• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

I kept telling my family that most of the sex scenes weren't in the books and HBO added them because they're HBO and tried to get the point across that I found them as annoying as they did while carefully making sure it didn't sound like I was coming out.

I watched again with my Grandpa, he's a lot more mature than the rest of my family. He really enjoyed it.

I watched it with my sister, she thinks Drogo is hot.

My sister loves Arya. My Mom thinks Sophie Turner (Sansa) is the most beautiful person on the show and Emilia Clarke (Daenerys) a close second but she didn't like Drogo, said he looked like a monster.

It was the repetitiveness of it that was the problem. They used sexposition way too often, there are other ways to exposit, you don't need to do the same thing over and over.

Arment

Really hope they reduce the sexposition this season.

They haven't. It was in the last thread, but there was a interview quote or something saying it was as sex filled as ever.

Personally I was okay with every single sex scene besides the one where Littlefinger is teaching the whores. You have an actor as good as that guy instructing women to play with each others assholes and it isn't even in the actual book? Bleh. Must have been an interesting scene to film and act in. I think the scene was created so Littlefinger could have some kind of monologue later to give us some info we would have gotten through some other means in the book.

Creating Theon's relationship with the red headed whore (and thus more sex scenes) was probably to give Theon more screen time this season.

sbarbati

I just read about (ACoK/ASoS)
Beric being cast (probably late)...but I feel he should have been cast as a much stronger and more serious faced actor. My choice would be someone like Kevin McKidd...
Opinions?

Beric being cast (probably late)...but I feel he should have been cast as a much stronger and more serious faced actor. My choice would be someone like Kevin McKidd...
Opinions?

That would have been a good choice.

It's probably too small of a role for McKidd.
Beric will probably only be in a couple of scenes in the show.

LM4sure

Banned
I just re-subscribed to HBO in preparation for this Sunday!!

On Fios, HBO was actually 50% for the first twelve months, or $8 so I can definitely live with that!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Agreed. Although GRRM's books are great, and I'm glad I read them, I watched season 1 without having read any of them, and I had one of the best experiences with a TV season that I've ever had. I'm honestly a bit jealous of some friends of mine that are about to dive into season 2 without any idea of what's going to happen.

Yeah, I realized this as I was reading ACOK. The moment when (ACOK)
Renly suddenly gets killed
won't just be the same now that I know what's going to happen. Going into the first season without knowing about Jaime and Cersei's incest, Ned's death and the birth of Daenerys's dragons beforehand made the experience that much more special. Now, having read book 2, nothing will surprise me :/.

Yeah, I realized this as I was reading ACOK. The moment when (ACOK)
Renly suddenly gets killed
won't just be the same now that I know what's going to happen. Going into the first season without knowing about Jaime and Cersei's incest, Ned's death and the birth of Daenerys's dragons beforehand made the experience that much more special. Now, having read book 2, nothing will surprise me :/.

I'm going to live vicariously through the non-book peeps and enjoy their surprise at events this season. Can't wait!

gutshot

Opinions?

Beric was just a featured extra in season one and will be recast, although I think McKidd is too big a name for the role.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm glad that I read all the books before watching the TV show. I feel like I would have been lost at a bunch of places and wouldn't have gotten as much out of certain aspects if I hadn't read the book first.
I've said it before, and although I'm glad I read the books since season 1, there is part of me that wished i hadnt as there is something special about watching this show knowing nothing.
At the end of the first season I got together with a group of friends to watch the last episode. We were three book readers and two non-book readers, the discussions that followed were great. It's fun to know how well the series conveys information to people who aren't familiar with Martin's works.

For what it's worth, the two non-book readers I talked to managed to understand all the main plot lines. They just had some minor questions and misunderstandings that they kept asking me to explain, mostly from the early episodes. One curious thing was when the Starks and Robert's entourage are going to King's Landing in the second episode. Back when it aired the non-book readers didn't manage to understand the characters were stationed at an inn at the crossroads. They actually thought the scenes with Joffrey/Sansa/Arya were happening at Winterfell and that the entourage went back there for whatever reason. After I told them they just stopped on the way mid-travel, they said that they got confused because they felt the locations were too similar.

Another funny part of the conversation was when we talked about Dany's arch, me and the non-book readers thought Clarke did a great job on showing how the things she goes through made her a stronger person, but one of my book reader friends thought she was lackluster. The other book reader was ambivalent, but thought she did a good job for the most part too. It's always interesting to me to see how different expectations heavily influence how a person will experience something.

Pretty sure they said in an interview a while back that they have no desire to tone it down.

As in the sex, or the sexposition? I have no problem with sex as long as it isn't poorly done, my problem is with using sex as a crutch for bad writing. If something can't be gotten across without wild sex on screen, perhaps it shouldn't be included in a show

The Littlefinger scene was utterly horrible, as was the acting. And the Prycelle scene from the finale feels so out of place when it follows a series of great scenes from earlier in the episode. In fact nearly every scene that features Ros is weak IMO

Jarmel

Banned
As in the sex, or the sexposition? I have no problem with sex as long as it isn't poorly done, my problem is with using sex as a crutch for bad writing. If something can't be gotten across without wild sex on screen, perhaps it shouldn't be included in a show

The Littlefinger scene was utterly horrible, as was the acting. And the Prycelle scene from the finale feels so out of place when it follows a series of great scenes from earlier in the episode. In fact nearly every scene that features Ros is weak IMO

It's a cheap trick that insults the viewers' intelligence in a series that heavily depends on viewer intelligence.

- TV Guide: On the Set: Game of Thrones Roars Back for a Bloody Season 2 *spoilers*

- WiC.net: The Round Table: Looking Ahead
One of the best things about Game of Thrones is that people who have never or only rarely participated in the online fandom experience have gotten involved with this show and the A Song of Ice and Fire books they are based on. Long-time fantasy fanatics and genre newbies alike bond over the story, and these oddly relatable characters.

That said, I thought it would be fun to chat with a few strong voices from the fandom. I’d like to do this from time to time with different groups. For this first round table, the discussion participants include Tumblefell, Bexclare from ONTD, Elle, Miss, Serena who is a writer and moderator for HBOWatch, Kissed-by-Fire, and the Sookieverse, and finally, XenkanMonk, a frequent commenter here at WiC, who also has an amazing fantasy-centered blog.

gutshot

Re-watching the first season now and I really feel like the "sexposition" thing is so overblown. There are info dumps and exposition all over the place, most of it in scenes with fully clothed characters, but for some reason people like to harp on the handful of sex scenes as particularly offensive. I don't really get it.

It's a cheap trick that insults the viewers' intelligence in a series that heavily depends on viewer intelligence.

Yup

It would have been interesting if Littlefinger's love for Cat was revealed in a more comical matter, like with Renly bringing it up at the end of a council meeting in jest, while a visibly upset Littlefinger tried to play it off; that could free him up to use the "fuck your enemies" line later

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Re-watching the first season now and I really feel like the "sexposition" thing is so overblown. There are info dumps and exposition all over the place, most of it in scenes with fully clothed characters, but for some reason people like to harp on the handful of sex scenes as particularly offensive. I don't really get it.

I agree in general but that Littlefinger scene was still completely indefensible in my opinion.

vehn

I wonder if they will do the "watch an episode a week early on HBO GO" thing for one of the episodes this season

gutshot

I agree in general but that Littlefinger scene was still completely indefensible in my opinion.

The Littlefinger scene was one of my favorites. I just love the implicit parallels between his method of playing the game and the way a whore services a john. Oh, and his last line, "Everything there is."

I didn't like the Littlefinger scene at first, but it's grown on me. Although it's still incredibly awkward to have to watch that scene with a family member. I also like the Pycelle scene too, even if it does feel a little out of place and feels more like a deleted scene.

gutshot

I didn't like the Littlefinger scene at first, but it's grown on me. Although it's still incredibly awkward to have to watch that scene with a family member. I also like the Pycelle scene too, even if it does feel a little out of place and feels more like a deleted scene.

Yeah, my initial reaction was "WTF?" too, but once someone explained the parallels and the intent behind the scene, I was like "OMG I love it."

The Pycelle scene is good too, although I found it funny/interesting that Alan Taylor apparently wasn't the biggest fan of the scene.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The Littlefinger scene was one of my favorites. I just love the implicit parallels between his method of playing the game and the way a whore services a john. Oh, and his last line, "Everything there is."

That's all well and good but I think the scene could have been half the length and had the same or greater impact. It was like 7 minutes long which is a substantial portion of an episode.

Macmanus

I have to agree with the Littlefinger scene sentiment, coupled with your feelings on Ros. She isn't germane to the story but rather a device used to advance it, an info dump if you will.

The entire scene was just embarrassingly hamfisted and almost juvenile in it's visual metaphors. Also Aidan Gillen is really overacting - almost to the point of camp with Baelish's character. Unfortunate because we've seen him do excellent work for HBO in the past.

I also agree that the Prycelle scene feels out of place, but I still enjoyed it. It was simply better acted, and the post coital ramblings of an old man that happened to display a sense of wit was easier to swallow. The stretching at the end added a bit of levity the episode desperately needed - which bore the consequence of making it feel equal parts disjointed.

I guess for me, the problem was that I didn't like most of the info dumps, whether they were sex filled or not; the exposition often came off heavy handed and poorly designed/written. For instance in terms of non-sexposition, Sansa in the throne room; the show had already established that Ned's father and brother had died there, I'm not sure regular viewers cared to be bombarded with more names either. In a similar fashion the sexposition scene with Viserys rattling off dragon names in the tub was also weak to me; as with the kings I don't think the names were necessary, and the entire thing was so odd it just didn't feel like a real conversation. And while I understood the general idea behind Prycelle pretending to be old, his scene with Ros just felt like the writers saying "ok we need another naked woman."

To me the best exposition in the first season was Bran in the crypts with Osha. It was well shot and directed and quickly got through relatively important information without speeding or feeling heavy handed/forced. Another good example was the scene between Bran and Luwin with the Westeros map. Both scenes quickly explain important narrative details, whereas many of the others don't. I suppose the Ros/Theon one does indeed reveal important information, but then again there were like 3-4 other scenes that had already attempted to establish Theon as a ward, son of the proud Balon Greyjoy etc.

On the Littlefinger scene: Gillen is also over acting throughout the scene, although in some cases his line delivery just comes off lazy. It's a scene I've watched a couple times and now can't get through; I've skipped it multiple times since. IMO it's truly the worst television scene I've seen in a couple years (granted I only watch good shows, but still).

scosher

Other than the Littlefinger scene and his two whores finger banging each other (which I agree was easily the most jarring and unnecessary scene), there isn't actually a lot of "wild sex" on the show. Most of the sexposition were in post-coital scenes.

Spartacus has a lot of gratuitous sex. Hell, there's seemingly a random pan through a whorehouse scene in Spartacus every week.

GoT just had a lot of gratuitous nudity that was used for obligatory info dumps. Most of them felt out of place except for Viserys opening up to Doreah.

I do hope that they'll think of more clever ways to dump information, but it may not even be as necessary in S2. S1 had to do a lot of groundwork in establishing the characters, their relationship, and the world, while S2 can spend more time on just developing the characters and pushing the plot.

Ikael

The problem that I have with sexposition is that it centered in irrelevant issues, while omitting huge imporant chunks of backstory. For example, they go in depth dettail about dragons (types, rituals, etc), which are at this point a decorative element of the series, while completely omitting a proper explanation about Robert's rebellion, a piece of the story vital to understand the whole legitimacy (or lack of thereof) of the Iron Throne. I had to explain it by myself to my non - reader friends in order for them to get what the hell was all that "ye old good times" talk between Ned and Robert, or what are the Tagaryens and why they are a treath to Robert. I think taht HBO did not made a good job when deciding what was relevant backstory, and what was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom