• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mind the sex either. It's not that extreme anyway. You have 10 episodes of about an hour each. There are many movies that show more sex in 2 hours of view time. Guess some people are just sensitive towards the subject.

I admit though that I did turn down the volume a little during the woman on woman action in Littlefingers brothel. It was warm that day and I had opened the patio doors. Didn't want the neighbours to get strange ideas.

GoT just had a lot of gratuitous nudity that was used for obligatory info dumps. Most of them felt out of place except for Viserys opening up to Doreah.
Doreah, that scene got me hard a little I have to admit. Probably because she is like the most beautiful woman on the show. ;)

bengraven

GRRM is going to fucking love those. I can see him wanting to order some football jerseys with those designs...if they can make them his size.

Snake

Those jerseys are horrible. I know they couldn't use the official stuff but even so, those are bad.

Baratheon and Lannister ones looked pretty lame (the lion looked like it was from some Chronicles of Narnia promo) but I suppose I can't judge them unless I saw the way they look in real-life.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
A couple small items:

- NY Magazine decided to put the house insignias on hockey jerseys
Quickly made an avatar if anyone wants one.

3mwWD.png

I didn't bother with all of them because I'm lazy.

demolitio

Time to wear my Game of Thrones shirt all week in anticipation. It's a good Ned Stark reference that looks cool so it's not so nerdy since people just see the design mostly. It's my first game or movie/show related shirt besides a Sons of Anarchy one but it was too awesome not to get.

I'm so pumped for Sunday, but it sucks that I'm out of town for my nephew's baptism and the hotel has a shitty tube TV. I think I'll wait to get home first so I give the show the respect it deserves.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm so pumped for Sunday, but it sucks that I'm out of town for my nephew's baptism and the hotel has a shitty tube TV. I think I'll wait to get home first so I give the show the respect it deserves.
For me it's a little different. I'll be home for the premiere this Sunday but I'll be at a b-day party for my cousin's kid on the 8th and don't know if I'll be home in time for the show. Then I'll miss the third episode because I'm going to Cuba for a week and won't watch it until I get back.

Macmanus

I didn't mind the sex either. It's not that extreme anyway. You have 10 episodes of about an hour each. There are many movies that show more sex in 2 hours of view time. Guess some people are just sensitive towards the subject.

You misunderstand. Most people aren't complaining about the sex nor the nudity in and of itself. The issue is the exposition being dumped on us during various vapid sex scenes - hence the portmanteau sexposition.

Personally for me I don't care about excessive sex or gratuitous nudity. I'm a huge fan of both. I just got sick of seeing the vapid made for TV character Ros being central to so much info dumping. They lead that same horse back to that well at least four times, and in back to back episodes. It felt rather lazy. The Baelish scene was just especially agregious due to Aidan Gillen's acting and the absolutely ridiculous visual metaphor that was about as subtle as a sledge hammer. You trick them into believing you, and then you fuck them! Hurrr! Sexual foreshadowing! I agree with the poster who called it intellectually insulting.

On the other hand I thought the Viserys scene was fairly wonderful. Character development with extra back story? Pitch perfect acting? Sold. Conversation before, during, or after sex is not unrealistic at all. In fact it's common in real life - and often houses some of the most intimate conversations. So the fact that two people actually communicated back and forth made that scene worth while. Littlefinger just waxing poetic as two whores finger bang the shit out of each other comes off as silly by comparison.

Cabaratier

Neo Member
Something I'm wondering after watching all the teasers and trailers (Speculation and CoK spoilers)
All the shots of Robb are in the same camp with the broken tower where he was declared King in the North. Even the scenes with Catelyn and Brienne which means Catelyn has gone to Storms End and back while Robb was staying in the same place. Is he really raiding the Westerlands based out of the same camp in the middle of fucking nowhere in the Riverlands? It really is too bad that Riverrun hasn't been introduced yet. But the Iron Island shots looked really good, I guess Theon's arc is going to be big as well.

bengraven

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-27/baby-dragons-in-thrones-48-foot-boa-pip-dark-killing-tv

Some asswipe from Business Week gives Season 2 2.5 stars. That reads like somebody who's never even attempted to give the show or books a chance.

Reminds me of this incredibly bad review of Return of the King in USA Today.

The guy was basically saying that he was embarassed to be at the film and had to hunch down in fear that someone who knew him would see him at the dragons and unicorns film. YOU'RE A REVIEWER, it's your god damned job!

The best part was when he said his teenage son made fun of people who liked this stuff and because of that, the film was going to be laughed at by "normal" people. Because his son was the target market and his son aka the target market, hated it.

Worst review ever was Richard Roeper's Fellowship of the Ring review on Ebert and Roeper. He basically made fun of it the entire time and had nothing constructive to say. Of course once the film proved to be a hit he changed his tune and gave positive reviews to its two (in my opinion weaker) sequels.

- Tim Goodman's review for THR:
There’s a rich tapestry at work in Game of Thrones that precious few series have pulled off, much less attempted. The result is that fans (and not just the die-hards who have read the books) soak up each episode and wish – like I did after the fourth episode – that there were more than 10 episodes per season. That kind of insatiable sense of wanting to absorb the fertile storytelling, excellent characters/acting and magnificent visuals is a definitive sign that a series is doing virtually everything right.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished reading A Clash of Kings. Fantastic book, through and through. I should probably start watching this. I've seen an episode or two of the first season but it felt so... odd.

I really wish they would clarify if they saw the entire second season or just the first four episodes.

He does clarify:
The first four episodes are rich in storytelling and action and ambition -- a thrilling return to brilliance.
The result is that fans (and not just the die-hards who have read the books) soak up each episode and wish – like I did after the fourth episode – that there were more than 10 episodes per season.

I don't think anyone outside of HBO has seen the whole season.

Jarmel

Banned
He does clarify:

I don't think anyone outside of HBO has seen the whole season.

That could just be indicative of his opinion on the first four in that 'the quality of the first four is great but it drops off later'(he obviously didn't mean that). It's just the title of the article implies he's seen the entire season.

That could just be indicative of his opinion on the first four in that 'the quality of the first four is great but it drops off later'(he obviously didn't mean that). It's just the title of the article implies he's seen the entire season.

That doesn't make sense in the context of the article. He could have made it clearer, but that he only watched the first four episodes is in there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a question for those who have seen the whole series to this point: does this show eventually branch off into "its own thing"? The first three episodes felt a lot like what I'd consider to be a poor, or at the very least "just a novelty for fans of the original work", adaption. You know, the sort where they don't have time to really do much more than tell a cliff-notes, shallow version of the original story. That might be a bit harsh, but it was the definite vibe I got from those few episodes.

Piecake

a question for those who have seen the whole series to this point: does this show eventually branch off into "its own thing"? The first three episodes felt a lot like what I'd consider to be a poor, or at the very least "just a novelty for fans of the original work", adaption. You know, the sort where they don't have time to really do much more than tell a cliff-notes, shallow version of the original story.

I think it hits its stride in episode 5

KingK

I guess for me, the problem was that I didn't like most of the info dumps, whether they were sex filled or not; the exposition often came off heavy handed and poorly designed/written. For instance in terms of non-sexposition, Sansa in the throne room; the show had already established that Ned's father and brother had died there, I'm not sure regular viewers cared to be bombarded with more names either. In a similar fashion the sexposition scene with Viserys rattling off dragon names in the tub was also weak to me; as with the kings I don't think the names were necessary, and the entire thing was so odd it just didn't feel like a real conversation. And while I understood the general idea behind Prycelle pretending to be old, his scene with Ros just felt like the writers saying "ok we need another naked woman."

To me the best exposition in the first season was Bran in the crypts with Osha. It was well shot and directed and quickly got through relatively important information without speeding or feeling heavy handed/forced. Another good example was the scene between Bran and Luwin with the Westeros map. Both scenes quickly explain important narrative details, whereas many of the others don't. I suppose the Ros/Theon one does indeed reveal important information, but then again there were like 3-4 other scenes that had already attempted to establish Theon as a ward, son of the proud Balon Greyjoy etc.

On the Littlefinger scene: Gillen is also over acting throughout the scene, although in some cases his line delivery just comes off lazy. It's a scene I've watched a couple times and now can't get through; I've skipped it multiple times since. IMO it's truly the worst television scene I've seen in a couple years (granted I only watch good shows, but still).

I agree with your general point, but I think the Viserys/Doreah was fantastic. The actor who played Viserys was amazing the whole season, including that scene, and I think it told relevant information (dragons used to exist, house Targaryen used to have them, etc.) in a pretty good way. Plus the actress who played Doreah was the hottest woman on the show.

KingK

a question for those who have seen the whole series to this point: does this show eventually branch off into "its own thing"? The first three episodes felt a lot like what I'd consider to be a poor, or at the very least "just a novelty for fans of the original work", adaption. You know, the sort where they don't have time to really do much more than tell a cliff-notes, shallow version of the original story. That might be a bit harsh, but it was the definite vibe I got from those few episodes.

It is kind of just a direct adaptation that's very true to the book. It made very few changes from the book, and covered most of the main plot lines. I got kind of the same impression that you had, that it was just a shallower cliff-notes version of the book, but I still really enjoyed it because I loved seeing these characters and scenes play out on film.

It isn't the kind of show that I would have thought non-book readers would enjoy. I thought they would just be lost and confused the whole time and not give a shit about a lot of the non-major events/characters that don't have time to be fleshed out on screen, but I do know a lot of people who love it who never read the books, so I don't know.

I think it hits its stride in episode 5

Agreed.

As someone that hadn't read the books (have now) while viewing season 1, the first few episodes of the season were enjoyable, but they were also a spurge of world building and background knowledge and history basically being thrown at the viewer.

Episode 5 hits the gas, driving the seasons plots into gear with an excellent episode, and it never lets up from that point through the end of the season.

TheExodu5

Banned
Rewatching season 1...damn they handled the end of Baelor well. Best scene of the entire season. Even though I've read and seen it several times, it still hits like a fucking truck.

I've been rewatching the first season here and there and a few things came up that I wondered about: Why did Tyrion accompany Snow and co. back to the wall?

also, don't know if this one can be answered, but Visyeris original plan was to have his sister marry into the Dothraki, and use the Dothraki army to take back the crown, but ultimately what made him think the Khal would just hand over the crown to him if this happened?

I've been rewatching the first season here and there and a few things came up that I wondered about: Why did Tyrion accompany Snow and co. back to the wall?

also, don't know if this one can be answered, but Visyeris original plan was to have his sister marry into the Dothraki, and use the Dothraki army to take back the crown, but ultimately what made him think the Khal would just hand over the crown to him if this happened?

Tyrion went with them pretty much to see the sights. At the time he was just bored, nothing much else to it.

As for the beggar king, he was impatient. By all accounts the Khal would have paid his debt in time but thats not how their culture does it.

Edit: To the second part of your question, the Dothraki didnt see kingdoms and property in the same way as other stationary cultures. They would have probably been content with the victory and a large pile of spoils to bring back to their sacred city.

Tyrion went with them pretty much to see the sights. At the time he was just bored, nothing much else to it.

As for the beggar king, he was impatient. By all accounts the Khal would have paid his debt in time but thats not how their culture does it.

Yeah it just seems to me that once they took over, Drogo just would have killed him and crowned himself ruler of Westeros, at least to me.

Pkaz01

Yeah it just seems to me that once they took over, Drogo just would have killed him and crowned himself ruler of Westeros, at least to me.

Well technically they never actually made that agreement. That was just what Viserys thought, to Drogo she was a gift. So he never even planned to actually cross the narrow sea like Ned said they wouldn't.

However, as far as why Viserys thought he would, he doesn't really have any options he has no money or army and the only ally they had was Illyrio who has no power in westeros. Illyrio probably told him this is the best army but more of this will be clearer in the later seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom