• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
My brother reads the books but haven't had the chance to delve into the show yet. I just showed him the Seven Devils trailer and it got me hyped all over again. Can't stop listening to the song either.

CoK spoiler from the video:
"There was one really interesting scene with Renly, which required lots of special effects.
OH BOYYYYY.
HcTUR.gif

Nicolaj keeps mentioning (S2)
this scene in episode 7
, but I have no idea of what he might be talking about...I'm really curious now.
Iirc, [ACoK]
A lot of Jaime material from S2 isn't from the books. They added a bunch of new scenes and possibly moved a few things from ASoS back into S2.

apana

From looking at some of the other clips and these preview clips of the episodes I definitely think they aren't just using or remixing the old soundtrack, there will be brand new music.

sharbhund

Nicolaj keeps mentioning (S2)
this scene in episode 7
, but I have no idea of what he might be talking about...I'm really curious now.

ACOK
They'll probably show Tyrion's attempt to free Jaime,
but I don't remember exactly when that took place in the book.

From looking at some of the other clips and these preview clips of the episodes I definitely think they aren't just using or remixing the old soundtrack, there will be brand new music.

Did you assume that they wouldn't be recording new music for the season?

Westeroes.org cited the score as being a significant improvement over the first season in their impressions of the few four episodes. I'm excited to hear it.

Damn you HBO for releasing clips from the second episode! I cracked on the clips from The North Remembers, but I will not crack on The Night Lands clips.

neoism

I'm soooo fucking happy I one shotted this show first season in one day, blind, never read a sentence, of the books. I can't wait for season 2 only reason to own HBO.

anaron

Did you assume that they wouldn't be recording new music for the season?

Westeroes.org cited the score as being a significant improvement over the first season in their impressions of the few four episodes. I'm excited to hear it.

Damn you HBO for releasing clips from the second episode! I cracked on the clips from The North Remembers, but I will not crack on The Night Lands clips.

Me too. That along with the general direction of the show were things I'd say needed to most improve so I am very pleased to hear they - allegedly - have.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Tyrion's little chortle right after
telling Cersei that he is the new Hand
was amazing. Cersei's
outrage
was also pretty damn impressive.

Pissy Cersei is best Cersei.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't know if it's in the pre-release material but I hope they made a hilarious scene out of (ACOK)
Cersei happily hugging Tyrion and spinning him around after she hears about Stannis having Storm's End under siege

Wray

Watched 3 of those clips. Dany, and both Tyrion ones. Cannot wait. I think Dinklage and Lena are gonna be great this season.

bengraven

The fuck...too soon. :/

Edit: fuck, I have to read them and oh man, the acting is even better this time around. It's like everyone relaxed and was like "this isn't going to be a one season thing, you can bring your A game if you want". I actually got comfortable with each one...I didn't expect it to end, I was already immersed in just a few seconds.

The third scene...

KingK

Holy shit, Lena Heady is bringing it this season judging by those clips. I was pretty critical of her in the first season, but she's really pulled it together it seems. She's actually a believable Cersei now.

_Isaac

Oh man. I bet (ACoK)
that ship battle is going to have to be neutered as hell. That's way too big of an undertaking for this show. They didn't even do that first battle with Tyrion in season one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I always had Varys pegged as a little more -- I don't know -- mischievous, maybe? He's so solemn in the TV show.

Oh man. I bet (ACoK)
that ship battle is going to have to be neutered as hell. That's way too big of an undertaking for this show. They didn't even do that first battle with Tyrion in season one.

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping expectations low on that one.

bengraven

I always had Varys pegged as a little more -- I don't know -- mischievous, maybe? He's so solemn in the TV show.

He had a more flamboyant flair in the books that they toned down. I always pictured him as a Boy George type, chubby and bald but with crazy, gorgeous outfits, jewelry and piercings.

I really love the HBO Varys though. He won me over pretty quick.

The mischief is still there, but it's more of a wicked, subtle threat than a gleeful open mockery.

Plus (light series spoiler)
it fits his personality in later books more

Cersei definitely seems improved this season. A bit of overacting but at least she's showing some emotion. Her paranoia and cockiness are quite palpable in those scenes.

bengraven

Cersei definitely seems improved this season. A bit of overacting but at least she's showing some emotion. Her paranoia and cockiness are quite palpable in those scenes.

Yeah, like I said earlier, it kind of feels like everyone is feeling more comfortable bringing their A-game to this.

Or they realized "holy shit, you can get a fucking EMMY for this fantasy shit?".

She still wears curtains though.

The first season will start airing in Denmark on the 14th of April. I am exited. I never read the books, does the show compare well to the books?

The show is incredibly respectful and very faithful to the source material. And it's really well done. You're in for a treat. Just stay out of these threads until you finish season 1 :)

I still wish they just called the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" and then labeled each individual season with the respective books title as a subtitle.

I still wish they just called the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" and then labeled each individual season with the respective books title as a subtitle.

Why does it matter? A Song of Ice and Fire isn't even a more suitable title for the series written so far, and it tells you nothing about the shows content.

Nah, it wouldn't have gained an audience. It would have been HBO's version of Terriers.

Oh I understand why they didn't go that route, completely.

Would've been a nice touch for the Blu Ray/DVD release to have it setup that way on the spine or something.

Pipe dreams aside, already have the DVR set for the 1st since I have plans for that evening already

What successful television show has ever changed it's name every season? ASOIAF is far too long a title and doesn't tell new viewers anything. Game Of Thrones is a much smaller, more concise name that also does a good job explaining a major theme of the show.

Why does it matter? A Song of Ice and Fire isn't even a more suitable title for the series written so far, and it tells you nothing about the shows content.

Doesn't matter at all, just a small annoyance in regards to the source material that has no actual bearing on the obvious quality of the show.

A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones
A Song of Ice and Fire: A Clash of Kings
Etc.

Let's the viewer know that they are separate tales that are unified under one major story.

A Game of Thrones Season 1
A Game of Thrones Season 2
Etc.

May cause some confusion with those who aren't fans of the source material, don't frequent blogs/forums/etc. and lead them to believe each individual season is a portion of the first book.

I'm sure there'll be a ton of custom cover art made for the series regardless.

Yeah he was great. I hope Dinklage gets bumped up to the best actor category so one of these excellent supporting performances from the other actors can also be up for best supporting actor at the Emmy's.

I think I read in one of the interviews a few weeks back that Dinklage and HBO decided on Supporting Actor again for season 2, which I think is a bit of a shame because it reduces the chance of getting another supporting actor nom for the show.

What successful television show has ever changed it's name every season? ASOIAF is far too long a title and doesn't tell new viewers anything. Game Of Thrones is a much smaller, more concise name that also does a good job explaining a major theme of the show.

Like I said I completely understand why they did it, I guess if they had gone with a title that wasn't of one of the books it'd bother me a lot less.

GoT is also the title of one of the books.

Also, changing the name and changing the subtitle each season are two different things but I digress.

Pkaz01

Doesn't matter at all, just a small annoyance in regards to the source material that has no actual bearing on the obvious quality of the show.

A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones
A Song of Ice and Fire: A Clash of Kings
Etc.

That would be bad because each season isn't a copy of each book. To name it as such implies that they would be the same but even in season 1 some things have been moved up from book 2.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Oh wow Tyrion was badass there.
I'm not Ned Stark. I know the way this game is played. Threaten me again and I will throw you into the sea..

That would be bad because each season isn't a copy of each book. To name it as such implies that they would be the same but even in season 1 some things have been moved up from book 2.

For the most part, they are. At least according to Benioff & Weiss (Executive producers & head writers).

Changes have been minimal at best. The major plot points will remain intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom