• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Asha is awesome. A toast to Asha!

I will never understand why they made Yara such a grim character. Proper Asha could've added a bit more color to the show, god knows it needs some.

Probably the only thing we've ever agreed on. I don't like this "Asha" at all and the thought of her being able to be as compelling later on as her book character is pretty unlikely to me.

WiC brings up something that I couldn't help but think last night about the Robb stuff. Him breaking down and having sex with "Talisa" felt so rushed and anti-climatic, it really should have been in a later episode. He simply throws his honor out the window the minute she enters the tent, and it just didn't feel authentic. Why not have them kiss a bit, then Robb stops and walks out. Obviously we don't see exactly how things went down in the book, but it was under very different circumstances, which make it seem more logical.

ASOS
I dunno why we have to expect Robb to act so logically. The whole romance between him and Jeyne was horribly thought out in the first place, obviously. It was based essentially on a teenage infatuation that he was not smart enough to resist. Same as the show.

Deadwood didn't have that much nudity outside of a blurry background whore here and there.
right, so much of the show is spent in saloons and with people who traffic women, yet so little of the sex and nudity felt gratuitous in any way. We can thank Al Swearengen for that infamous sexposition scene with Littlefinger, btw.

Fantomex

I have a question, sorry if it's been asked. Why did the Greyjoys go pillage the North and sem to conquer but now they just want to go back to the islands? Was that their intentions all along.

I have a question, sorry if it's been asked. Why did the Greyjoys go pillage the North and sem to conquer but now they just want to go back to the islands? Was that their intentions all along.

I thought it was their intention to pillage the fishing villages and ports. Only Theon ventured all the way to Wintefell against his father's wishes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I love the show too, with some reservations. It's just impossible for anyone who has read the spectacular books to not wish that everything about the show could live up to the source material.

I understand that, but I kind of wish people would understand the limitations of the medium. In a book, you can literally make any event occur at any time, but you can't in a TV series. For example, people asked why Robb doesn't appear to be fighting any battles; the obvious reason is that it would become conspicuous that there aren't any battles being shown, and there's no medium anywhere where you can just have unlimited numbers of battles shown.

I thought it was their intention to pillage the fishing villages and ports. Only Theon ventured all the way to Wintefell against his father's wishes.
It was kind of funny watching that scene since I actually kind of felt empathy for Theon there; the Greyjoy family consistently treats him like shit and then acts incredulous that isn't he isn't doing what they say to the letter.

q_q

Probably the only thing we've ever agreed on. I don't like this "Asha" at all and the thought of her being able to be as compelling later on as her book character is pretty unlikely to me.

I think it's a bit early to make that assumption though. The show isn't the books, some things are going to be different. Yara could become a much better character down the road. I think we just don't know enough about her character to compare her to the book Asha yet.

endre

They are pillagers, and holding Winterfell so far from the sea is a very hard task supply wise.

Thanks guys. Seems kinda stupid no? Let's go take the Norths stuff then swim back home. Who cares if they get mad and try to come kill us :)

It was Theon's rash decision. He wants to prove himself but fails constantly.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think it's a bit early to make that assumption though. The show isn't the books, some things are going to be different. Yara could become a much better character down the road. I think we just don't know enough about her character to compare her to the book Asha yet.

It's like I'm replying to myself!

Fair enough. Still do not enjoy her interpretation of the character in the slightest.

q_q

It's like I'm replying to myself!

Fair enough. Still do not enjoy her interpretation of the character in the slightest.

I was actually just teasing you about what you said earlier in the thread. But I agree, Asha was an awesome character, Yara, not so much. The weird thing is I can't even really place my finger on what it is, but just something about her seems forced in a way. Maybe it's just the actress.

ezrarh

I understand that, but I kind of wish people would understand the limitations of the medium. In a book, you can literally make any event occur at any time, but you can't in a TV series. For example, people asked why Robb doesn't appear to be fighting any battles; the obvious reason is that it would become conspicuous that there aren't any battles being shown, and there's no medium anywhere where you can just have unlimited numbers of battles shown.

Not only that, they're under severe time constraints. 2 and a half hour movies can take 3 years to make. They're doing 10 hours of shooting in less than a year. That's a combination of writing the scripts, shooting, and post production.

I mean, it's pretty obvious now they've gone heavily toward trying to develop the characters through a lot of talking which aren't as complicated to shoot. Unfortunately due to the nature of the story, it's impossible to cover everything and it'll feel disjointed at times with bad pacing.

jayb

with as much as they're changing with Jon's story, I wouldn't be surprised if the show kills off Yara, and then her long lost twin Asha shows up...

This episode was pretty shit, and I've defended most of the changes in the past. The pacing of this season is so uneven that it seems like the showrunners' only goal was to have every character arc climax at the same time. It should make for a thrilling penultimate ep and finale, but I don't like the way it was handled. This episode was a drag.

Ironically though, I didn't mind the added Robb/Jeyne scene. Sure it was a tad bit long, but it was the first scene that humanized "Talisa," whereas before, non-readers kept pegging her as a spy not to be trusted. Plus, she hands down wins the best nude scene so far in the series (agree with PhoenixDark though that her entrance into the tent was so arbitrary and logically inconsistent).

What really detracted from this episode were the scenes already in the book. Jon/Qhorin's relationship is now officially butchered (ACOK)
and the impact of Jon's actions in the next episode will be mitigated.

Why even bother showing Dany if her story didn't even progress this episode? Why would Jaime not even attempt an escape with Brienne his only captor, when he worked with less when dealing with his cousin? I thought for sure he would try and rock the boat to knock her off in all her armor. And why would Arya finally decide to name Tywin at the last minute -- only when it's now conveniently too late and Ja'qen is conveniently away on patrol?

I don't mind when the show diverges from the books, but if/when they do, I expect some logical consistency in the characters' actions/motivations, etc.

Regarding the Brotherhood:
I feel they're going to be introduced this season, possibly in the finale. Way too many references to it to not book-end the season with them. I also wonder, since they're moving up Jaime's storyline from ASOS, if he'll actually end up getting caught by the Brotherhood and merge some of his arc with Arya's. They could also have the Brotherhood be the ones who cut off his fighting hand. Would obviously be very divergent from the books, but I think it'd be an interesting dynamic, and would be a way to condense more storylines for S3.

I was thinking this too, but it could be explained that since she's at least taking him where he wants to go and he hadn't had much success with his first attempt, he's willing to let the wench help for now.

And that's fine and understandable for big battle scenes. But they're also fucking up smaller arcs that don't require huge budgets. Jon and the Halfhand, Arya in Harrenhal (her scenes with Tywin were great, but that's all that was there, they ignored so much material that they could have drawn from to make the show and Arya's character better). It's just frustrating to see them succeed so well in some areas (Theon), then see them crash and burn in others (Jon and Arya).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I was thinking this too, but it could be explained that since she's at least taking him where he wants to go and he hadn't had much success with his first attempt, he's willing to let the wench help for now.

I could be wrong but I'm sure he had plenty of opportunity in the books to escape too. I don't really see why he'd have much of an incentive to do so.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ACOK/ASOS
Well they are having Tywin march after Robb, so he has to get held up by Tully forces in the riverlands next episode. I'm sure they'll just mentioned that it happened, and just like the book, Robb will make for Riverrun at the end of this season/beginning of next and Edmure will be introduced (and his foolish actions will be explained).
One thing I noticed was [ACoK]
they were careful to not have Tywin say he was marching towards Robb in last night's episode. All he said was he wanted to leave that night so they would have a night's march before Robb knew they were on the move. They left that vague enough so non-readers would be surprised at Tywin saving King's Landing at the end of Blackwater. I think the show is going to skip over Edmure screwing up Robb's plan to defeat Tywin's forces.

Something about Jon and Ghost (series spoilers)
So I assume that Jon won't see Ghost until he shows up near the wall near the end of ASOS now. Of all the odd choices of Jon's story, I think Ghost basically abandoning him was the stupidest one.
I'm really hoping [ACoK]
Ghost still plays a part in Jon killing Halfhand this season.

Meier

I love the show too, with some reservations. It's just impossible for anyone who has read the spectacular books to not wish that everything about the show could live up to the source material.

I dunno, gotta disagree here. Thought last night's episode was excellent.. again. And the season is working for the non-book reader in my house. My fiancee is actually commenting on things on occasion whereas in season 1 she mostly just stopped watching other than occasionally getting angry about how many terrible things happen to the good guys.

LProtag

Her arc is already ruined, adding a coin in the last episode won't fix anything, the fact that this Jaquen isn't that good doesn't help either.

I mean I would assume she's going to ACoK
kill the guard at the stables in order to get horses, then be given the coin.

Also I thought most people really liked this portrayal of Jaqen? I have.

At first I assumed the same. But it looks like they are coming home when the news about the kingslayer is delivered to Robb. As a matter of a fact, for true nitpicking, their walking pace really bothered me... LoL

I was just thinking Robb and "Talisa" were going to blow away during that scene. It looked incredibly windy.

I know they have to pick and choose what to tackle with this shows with so many characters and events going on, but I'm really disappointed that they avoided Robb's war this season, and his tactical genius, which they really played up well in season 1.

Yeah, they seem to always spend some time showing Robb chatting over maps but I wish they'd actually show a map in detail or try to explain where Robb is geographically or what he's doing militarily in terms of his campaigning. It doesn't help that he seems to be in the same camp as the end of last year so it doesn't give the impression that he's actually advancing his army over Lannister territory.

I think the Tywin scenes this week did a little better in explaining their situation, but I think they could do a better job giving context to the broader picture of whats going on and who is where in the world.

The non-book readers I watch the show and discuss it with really like Robb, mostly based on his late season 1 actions though I think.
Which makes it kind of odd for the showrunners to want to keep Robb in the picture this season, since he really hasn't been on screen to actively do anything super awesome. At least in the book, ACOK
his myth is sort of built up offscreen and left to the reader's imagination to some extent. And then when you meet back up with him in ASoS, you realize he's still a kid, having mucked up by thinking with his cock by marrying Jeyne

ACOK/ASOS
Well they are having Tywin march after Robb, so he has to get held up by Tully forces in the riverlands next episode. I'm sure they'll just mentioned that it happened, and just like the book, Robb will make for Riverrun at the end of this season/beginning of next and Edmure will be introduced (and his foolish actions will be explained).
Kind of will seem odd, ACOK
having Tywin march out to get held up and then make it all the way down to King's Landing in the course of a day or two?
The show doesn't really seem to concern itself with geography and how long it takes to travel places.

Something about Jon and Ghost (series spoilers)
So I assume that Jon won't see Ghost until he shows up near the wall near the end of ASOS now. Of all the odd choices of Jon's story, I think Ghost basically abandoning him was the stupidest one.

Mmm...They could still have it work if (ACOK)
Ghost comes back to bite Qhorin during the fight. In the book, its like Qhorin is actually dominating that fight with Jon until Ghost comes in and sneak attacks Qhorin, giving Jon the upper hand. But then why would the Wildlings let Ghost near them or let him stay around, considering none of them have seen Ghost with Jon yet?

That, and they haven't touched on Jon warging into Ghost, which he's done at this point in the books. My guess is they'll probably play up the warging abilities of Jon, Bran and Arya next season once they introduce the Reeds.

Fuzzy

I mean I would assume she's going to ACoK
kill the guard at the stables in order to get horses, then be given the coin.

Also I thought most people really liked this portrayal of Jaqen? I have.
[ACoK]
The show is probably going to do something stupid like them trying to walk all the way instead of stealing horses so that it's cheaper to film.

One thing I noticed was [ACoK]
they were careful to not have Tywin say he was marching towards Robb in last night's episode. All he said was he wanted to leave that night so they would have a night's march before Robb knew they were on the move. They left that vague enough so non-readers would be surprised at Tywin saving King's Landing at the end of Blackwater. I think the show is going to skip over Edmure screwing up Robb's plan to defeat Tywin's forces.

ACOK/ASOS
Yes, although I think it's pretty clearly implied that he is marching West, which like you said could give a surprise to audience when he shows up at Kings Landing. Then they could cover that Edmure stopped them through Robb being informed what happened in episode 10. I think that would work pretty well.

I'm really hoping [ACoK]
Ghost still plays a part in Jon killing Halfhand this season.
[/QUOTE]

Same here.

Yeah, they seem to always spend some time showing Robb chatting over maps but I wish they'd actually show a map in detail or try to explain where Robb is geographically or what he's doing militarily in terms of his campaigning. It doesn't help that he seems to be in the same camp as the end of last year so it doesn't give the impression that he's actually advancing his army over Lannister territory.

I think the Tywin scenes this week did a little better in explaining their situation, but I think they could do a better job giving context to the broader picture of whats going on and who is where in the world.

Yeah, when I say I wish we saw more of Robb's war this season, that's what I mean. I don't mean I demand to see him fighting in a battle every episode, but they haven't really given much context to why we went west/his plans.

Tywin's scene helped though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

And that's fine and understandable for big battle scenes. But they're also fucking up smaller arcs that don't require huge budgets. Jon and the Halfhand, Arya in Harrenhal (her scenes with Tywin were great, but that's all that was there, they ignored so much material that they could have drawn from to make the show and Arya's character better). It's just frustrating to see them succeed so well in some areas (Theon), then see them crash and burn in others (Jon and Arya).

Again, I think that's often a conflation of what the individual person thinks is important and what the showrunners think are important. A lot of the stuff people want added back in don't necessarily work over a 10 hour series you watch from week to week; a lot of this is assumptions as to what the outcome for every event in the TV series is. I can easily see for example, why they changed a lot of Arya's arc: because it involved adding a ton of extra characters and the show is already at critical mass for a TV series with regards to characters.

Again, I think that's often a conflation of what the individual person thinks is important and what the showrunners think are important. A lot of the stuff people want added back in don't necessarily work over a 10 hour series you watch from week to week; a lot of this is assumptions as to what the outcome for every event in the TV series is. I can easily see for example, why they changed a lot of Arya's arc: because it involved adding a ton of extra characters and the show is already at critical mass for a TV series with regards to characters.

Not really. We already had the Tickler, Polliver and Amory Lorch. Focus just a little bit more on them. Take a week away from Arya + Tywin and show just a little bit of Arya's growing propensity for murder as a result of what's going on at Harrenhal. Show some more cruel stuff and then cap it off with Arya killing a guard for them to make their escape.

endre

Kind of will seem odd, ACOK
having Tywin march out to get held up and then make it all the way down to King's Landing in the course of a day or two?
The show doesn't really seem to concern itself with geography and how long it takes to travel places.

Lets geek it out. Harenhal is around 300 miles from Kings Landing. A good horse can cover 100 miles a day on a good terrain. I'd bet an army needs 5-6 days to reach KL.

I haven't read ACOK yet, but from what I've been reading on this forum so far about the changes, would it be accurate to say that the changes are Walking Dead level of changes? Assuming anybody is familiar with how that shows played out. I've been reading Game of Thrones and from what I've read the show followed the book very closely.

AngryMoth

I haven't read ACOK yet, but from what I've been reading on this forum so far about the changes, would it be accurate to say that the changes are Walking Dead level of changes? Assuming anybody is familiar with how that shows played out. I've been reading Game of Thrones and from what I've the show followed the book very closely.
Not even close. GoT is still a beat for beat adaptation, they!ve just been straying from the path quite a lot recently.

ezrarh

Lets geek it out. Harenhal is around 300 miles from Kings Landing. A good horse can cover 100 miles a day on a good terrain. I'd bet an army needs 5-6 days to reach KL.

50 miles a day for an army is too much unless they're all on horseback and are Mongols. ACOK
I don't know how Tywin is suppose to show up at King's Landing with Stannis 2 days away

Fuzzy

I haven't read ACOK yet, but from what I've been reading on this forum so far about the changes, would it be accurate to say that the changes are Walking Dead level of changes? Assuming anybody is familiar with how that shows played out. I've been reading Game of Thrones and from what I've the show followed the book very closely.
Not Walking Dead level of changes because they really changed that but one thing that's similar is
them having some characters dead in the show when they're alive in the book and vice versa.

endre

50 miles a day for an army is too much unless they're all on horseback and are Mongols. ACOK
I don't know how Tywin is suppose to show up at King's Landing with Stannis 2 days away

Yeah, they would arrive breathless if at all. Simply tell the enemy to wait a day or two. IIRC Tywin turned his forces to KL, as soon as he heard about Renly's death, and the merger of the Baratheon armies. (in the books at least.)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(ACOK joke) Maybe during his visit
Baelish gave Tywin the device that allowed him to teleport all over the south of Westeros during this season.

Angry Grimace

huh? Isn't George Martin working closely with each episode? Shit, He even wrote the next episode.

"I don't think episode writer read the books!" is a generic complaint that book readers use when they want to make gripe nebulously about an episode without articulating any particular basis for said complaints.

Book nerd alert: Benioff says in that video Theon and Asha/Yara's mother is dead. Isn't she alive in the books?

Yes. Sickly, but alive.

(ACOK joke) Maybe during his visit
Baelish gave Tywin the device that allowed him to teleport all over the south of Westeros during this season.

Alliser Thorne could have used that. Is he ever going to make it to King's Landing? Or has he been forgotten.

Two, this was an especially sad episode from the perspective of a book reader :[ The scene between Tyrion and Shae had me feeling a little big sad (series)
because I kept seeing Golden Hands around Shae's neck. Some good acting on Dinklage's part there.

As wierd as it sounds, I got a bit a smirk on my face when
Tyrion said I would kill for you mainly because he basically does

More promotional material for next week's episode from HBO:

kl0EJ.jpg

scosher

There's still the (ASOS)
river chase between Brienne and Jaime that they will likely cover, so my only assumption is that they didn't want Jaime attempting an escape when he'd do so again in the next or following episode. Still, the show had no problem showing Ygritte try to escape twice.

That's where we differ. I loved most of the Arya changes up to this point, cause the tension the show added between Arya/Tywin was brilliant...but then it all but fizzled out with this episode. The previous episode, it seemed like Tywin was on the verge of unraveling Arya's identity, or at the very least, he sensed her importance. But all that buildup was done away with, by a simple, "leave her here with Gregor, he needs a cupbearer." I can understand Arya not naming Tywin because he was essentially the one who saved her and her friends from a grisly death by torture, but you have to shake your head at Ja'qen being conveniently away when she finally does want to stop him...especially when the last episode had her contemplating shoving a knife in the back of his neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom