones this season.

Also as many predicted, Ros turned out to be the prostitute Cersei captured/had beaten. Yet that scene was so brief and anti-climatic that I can't help but laugh at the entire farce. This character has taken up considerable screen time for two seasons, only to build up to that? She looked like she had been slapped a couple times. Someone really needs to ask the writers what the point of all that was, because I can't possibly imagine anyone feeling any connection to that "character."

I think it would have worked a lot better (and made more sense) had they just said fuck it and made it Shae being held by Cersei.

bengraven

Speaking of that scene, I think this was Lena's favorite scene of the series so far. She's having far too much fucking fun saying those lines.

And my issue with this episode is similar to those of the last few. They're going to end up rushing through the more interesting parts of the books and drawing out the worst.

For fuck's sake, they could have just skipped Dany's scenes for this and the last episode - she knows where the dragons are, just fucking go there.

I think it would have worked a lot better (and made more seonse) had they just said fuck it and made it Shae being held by Cersei.

Nah, that twist was fun in the books and it was fun on the show too. I really liked that part of the book and here on screen. Not because it's a woman being smacked around, but because of how defiant she is and how Tyrion promises to take care of her while silently, with his eyes, showing his sorrow that she had to take it for him.

I only wish they had made a scene earlier where Shae and Ros met or kept the part about how he had to sneak out to be with her, because Ros doesn't have that loyalty that the other character in the book had.

jett

D-Member
Can someone tell me if the battle of Blackwater was set at nighttime in the book? I remember picturing it in broad daylight.

Zabka

Goddamn Oona Chaplin. Goddamn.

God damn Oona.

Just looking at you makes me want to break out in 80s love ballads.

Unrelated, Oona. Oona Oona.

jbrobjFmZj5syt.PNG

Can someone tell me if the battle of Blackwater was set at nighttime in the book? I remember picturing it in broad daylight.

I remember it in broad daylight too, at least that's how I always pictured it.

Nah, that twist was fun in the books and it was fun on the show too. I really liked that part of the book and here on screen. Not because it's a woman being smacked around, but because of how defiant she is and how Tyrion promises to take care of her while silently, with his eyes, showing his sorrow that she had to take it for him.

I only wish they had made a scene earlier where Shae and Ros met or kept the part about how he had to sneak out to be with her, because Ros doesn't have that loyalty that the other character in the book had.

It just would have been better and made sense if she'd interacted with Tyrion at all this season. Of all the moments that we've wasted with her, one of those should have been with Tyrion.

edit: and Ghost is a dick.

Seriously, where in the fuck is Ghost?

I'm not sure if it's just me but (Series)
it's really amazing how different the views of Theon are when comparing those who have read the books to those who haven't. For those who haven't, Theon is despicable and they can't wait for him to face punishment for his crimes, while I'm sure a lot of book readers watching the show just can't get mad at Theon because they know what horrors await him. I wonder if any book readers have actually been called out on that by people new to the show, ("What do you mean you don't hate Theon?!") and if that could spoil the fact that Theon's story takes a massive turn later on.

series spoilers
When I was reading ACOK, Theon was the biggest asshole you could imagine.

Also, I thought the score was great tonight. Several new pieces, and they were great.

ALSO, YES OONA IS INCREDIBLE. HOT DAMN!

It really feels like they're stalling stuff, especially with Dany. Her scene tonight felt like it was tacked on, and god does that wig look horrible at certain angles. Her dragons have been kidnapped, her khalasar has been murdered, she knows who did it...yet she's casually strolling around town like everything's good. It just doesn't make sense.

jett

D-Member
Ghost is off hunting. AMIRITE.

I'm not sure if it's just me but (Series)
it's really amazing how different the views of Theon are when comparing those who have read the books to those who haven't. For those who haven't, Theon is despicable and they can't wait for him to face punishment for his crimes, while I'm sure a lot of book readers watching the show just can't get mad at Theon because they know what horrors await him. I wonder if any book readers have actually been called out on that by people new to the show, ("What do you mean you don't hate Theon?!") and if that could spoil the fact that Theon's story takes a massive turn later on.

Wat. It's just you.

(series)
Theon is a vile piece of shit and he hasn't suffered close to enough in my opinion. ACOK actually paints a much worse image of him than the show, the show has humanized the cocksucker a lot. His chapters in ADWD are the best in the book but he is still subhuman garbage. People that sympathize with Theon in any way shape or form are people I don't want to know.

It really feels like they're stalling stuff, especially with Dany. Her scene tonight felt like it was tacked on, and god does that wig look horrible at certain angles. Her dragons have been kidnapped, her khalasar has been murdered, she knows who did it...yet she's casually strolling around town like everything's good. It just doesn't make sense.

And there's still the mystery of "who is the richest man in Qarth" to solve.

I'm too lazy to do a thorough search on daytime or nightime in the book, but I did find one line from a Davos chapter that seems to indicate day. He thinks about how he smuggled Melisandre in the dark of the night to do her nasty thing and then thinks, "At least we fight this battle in the light, with the weapons of honest men."

As much as I like the Tywin and Arya scenes, they really changed her storyline. ACOK
Hopefully she kills someone by the end of the season. I really want to see her drop the coin and gank someone.

No Weasel Soup.

I also thought they would do the bath house scene where she sneaks up on Jaqen. Considering the set would be used next season probably, I thought it would be in.
:(

bengraven

I'm too lazy to do a thorough search on daytime or nightime in the book, but I did find one line from a Davos chapter that seems to indicate day. He thinks about how he smuggled Melisandre in the dark of the night to do her nasty thing and then thinks, "At least we fight this battle in the light, with the weapons of honest men."

I always pictured it at night I think. Or at least it turns to night soon enough? Not sure.

Well, since I always pictured it in the dark, then at least *I* won't be upset. ;)

Lothar

Banned
All from the same battle chapter.

"At least we fight this battle in the light, with the weapons of honest men, he told himself."

"Shading his eyes against the westering sun, he peered at those towers more closely. They were too small to hold much of a garrison."

"Something flashed down low where the dark water swirled around the base of the tower. It was sunlight on steel, and it told Davos Seaworth all he needed to know.
A chain boom . . .
and yet they have not closed the river against us. Why?"

"Between the flashing oars of Sceptre and Faithful, Davos saw a thin line of galleys drawn across the river, the sun glinting off the gold paint that marked their hulls."

"High on Visenya’s Hill, sunlight blazed off the seven crystal towers of the Great Sept of Baelor"

WTF? How could any of you have pictured the battle at night? (Or at least not remembered the day time part of it.)

jett

D-Member
All from the same battle chapter.

"At least we fight this battle in the light, with the weapons of honest men, he told himself."

"Shading his eyes against the westering sun, he peered at those towers more closely. They were too small to hold much of a garrison."

"Something flashed down low where the dark water swirled around the base of the tower. It was sunlight on steel, and it told Davos Seaworth all he needed to know.
A chain boom . . .
and yet they have not closed the river against us. Why?"

"Between the flashing oars of Sceptre and Faithful, Davos saw a thin line of galleys drawn across the river, the sun glinting off the gold paint that marked their hulls."

"High on Visenya’s Hill, sunlight blazed off the seven crystal towers of the Great Sept of Baelor"

WTF? How could any of you have pictured the battle at night?

I knew I wasn't crazy. Turns out the rest of you are though, sux to be you.

As much as I like the Tywin and Arya scenes, they really changed her storyline. ACOK
Hopefully she kills someone by the end of the season. I really want to see her drop the coin and gank someone.

No Weasel Soup.

I also thought they would do the bath house scene where she sneaks up on Jaqen. Considering the set would be used next season probably, I thought it would be in.
:(

ACOK
Arya gutting the guard was something I definitely wanted in the show. Hopefully they find a way to add it in but I don't see how. Hot Pie's shock and Arya's cold indifference were awesome.

edit: and yeah, it'll look better at night for the show. the seams won't be so obvious.

Chris R

I knew I wasn't crazy. Turns out the rest of you are though, sux to be you.

Sounds like Twilight/Dusk to me, so everyone can win! It was partly daytime and partly night time!

I was almost sure that (BOOK SPOILERS)
the battle continued into the night, because I don't think that the wildfire would make that big of an impression on the Hound in the middle of the day. Ultra bright flames against a pitch black night would be scary as shit though for someone who doesn't like flames

bengraven

"Hey, where's the direwolves and why does the King in the North only have two guards on horse behind him and two horses for him and his lady? Where's all his bodyguards?"

"What, didn't you see the preview for next episode? They're going to need all the money they can get."

"Good point...by the way, it's been a while since someone mentioned Oona..."

Sounds like Twilight/Dusk to me, so everyone can win! It was partly daytime and partly night time!

I was almost sure that (BOOK SPOILERS)
the battle continued into the night, because I don't think that the wildfire would make that big of an impression on the Hound in the middle of the day. Ultra bright flames against a pitch black night would be scary as shit though for someone who doesn't like flames

I think you're right and that's why I always pictured it mostly at night.

The Lord of Bones looked a lot more badass than I imagined him in my head, for some reason the outfit sounded super cheesy the way Martin described it.

Agree with the sentiment that Dany's scene was a waste of time. Between the "previously" intro and her 5 minutes segment, they must have said "House of the Undying" 20 times without ever actually going there, smh.

Rob's gf is infinitely more interesting than she is in the books. Definitely the hottest woman on the program.

Tyrion's war strategy has been completely ignored. They went through the trouble of introducing wildfire in a previous episode, why not talk about the
3 whores and the chain
? Afraid the audience is too clever?

Jamie & Brienne is one of the best parts of the entire series, so I'm glad they got to it early (fuck Cleos Frey, seriously). They really nailed Jaime's obnoxious banter. Although, [SoS]
I think they're going to change up the source of Jamie's injury. The Goat has not been seen at all, so the Brave Companions seem unlikely. I'm willing to bet that they make the Boltons responsible. It will work with the theme of the season much better. I'm also disappointed they completely omitted (last episode) the story of Brandon and Lord Rickon Stark that Jaime told to Catelyn. It really brings Jaime's beef with Ned in season 1 full circle.

Ros has become a Scrappy at this point, no one likes her and she keeps getting screen time thrown into the most random story arcs.

Looking forward to seeing how they do the Blackwater justice. I'm hoping for the Omaha beach scene from Saving Private Ryan, but I'd settle for the Trojan beach scene from Troy.

bengraven

Oh yeah, speaking of which, they took skinny and raspy Rattlebones and made him a big chubby guy with a walking stick.

But he's already MUCH better than the book character.

The Lord of Bones looked a lot more badass than I imagined him in my head, for some reason the outfit sounded super cheesy the way Martin described it.

Agree with the sentiment that Dany's scene was a waste of time. Between the "previously" intro and her 5 minutes segment, they must have said "House of the Undying" 20 times without ever actually going there, smh.

Rob's gf is infinitely more interesting than she is in the books. Definitely the hottest woman on the program.

Tyrion's war strategy has been completely ignored. They went through the trouble of introducing wildfire in a previous episode, why not talk about the 3 whores and the chain? Afraid the audience is too clever?

Jamie & Brienne is one of the best parts of the entire series, so I'm glad they got to it early (fuck Cleos Frey, seriously). They really nailed Jaime's obnoxious banter. Although, [SoS]
I think they're going to change up the source of Jamie's injury. The Goat has not been seen at all, so the Brave Companions seem unlikely. I'm willing to bet that they make the Boltons responsible. It will work with the theme of the season much better. I'm also disappointed they completely omitted (last episode) the story of Brandon and Lord Rickon Stark that Jaime told to Catelyn. It really brings Jaime's beef with Ned in season 1 full circle.

Ros has become a Scrappy at this point, no one likes her and she keeps getting screen time thrown into the most random story arcs.

Looking forward to seeing how they do the Blackwater justice. I'm hoping for the Omaha beach scene from Saving Private Ryan, but I'd settle for the Trojan beach scene from Troy.

That scene is actually pretty awesome on the director's cut. Heads get obliterated by hammers!

Lumiere

Neo Member
Other content:
- EW.com with "Behind Next Week's Episode" (Interview with D&D, *spoilers*)
From the interview: [ACOK/episode 9 spoilers]
And he had to come up with something very big and very loud, which would be a spoiler to explain but book readers will understand. I know there has been some debate about the chain being or not being visible in that promo picture, and the lack of buildup in this episode made me think it wouldn't be there... but I don't know what else they could be referring to in this quote, if not the chain.

HBO is really hyping this battle scene. Looks wild though, I can't wait to see what happens.
I'm a little bummed that it's ending up airing on Memorial Day weekend. I know everyone is going to see it eventually, but it's too bad that the audience will be fragmented because of the holiday. It's more fun having a ton of people watching such a big episode simultaneously. Oh well, not a huge concern, just something that crossed my mind.
Oh yeah, speaking of which, they took skinny and raspy Rattlebones and made him a big chubby guy with a walking stick.

But he's already MUCH better than the book character.
Yeah, it worked for me. I think that's the last new character we get this season unless I'm forgetting someone.

njean777

Tyrion's war strategy has been completely ignored. They went through the trouble of introducing wildfire in a previous episode, why not talk about the
3 whores and the chain
? Afraid the audience is too clever?

Can you tell me the story of Bran and Rickon? I just finished SOS and don't remember him telling any story about them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom