• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nlroh

I don't get the Emilia hate. I thought she was amazing last season, and while this year she has been kind of a one note is because of the script. The writing on her scenes has been awful this year.

jett

D-Member
I agree, it's not Emilia's fault, it's the writing. And the writing on her side of things has been mostly new.

People were mentioning LOTR and even Troy in anticipation for next weeks battle,

this is still tv guys,

Honestly I don't know what kind of expectations to have for this thing. The battle is supposed to take up the entire episode, right?

Dany

Banned
I don't get the Emilia hate. I thought she was amazing last season, and while this year she has been kind of a one note is because of the script. The writing on her scenes has been awful this year.

She comes off weaker this season than the last.

Kuroyume

Banned
I just want to say that the Robb scenes this season have been a complete fucking waste. I'd rather have Jayne just randomly pop up like she does in the books. I thought having more scenes for him this season would be a good idea because we might get a glimpse of some battles and him fighting but we got like a 2 minute scene of him out on the rain as Greywind attacked two guys. Hell, they didn't even show Greywind's carnage. I so don't care for the romance between him and Jayne. So freaking boring. Not to mention it's a weak introduction to their relationship.

Btw, given how different the Harrenhal stuff was do you guys think
Jaqhen changed his face? I thought I read in an interview that they were going to show it but how are they going to get around to that now? What will be the set up? I doubt anyone living saw him kill those guards. What would be the point of changing your face?

Nlroh

. The battle is supposed to take up the entire episode, right?

I suppose we will get some Daenerys scenes. I'm not sure how this is going to end, since including her could destroy the pacing of the battle.

She comes off weaker this season than the last.
To be honest, even in the book her storyline was weak.

Forkball

HBO should cancel some of their smaller shows and funnel those budgets into Game of Thrones. I'd be perfectly fine with them cancelling Veep and Girls if it meant increasing the budget of Game of Thrones. People in this thread have really unrealistic expectations, I must say. Wanting HBO to increase the budget by 50 million, or even 25 million, is asking for too much.

The main character of Girls should play Yara, I would love to see the reactions.

Lakitu

st5fu

Exactly. Any fool should be able to see she hasn't had much to work with this year.

I wonder how many people will simply not tune in due to the holiday, and just assume "the battle will just be blacked out anyway, I'll watch it later."

apana

I agree, it's not Emilia's fault, it's the writing. And the writing on her side of things has been mostly new.

Honestly I don't know what kind of expectations to have for this thing. The battle is supposed to take up the entire episode, right?

I think they said [ACOK and Season 2]
it was fifteen minutes long. I'm not sure if that means 15 minutes of pure big budget battle though. They may include scenes of preparations and speeches in that 15 minutes.

New promo

A mix of old a new footage, but damn that new footage looks good.
It's been posted a couple of times already. Good trailer, though.
I think they said [ACOK and Season 2]
it was fifteen minutes long. I'm not sure if that means 15 minutes of pure big budget battle though. They may include scenes of preparations and speeches in that 15 minutes.
That was supposedly a mistranslation. There's a few comments on that here and here.

apana

Emilia Clarke was and is fantastic, she is a true dragon. I loved the performance by the actor who plays Jorah in episode 9, was kind of moving actually. Just give these fantastic actors room to act and this show works much better, the show runners don't need to come up with pointless plot changes. If [ACOK]
House of Undying is in episode 9, then it may turn out to be a one hour special effects orgy considering blackwater will also be there.

It's been posted a couple of times already. Good trailer, though.
That was supposedly a mistranslation. There's a few comments on that here and here.

Oh I see. So we are getting [ACOK]
one hour battle. Though it may not be entirely inaccurate to say that the full "battle" meaning the special effects and swords part is 16-20 minutes considering all the in between stuff that you have to cover.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder how many people will simply not tune in due to the holiday, and just assume "the battle will just be blacked out anyway, I'll watch it later."

...what? Why would anyone do or think that?

Obv huge series spoilers
You might be underestimating Jaime's anti-hero turn in the season(s) to come and his likeability when put next to psycho AFFC Cersei. I imagine his popularity with non-book readers to be something like Eric from True Blood, the bad guy that's not totally bad. (FWIW, Jamie is my current favorite character in the books). Plus, as long as you have Tyrion around, they execute Ramsay/Reek well and you have badass of all badasses Wyman Manderly, I think the show will continue to be compelling.
He'll be compelling, but even he stops doing anything interesting eventually. He's kind of just around, still training with his other hand but not doing a great deal

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
He'll be compelling, but even he stops doing anything interesting eventually. He's kind of just around, still training with his other hand but not doing a great deal

I think that's the real point about this story. Everyone stops doing anything interesting eventually. This is why in a lot of ways I find the show better 'raw' entertainment. Less waiting for someone to do something.

And anyway, if you want to talk about what non-readers are going to be must shocked/confused/muddled about given what they've seen now, it isn't the obvious one, its (big ADWD spoiler)
Bran turns into a tree. A tree. Try telling someone that now with a straight face. Then tell them The Redding Wedding. And see what has the more fun reaction.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

well he didn't really get to do much post-SOS.

I think that's the real point about this story. Everyone stops doing anything interesting eventually. This is why in a lot of ways I find the show better 'raw' entertainment. Less waiting for someone to do something.

And anyway, if you want to talk about what non-readers are going to be must shocked/confused/muddled about given what they've seen now, it isn't the obvious one, its (big ADWD spoiler)
Bran turns into a tree. A tree. Try telling someone that now with a straight face. Then tell them The Redding Wedding. And see what has the more fun reaction.
what? this happened?

HeWGR.jpg

JerkShep

Don't you think non-readers are going to feel
underwhelmed (in spoiler, just to be safe)
by the long anticipated Blackwater battle?
(series, BIG spoilers)
the battle decides the winner of the War of the Five Kings, but you can understand that only knowing what happens in ASOS. For a non-reader I think the reaction could be something like "so what?"
Robb is still somewhere doing something against the Lannister
Stannis has lost the battle but oh well, him, Davos and Melisandre are still alive, nothing changed from the beginning of the season
Nothing changes for the Greyjoys
None of notice die in King's Landing, especially not Joffrey. And most of the amazing stuff like the chain are probably gone in the TV series
It's really difficult to convey the strenght of a Tyrell-Lannister alliance andthe definitive failure for Stannis. Stannis side needed a lot more screentime.

This was a nice touch. She's wearing it in her scene with Theon in season 1 (episode 5), and Theon notices it and comments that the dwarf is a good tipper. ("I guess gold is cheap for a Lannister.")

iApwi.jpg

gdt

I frankly hope they change some book events, and
give us at least one moral character to root for.

S3/4 should have

SOS
Jaime, Arya, Jon, Davos, Robb, Cat

Lots of goodies to go around.

/cue long debate about the first name on my list

(ADWD spoiler)
lol, I think I'm still in denial about that one, that will take some interesting turns. He is going to be a tree, and we are going to have all these scenes of Theon and Jon etc. looking at trees and wondering why the tree is talking

They are doing a pretty poor job of showing his powers at the moment

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, there's no chance of them putting that into this television series. None.

That's beyond ridiculous. I mean, there's ridiculous, and then there's that.

I can't wait for ADWD/AFFC to see how they adapt them. They're going to have to alter the hell out of them, and I'm not 100% that they'll even be able to alter them for the better. It'll be interesting for sure.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I finished up season 1, shortly after finishing up the first book. Will hold off on the 2nd season till I'm done with the book.

Overall the series is very well done. Like the look of the various cities, and The Wall. Love the cast (with a few exceptions). Also thought it was smart to make Jon and Rob older than the books. I did the first book via Audio Book, and the guy who did the narration and voices was amazing. Credit to the show for not making me miss his voices.

Dislikes:
-Vaes Dothrak. For all the high production values, it seemed really cheap. You never get a good view of the Mother of Mountains (doesn't even appear on the opening map). Everything seemed confined to one tent set they just redressed.
-Cersei. I just don't care for the actress. I've seen and liked her in other things, but she does not fit the look for this role.
-Nudity for the sake of nudity. It's in the book, and it fits, but all too often it seemed like they just tossed it into the background or into scenes in places it wasn't in the book, just becasue they could.
-Pacing. There were several scenes where the lines were read by characters in one long sentence. No pauses between character lines, like they were trying to get through the scene as soon as possible (Ned's first small council meeting for one).

I am also very thankful I didn't read much about the show and never knew Sean Bean played Ned. Would have totally spoiled it for me.

endre

^At least Cersei improves in S2.

I am also very thankful I didn't read much about the show and never knew Sean Bean played Ned. Would have totally spoiled it for me.

Sean Bean doesn't come of as a good Eddard Stark. It's like he tries to much to be this humble and honorable character.

Kammie

Yeah, there's no chance of them putting that into this television series. None.

That's beyond ridiculous. I mean, there's ridiculous, and then there's that.
Dude, you really shouldn't be spoiling the story for yourself like this. Read the books... they're worth it.

^At least Cersei improves in S2.

Sean Bean doesn't come of as a good Eddard Stark. It's like he tries to much to be this humble and honorable character.

Wait, is this a popular opinion around here? I STRONGLY disagree with this. Ned, ultimately, WAS an honorable character in the books, and I always imagined someone akin to Bean playing him in a live-action version.

Wouldn't that actually be easier for them? Since it's mostly character development?

Two books as one split into two seasons.

There are too many locations and too many characters for it to work on a TV budget. And there's also the problem that very little about those books would make for compelling television. ADWD in particular is essentially unfilmable. They are going to have to cut out a ton of stuff and restructure everything.

endre

Wait, is this a popular opinion around here? I STRONGLY disagree with this. Ned, ultimately, WAS an honorable character in the books, and I always imagined someone akin to Bean playing him in a live-action version.

That is the vibe I got on second re-watch. EDIT: I did not say Ned is a dishonorable character, only that SB seemed to try to hard.

There are too many locations and too many characters for it to work on a TV budget. And there's also the problem that very little about those books would make for compelling television. ADWD in particular is essentially unfilmable. They are going to have to cut out a ton of stuff and restructure everything.

But most of the plot happens on the same sets/places with talks, if IRC.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I've heard a lot of criticisms in my time, but this is absolutely the first time I've heard this one. Astonishing.

endre

LOL, bring the torches. Edit: Let me try to explain it this way. SB would be a better Brandon Stark then Eddard. Not necessarily true, but I do feel he would play a first born Stark significantly better.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My favorite part about the non-spoiler thread is people who have clearly read the books posting "predictions" which they clearly just know already.

apana

No. Everyone loves Ned and Sean Bean's performance.

LOL, bring the torches. Edit: Let me try to explain it this way. SB would be a better Brandon Stark then Eddard. Not necessarily true, but I do feel he would play a first born Stark significantly better.

I will put my answer in series spoilers just incase I reveal something about either character that was not revealed on the show, but there is nothing particularly spoilerish about what I have written below.

series spoiler:
I will admit that the Ned of the show is a bit harder and more of a warrior than book Ned but Sean Bean got the heart of the character completely right. We don't know Brandon and Ned was a changed man after the experience of fighting a war. So just because Brandon is described as an alpha male and young Ned is a bit of a shy kid doesn't mean that Sean Bean was not right for the role of Ned. It's best not to make too much out of small revelations about characters within the books. Also book Ned sounds a bit more nerdy/proper because he is speaking very proper english whereas the show is a little less formal in the way the characters speak. There were many times when Sean Bean demonstrated the vulnerable and nervous side of Ned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom