• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great episode. Lena Headey's performance (and the writing) really stole the show, though I'll admit this explosion indeed was badass.

I'm already (and stupidly, given the long wait) getting hyped for season 3/4. [SoS spoilers]
Especially when it comes to Charles Dance and Dinklage. Their final confrontation should be glorious.

[Whole series spoilers]
Anyone worried about the later books, though? I really like Feast, and am a bit ambivalent about Dance with Dragons, but it's kind of obvious that the change of pace and introduction of countless new characters won't be TV-friendly. Really wonder how they'll work around it.

They haven't found a graceful way to handle the number of characters this season, so hopefully they won't even try to deal with all the new characters. Cut the story to its core and expand on the core in a meaningful way.

Lothar

Banned
Exactly how I feel.
It's just impossible now. She'll be tortured or something, which would lead to a similar vengeance. This way, Tyrion would remain an all-around good guy. It'd be pretty disappointing, but there's just no way he kills her now. Hope I'm wrong.

(SoS)
I thought that was disappointing itself in the books. I never believed he had good cause to murder her. Even if she did testify against him of her own free will and wasn't pressured or threatened to do it by the queen. (Which is a possibility) His likability factor took a big hit for me, like to the point where I'm not that interested in what he's doing anymore. I'll be happy to see that scene go.

Killing his father is enough for him not to be an all-around completely good guy.

Vyer

I don't think they can do that now. It wouldn't make any sense. (SoS)
And it would make people hate Tyrion. Shae is too nice now. It's not even fake nice. She has no reason or hidden motive to protect Sansa and give her advice but she does it anyway.
They have to change that.

Eh, I could see a link there. Series
Particularly that Sansa is trapped, being 'used' much in the same sense Shae could feel she's been used or owned for most of her life. "You can't fuck your way out of everything" and her showing Sansa that blade hidden on her ankle are just a few more hints that this version of Shae is more a survivor than anything else. She could see that in trying to help Sansa learn how to survive as well.

Don't forget that Shae most definitely did not like her early on.

Betraying Tyrion is tougher, but part of that entire plotline is just how badly Tyrion is supposed to be damaged by her betrayal, and that's certainly in line with what's happening now.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I havent seen it discussed anywhere, but Lightbringer didn't bring any light or glow when Stannis was fighting with it. What gives with that?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
(SoS)
I thought that was disappointing itself in the books. I never believed he had good cause to murder her. Even if she did testify against him of her own free will and wasn't pressured or threatened to do it by the queen. (Which is a possibility) His likability factor took a big hit for me, like to the point where I'm not that interested in what he's doing anymore. I'll be happy to see that scene go.

Killing his father is enough for him not to be an all-around completely good guy.
The way I saw it while reading:

[ASoS]
Tyrion killed her not only because she betrayed him but also because he believed she truly cared about him even though he told himself numerous times not to believe what she told him. She was in his father's bed and he realized how stupid he was to believe anything she said so he killed her so he wouldn't make that mistake again. This also happened after Jaime told him the truth about his first wife. Having the audience also believe her love for him in the show will make her betrayal even worse and him killing her will be sweet. I hope they don't change any of it.

I havent seen it discussed anywhere, but Lightbringer didn't bring any light or glow when Stannis was fighting with it. What gives with that?

On Lightbringer, encompasses some scope from all of the books but nothing that would ruin anything really (I suppose my own speculation, but I think most people agree with this statement):

Stannis is not the Lord of Light and Lightbringer is a bogus sword. I believe this is mostly revealed in Book 2, when Davos is like, 'well, sure, if you light the sword on fire it glows..' but in future books, other characters remark that lightbringer is not lighting up in Stannis' hands all that often

Couldn't afford it after wildfire. Lightbringer has been crappy all season so what can you do. Will have to wait for asos
Dondarrion to whip out his sword.

Sotha Sil

[ASoS]
Tyrion killed her not only because she betrayed him but also because he believed she truly cared about him even though he told himself numerous times not to believe what she told him. She was in his father's bed and he realized how stupid he was to believe anything she said so he killed her so he wouldn't make that mistake again. This also happened after Jaime told him the truth about his first wife. Having the audience also believe her love for him in the show will make her betrayal even worse and him killing her will be sweet. I hope they don't change any of it.

Pretty much. [SoS]
When he kills Shae, he kills his last shred of innocence. He won't trust anyone ever again, and this act of pointless violence really drives the point home.

I don't think they can do that now. It wouldn't make any sense. (SoS)
And it would make people hate Tyrion. Shae is too nice now. It's not even fake nice. She has no reason or hidden motive to protect Sansa and give her advice but she does it anyway.
They have to change that.

I feel they can still make it happen...
I always felt a connection between tyrion and shae in the books too, but when it came down to it, Shae is about self preservation. She turns on Tyrion because he is no longer the one taking care of her at that point. He is currently giving her what she wants. She is basically a gold digger and when it comes down to turning on Tyrion or a short lived torture/certain death, She makes the decision that she thinks keeps her safe.
I still see it happening and I am sure her character will become far more selfish come next season.

LuchaShaq

Banned
(SoS)

Related spoiler

It's not that she fucked Tywin, she's a whore and she obviously couldn't fuck Tyrion so whatever. It wasn't even because she testified, big deal the Queen could have killed her he would have understood. It was the mockery she made of him and the whole Lion/Giant of Lannister thing SHE said, but mocking him in front of everyone as if he was forcing her to say it? Fuck that end her sad little life.

Honestly I think lying to Jamie and saying he DID kill Joffrey was much more cruel/unnecessary than killing Tywin or Shae.

KingGondo

Banned
[SoS spoilers]
I'm really curious about the direction they're going with Shae. TV-Shae is a responsible and visibly caring person, much more mature and independent than her book counterpart. I really wonder if they'll go through with the betrayal. It certainly will sting a lot more now that they gave her a lot of positive qualities.
ASOS:
I actually think it'll make her betrayal that much more stinging--Tyrion comes across as a bit of a dope re: Shae in the books, as she's a whore and doesn't display much besides (over-the-top) fawning affection for Tyrion. If she starts off as more sympathetic, mature person (which the show's version certainly is), then the showrunners will have to sell her betrayal harder. A combination of politics, threats from Tywin, and Tyrion's increased ugliness might be enough to explain it.

Lothar

Banned

[ASoS]

Sweet? That's kind of like sympathizing with a man murderering his wife because he caught her cheating on him. Killing her because she didn't really love him and was just doing what he was paying her to do makes him a monster. That's an even worse reason than doing it because she betrayed him.

Related spoiler

It's not that she fucked Tywin, she's a whore and she obviously couldn't fuck Tyrion so whatever. It wasn't even because she testified, big deal the Queen could have killed her he would have understood. It was the mockery she made of him and the whole Lion/Giant of Lannister thing SHE said, but mocking him in front of everyone as if he was forcing her to say it? Fuck that end her sad little life.

Honestly I think lying to Jamie and saying he DID kill Joffrey was much more cruel/unnecessary than killing Tywin or Shae.

Wanting a woman to be murdered because she embarassed someone seems to be a bit sociopathic to me.

I saw it as her doing what she felt she had to do to save her life. Perhaps she felt she needed to reveal what they privately talked about to make the story sound convincing. Totally understandable.

Fuzzy

ASOS:
I actually think it'll make her betrayal that much more stinging--Tyrion comes across as a bit of a dope re: Shae in the books, as she's a whore and doesn't display much besides (over-the-top) fawning affection for Tyrion. If she starts off as more sympathetic, mature person (which the show's version certainly is), then the showrunners will have to sell her betrayal harder. A combination of politics, threats from Tywin, and Tyrion's increased ugliness might be enough to explain it.
Related spoiler:

I really don't want her threatened at all. I want her to betray Tyrion because of a bribe, kind of like what Bronn did.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Are the gore sequences supposed to be comedic? I tend to laugh at them because they're so over-the-top (off the top?).
I'm normally ok with them but this one was truly hilarious because of the obvious doll and managed to take me out of the scene for a second.

iX4f5W6QQ8y8W.gif

(SoS)

(ASOS)
You can't be serious, right? It's going to happen. I suppose the show made it visceral in a way the books didn't, but Shae never deserved to die. Betraying Tyrion was simply a means to survival, which is who she is at her most basic level: a survivor. And Tyrion killing her was part of his head-space at the time. Not only all that Tywin did to him, but that his father was a hypocrite in such an intimate way. It has to happen, because it's a crucial element in Tyrion's evolution; this isn't a missing nose we're talking about.

Moreover, I find this desire for Mary Sue characters "that I can root for" or "I can identify with in a ridiculously saccharine way" nauseatingly boring. Yes, what Tyrion did was fucked up, but that doesn't stop his POVs from being among the most compelling in the books. And I think cable television has moved past this mentality, with a slew of morally grey lead characters in recent history.

Related spoiler

So true.

Fuzzy

Sweet? That's kind of like sympathizing with a man murderering his wife because he caught her cheating on him. Killing her because she didn't really love him and was just doing what he was paying her to do makes him a monster. That's an even worse reason than doing it because she betrayed him.
I disagree.

Someone betrays one of your favourite character in this show and you want them to pay. This would be one of the few times where the audience would get that payoff in this show and they wouldn't think he's a monster at all.

So how did Tyrion rig the boat to only start spilling wildfire after it got into position? Some kind of disintegrating corks or something?
My guess is a really long piece of string that popped the cork once it got out far enough.

Lothar

Banned
I disagree.

Someone betrays one of your favourite character in this show and you want them to pay.

Of course not if she was just saying what she could to protect herself and believed Tyrion was going to die no matter what she said. Tyrion was my favorite character and I felt bad for her even as she was saying that stuff.

I didn't believe her testimony would have changed things one way or the other. She was just doing the smart thing.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
yeah regarding shae

In the book, I really didn't feel much after tyrion kills her, the book never made her come across as trustworthy or likable. Everything that came out of her mouth screamed "bullshit". The show has done a much better job of making her a likable character and appear to honestly care for Tyrion. Which is why her betrayal will have far more impact and it will be that much sweeter when the lying whore gets what she deserves.

Fuzzy

yeah regarding shae

In the book, I really didn't feel much after tyrion kills her, the book never made her come across as trustworthy or likable. Everything that came out of her mouth screamed "bullshit". The show has done a much better job of making her a likable character and appear to honestly care for Tyrion. Which is why her betrayal will have far more impact and it will be that much sweeter when the lying whore gets what she deserves.
I knew I wasn't the only one. :)

ronito

So just watched the episode.

It's funny how wonderful of a job they've done with Stannis and no small credit to the actor.

In the books I always hated him. But the Stannis in the show I'd totally get behind. The dude was total badass and wasn't afraid anything!

Renly had his peaches, Robb and Tywin were always strategizing, but Stannis, what a man.

"thousands."

That was too awesome.

Bebpo

Banned
[ASOS]
So Shae died? The book was really vague & confusing (haven't read books 4&5 yet) and I couldn't tell if he was choking her with the chain around her neck or if he just pulled the chain off of her as a symbolic act of disapproval.

Lothar

Banned
yeah regarding shae

Making her more likable is going to make it sweeter when she gets murdered? What?

It was bad enough in the books when she wasn't that likable. Now that she is nice and protectful of Sansa, it's going to make Tyrion seem as terrible as Joffrey.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
ASOS
I'm worried they're telegraphing the Frey betrayal too strongly in the show. I hope it's still as impactful as it was in the books.

[ASOS]
So Shae died? The book was really vague & confusing (haven't read books 4&5 yet) and I couldn't tell if he was choking her with the chain around her neck or if he just pulled the chain off of her as a symbolic act of disapproval.
ASOS
He killed her.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
"thousands."

That was too awesome.

I still don't get why this is such a badass comment. I'm no badass and I would have no problems sending thousands of people to their death if it meant more wealth and power for myself. It just makes him seem like Zap Brannigan to me.

[ASOS]

Ehh... it may not be official till AFFC, but yes. (affc?)
don't recall if it was AFFC or asos, but basically shes strangled/choked to death with the chain stuffed down her throat. The details might not appear till Cersei's first chapter in Feast...

frequency

Making her more likable is going to make it sweeter when she gets murdered? What?

It was bad enough in the books when she wasn't that likable. Now that she is nice and protectful of Sansa, it's going to make Tyrion seem as terrible as Joffrey.

They could have a turn in her character to show that she isn't so nice after all. That she's just deceptive and doing everything for some hidden motives. Then people will be mad and feel Tyrion was just.

And if not, then we see Tyrion is a flawed person - like everyone else in the series. So I actually hope they don't do anything to make the audience think Shae deserves death. They should make it so we all disagree with Tyrion's decision to murder her.

Right now, Tyrion is being made the hero. He never does anything wrong and is brave and noble and etc, etc, etc. But no one in this series is without fault.

I still don't get why this is such a badass comment. I'm no badass and I would have no problems sending thousands of people to their death if it meant more wealth and power for myself. It just makes him seem like Zap Brannigan to me.

But he led the charge. Knowing that death will happen, he still leads the charge and is the first one off the boat and charging at the incoming arrows.

ronito

Because it shows perfectly Stannis's character.
He doesn't care if thousands die. Law says that he's the king. There's no retreating or regrouping. The law is the law and if thousands have to die upholding it, including himself he doesn't care.

Regarding Shae:

All they have to do is seriously play up the "Giant of Lannister" bit. Have her say it during the trial, make the laughter a complete uproar, make even Tywin laugh before turning cold, show the look between Tywin and Tyrion, completely break the father/son bond.

Then Tyrion goes to Tywin's chamber, Shae apologizes, Shae begs forgiveness, Tyrion accepts and embraces her because what else could she do? Then she says "My lion, my giant of lannister, I'm so sorry." And that's when he grabs the chain.

Done. It fits a perfectly disgraced Tyrion to a "t". It's not like Tyrion is afraid of hurting people, anyway, doesn't anyone remember the singer and For hands of gold are always cold, but a woman's hands are warm...?

Speevy

Banned
I think it should go even further and have people like Speevy (not singling him out, just an example) banned from that thread also then. Non-readers who come into this thread and spoil future plot points for themselves shouldn't be posting in a thread for people who have no prior knowledge of future events. Other cross-posters also, pick a side and stick to it. Like you said, a bit of stuff (could) inadvertently slip(ping) through the cracks.

Whether you intend to single me out or not, I haven't posted a single word in the non-spoiler topic which could spoil the series.

siddx

Yes, because when she betrays him, the sting of the betrayal will be that much more viscous. Book Shae was just some dumb whore who saw money bags in her future and came along for the ride, and telegraphed that fact with every word she uttered. Her death was shrug worthy. TV show Shay has convinced the audience she really does love Tyrion. So when it comes out that she doesn't actually love him, that it's just been a game to her and she doesn't give a flying fuck about him, her death will oh so very sweet.

- EW.com: 'Game of Thrones' scoop: Season 3 character list revealed *spoilers*

Please tag and label any discussion. Thanks.

People will be pleased with a few names on the list:
“[Jojen and Meera Reed] haven’t been written out,” Benioff says. “It’s important to point out that that we have the largest cast on television right now. We introduced dozens of new characters in season two. If you hurl 300 characters at an audience, the story collapses under the weight of too many faces, too many names, and too many subplots. We need to be just as mindful of the audience members who have never read the books as we are of the readers; the series will fail if we only appeal to those who already know the characters. So we try to be parsimonious about how many new roles we introduce to the story and when we introduce them.”

siddx

Can't wait for scenes with
the Queen of Thorns
. One of my favorite minor characters in the book.

Fuzzy

Whether you intend to single me out or not, I haven't posted a single word in the non-spoiler topic which could spoil the series.
Neither have I but I no longer post in that thread. ;)

Your (and others in this thread) future knowledge could colour your posts without your intention to.

Lothar

Banned
Yes, because when she betrays him, the sting of the betrayal will be that much more viscous. Book Shae was just some dumb whore who saw money bags in her future and came along for the ride, and telegraphed that fact with every word she uttered. Her death was shrug worthy. TV show Shay has convinced the audience she really does love Tyrion. So when it comes out that she doesn't actually love him, that it's just been a game to her and she doesn't give a flying fuck about him, her death will oh so very sweet.

(SoS)

For this to be the case
that Shae has been phony the whole time... You'd have to come up with reasons why she would put a knife to a maid's throat to protect Sansa, why she told Sansa to be more careful about saying things about Joffrey, why she told Sansa to run to her room where she would be safe. I really think it would be better if they just changed that story. This Shae is a whole different character than book Shae.

Bebpo

Banned
Casting list

[ASOS]
It seems kind of dumb that they're going to have Edmure Tully and the Tully stuff in S3 when they've completely cut out the Tully subplot for S1 & S2 and merged Edmure's role into TV Robb.

I know for the Red Wedding they need to have a wedding, but it's going to be weird to have the Tully's come in so late.

Same with Stannis suddenly having a daughter & wife when they cut them completely in S2 and made it seem like he had neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom