• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(SOS)
I guess it would heighten Walder Frey's anger at Rob, since he abandoned his daughter in favor of some foreign whore.

It's not a huge deal, I guess. Jeyne never did much. But she was connected to the Lannisters, which added even more unease to the situation.

This is what I thought. The only functional difference between Talisa and Jeyne is that her being foreign-born and not really a suitable match for the King would increase the dramatic tension later on.

3rdman

(SOS)
I guess it would heighten Walder Frey's anger at Rob, since he abandoned his daughter in favor of some foreign whore.

It's not a huge deal, I guess. Jeyne never did much. But she was connected to the Lannisters, which added even more unease to the situation.

By the way, have I been the only one to notice the
looks between Talisa and Roose Bolton? I think the TV adaptation is going to be wholly embracing the theory that Jeyne/Talisa was actually an agent for the Lannister's in their help to break the alliance between Rob and the Freys.

My guess is that Roose (who we know is acting as a double agent) is controlling her movements and decisions.

looks between Talisa and Roose Bolton? I think the TV adaptation is going to be wholly embracing the theory that Jeyne/Talisa was actually an agent for the Lannister's in their help to break the alliance between Rob and the Freys.

My guess is that Roose (who we know is acting as a double agent) is controlling her movements and decisions.

and don't forget the trope that
"and she fell in love along the way"

Speevy

Banned
I'm confused by this. Stannis has consistently appeared to be this sort of cast off brother character who has been somewhat lost in the sea of claims to the throne, who is somewhat discarded by many as this weird dude who worships/prays to/whatever this bonkos deity. I'm not sure where you're getting the impression he's being viewed as a liberator, cause that isn't my impression at all.

No, that's what I'm saying. Stannis appears unlikeable to the viewer based on his allegiance to Melisandre. He also appears weak based on his scenes with Renly earlier in the season.

However, they went so long without showing him, and plenty of the scenes at King's Landing show people clamoring for Joffrey's head. There's also Sansa's abuse, and Tyrion constantly undermining Joffrey.

I'm saying the showrunners have framed these events in such a way that Stannis is preferable to Joffrey. And of course Tyrion is so likeable you want him to throw Joffrey from a tower during the battle rather than defending him.

tirminyl

I'm sure that I'm late to this but isn't next week's episode the one written by GRRM?

Thus far my love/hate of the episodes has been dependent on the writers and I've come to the conclusion that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss should write fewer episodes and Vanessa Taylor should write more.

I believe it is. I didn't watch any previews but I believe I know what episode that is and I am looking forward to it!

Nearing the end of CoK now and I agree with complaints about Jon's storyline. It's not bad, but he shows a lot of growth and intelligence in the book, even in his folly of not killing Ygritte. He feels a bit more like an inept boy in the show. Jon has some good dialogue/thoughts in CoK; it's a shame a lot of that doesn't translate to the show.

Not a fan of Dany's story in the book, either. I think Qarth, as a location, is better in the book, though--it feels like a generic "beautiful" city in the show, especially since they neutered a lot of the culture and the time spent there has just been garden-pacing. I just don't feel any care for the characters of Qarth.

/bookreaderrant

Speevy

Banned
Question: Do Yara and the guy who has been advising Theon differ in their interpretation of what an iron-born person should do? She ridiculed his actions pretty badly this episode.

calza

What you talking about?

ACOK
Roose was not a double agent, after Winterfell falls I believe that is when he starts to think that Robb Stark might lose but Jeyne/Talisa was around before then.

Question: Do Yara and the guy who has been advising Theon differ in their interpretation of what an iron-born person should do? She ridiculed his actions pretty badly this episode.

Yeah, I didn't quite understand this. It's intriguing, in a sort of Dothraki way. Savage people who still have their own values, but it was a little strange, considering all the treachery, murder, pillaging, and raping that the iron-born feel free to do.

Socreges

Banned
Casting her from Volantis gives them an opportunity to talk about the place more and its connection to slavery, as well. It helps expand the world some. They could have also cast Oona and then wanted a place that fit her dark features better...?

Also, [SOS]
are these theories about Roose/Jeyne just from fans or is there something I missed? Or did you guys started talking about AFFC/ADWD (which I haven't read) without labeling?

I guess. Some of that scene was pretty stupid in my opinion, but I've also hated pretty much everything that 'Yara' has done. I don't know if it's mostly the actress or just how she's written in the show, but I find her extremely annoying.

What you talking about?

ACOK
Roose was not a double agent, after Winterfell falls I believe that is when he starts to think that Robb Stark might lose but Jeyne/Talisa was around before then.

ACOK
Perhaps, [I don't actually recall much of the little details in ACOK] but the show isn't a 1:1 adaptation of the novels. It's likely the show runners will streamline this specific sub-plot, making Bolton a double agent the entire time. As noted the camera work [and actions such as the glance the pair exchanged in episode 7] do appear to heavily hint at that eventuality.

3rdman

What you talking about?

ACOK

Yes you are right where the book is concerned but this isn't the book. Here, Roose is showing overt signs of duplicity...or at least they are overt to me. Here, he openly glares at Talisa every time he leaves a room to her and Rob together. Here, he is begging Rob to allow his bastard son to take command of Winterfell's retaking which will then be burned down.

In the books, it's pretty vague about when Roose switches sides but (if I remember correctly) Reek was already at Winterfell as a "guest" so it's fair to say that some plan was already put in motion at that point? My memory is awful so please let me know if I am mis-remembering something.

q_q

I know the timeline is iffy in the books, but (SoS)
I don't think Roose has actually decided to betray Robb at this point. It isn't until after Robb marries Jeyne that he decides to work with the Lannisters as far as I remember. Then again you could be right, the show might be taking it in a very different direction, we'll have to see.

Jeyne Westerling doesn't exist in the show, seems pretty clear at this point.

I think Lady Talisa is actually Jeyne, but she doesn't want to say so because she knows her family are enemies of Robb and she would probably be taken prisoner if she was found out.

Speevy

Banned
My favorite line from the last episode was:

Bronn: "Me and the lads rounded up all the known thieves."

Tyrion: "For questioning?"

Bronn: "Ah, no."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The most awkward part about that last episode was the scene where Robb and Talisa are walking up a hill and are flirting, but then when you stop to look at them, they're walking maybe half a mile an hour - Like they're each taking one step every few seconds, likely just to make the camera work look better, but then all the people who are supposedly guarding or accompanying Robb are also walking that slow, including a bunch of horses. It's super random looking once you notice it.

Speevy

Banned
The most awkward part about that last episode was the scene where Robb and Talisa are walking up a hill and are flirting, but then when you stop to look at them, they're walking maybe half a mile an hour - Like they're each taking one step every few seconds, likely just to make the camera work look better, but then all the people who are supposedly guarding or accompanying Robb are also walking that slow, including a bunch of horses. It's super random looking once you notice it.

Okay, that's hilarious. I didn't even notice.

The horses must have been like "Damn, what are you guys doing?"

apana

I love the Tyrion Varys bromance this season, I love it whenever Varys is on screen. He completely steals the show and you just want to hear what he is going to say next.

apana

Am I the only one who is not angry at Joffrey? I know if he were a real person I would hate him but whenever he is on the screen he makes me laugh at all his stupidity and I appreciate the performance Jack Gleeson is giving.

"They say Stannis never smiles. I'll give him a red smile, from ear to ear. "

Just the way he said it when he is brandishing his dagger, lol.

ezrarh

So by now, it seems to me they've put a lot of emphasis on romantic relationships at the expense of some of the more plot oriented scenes. Which has its positives and negatives. (series)
I think it's going to be great because in the end, everybody gets screwed and it can be real heartbreaking if Dave and Dan do it right. The last episode doesn't come of too bad for me knowing where Robb/Jeyne, Jon/Ygritte, Tyrion/Shae, Dany/Jorah end up, and even Asha/Theon although that's not romantic.

Zabka

Kind of strange that this stuck out since it's a common thing couples do.

Some of that scene was pretty stupid in my opinion, but I've also hated pretty much everything that 'Yara' has done. I don't know if it's mostly the actress or just how she's written in the show, but I find her extremely annoying.

My issue is how dour and brooding she always looks. But I liked her scene with Theon this past week, since most of the dialogue (outside of her story of baby Theon crying) was actually taken straight from the book. One difference being (ACOK)
in the book, Asha chastises Theon for not just abducting the Stark boys, razing Winterfell and heading back to Pyke with the Starks as hostages, which would have won the war in one stroke probably

As for Jeyne/Talisa (SOS)
and Roose, I always figured things started to really go south for Robb among his lords once he not only marries Jeyne but once he executes Karstark, which seems to lead to more grumbling amongst whether Robb really knows what he's doing. Add in how Edmure screws up Robb's plan to trap Tywin, Cat releasing Jaime and all of a sudden people aren't quite sure Robb is the man for the job, especially post Blackwater where the Lannisters have added Tyrell allies and can focus their full attention on the North with Stannis out of the picture.

Magnus

Late to the party.

Huge setup episode, and a necessary one. Not particularly memorable or strong in its own right, save a few key scenes and bits of dialogue. Couple nice, truly evocative moments, like the last scene.

Going through it again now to ready some words and images. A third of the way in, and haven't found much that's particularly GIF-able either! Happy to take requests.

Yeah, a friend and I talked about how much it must suck to guard the king while he's slowly courting this chick.

Am I the only one who is not angry at Joffrey? I know if he were a real person I would hate him but whenever he is on the screen he makes me laugh at all his stupidity and I appreciate the performance Jack Gleeson is giving.

My favorite character in the show. That was the best scene.

Socreges

Banned
I think Lady Talisa is actually Jeyne, but she doesn't want to say so because she knows her family are enemies of Robb and she would probably be taken prisoner if she was found out.
So she made up that whole story about not wanting to live in a slave city? And she's not concerned about other people recognizing her? And her family wouldn't mind her going around helping the wounded on both sides? etc

Snake

I've come to the conclusion that Stephen Dillane is a great Stannis, just completely underused/misused by the show.

I really love every line he speaks, but I'm always left wanting more.

edit:

Every scene with Joff besides the one in his bedchambers has been comedy gold.

inFKSGbeFO4bv.gif

sogood

Zabka

It really was awkwardly slow, though.

I just watched that scene again on HBO Go and I really have no idea what you guys are seeing there.

Going through it again now to ready some words and images. A third of the way in, and haven't found much that's particularly GIF-able either! Happy to take requests.

The people demand the slowest walk in the history of film!

q_q

So she made up that whole story about not wanting to live in a slave city? And she's not concerned about other people recognizing her? And her family wouldn't mind her going around helping the wounded on both sides? etc

Yeah because the writers of this show only do something if it really makes sense.

Youtube links for the last two weeks of Thronecast are up. I posted the extended interviews already - these links are for the main part of the show:

- Thronecast Season 2 Episode 7
In this week's Thronecast, we discuss episode 7 - A Man Without Honour - as well as provide a recap of Season 2 so far! Elio & Linda from Westeros.org chime in, and there's a chat with a superfan expert in the Night's Watch.
- Thronecast Season 2 Episode 8
Thronecast takes a look at Episode 8 of Game of Thrones, "The Prince of Winterfell" - including an exclusive interview with John Bradley, aka Samwell Tarly - and a cooking lesson from the authors of "A Feast of Ice and Fire," the Game of Thrones cookbook.

I'm sorry but this has to be asked especially after the recent episode.

Is there a place to find the gifs and caps of the nude scenes in Game of Thrones?

Magnus

Some of the Arya - Jaqen banter would be great, thanks.

Happily, except I don't have the facility for subtitling. :( I tried making some, but their faces are so plain and unexpressive, that there's no sense of what's happening in the GIF without words. Comes off rather lame. =/

Also, a question. HUGE SOS SPOILERS
This is the Tower of the Hand entry for Shae, with only GOT, COK and SOS scope included:

"A young woman.
Shae was serving as a camp follower with Lord Tywin Lannister's army when Bronn brought her to Tyrion after he sent Bronn looking for a permanent companion. (AGOT 63) Tyrion took an immediate liking to her and decided to bring her back to King's Landing with him despite the fact that his father forbade it. (AGOT 63, AGOT 70) Tyrion could not bring himself to defy his father by bringing her to court, but he set her up at a house in the city and enlisted Varys's help to rendevouz with her secretly. (ACOK 4, ACOK 9, ACOK 16) As Stannis Baratheon's army marched on the city and several riots accured, Tyrion came to fear for her safety and made plans to move her to the Red Keep. (ACOK 45) At Varys's suggestion, Tyrion smuggld her into the castle as a maid for Lollys Stokeworth, replacing a previous maid that had been stealing jewels. (ACOK 45, ACOK 50)After Tyrion married Sansa Stark, he arranged for Shae to become one of Sansa's maids, giving him an excuse to keep her close to him. (ASOS 59) When Tyrion was tried for the murder of King Joffrey Baratheon, Shae betrays him by lying that he conspired with Sansa to murder Joffrey and Lord Tywin so he could rule the realm for himself. (ASOS 71) She was in Lord Tywin Lannister's bed when Tyrion arrived in Tywin's chambers after Varys let him out of the dungeon, and Tyrion strangled her for her betrayal. (ASOS 78)"

I've forgotten: why exactly does she betray Tyrion? Was she always in the employ of Tywin? That's what I had thought, but this entry from the Tower of the Hand doesn't mention this at all. Also, is her strangling shown in the text, or implied after the fact? I can't remember.

I'm only asking about the book version of the character, and not the show version, which could be going an altogether different route.

q_q

Happily, except I don't have the facility for subtitling. :( I tried making some, but their faces are so plain and unexpressive, that there's no sense of what's happening in the GIF without words. Comes off rather lame. =/

Also, a question. HUGE SOS SPOILERS
This is the Tower of the Hand entry for Shae, with only GOT, COK and SOS scope included:

"A young woman.
Shae was serving as a camp follower with Lord Tywin Lannister's army when Bronn brought her to Tyrion after he sent Bronn looking for a permanent companion. (AGOT 63) Tyrion took an immediate liking to her and decided to bring her back to King's Landing with him despite the fact that his father forbade it. (AGOT 63, AGOT 70) Tyrion could not bring himself to defy his father by bringing her to court, but he set her up at a house in the city and enlisted Varys's help to rendevouz with her secretly. (ACOK 4, ACOK 9, ACOK 16) As Stannis Baratheon's army marched on the city and several riots accured, Tyrion came to fear for her safety and made plans to move her to the Red Keep. (ACOK 45) At Varys's suggestion, Tyrion smuggld her into the castle as a maid for Lollys Stokeworth, replacing a previous maid that had been stealing jewels. (ACOK 45, ACOK 50)After Tyrion married Sansa Stark, he arranged for Shae to become one of Sansa's maids, giving him an excuse to keep her close to him. (ASOS 59) When Tyrion was tried for the murder of King Joffrey Baratheon, Shae betrays him by lying that he conspired with Sansa to murder Joffrey and Lord Tywin so he could rule the realm for himself. (ASOS 71) She was in Lord Tywin Lannister's bed when Tyrion arrived in Tywin's chambers after Varys let him out of the dungeon, and Tyrion strangled her for her betrayal. (ASOS 78)"

I've forgotten: why exactly does she betray Tyrion? Was she always in the employ of Tywin? That's what I had thought, but this entry from the Tower of the Hand doesn't mention this at all. Also, is her strangling shown in the text, or implied after the fact? I can't remember.

I'm only asking about the book version of the character, and not the show version, which could be going an altogether different route.

She only betrays Tyrion once she realizes he's a sinking ship. Cersei offers her a marriage or something to rat out Tyrion so she takes the deal. Then she ends up with Tywin afterward, I assume because Tywin just thought she was hot and wanted to fuck her. And yes Tyrion strangles her in the actual text.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
I know the timeline is iffy in the books, but (SoS)
I don't think Roose has actually decided to betray Robb at this point. It isn't until after Robb marries Jeyne that he decides to work with the Lannisters as far as I remember. Then again you could be right, the show might be taking it in a very different direction, we'll have to see.

Series:
I agree that Roose wasn't set on betraying Robb that early, but I think he starts hatching a contingency plan to switch sides after Stannis is defeated at King's Landing, since he knows that the tide has turned, and it would be very difficult to defeat the Tyrell-Lannister forces now solely focused on them. I think the marriage was just the final straw for Roose, since he knew that they were doomed without the Freys' support. Roose isn't Pro-Lannister, he's just Pro-Survival, and he figured he had the best odds of getting out of the war alive by going over to the Lannisters.

Roose is probably the most cunning character who isn't actually vying for the Iron Throne. I would have loved to see him go down to King's Landing and see how he fares among all the other players of the Game.

No worries, I'm sure they'll pop up somewhere. Thanks for trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom