• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's where we differ. I loved most of the Arya changes up to this point, cause the tension the show added between Arya/Tywin was brilliant...but then it all but fizzled out with this episode. The previous episode, it seemed like Tywin was on the verge of unraveling Arya's identity, or at the very least, he sensed her importance. But all that buildup was done away with, by a simple, "leave her here with Gregor, he needs a cupbearer." I can understand Arya not naming Tywin because he was essentially the one who saved her and her friends from a grisly death by torture, but you have to shake your head at Ja'qen being conveniently away when she finally does want to stop him...especially when the last episode had her contemplating shoving a knife in the back of his neck.

I liked the Arya/Tywin stuff, but there was maybe too much of it, and as you said it went nowhere. Maybe if Arya had been away from Tywin for even one week to experience the horrors of Harrenhal, or hell leave Arya with the Mountain for a week.

I'm worrying we've seen the last of Brienne and Jamie for this season. I'm approaching the next 2 episodes as if (ep.9 spoilers and maybe 10 and ACOK, why not?)
Ep 9 is nothing but Blackwater and ep. 10 is: Jon v. Halfhand, House of the Undying, Robb/Jeyne resolution, Tyrion recovering, Tywin taking over at King's Landing

Can they fit all that + Jamie and Brienne in ep. 10 comfortably?

endre

What will Tyrion do with the pig shit light it on fire or block the gate with it?

Also, here is to hoping they will make better use of dragon-glass in the tv show then in the books.

Randdalf

Other than the Jaime scene, Stannis scenes and the Qhorin scenes this episode was a bit of a disappointment. I don't even know where they're going with the whole Robb story anymore. A lot of the dialogue this season has been distinctly awkward compared to the first season, I've noticed, especially so in the Robb scenes.

Amir0x

Banned
Benioff: First of all, we almost had no battle at all. For budgetary reasons we came very, very close to having all the action take place off-screen, the way plays have handled battle scenes for a few thousand years.

Given how good Lena and Sophie are, we could probably have made a decent episode, but we didn’t want to do it that way. Last year we had to cut a battle we wanted to shoot, and the Battle of Blackwater Bay is far more important. To our minds, the entire season builds to this clash, and if we didn’t see any of it, we were undercutting the story and short-changing the audience.
As we’ve mentioned before, we went pleading to HBO for more money. We made our case why we needed the battle and they obliged. That allowed us to do a battle. It did not allow us to do the battle from A Clash of Kings. It would be difficult for a $200 million feature to do justice to the battle from the book. We didn’t have a chance; there just wasn’t enough time on the schedule or money in the budget (even after our Blackwater bonus).

Jesus Christ, that makes the budget sound horrific. If they had not shown the Blackwater, forget it. I guess I can forget about them showing <ASoS+ spoilers>
The Battle at the Wall with any faithfulness

HBO, don't fuck your show next season. It needs an extra 50 mil per year

endre

I guess I can forget about them showing <ASoS+ spoilers> The Battle at the Wall with any faithfulness

I had given up on that a "long" time ago. It is a bit easier with lower expectations. Luckily the source allows good character development and interesting story telling. So i guess it is not a huge loss.

apana

Nobody cares, pull the damn tie

God just get naked already and end this scene

shut the fuck of jeyne

fucking snore

A story about a little boy almost getting drowned gets you hard? You're one fucked up son of a bitch Robb.

OMG, I love you guys. Anyways I wouldn't mind them butchering the story if it actually resulted in a great episode, but instead we probably got the weakest episode of the season. I know people don't like to hear complaints but David and Dan are getting a little too carefree. [ACOK]
Qhorin and Jon's storyline has been hacked to pieces and for what?

Lax Mike

Neo Member
I'm worrying we've seen the last of Brienne and Jamie for this season. I'm approaching the next 2 episodes as if (ep.9 spoilers and maybe 10 and ACOK, why not?)
Ep 9 is nothing but Blackwater and ep. 10 is: Jon v. Halfhand, House of the Undying, Robb/Jeyne resolution, Tyrion recovering, Tywin taking over at King's Landing

Can they fit all that + Jamie and Brienne in ep. 10 comfortably?

I doubt we'll see much more of Jaime and Brienne this season, if we get to see them at all.

Personally, it seems that the finale will (ASOS)
conclude with the White Walkers' attack on the Fist of the First Men, considering how they've been subtly building up to it with Sam explaining "Three horns means White Walkers", and him finding the stash of Dragonglass, which could have easily been pushed to next season. I don't see why they would continue to show Sam if they weren't building up to something, and it should really throw a curveball at the TV audience since this is a huge event, and no one suspects Sam's story as being anything more than support for Jon's journey.

And you have to remember, the finale, being titled "Valar Morghulis" is going to focus on Arya to a large degree as well. So I'm sure that we'll see him change his face.

So essentially, while "Blackwater" is going to focus on the gritty, bloody, realistic aspects of the story (Focusing on the Battle of Blackwater), the finale will focus on the more mystical aspects (House of the Undying, Jaqen swapping faces, etc.).

Timbuktu

I think i was write in thinking that pretty much every actress has a naked clause in their contracts, never used quite as well as in thtis ep though. Otherwise didn't think it was particularly noteworthy, but the end felt very bity, one minute scenes just to to cover all the bases.

Jon and Dany are definitely a weaker than in the books and don't have the charisma to really give their far-off settings relevance and weight. In the books you sorta know that they would be the key characters, but here it has been Ned, then Theon, Tryion and Arya perhaps. The casting have been so good across the board, a shame their kinda messed up the biggest ones.

Ah well, can't change that, on we go. I'm hoping for more deviations from the books. A big break at a major plot point in the next season or two could be awesome.

scosher

Jon and Dany are definitely a weaker than in the books and don't have the charisma to really give their far-off settings relevance and weight. In the books you sorta know that they would be the key characters, but here it has been Ned, then Theon, Tryion and Arya perhaps. The casting have been so good across the board, a shame their kinda messed up the biggest ones.

Eh, technically, we only think this because they're our eyes at the Wall and across the sea, and just by having a narrative that's so far removed from the rest of the game makes them key characters. Jon is just as stupid and Dany is just as naive in the books. The lack of internal monologue is definitely hurting them though and the spoken lines they are given really don't highlight the inner turmoil in their decisions. So I suppose because of that, they do come across as more stupid and more whiny/naive on the show.

I remember when first reading CoK, I was bored the most by Jon and Dany chapters, so you can say the show really isn't much different in that respect.

What will Tyrion do with the pig shit light it on fire or block the gate with it?

I'm curious how they're going to frame Blackwater as a battle. I'm trying to remember how it played out in the book and what elements they keep or cut(ACOK Blackwater spoilers):
1. Stannis has his ships come into Blackwater Rush from the Bay, with Sallador Saan staying out in the Bay watching their back.
2. Stannis has most of his knights and army on the southern shore of the Blackwater, waiting for the bigger ships to get in to ferry his men across.
3. Tyrion and company have a smaller fleet in as basically a decoy for Stannis' fleet, to lure them in but they also have the smaller boats loaded with Wildfire.
4. Tyrion and company batter the ships in Blackwater rush with normal fire and wildfire and use the Whores (the big trebuchets or catapults) as well (the Antler Men!)
5. The Wildfire loaded boats start blowing up, knocking out Davos (and presumably killing his son in the show, I'm guessing).
6. As the Wildfire gets going, the Chain gets raised, trapping the fleet.
7. Meanwhile, the Wildfire doesn't spread evenly and so some of Stannis' galleys are able to land and some of Stannis' troops from the southern shore are able to land by the Mud Gate.
8. Meanwhile, more of Stannis' troops have crossed farther up the Blackwater and land by the King's Gate with a battering ram. This forces Tyrion to go to the King's Gate where he finds the Hound, who is losing it after fighting amidst the Wildfire and he basically bails.
9. Tyrion rallies the men at the King's Gate and heads out to defend the wall there. He breaks up Stannis' men at the King's Gate and makes his way down towards the Mud Gate.
10. Tyrion notices the bridge across the Blackwater made of broken up ships Stannis' men are crossing and starts fighting there, only for Mandon Moore to slash his nose off and Pod saves the day.
11. Meanwhile, Cersei has gone into fatalistic drunken despair and ordered Joff back to the Keep.
12. Lancel comes into the Keep complaining that after Joffrey left the walls, the Gold Cloaks are starting to desert, Stannis' men have control of the riverfront and mobs and rioting is erupting all over the city.
13. Tywin and the Tyrells storm in on Stannis' troops with Tywin's forces taking out Stannis' forces on the riverbank and the Tyrells coming up from the south to take Stannis' forces in the rear.
End battle

Wondering what they'll cut or condense for the show. ACOK
Probably some of the big ships, most likely the catapults and riots too maybe? Probably just focus everything on the Mud Gate too. Although it looks like from the previews that they're having Stannis himself get in on the combat, which is something he very clearly does not do in the books, as he's referred to as more like Tywin who commands from afar.

Anyone else bothered by the White Walkers in show portrayal after reading the books?

Yeah, they seem too savage on the show. I always pictured the actual White Walkers/Others as sort of like spooky Ice Nazgul. The show White Walkers seem more like Wildling versions of Predator or something, fairly beast like.

frequency

There have been a lot of pages since I was last in this thread, so I don't know what the general opinion about this last episode was. It seems it's a little negative?

I liked this last episode. Nothing major happened, but it seemed to be setting up for the finale (although that's still another episode away). It was a kind of low tension episode but it got a lot of stuff out there. It was kind of nice to go a slower pace for once. I don't know. I enjoyed it more than the last two (It might be because we had less Dany this ep than the last two :p).

My only real complaint is that it could have used more Jon.

Thronecast for this week is up for those of you in the UK:

- Thronecast Episode 8: The Official Fan Show
Thronecast takes a look at Episode 8 of Game of Thrones, "The Prince of Winterfell" - including an exclusive interview with John Bradley, aka Samwell Tarly - and a cooking lesson from the authors of "A Feast of Ice and Fire," the Game of Thrones cookbook
- Game of Thrones: Uncut John Bradley Interview
It's yet another Thronecast uncut exclusive - this time, an amazing chat with John Bradley, who plays Samwell Tarly.

I'll post youtube links later if they're up.

Timbuktu

Eh, technically, we only think this because they're our eyes at the Wall and across the sea, and just by having a narrative that's so far removed from the rest of the game makes them key characters. Jon is just as stupid and Dany is just as naive in the books. The lack of internal monologue is definitely hurting them though and the spoken lines they are given really don't highlight the inner turmoil in their decisions. So I suppose because of that, they do come across as more stupid and more whiny/naive on the show.

I remember when first reading CoK, I was bored the most by Jon and Dany chapters, so you can say the show really isn't much different in that respect.

I guess, maybe the 'Ice and Fire' title of the series put the focus on them more. There are also not hints in the show as to Jon's parentage, i never really enjoyed Dany's chapters, especially in later books, but i still imagined them to be natural leaders, at least look like they can be one day.

bengraven

I think for the Kingslayer and Brienne, this is the last we'll see of them until next year. That shot of them rowing away reeks of the "until next time" shots from last year's finale.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He had a scene with Joffrey earlier in the season.

I thought it was Tyrion.

That'll be a quick way for the show to get cancelled, Rome-style. The budget's already at $69 million or thereabouts.
Unrealistic expectations about how much they should spend on the show are starting to become a drag. There's literally no medium anywhere beyond books where you can just have any event occur at any time.

I thought it was Tyrion.

Neither, Alliser Thorne has not been in this season.

(Unless I'm going crazy)

Here's UK link. The guy that usually rips them onto youtube didn't post it last week. Not sure what's going on there.

Here's a youtube copy of the John Bradley interview for this week if you want to check that out.

Had to watch a minute to check that his teeth weren't the teeth that Sam has in the show. I know it's medieval times, but his teeth are amazingly bad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Neither, Alliser Thorne has not been in this season.

(Unless I'm going crazy)

Now that you mention it, I think I am imagining a scene which occurred solely in COK as having happening within the show to the point in my mind to the point I can picture see the scene, but it never actually occurred.

Amir0x

Banned
That'll be a quick way for the show to get cancelled, Rome-style. The budget's already at $69 million or thereabouts.

man it's got 4 million or so viewers plus the first season sold really well on DVD/Blu-Ray. They can afford it, it's keeping me subscribed after all

Angry Grimace

man it's got 4 million or so viewers plus the first season sold really well on DVD/Blu-Ray. They can afford it, it's keeping me subscribed after all

I don't think HBO makes economic decisions based on whether Amir0x is paying for his HBO sub or whether they actually have the money to put into it. Adding the kind of money you're requesting isn't going to magically make the series show a bunch of large-scale battles or anything and putting the show a lot closer to the "not profitable" line for no real reason doesn't seem like a great idea.

Jesus Christ, that makes the budget sound horrific. If they had not shown the Blackwater, forget it. I guess I can forget about them showing <ASoS+ spoilers>
The Battle at the Wall with any faithfulness

HBO, don't fuck your show next season. It needs an extra 50 mil per year

I don't know about 50 mil extra, but at least 100 mil total for seaons 3 and 4 i think would work. The stuff we are seeing for the blackwater preview look fantastic. If they can do that on an 80 mil season budget, 200 mil for 2 seasons sounds reasonable to me. Save the big budgets for the
battle at the wall and Dany's attack on the slavers. I don't think the red wedding needs a big budget as that can be done having a small number of cast members. I wholly expect a fight similar to Jaime/Ned in season 1 for the red wedding. It'll just be Cat, Robb and a couple of freys while everyone else goes off to help edmure bed his wife

endre

but at least 100 mil total for seaons 3 and 4 i think would work.

Wouldn't that be equal (or less) to the first season budget? Or are you talking about a 100 million extra for the two seasons?

The Game of Thrones's budget has been compared to that of the TV series Rome.[9] The pilot reportedly cost HBO between US$5 and 10 million,[8] and the total budget for the first season has been estimated at US$50&#8211;60 million.[10] In the second season, the show obtained a 15% increase in budget in order to be able to stage the most important battle in the "clash of kings", the civil war that is the season's focus.[11]

apana

I think the budget for season 1 was around 60 million and for season 2 it was about 70 million. A jump to roughly 80 million for season 3 and 90 million for season 4 would be good. To tell you the truth I don't really care so much about the budget, all I really hope for is that they don't hack important storylines to pieces like they did this season.

bengraven

On Thorne:

We see onscreen that Tyrion is informed of Thorne waiting to speak with him. Tyrion remembers how much of a douche he is and says he doesn't believe in snarks, etc, and won't meet with him.

Same scene happened in Clash:
only there was a scene afterwards where Tyrion meets with Thorne, who's holding a decayed hand of a wight and he's laughed out of court.

Alliser himself doesn't appear in this season, I'm fairly certain.

endre

On Thorne:

We see onscreen that Tyrion is informed of Thorne waiting to speak with him. Tyrion remembers how much of a douche he is and says he doesn't believe in snarks, etc, and won't meet with him.

Same scene happened in Clash:
only there was a scene afterwards where Tyrion meets with Thorne, who's holding a decayed hand of a wight and he's laughed out of court.

Alliser himself doesn't appear in this season, I'm fairly certain.

F. finally. So at least I am not losing my mind. I searched for this info without any success and concluded I am remembering wrong.

Anyone else bothered by the White Walkers in show portrayal after reading the books?

We've only seen them three times on the show, and only twice in any real meaningful capacity. I personally like how they are letting us know that the Walkers are a threat and real, but not showing The Shark.

endre

We've only seen them three times on the show, and only twice in any real meaningful capacity. I personally like how they are letting us know that the Walkers are a threat and real, but not showing The Shark.

I meant their looks.

Book:

The Others appear in the prologue to AGoT as tall and gaunt with flesh pale as milk and blue eyes, deeper and bluer than human eyes, burning like ice. The White Walker who married the Night's King is similarly described as having skin as pale as the moon and eyes like blue stars. Old Nan declares them to be cold dead things, hating all life, but in an email to the comic-book artist Tommy Patterson GRRM recently wrote: 'The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful&#8230; think, oh&#8230; the Sidhe made of ice, something like that&#8230; a different sort of life&#8230; inhuman, elegant, dangerous.'

They wear reflective armor that shifts in color with every step rather like the stealth armor once said to have been worn by the Children of the Forest.

TV show:

Other_HBO_WhiteWalker.jpg

Imagine the Night's King falling in love of these from the show.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night's_King

At least I imagine them differently according to the books. might be wrong there.

HBO should cancel some of their smaller shows and funnel those budgets into Game of Thrones. I'd be perfectly fine with them cancelling Veep and Girls if it meant increasing the budget of Game of Thrones. People in this thread have really unrealistic expectations, I must say. Wanting HBO to increase the budget by 50 million, or even 25 million, is asking for too much.

Solo

Definitely a pure setup episode, but I enjoyed it. It's too bad Robb doesn't get more screentime because I find him consistently one of the better performances and one of the few likable characters. Kind of a shame that Tywin/Arya fun time is over as they had such great chemistry. Next week will hopefully deliver, but with a $10M budget, I suspect many here will not be satisfied with the battle.

AngryMoth

Can we all agree that Tamzin Merchant probably would have been better than Emilia Clark?
I don't get the Emila Clarke hate, she was great last season. Okay, maybe she's overacted some lines, but let's face it, she hasn't had much to work with this year.
People were mentioning LOTR and even Troy in anticipation for next weeks battle,

this is still tv guys,
Yeah, everyone should read the interview with the show runners that Cornballer posted. Really good insight into the process and the difficulties of adapting something of such huge scale. Good for setting realistic expectations, but it also got me really excited. I actually like that they're focusing on character povs to capture the chaotic nature of battle, as opposed to be LOtR style Birdseye shots, feels very true to the spirit of the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom