• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACOK
I'm still putting my money on her turning out to be Jeyne Lannister, based on her being called Jeyne by the production and her actress hinting about her real identity being surprising. But I do agree that would introduce a strange dynamic into the relationship that I dunno how I feel about. But there's no way to know at this point.
A westerosi lady acting a spy by pretending to be a foreign nurse? That would be awful and completely at odds with the setting. I really hope they don't go that direction. And that's really my problem with their relationship, it doesn't feel like something that belongs in Westeros or this setting. Even the presence of a commanding female field surgeon is a bit odd, she'd be likely to get raped and abused if this were the book world.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Marathoned a bunch of episodes over the last two days, caught up to episode six. Disclaimer: I haven't read the books, so I'm not coming from the position of someone with expectations.

As a whole I'm enjoying the season, much for the same reasons as the first. The acting is mostly great, dialogue is well written, and the hook of the series (political mumbo jumbo) is still great. I like most of the newly introduced characters and feel they fit into the overarching plot well.

But god damn is this serious slow. I'm not finding it boring, much due to the above, which is good, but reflecting on what actually happens versus the first season...there's been minimal true developments. Only a couple of big, significant things have happened, otherwise the series seems to be meandering around characters and where they're at. Lots of little developments, but nothing major.

I'm also getting tired of the "THIS NEEDS A NEW LOVE INTEREST SO WE CAN GET A FRESH PAIR OF TITS ON SCREEN". It makes for boring television, and is incredible transparent. I wish more screen time was dedicated to the more interesting new characters. The new ladies can be interesting, but their introduction always plays out the exact same way. It's borderlining on satire at this point.

Also, as with the last season, I can't help but shake the feeling the Targaryen has been heavily stripped down. I don't know how it plays out in the book, but it's easily the most disconnected story in Game of Thrones. Spreading screen time across multiple houses and people works fine in the seven kingdoms as they're all interacting. Events happening with one house will add substance to another. The Targaryen plot is completely isolated, and can only stand up on it's own content, which really isn't much. I don't mind what they've done with it, there's just not enough of it. It's forgettable.

funk0ar

regarding H'gar
They should have shown him changing his face and giving Arya the coin, that seems really important to her whole story line...
or has this just not happened yet?

I didn't think this was a great episode, but I'm baffled at people not liking the Robb/Jeyne stuff. I thought it was incredibly well-done as well as providing emotional investment into the future which is necessary.
I thought it was very clinical and a continuation of the show's tendency to milk everything it can out of the sex and romantic subplots.

Marathoned a bunch of episodes over the last two days, caught up to episode six. Disclaimer: I haven't read the books, so I'm not coming from the position of someone with expectations.

As a whole I'm enjoying the season, much for the same reasons as the first. The acting is mostly great, dialogue is well written, and the hook of the series (political mumbo jumbo) is still great. I like most of the newly introduced characters and feel they fit into the overarching plot well.

But god damn is this serious slow. I'm not finding it boring, much due to the above, which is good, but reflecting on what actually happens versus the first season...there's been minimal true developments. Only a couple of big, significant things have happened, otherwise the series seems to be meandering around characters and where they're at. Lots of little developments, but nothing major.

I'm also getting tired of the "THIS NEEDS A NEW LOVE INTEREST SO WE CAN GET A FRESH PAIR OF TITS ON SCREEN". It makes for boring television, and is incredible transparent. I wish more screen time was dedicated to the more interesting new characters. The new ladies can be interesting, but their introduction always plays out the exact same way. It's borderlining on satire at this point.

Also, as with the last season, I can't help but shake the feeling the Targaryen has been heavily stripped down. I don't know how it plays out in the book, but it's easily the most disconnected story in Game of Thrones. Spreading screen time across multiple houses and people works fine in the seven kingdoms as they're all interacting. Events happening with one house will add substance to another. The Targaryen plot is completely isolated, and can only stand up on it's own content, which really isn't much. I don't mind what they've done with it, there's just not enough of it. It's forgettable.
I'm glad a non-reader feels this way.

Great episode once more, especially the ending. Still amused at the usual hateful responses from the fans angry about the changes. Feels good to come into the show clean, with no expectations, makes it extremely enjoyable as it should be.

Fanboys.............

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
regarding H'gar
They should have shown him changing his face and giving Arya the coin, that seems really important to her whole story line...

Not yet, in the season finale.

A westerosi lady acting a spy by pretending to be a foreign nurse? That would be awful and completely at odds with the setting. I really hope they don't go that direction. And that's really my problem with their relationship, it doesn't feel like something that belongs in Westeros or this setting. Even the presence of a commanding female field surgeon is a bit odd, she'd be likely to get raped and abused if this were the book world.

I don't think she's a spy, I just think that's who she is. It's just a simplification of her identity in the books. But I agree with you about her presence in general.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Nope, exactly like how it plays out in the book. Sadly enough, they actually gave her more to do in the show than she had in Clash.

Though a lot seem to like him. I really don't care for Tyrion at all. Its the actor or material they gave him, but it always comes off as fake with him for some reason. Which is funny because Jamie was acting(Sounding too) exactly like him when he started in on Brienne.

Anyways, Jon's bits continue to suck. Dany's bits continue to suck. And its too hard for them to keep juggling the characters around. I loved Theon's bits once again. The actor sells it and they have good cohesion. I liked Stannis part because it does give insight to both him and Davos at the same time. And I still like Robb's non-Jeyne scenes. But I think this was the third time you had him and Bolton discussing something, to be interrupted by Jeyne popping in. I actually like the added relationship. It makes sense for ASOS
For future events, instead of just being backstory for such an important event
. But they didn't need to dedicate that much time towards it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Yeah I can appreciate this. The second book is definitely slower all around so it makes sense. The next two seasons should be balls to the wall though.

And as someone pointed out, they haven't reduced Dany's role surprisingly. This is actually more interesting than what she had in the book sadly.

endre

Considering all the hype blockbusters receive on neogaf, i have no idea where did some of you develop these extreme high standard for a series.

She might be a spy, but I doubt her story was made up, or that would be a completely pointless scene and some real sloppy writing. They aren't going to make her completely unsympathetic, so she's probably telling Robb the truth about her past.

Oona Westerling will not turn out to be a spy. She is a genuine "nurse" stuck in the enemy camp at first, and later grown fond of it.

Are you talking about Robb's love interest?
This one is actually crucial to the story.

regarding H'gar

Have you not seen the show? They ended that part by Arya and the gang walking out. I am sure it will be shown but later,
especially since Arya did not confirm that the last name is not up for killing anymore.

Sax_Man

Banned
You just compared Stargate Atlantis to the production values of this show... Because of lasers? Are you joking

That's a nice Red Herring. The point is that the budget seems to have had such an impact that we don't seem to have even get a total of 5 minutes of CG work in Season 2 so far. In fact, budgetary constraint seems to have had such an impact that important events and characters are drastically altered. It's not the absence of CG that bothers me. It's the way it has influenced nearly every aspect of the story. Wouldn't you say that if an interpretation of a work falls short because of logistics, that the interpretation is inaccurate?

Season 1 did a fantastic job of working within the constraints of whatever their budget is, but it still felt like it was "forced" to change events in such a way that money could be saved. In that sense, Season 2 is almost like a cruel joke to readers. It eschews many of the fascinating developments in A Clash of Kings - Tyrion and Arya, most particularly, but there are others as well. Even more perplexing is the fact that there are often much, much better scenes to choose from Clash of Kings than the ones that were chosen for this season - scenes that probably wouldn't have required much of a budget bump, anyway! Maybe it was too expensive to build another set. Maybe the writers just don't get it. Maybe I'm wrong, and spending time developing important characters is a waste of time.

Why can an 8-year old show pull off the illusion of entire alien worlds, alien races, and spacecraft convincingly, yet this show doesn't even seem to want to try to accurately portray its own events and characters? This season has felt like HBO writers read the Cliff's Notes for Clash of Kings and then pulled out the parts they thought would play well and were cheap, and invented the rest.

This is not the Game of Thrones that I remember. And after having every single battle in the series glossed over, Blackwater Bay better be the best damn TV battle ever.

Nope, exactly like how it plays out in the book. Sadly enough, they actually gave her more to do in the show than she had in Clash.

Though a lot seem to like him. I really don't care for Tyrion at all. Its the actor or material they gave him, but it always comes off as fake with him for some reason.

he comes off the same way the actors who play Varys and Petyr Baelish come off. like they're playing at a game they find endlessly amusing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Weird to hear about Daenerys. Well, I guess I should be glad with what they're giving. I hope it integrates into the rest of lore sooner rather than later though. I actually really enjoy what's going on there, it just feels so stand alone and disconnected.

Yeah, Robb's (good to hear that though), Snow's, and other characters like Margaery Tyrell. I like them being in the story, but it really does seem like the only reason they're there is for tits. Being a fan of nudity, I'm not fussed, but it does become transparent. I don't want a build-up when I know what the payoff is going to be.

I how Snow's situation develops.
I'm okay with Ygritte, but her introduction was basically "HERE IS A PRETTY YOUNG SNOW GIRL OH MY WHAT A SCOTTISH ROSE SHE IS POOR JOHN IN SMITTEN". Yep. Been there done that several times over in a million other stories, including this.

Zabka

Game of Thrones has tons of CG outside of dragons and combat.

ETA: I agree with some people here that the expanding of Robb was not worth sacrificing bits from other characters. Specifically Arya and Jon.

jett

D-Member

The character does her job perfectly in the books without ever saying a word, without wasting a second of our time. All of the invented scenes with Robb this season have been utterly dreadful.

edit: honestly I lose respect for the showrunners with every new episode. They've expanded every single female role, changed those that were weak into strong-willed characters and invented more new female roles that weren't in the books. What the fuck is this shit, seriously? It's obvious what they are playing at, and it's honestly quite ridiculous.

JGS

Banned
I agree, but it's such a male dominated show to begin with that of there are no family connections, it's got to be a love interest (they even introduced Theon's sister that way lol). Brienne was a breath of fresh air in that regard, but now they're overplaying how different she is.

I think they linked to her pretty well this week with Tyrion saying something like another game for another time. Having not read the books, I think in the end she is ultimately going to be the glue to all of this (Or some Targaryen if, contrary to her belief, she has a kid).

That's a nice Red Herring. The point is that the budget seems to have had such an impact that we don't seem to have even get a total of 5 minutes of CG work in Season 2 so far. In fact, budgetary constraint seems to have had such an impact that important events and characters are drastically altered. It's not the absence of CG that bothers me. It's the way it has influenced nearly every aspect of the story. Wouldn't you say that if an interpretation of a work falls short because of logistics, that the interpretation is inaccurate?

Season 1 did a fantastic job of working within the constraints of whatever their budget is, but it still felt like it was "forced" to change events in such a way that money could be saved. In that sense, Season 2 is almost like a cruel joke to readers. It eschews many of the fascinating developments in A Clash of Kings - Tyrion and Arya, most particularly, but there are others as well. Even more perplexing is the fact that there are often much, much better scenes to choose from Clash of Kings than the ones that were chosen for this season - scenes that probably wouldn't have required much of a budget bump, anyway! Maybe it was too expensive to build another set. Maybe the writers just don't get it. Maybe I'm wrong, and spending time developing important characters is a waste of time.

Why can an 8-year old show pull off the illusion of entire alien worlds, alien races, and spacecraft convincingly, yet this show doesn't even seem to want to try to accurately portray its own events and characters? This season has felt like HBO writers read the Cliff's Notes for Clash of Kings and then pulled out the parts they thought would play well and were cheap, and invented the rest.

This is not the Game of Thrones that I remember. And after having every single battle in the series glossed over, Blackwater Bay better be the best damn TV battle ever.

They are constantly using CGI
. Just because they aren't throwing it in your face at every moment does not mean its not there. Tons of the backdrops are being developed with CGI. As for the battles, there are a few things to note

1) They haven't skipped any battle described first hand in the book. There was one major battle described in COK, and by all indications, that is where the budget has been distributed to in the show

2) I'd prefer a lack of CGI or directing that avoids the need for CGI than have them utilise cheap, nasty CGI and special effects like we usually see in every other TV show because they spread the budget too thin

Of course it would have been nice if they could have put some time towards battles not described first hand in the book, but that we heard of. But again, they do have a budget.

endre

Weird to hear about Daenerys. Well, I guess I should be glad with what they're giving. I hope it integrates into the rest of lore sooner rather than later though. I actually really enjoy what's going on there, it just feels so stand alone and disconnected.

Daenerys is disconnected in the books as well.
The thing that bothers me with her that she gets stuff so easy. Of what you seen so far: dragons, a big ass barbarian horse lord that is a real casanova g spot master when with D.

Yeah, Robb's (good to hear that though), Snow's, and other characters like Margaery Tyrell. I like them being in the story, but it really does seem like the only reason they're there is for tits. Being a fan of nudity, I'm not fussed, but it does become transparent. I don't want a build-up when I know what the payoff is going to be.

I how Snow's situation develops.
I'm okay with Ygritte, but her introduction was basically "HERE IS A PRETTY YOUNG SNOW GIRL OH MY WHAT A SCOTTISH ROSE SHE IS POOR JOHN IN SMITTEN". Yep. Been there done that several times over in a million other stories, including this.

Ygritte is important for Jon. (strange face) Margery is somewhat different in the books. She is younger of course and there was no sex scene in the trying with her and Renly, when she offers to call in her brother... shm

What i think was handled bad in the show is Jon's and Qhorin halfhand's interaction. In the book he doesn't come of like a huge idiot.

The character does her job perfectly in the books without ever saying a word, without wasting a second of our time. All of the invented scenes with Robb this season have been utterly dreadful.

edit: honestly I lose respect for the showrunners with every new episode. They've expanded every single female role, changed those that were weak into strong-willed characters and invented more new female roles that weren't in the books. What the fuck is this shit, seriously? It's obvious what they are playing at, and it's honestly quite ridiculous.

Really? That is your problem?

Maybe you should stop watching considering how it frustrates you.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
And as someone pointed out, they haven't reduced Dany's role surprisingly. This is actually more interesting than what she had in the book sadly.
I remember groaning while reading ACoK every time I saw that the next chapter was about Dany. I just wanted to get back to the more interesting parts of the story.

Larry Williams seems pretty unhappy with this season.

kind of hilarious that he's hasnt read the books yet most of the subplots and story angles he finds too drawn out or superfluous are absent from the source material.
still, even if he hasnt read the books this guy seems way more attentive than your average tv viewer, he's not just joe blow off the street, so what he finds problematic probably isnt a reflection of a broad consensus among non readers

I remember groaning while reading ACoK every time I saw that the next chapter was about Dany. I just wanted to get back to the more interesting parts of the story.

I only ever felt that way about Bran's parts. (the majority, not all)
Dany is one of my favourite characters. I felt I wasnt getting enough of her in COK. Felt that way about Davos and Stannis too.

Moaradin

It's a problem when the scenes between Robb and Talisa are terrible and easily the worst of the season.

No way, the Robb scenes are great. That Medic chick is easily the best female on this show. The Jon Snow and Dani scenes are much less interesting just because of how disconnected they are to the whole war going on.

ezrarh

Maybe I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff from ACOK but the book was this slow as well. It could do more because you could have internal reflection from the characters POVs but a lot of it was people sitting around besides Jon and Theon. Arya did a lot of wandering but they can't exactly show all that in the tv show. Dany will be Dany. (I hate this part of the series) We only got 3 Davos chapters if I remember correctly so lack of Stannis is true to the book (although I would have preferred to see more of him) One of the storylines that moved along well was Theon's and that has been well done in the show.

Maybe I am a bad fan but I liked the episode enough. It wasn't the greatest but dat Oona ass yo.

Defuser

Lttp of the boots scene but...

rCnjP.png

BFIB

I thought the episode was great personally. Great build up, and obviously, choices are made that will have consequences later.

-I wanted to hate the Arya scenes (Tywin basically leaving her behind), but then I had to remind myself what kind of a person Tywin is. Even though he had a connection with Arya, the satisfaction of killing Stannis supersedes anything else at this point.

-Arya's way of leaving Harrenhal, compared to the books made more sense. Tywin basically emptied out Harrenhal to send troops to go after the Brotherhood, so when
Vargo Hoat returns, Harrenhal is basically his for the taking

-Robb/Talisia. I really don't understand the hate. Robb was forced into a marriage agreement, and at the time, only wanted to do anything to save his father. Now, his father is gone, all he wants is to end the war, and he found someone he can connect with. I won't go into any more detail here, but those who know future events, this is one of the bigger moments in the series.

-I'm not sure why they changed the tone of Jon/Ygritte/Halfhand compared to the books, but the end result looks like its going to be the same. Lord of Bones finally makes his debut, and he looks exactly how I thought he would.

-Tyrion/Cersei. This is the moment I was waiting for. Tyrion, starting to actually show sympathy for his sister in the previous episode, now sees her for what she truly is. Tyrion makes his stand, and delivers the best line in the series yet. He plays the game well, and we also get to hear "pig shit" for the first time.

Did the episode jump around too much? Maybe to some people. But, these are events that had to happen. There is so much leading into season 3, and over the next 2 episodes, this is all set up for the moving parts in the finale, and the next episode. Can't wait to see
The House of the Undying

Sanjay

kind of hilarious that he's hasnt read the books yet most of the subplots and story angles he finds too drawn out or superfluous are absent from the source material.
still, even if he hasnt read the books this guy seems way more attentive than your average tv viewer, he's not just joe blow off the street, so what he finds problematic probably isnt a reflection of a broad consensus among non readers

He comes off as a book reader, lol.

And also I hate how they butchered Catelyn & Rob's motivations for their actions.

As it was hearing the loss of Bran and Rickon to Theon that drove Catelyn to release Jaime and Rob to fall for Jeyne. Both actions for love and why Rob forgave Catelyn as he also broke his word to wed the frays.

One other thing that bugs me that I must have missed: Robb went to the Crag to negotiate a peace, I suppose the talks fell through?

This bothered me too. I guess they just needed to get Robb out of his camp again so Jaime could escape without him being present... again.

This show is getting frustrating. They're doing some things really really good like Theon, and Stannis and Davos. Yet they're fucking up other stuff so badly like Jon, and Arya (scenes between her and Tywin were great, but they've completely wasted her time in Harrenhal).

Some of the problems kind of stem from the source material, like Dany doing nothing this season at all, but they're also completely ignoring some great material from the books and replacing that material with inferior stuff.

It's the boots you guys were staring it?

Yeah, what the hell? I didn't even notice the boots.

The story I could take or leave, especially since I still think her identity is largely false anyway. Interestingly enough though the non-readers seemed largely to enjoy her story and found it good insight into the world.

The two of them actually getting together I did think was good though. SERIES
I think it's just setting up the Red Wedding to be so much more horrible than it was in the books.

Couldn't agree more.
The Red Wedding I think is gonna be really horrible and I can't wait. I don't have a ton of friends following the show who haven't read the books though. Are non-book readers really connecting with Robb?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I only ever felt that way about Bran's parts. (the majority, not all)
You're crazy. Bran chapters were fun in the book, I loved [ACoK]
the Reed's and their relationship, the wolf dreams and them hiding from Theon in the tomb. I even liked the two Walders and how terrible they were to Bran.

Contrast that with Dany, [ACoK]
I hated her Red Waste journey and the only part I liked about it was Jorah telling her about his wife and what led him to being banished. Her going around Qarth and being given gifts was boring. It didn't get interesting until THotU and later her almost getting killed on the docks. She only had 5 chapters and the first 3 weren't interesting and it only got good in her last two chapters.

Cat setting Jaime free before she even heard about Bran and Rickon makes her seem super crazy.

I didn't think it was that bad. She was afraid that the northmen were going to kill Jaime and Robb was conveniently absent again (marching off to make peace with the enemy with about 2 guards), so she made a rash decision.

endre

I didn't think it was that bad. She was afraid that the northmen were going to kill Jaime and Robb was conveniently absent again (marching off to make peace with the enemy with about 2 guards), so she made a rash decision.

And did he make peace? This I think I missed (It wasn't even shown was it? or at least hinted?)

And did he make peace? This I think I missed (It wasn't even shown was it? or at least hinted?)

We don't know. Completely ignored.

And I had such high hopes for her after Triassic Attack. To be fair, she's given the least of any main character to work with. It's a very exposition-heavy show, but her scenes are the least visual of all. In most scenes for the other characters, there's something happening. In hers, it's usually just a conversation, standing in a random room/hall/garden. If we're lucky, she and the person with whom she's chatting are also walking.

As major a character as she is, I wonder if the show could've gotten away with hardly showing her at all -- except maybe to bookend the beginning and end of the season. We could hear about her through rumors being passed around Westeros, a little like Varys did tonight. As the rumors of her and her dragons spread (and maybe get exaggerated), she could be a bigger looming presence in the story by not being seen at all.

Yeah, I'm not ready to write her off yet. The material she's had to work with has been pretty weak this season.

flyover

Emilia Clarke is a terrible, horrible actress. She is the weakest link on this show.

And I had such high hopes for her after Triassic Attack. To be fair, she's given the least of any main character to work with. It's a very exposition-heavy show, but her scenes are the least visual of all. In most scenes for the other characters, there's something happening. In hers, it's usually just a conversation, standing in a random room/hall/garden. If we're lucky, she and the person with whom she's chatting are also walking.

As major a character as she is, I wonder if the show could've gotten away with hardly showing her at all -- except maybe to bookend the beginning and end of the season. We could hear about her through rumors being passed around Westeros, a little like Varys did tonight. As the rumors of her and her dragons spread (and maybe get exaggerated), she could be a bigger looming presence in the story by not being seen at all.

I agree with those who said this episode's music was the best so far. Some good new pieces.

Overall, I ended up liking the episode if only for the Tyrion, Varys and Bronn scenes and Oona Chaplin.

But I can't help but feel like they seriously shit the bed with Jon's storyline. Yes, it seems tit will end up at the same point, but if they stuck to the book, it would have made more sense and made Jon a more interesting character AND it would have been more exciting. ACOK
Plus, it seems they've pretty much taken out all warging since the first couple episodes. I'm wondering if thats not because they plan on bringing in Meera and Jojen next season? But now that Jon and Qhorin are captured, it makes me wonder how they'll re-introduce Ghost.

Kind of feel the same way with Arya. I loved her scenes with Tywin, but I feel like she hasn't really developed much as a result of starting off as cupbearer and not having to work her way up. ACOK
And missing out on Weasel Soup kind of makes her even more passive. I liked that in the books, as it was a way for her to help out the North and provided a bit of action. Plus you had Harrenhal changing hands so much whereas in the show its pretty static.

The show isn't bad, but I do feel they haven't done a very good job with the pacing and actually adapting the book this year. The book is chock full of natural cliffhangers and action but in changing small things and cutting out certain characters, it seems like you're already seeing those little changes snowball into big changes. And so characters that should have been introduced and familiar by now won't be introduced until next year, where I wonder if they won't just end up feeling tacked on as plot devices and not characters that should feel like they've been around in the world all along.

ezrarh

The show isn't bad, but I do feel they haven't done a very good job with the pacing and actually adapting the book this year. The book is chock full of natural cliffhangers and action but in changing small things and cutting out certain characters, it seems like you're already seeing those little changes snowball into big changes. And so characters that should have been introduced and familiar by now won't be introduced until next year, where I wonder if they won't just end up feeling tacked on as plot devices and not characters that should feel like they've been around in the world all along.

I'm actually worried how they're going to introduce certain characters. ACOK/ASOS
Edmure is suppose to play a pretty big role and there hasn't been any mention of the Tully family this season. It'll be weird for him to just suddenly show up.

I'm actually worried how they're going to introduce certain characters. ACOK/ASOS
Edmure is suppose to play a pretty big role and there hasn't been any mention of the Tully family this season. It'll be weird for him to just suddenly show up.

They haven't even mentioned this season how the River lords are fighting for Robb.

calza

Really disappointed by this episode, it doesn't feel like they have actually read the book. More just looked up the wikipedia or something. The tone just doesn't seem right, apart from Stannis and Theon.

TV Jon is absolutely atrocious, his development and story has been terrible. He seems less capable then in season 1.

The chase in the book is one of my favourite parts of the series. To have the rest of the rangers killed like that and Half-hand captured... Severely disappointing season.

JGS

Banned
I assumed he never made it or ese their position wasn't really weakened at all.

I was confused by what Tywin said. He indicated that Robb's army was split, but I thought it was a completely different group headed to Winterfell. Wrong info? If so, won't Tywin be in for a surprise?

You're crazy. Bran chapters were fun in the book, I loved [ACoK]
the Reed's and their relationship, the wolf dreams and them hiding from Theon in the tomb. I even liked the two Walders and how terrible they were to Bran.

Contrast that with Dany, [ACoK]
I hated her Red Waste journey and the only part I liked about it was Jorah telling her about his wife and what led him to being banished. Her going around Qarth and being given gifts was boring. It didn't get interesting until THotU and later her almost getting killed on the docks. She only had 5 chapters and the first 3 weren't interesting and it only got good in her last two chapters.
I loved the visual imagery of her being situated in a (ACOK)
deserted city (eerie as fuck, could feel the atmosphere jumping out at you from the pages), then making her way to Qarth, which seemed so strange and exotic. the part where she names the dragons after Rhaegar, Viserys and Drogo is epic, I loved the larger theme of her identifying more and more with her Targaryan ancestors.
Bran's chapters bored me until Theon came, though I liked some of his interactions with Maester Luwin and the part where he remembers Jaime Lannister throwing him off the cliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom