• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Australia and recently got a US iTunes account so I could watch Mad Men. Guess I was under the incorrect assumption that all TV shows got put up as quickly :(

q_q

It is kind of just a direct adaptation that's very true to the book. It made very few changes from the book, and covered most of the main plot lines. I got kind of the same impression that you had, that it was just a shallower cliff-notes version of the book, but I still really enjoyed it because I loved seeing these characters and scenes play out on film.

It isn't the kind of show that I would have thought non-book readers would enjoy. I thought they would just be lost and confused the whole time and not give a shit about a lot of the non-major events/characters that don't have time to be fleshed out on screen, but I do know a lot of people who love it who never read the books, so I don't know.

I agree. Not that non-readers can't enjoy the show, just that there is a lot going on that they simply won't understand, even on repeat viewings. Either because stuff happens behind the scenes that they won't catch on to without the world-building and inner dialogue provided in the book, or because it is cut out completely.

/reading the first book atm to revisit the plot
What I noticed so far is that Lady Stark (Catelyn) has really been toned down in the series (in regards to her relationship to Jon; she's a total asshole) and the kids are ought to be younger (the boys mostly) - but older cast is almost a given with adaptions.

It's weird to read the book after the movie/series. So far I've never done it that way. Feels better than the other way round, tbh.
Not sure if I can proceed like this (watching, then reading) - the plot will probably grab me too much.

- Maureen Ryan's review: 'Game of Thrones' Season 2 Review: A Bigger, Better, Bolder Journey Through Westeros
Game of Thrones" has a lot of material to condense and synthesize, and speaking for myself, I care more about the characters than absolute fidelity to the story. But there is good news: The storytelling by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss and their writing staff is increasingly assured and judicious; the first-rate cast continues to mine the full depth of the material; and the show itself is visually commanding, especially in the hands of Alan Taylor, who directed the first two episodes of the season.

pr0cs

It's weird to read the book after the movie/series. So far I've never done it that way. Feels better than the other way round, tbh.
Not sure if I can proceed like this (watching, then reading) - the plot will probably grab me too much.

I did that last season where I watched the show then started reading the books.
The problem is though that once I started reading the books I couldn't stop, especially with so many books..so much content. It felt like I was part of another life since the books engulfed my life for the better part of 2-3 months.
All it did was make the next book seem that much further away and the wait for season two even harder. :)

/reading the first book atm to revisit the plot
What I noticed so far is that Lady Stark (Catelyn) has really been toned down in the series (in regards to her relationship to Jon; she's a total asshole) and the kids are ought to be younger (the boys mostly) - but older cast is almost a given with adaptions.

I think the aging up of the kids was unquestionably a good decision, especially with Robb, Jon, and Dany.

Can you imagine Robb if he was 14-ish? It would just be silly lol.

A couple quick thoughts from James Poniewozik on Twitter:
Probably no time for an advance Game of Thrones review, but I'm with @bastardmachine (Tim Goodman): no slow burn this time, season 2 hits the ground breathing fire.

One more Game of Thrones review-tweet: Dinklage was good last year, but KILLS IT (with a pointy shield) in first 4 eps. #YearofTyrion

- Daily Beast: ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 2 for Dummies (glossary & character gallery, some spoilers)
HBO's fantasy series Game of Thrones returns Sunday for a second season with its jargon and vast cast of characters intact—Jace Lacob's glossary and character gallery explain all!
Probably serves better as a guide if you have questions while you're watching the show, rather than something to read through before you watch S2.

- Short video of Harrington, Dinklage, and Coster-Waldau hanging out for their TV Guide Magazine photo shoot *some spoilers*

- dorkshelf: Game of Thrones Season 2 Preview *some spoilers*
From what we’ve seen Game of Thrones should handily retain its crown as the most ambitious series on television. The sheer difficulty of the attempt results in an often flawed series, but it’s a truly unique product and a consistently riveting one.

Apparently this promo got better ratings when it aired on HBO than the series finale of 'Luck' received (though I can't find an official source).

Good news for Game of Thrones fans, and a cruel final nail in the coffin for Luck fans.
That came from a reliable source but not an official one. Hopefully it's a good indicator that we'll see a jump in the ratings this Sunday.
Kit maybe says too much for those want to remain spoiler free.
Thanks, I added a note to my post.

AngryMoth

Just contemplated how awesome it would be to slip into a coma for a few months so I could watch all of season 2 upon awaking. Hype reaching dangerous levels...

Hmm this is the first piece of media released so far that I'm considering not watching.
I held off on watching them. If you add it all up, it's a decent chunk of the season premiere (6+ minutes), and I figure I want at least some of it to be new and fresh on Sunday. Totally understandable that a lot of people are going to watch them, though.

Altazor

oh FUCK, I couldn't resist and watched them clips.

AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

[first clip]
Drogon looks incredible :O

[fourth clip]
fuck yeah Dolorous Edd! "I was born in a place like this. Later I fell on hard times."

[fifth clip]
man-loving Robb on that scene. Also, THE KING IN THE NORTH.

[sixth clip]
"OUT! ALL OF YOU, OUT!" As charming as ever, Cersei...

- Sky Atlantic's Thronecast: Cast Interview Special *spoilers*
Watch Sky Atlantic chat with the stars of Season 2 of Game of Thrones in this unmissable pre-season special.

Game of Thrones is back for its long-awaited second season, and so is Thronecast: The Official Fan Show for Game of Thrones from Sky Atlantic HD. We recently got the chance to speak to (deep breath): Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), and Nicolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) - all of whom spill on what fans can expect from the explosive new series of this incredible show.
Looks like it's region-locked unless you're in the UK or Ireland.

Meier

After being thoroughly gutted about being fucked over by TWC again with no HBO Go on the 360, I watched something on my iPad last night (started Sucker Punch.. gave up after 7 minutes) and there was a little 30 second clip (ad) for GOT S2 before it started.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I always thought the age of the children in the books was kind of crazy. For the longest time I just assumed they measured years differently.

Youtube copy. (Note that there are series spoilers in the Charles Dance segment.)
It's amazing how all of the cast actually understands their characters. They talk as if they really are their characters. Especially Jaime's actor and Emilia Clarke. I think I also heard Michelle Fairley slip "my son" for a second before going back to saying Robb.

CoK spoiler from the video:
"There was one really interesting scene with Renly, which required lots of special effects.
OH BOYYYYY.

Puddles

Banned
Can't wait, after losing The Walking Dead on Sunday had me bummed, will be awesome to have another show to watch on Sundays.

Yep, and then Breaking Bad starts soon after Game of Thrones ends.

If I can just get into Mad Men, I'll have a pretty good Sunday lineup for the year.

Herla

Nicolaj keeps mentioning (S2)
this scene in episode 7
, but I have no idea of what he might be talking about...I'm really curious now.

RPGCrazied

Yep, and then Breaking Bad starts soon after Game of Thrones ends.

If I can just get into Mad Men, I'll have a pretty good Sunday lineup for the year.

Mad Men doesn't interest me. I watch Once Upon a Time, but I don't think its going to be on much longer.

Falling Skies comes on sometime this summer on Sundays.

Fuck, I cracked and watched the clips from this week's episode. Everything looks and sounds great. The last two clips
Robb, and Tyrion and Cersei
are incredible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom