• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

endre

I assumed he never made it or ese their position wasn't really weakened at all.

At first I assumed the same. But it looks like they are coming home when the news about the kingslayer is delivered to Robb. As a matter of a fact, for true nitpicking, their walking pace really bothered me... LoL

JGS

Banned
At first I assumed the same. But it looks like they are coming home when the news about the kingslayer is delivered to Robb. As a matter of a fact, for true nitpicking their walking pace really bothered me... LoL
That's true. i just thought the surrender was pretty much a done deal and there was no rush since they were in a holding pattern with Winterfell. Plus a slow pace let him talk to his lady (That ain't going to end well).

Yeah that really annoyed me. Is that how it happened in the book?

In any case, she (Cat) had a really great moment in the book with Jaime that I'm sad they left out.
no.

But her interaction with Jaime was covered in episode 7. shit, some of the dialogue from the part I think you're talking about was used in her confrontation with Jaime in season 1.
I'm kind of surprised how much dialogue they lift from the book, verbatim. Martin's dialogue is just that good, i guess.

AngryMoth

Larry Williams seems pretty unhappy with this season.
Ok, I've always felt a little hesitant in my criticism of the show because my opinions may be tainted having already experienced the story, since most non-book readers still love it, but this gives me a lot of validation.

I feel like the problems with pacing he outlines are mostly a due to the source material being unadaptable (in a concrete sense), but also there's a lot more they could have done to compensate for this.

First of all, whilst being longer, Clash is far less event-dense than AGoT, and the big events I personally feel have far less impact (except for
Blackwater and house of the undying
obviously). And then you have the problem of it being far more scattershot which is why the episodes jump around so much. Larry complained about the lack of overall story, and the problem is that after AGoT there really isn't an overall story; its more a collection many different stories which most of the time are only loosely related to one another.

Now disclaimer, AGoT is the only book I didn't read first so I don't feel 100% confident saying this, but that book really does feel like there is a main overall story, and certainly season 1 does feel that way. The Lansister conspiracy brings a base amount of tension to each episode; seeing Ned slowing unravelling the web and knowing that shit is going to hit the fan when he finds out really is a huge narrative driving force and its what kept me coming back every week with such anticipation. If Clash has anything comparable to this, its Blackwater, and this is where I feel the show really missed a trick. They should have focused far more heavily on the build up to this battle, on Tyrion and Stannis' preparations. They really haven't communicated well enough that there's a huge battle right around the corner; there's been very little sense of foreboding with regard to it. If they had made it the driving force of this season I feel like maybe it could have saved the pacing. If season 1 was the Starks vs the Lansiters season 2 should have been the Lanisters vs the Baratheons.

Despite these criticisms I'm actually not as down on the show as some of you. While I don't think its excelling this as a tv show I think its still succeeding as an adaptation and thats why I enjoyed the most recent episode. Plus these last 2 should be great.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I loved the visual imagery of her being situated in a (ACOK)
deserted city (eerie as fuck, could feel the atmosphere jumping out at you from the pages), then making her way to Qarth, which seemed so strange and exotic. the part where she names the dragons after Rhaegar, Viserys and Drogo is epic, I loved the larger theme of her identifying more and more with her Targaryan ancestors.
Bran's chapters bored me until Theon came, though I liked some of his interactions with Maester Luwin and the part where he remembers Jaime Lannister throwing him off the cliff.
I guess the beginning of her ACoK story was just too big of a let down from the high it ended on in AGoT for me to really enjoy it.

I always wanted to ask this... Why is this guy's opinion relevant?
The only reason I started watching his reviews and caring about what he had to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owf6D2vfZqM

bengraven

It's the boots you guys were staring it?

I posted this hours later:

More importantly, I just realized that Oona never took those knee-high boots off.

iVRjjS9I2tpu4.gif

So no, I only noticed the boots later.

Game of Thrones felt like each page was written for a HBO show

The later books less and less, and they will need more craftful adaptation as the series continues. That's personally why I'm not angered by changes. Changes do need to be made

I do worry (massive whole series spoilers)
people are going to lose interest in watching the series eventually, as major characters continue to die off and we lose characters to root for. Personally I feel like that right now as a book reader. I've got absolutely nobody I'm rooting for in the Seven Kingdoms, and based on the actors at the moment we are going to be left with some of the weaker performers eventually

Furoba

I really liked the pacing on this week's episode. Many might disagree, but I think it was one of the best episodes of season 2. Excellent way to pave the way for the finale.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ok, I've always felt a little hesitant in my criticism of the show because my opinions may be tainted having already experienced the story, since most non-book readers still love it, but this gives me a lot of validation.

I feel like the problems with pacing he outlines are mostly a due to the source material being unadaptable (in a concrete sense), but also there's a lot more they could have done to compensate for this.

First of all, whilst being longer, Clash is far less event-dense than AGoT, and the big events I personally feel have far less impact (except for
Blackwater and house of the undying
obviously). And then you have the problem of it being far more scattershot which is why the episodes jump around so much. Larry complained about the lack of overall story, and the problem is that after AGoT there really isn't an overall story; its more a collection many different stories which most of the time are only loosely related to one another.

Now disclaimer, AGoT is the only book I didn't read first so I don't feel 100% confident saying this, but that book really does feel like there is a main overall story, and certainly season 1 does feel that way. The Lansister conspiracy brings a base amount of tension to each episode; seeing Ned slowing unravelling the web and knowing that shit is going to hit the fan when he finds out really is a huge narrative driving force and its what kept me coming back every week with such anticipation. If Clash has anything comparable to this, its Blackwater, and this is where I feel the show really missed a trick. They should have focused far more heavily on the build up to this battle, on Tyrion and Stannis' preparations. They really haven't communicated well enough that there's a huge battle right around the corner; there's been very little sense of foreboding with regard to it. If they had made it the driving force of this season I feel like maybe it could have saved the pacing. If season 1 was the Starks vs the Lansiters season 2 should have been the Lanisters vs the Baratheons.

Despite these criticisms I'm actually not as down on the show as some of you. While I don't think its excelling this as a tv show I think its still succeeding as an adaptation and thats why I enjoyed the most recent episode. Plus these last 2 should be great.
I think the biggest problem here is that Stannis is like, "imma siege king's landing" and then he doesn't do anything for like 5 episodes because they have to cover a ton of other shit. I don't necessarily blame the showrunners for it because it's kind of how the book was laid out; some things just don't work as well in adaptation.

Game of Thrones felt like each page was written for a HBO show

The later books less and less, and they will need more craftful adaptation as the series continues. That's personally why I'm not angered by changes. Changes do need to be made

I do worry (massive whole series spoilers)
people are going to lose interest in watching the series eventually, as major characters continue to die off and we lose characters to root for. Personally I feel like that right now as a book reader. I've got absolutely nobody I'm rooting for in the Seven Kingdoms, and based on the actors at the moment we are going to be left with some of the weaker performers eventually

Obv huge series spoilers
You might be underestimating Jaime's anti-hero turn in the season(s) to come and his likeability when put next to psycho AFFC Cersei. I imagine his popularity with non-book readers to be something like Eric from True Blood, the bad guy that's not totally bad. (FWIW, Jamie is my current favorite character in the books). Plus, as long as you have Tyrion around, they execute Ramsay/Reek well and you have badass of all badasses Wyman Manderly, I think the show will continue to be compelling.

gdt

Solid enough episode.

Some changes I'm not all that happy about. Dunno why they had to change Jon's story, it was more desparate in the book.

I'm really irked by the change in Arya's story. WTF was that? Arya is a goddamn wolf. ONE DOES NOT JUST WALK OUT OF HARRENHALL.

Solid enough episode.

Some changes I'm not all that happy about. Dunno why they had to change Jon's story, it was more desparate in the book.

I'm really irked by the change in Arya's story. WTF was that? Arya is a goddamn wolf. ONE DOES NOT JUST WALK OUT OF HARRENHALL.

Insert Boromir Meme

I just started season 1 and I could not stop watching it. Before I knew it...the time was already 4:00am and I was debating on starting episode 6 or getting a power nap before work. My original intention was to just watch an episode or two to see if I liked it and with the way the episodes ended I couldn't leave at that.
I look forward to watching season 2 once I catch up with you guys!

KingGondo

Banned
I'm enjoying this season overall, but I was really turned off by the showrunners' ineptitude at pulling off Bran and Rickon's fake deaths.

It was shocking and thoroughly convincing in the book, and I don't know anyone who was fooled by the show.

I think the next two episodes will be excellent.
Battle of the Blackwater, Jon finally doing something of consequence (Halfhand), and the House of the Undying.

I stand by my earlier assessment that this season would have really benefitted from 2 extra episodes.

Zabka

I'm enjoying this season overall, but I was really turned off by the showrunners' ineptitude at pulling off Bran and Rickon's fake deaths.

It was shocking and thoroughly convincing in the book, and I don't know anyone who was fooled by the show.

I think the next two episodes will be excellent.
Battle of the Blackwater, Jon finally doing something of consequence (Halfhand), and the House of the Undying.

I stand by my earlier assessment that this season would have really benefitted from 2 extra episodes.

You make it sound like it wasn't intentionally ambiguous.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I doubt it,
Dany didn't lose hers during the Dragon birthing.

Yeah, but (Series)
hers was a bit more drastic. Dany would have had to wear a bald cap. They can easily get away with Brienne just cutting Jaimes hair short enough for him to not be recognizable. Although, if they were going to do it they would have probably done it by now.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I don't get why they did that. I could've understood if they had to do it cause they moved Jamie's escape before Bran and Rickon's "deaths", but given the timing in which these events happened they could've easily squeezed a scene with them finding out about Bran and Rickon somehow before this episode. This way makes both Catelyn and Robb look worse.

This.

It's one thing to CUT things for the sake of time/money.

It's another thing to make things significantly worse for zero reason.

CassSept

Eh, I felt this episode was better than the last but still, ACOK is one of the slowest books in the series, even without all these pointless added scenes. Hopefully the viewership won't drop next season so we can get our glorious Season 4.
Sounds like Twilight/Dusk to me, so everyone can win! It was partly daytime and partly night time!

I was almost sure that (BOOK SPOILERS)
the battle continued into the night, because I don't think that the wildfire would make that big of an impression on the Hound in the middle of the day. Ultra bright flames against a pitch black night would be scary as shit though for someone who doesn't like flames

[ACOK]
Yeah, that's exactly why I never took problem with Blackwater being in the night, because due to Sandor scenes I remembered them starting as late as dusk. I guess they did happen during the day and all down into the night, but it all taking place during the night should make for some spectacular TV. We will see next week.

I only made it about 1/4 of the way through this book before stopping. The first book/season had built up to such an amazing satisfying conclusion that left me wanting more. I wanted to see how all of these threads were going to come together; the dudes past the wall, the dragons coming back, the war starting, etc.

But all that pacing just seemed to die the instant the second book/season started. I understand that you need to start off slow in order to build up, but I think it went a little overboard. I felt the pacing of the first season and book was perfect, but this one feels glacial.

After this season is over I'll probably start up the 3rd book, but I don't see myself ever going back to the second one.

tino

Banned
God Yara is such a fucking redneck. She just need a can of budwiser to make me hate this character now.

Asha was cool. Asha was my favorite female character. :(

jett

D-Member
God Yara is such a fucking redneck. She just need a can of budwiser to make me hate this character now.

Asha was cool. Asha was my favorite female character. :(

Asha is awesome. A toast to Asha!

I will never understand why they made Yara such a grim character. Proper Asha could've added a bit more color to the show, god knows it needs some.

WiC brings up something that I couldn't help but think last night about the Robb stuff. Him breaking down and having sex with "Talisa" felt so rushed and anti-climatic, it really should have been in a later episode. He simply throws his honor out the window the minute she enters the tent, and it just didn't feel authentic. Why not have them kiss a bit, then Robb stops and walks out. Obviously we don't see exactly how things went down in the book, but it was under very different circumstances, which make it seem more logical.

There seems to be a pattern of these types of "just there because" scenes that sort of leap logic in order for the writers to get from A to B asap. Like Arya running from a general in a Lannister camp (and no one intervening), or Osha casually sneaking back into Winterfell in daylight and only being seen by Luwin. Come on.

scosher

This episode was pretty shit, and I've defended most of the changes in the past. The pacing of this season is so uneven that it seems like the showrunners' only goal was to have every character arc climax at the same time. It should make for a thrilling penultimate ep and finale, but I don't like the way it was handled. This episode was a drag.

Ironically though, I didn't mind the added Robb/Jeyne scene. Sure it was a tad bit long, but it was the first scene that humanized "Talisa," whereas before, non-readers kept pegging her as a spy not to be trusted. Plus, she hands down wins the best nude scene so far in the series (agree with PhoenixDark though that her entrance into the tent was so arbitrary and logically inconsistent).

What really detracted from this episode were the scenes already in the book. Jon/Qhorin's relationship is now officially butchered (ACOK)
and the impact of Jon's actions in the next episode will be mitigated.

Why even bother showing Dany if her story didn't even progress this episode? Why would Jaime not even attempt an escape with Brienne his only captor, when he worked with less when dealing with his cousin? I thought for sure he would try and rock the boat to knock her off in all her armor. And why would Arya finally decide to name Tywin at the last minute -- only when it's now conveniently too late and Ja'qen is conveniently away on patrol?

I don't mind when the show diverges from the books, but if/when they do, I expect some logical consistency in the characters' actions/motivations, etc.

Regarding the Brotherhood:
I feel they're going to be introduced this season, possibly in the finale. Way too many references to it to not book-end the season with them. I also wonder, since they're moving up Jaime's storyline from ASOS, if he'll actually end up getting caught by the Brotherhood and merge some of his arc with Arya's. They could also have the Brotherhood be the ones who cut off his fighting hand. Would obviously be very divergent from the books, but I think it'd be an interesting dynamic, and would be a way to condense more storylines for S3.

What the fuck was so wrong with (COK)
Robb getting hit with an arrow, Jeyne nursing him back to health and it turning into a fuckfest?
Instead we get yet another exposition scene where a character tells a boring story that adds nothing to the show.

One other thing that bugs me that I must have missed: Robb went to the Crag to negotiate a peace, I suppose the talks fell through?

They seem to want to avoid the fact that Robb is actually fighting a war this season for some reason. They went to the Crag to accept a surrender, I think that first scene in the woods was them on their way back to Robb's camp from the Crag.

I know they have to pick and choose what to tackle with this shows with so many characters and events going on, but I'm really disappointed that they avoided Robb's war this season, and his tactical genius, which they really played up well in season 1.

Couldn't agree more. Are non-book readers really connecting with Robb?

The non-book readers I watch the show and discuss it with really like Robb, mostly based on his late season 1 actions though I think.

I'm actually worried how they're going to introduce certain characters. ACOK/ASOS
Edmure is suppose to play a pretty big role and there hasn't been any mention of the Tully family this season. It'll be weird for him to just suddenly show up.

ACOK/ASOS
Well they are having Tywin march after Robb, so he has to get held up by Tully forces in the riverlands next episode. I'm sure they'll just mentioned that it happened, and just like the book, Robb will make for Riverrun at the end of this season/beginning of next and Edmure will be introduced (and his foolish actions will be explained).

Something about Jon and Ghost (series spoilers)
So I assume that Jon won't see Ghost until he shows up near the wall near the end of ASOS now. Of all the odd choices of Jon's story, I think Ghost basically abandoning him was the stupidest one.

bengraven

My three favorite parts of the last episode.
her face, ass, and boots

Also, from Access Hollywood:

Access: Did you, Richard, when you were doing these scenes… go home at all and dream about them?

Richard: No joke, yes. Two strange things happen — I do wake up with dreams of stuff… dreams of the scenes that you’re going to do and dreams of the scenes you’ve done and variations of them. But… one of the weirdest things, I think, sometimes, and I’m not ‘method’ in any way, that’s not my style of acting or whatever, but it’s when I kind of wake up in the morning and I’m kind of thinking thoughts, but I’m thinking them in Robb Stark’s accent (laughs). That’s weird. I’m like, ‘What’s that voice in my head? Why is it not like my Scottish accent?’ And [those are] the kind of strangest things where they kind of filter in where you’re in a place so much — you’re on set all the time and then, at night time, we’ll go to the bar and it’s me and Michelle and we’re talking about the work we’re doing in the day and then the work we’re doing the next day, or I’m having a drink with one of the directors and we’re planning out what’s going on the next day. So, it doesn’t leave you while you’re working and yeah, it filters into all these strange aspects of your life.

Access: Richard, we're talking about seeing Oona's body in your dreams.

Richard: Michelle was such a consumate profession that I...

Access: Never fucking mind.

Kammie

Finished the episode. All in all it wasn't AS bad as I was expecting from all the comments here, but it was still pretty much a piece of crap. The main problem is that Benioff and Weiss are hacks who couldn't come up with shittier scripts if you paid them to. And then, while Alan Taylor is the most competent director of the season, he drops the ball in presenting such a laid-back episode when this is all lead-up to the big battle. Look at the scene where Tyrion and Varys are speaking on the ramparts, and how calm all the extras are. Would it be too much for the director to maybe ask them to scramble a little, given that their lives are all depending on these preparations? The whole thing feels like they're just getting ready for a wedding reception that will take place in three months.

These were just not the right people to make this adaptation.

KingGondo

Banned
WiC brings up something that I couldn't help but think last night about the Robb stuff. Him breaking down and having sex with "Talisa" felt so rushed and anti-climatic, it really should have been in a later episode. He simply throws his honor out the window the minute she enters the tent, and it just didn't feel authentic. Why not have them kiss a bit, then Robb stops and walks out. Obviously we don't see exactly how things went down in the book, but it was under very different circumstances, which make it seem more logical.
Agreed. It makes even more sense considering she's a nurse--why not have Robb get an injury in battle and develop their romance that way (which is similar to the books, correct?)?

Agreed. It makes even more sense considering she's a nurse--why not have Robb get an injury in battle and develop their romance that way (which is similar to the books, correct?)?

Yes, in ACOK
Robb takes an arrow while storming The Crag, and she nurses him back to health.

There seems to be a pattern of these types of "just there because" scenes that sort of leap logic in order for the writers to get from A to B asap. Like Arya running from a general in a Lannister camp (and no one intervening), or Osha casually sneaking back into Winterfell in daylight and only being seen by Luwin. Come on.

when has this show not leapt at the opportunity to show some skin? I swear there's more tits, ass and fucking in GoT than there is in Deadwood.
I feel what they're missing in battle scenes they are trying to make up for with racy sex and nudity.

Benioff: First of all, we almost had no battle at all. For budgetary reasons we came very, very close to having all the action take place off-screen, the way plays have handled battle scenes for a few thousand years.

Given how good Lena and Sophie are, we could probably have made a decent episode, but we didn’t want to do it that way. Last year we had to cut a battle we wanted to shoot, and the Battle of Blackwater Bay is far more important.
To our minds, the entire season builds to this clash, and if we didn’t see any of it, we were undercutting the story and short-changing the audience.
As we’ve mentioned before, we went pleading to HBO for more money. We made our case why we needed the battle and they obliged. That allowed us to do a battle. It did not allow us to do the battle from A Clash of Kings. It would be difficult for a $200 million feature to do justice to the battle from the book. We didn’t have a chance; there just wasn’t enough time on the schedule or money in the budget (even after our Blackwater bonus).

Majmun

So many negative comments!!!

I absolutely love it so far. Sure, it doesn't come near the source material. But I still have fun watching the show. There are a lot of changes, and the show is slow at times. But each line and frame interests me still!

The next two eps are going to be nuuuuutsss

Only two more eps to go. ;_;

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So many negative comments!!!

I absolutely love it so far. Sure, it doesn't come near the source material. But I still have fun watching the show. There are a lot of changes, and the show is slow at times. But each line interests me!

The next two eps are going to be nuuuuutsss

Only two more eps to go. ;_;
The difference between the "no spoilers" thread and this one is astounding. I know a lot of people that don't read and they just love it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
when has this show not leapt at the opportunity to show some skin? I swear there's more tits, ass and fucking in GoT than there is in Deadwood.
I feel what they're missing in battle scenes they are trying to make up for with racy sex and nudity.

Deadwood didn't have that much nudity outside of a blurry background whore here and there.

Speevy

Banned
I accidentally got spoiled (majorly) while reading some stuff last night, so I just said screw it and kept reading. :(

Anyway, I do have a comment pertaining to the series that someone brought up above.

Series

I've seen shows about essentially greedy, villainous men fighting it out. I've also seen shows in which essentially decent characters meet a bad end. However, I've never seen a show in which all the characters who have any kind of morality or capacity to make a difference are snuffed out. What I accidentally read was about this 'red wedding' business and that would make for one downer of an episode.

KingGondo

Banned
The difference between the "no spoilers" thread and this one is astounding. I know a lot of people that don't read and they just love it.
I love the show too, with some reservations. It's just impossible for anyone who has read the spectacular books to not wish that everything about the show could live up to the source material.

endre

(agree with PhoenixDark though that her entrance into the tent was so arbitrary and logically inconsistent).

Yeah it did feel rushed, I almost skipped over. Then again two horny teens? It's plausible.

Jon/Qhorin's relationship is now officially butchered

I agree.

Why even bother showing Dany if her story didn't even progress this episode?

For example contract issues and the hype covering Emilia Clarke.

Why would Jaime not even attempt an escape with Brienne his only captor, when he worked with less when dealing with his cousin? I thought for sure he would try and rock the boat to knock her off in all her armor.

And then people would complain about the lack of verbal interactions between them.

For me its a much bigger issue that the Brienne actress often feels and looks very clumsy in the armor. Her walk in the introductory episode. Her entering the boat in the last episode etc.
She should have practiced (more) in front of a mirror and with a "tutor".

And why would Arya finally decide to name Tywin at the last minute -- only when it's now conveniently too late and Ja'qen is conveniently away on patrol?

Tywin did provide safety for her and her friends. But he was still plotting against his brother and family. And he is clearly the mastermind. When she heard he was going to go away she had nothing to lose but all to gain by his death.

I would be more disappointed if the last kill were Tywin and/or not naming Jaqen as last. Yes it was convenient that he was already on the horse, but for me that was not a problem.

Regarding the Brotherhood:
I feel they're going to be introduced this season, possibly in the finale. Way too many references to it to not book-end the season with them. I also wonder, since they're moving up Jaime's storyline from ASOS, if he'll actually end up getting caught by the Brotherhood and merge some of his arc with Arya's. They could also have the Brotherhood be the ones who cut off his fighting hand. Would obviously be very divergent from the books, but I think it'd be an interesting dynamic, and would be a way to condense more storylines for S3.

^I hope so.
Fingers crossed for Vargo.

EDIT: Next book will be covered in two seasons so i guess they will be able to adopt a much suitable approach. Story, time and character wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom