• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Holy hell, they're really going all out, aren't they.

They brought in EVVVVVVERY body people love.

Can't wait for
Meera, Blackfish, the Queen of Thorns, and motherfucking TORMUND GIANTSBANE.

Casting list

[ASOS]
It seems kind of dumb that they're going to have Edmure Tully and the Tully stuff in S3 when they've completely cut out the Tully subplot for S1 & S2 and merged Edmure's role into TV Robb.

I know for the Red Wedding they need to have a wedding, but it's going to be weird to have the Tully's come in so late.

Same with Stannis suddenly having a daughter & wife when they cut them completely in S2 and made it seem like he had neither.

SOS SPOILERS
In regards to your first point, Riverrun gives them a central headquarters since Robb basically dominates the first part of SOS and he controls the Riverlands. Also, Cat doesn't have much to do and the story of her father dying, her brother being weak and forced to take over, that's all compelling TV story so I'm glad we get it. Blackfish is just a bonus, though I can see him take on the roll of Robb's best advisor in that season.

Also, the history between the Tullys and Freys and Hoster's dominance over Walder Frey and Walder's bitterness is very important to show the reader if you know what I mean.

In regards to the second, they showed his wife already when he grabbed her hand and walked away from the fire in 201. I don't get why they're worrying to recast her. And his daughter isn't necessary, though maybe Martin knows something and maybe it has something to do with Greyscale and Dance.

I don't see why they're bothering to do the Reeds now. Cutting them seemed like the smart decision. [series]
It sure seems like they don't even serve any purpose anymore by time we get to ADWD. Maybe they suddenly play a prominent role in the last two books or something?

(SoS)

For this to be the case
that Shae has been phony the whole time... You'd have to come up with reasons why she would put a knife to a maid's throat to protect Sansa, why she told Sansa to be more careful about saying things about Joffrey, why she told Sansa to run to her room where she would be safe. I really think it would be better if they just changed that story. This Shae is a whole different character than book Shae.

All of those things go back to Shae trying to hide. If Sansa gets in deep shit and Cersei starts looking in depth at what's going on she might uncover Shae. And it's not like she has to be completely heartless; just because she's selfish doesn't mean she wants to see a teenaged girl get raped.

I don't see why they're bothering to do the Reeds now. Cutting them seemed like the smart decision. [series]
It sure seems like they don't even serve any purpose anymore by time we get to ADWD. Maybe they suddenly play a prominent role in the last two books or something?

The Reeds are the sole drive to go north of the wall, and what do you think Bran's story arc would be like if it were just him and Hodor all the way North?

Dysun

Yes, because when she betrays him, the sting of the betrayal will be that much more viscous. Book Shae was just some dumb whore who saw money bags in her future and came along for the ride, and telegraphed that fact with every word she uttered. Her death was shrug worthy. TV show Shay has convinced the audience she really does love Tyrion. So when it comes out that she doesn't actually love him, that it's just been a game to her and she doesn't give a flying fuck about him, her death will oh so very sweet.

I agree with you about Shae, even Tyrion himself doubts her constantly in his inner monologues, whenever she utters her affection for him he ponders if it's real or just a lie coming from a whore. The show has painted her very differently thus far.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People

Series spoilers
I don't think Bran's journey could be interesting if it were just him and Hodor or Osha or Maester Luwin or whoever else they could figure out to send with him. He needs the Reeds for that arc to be entertaining on TV. More importantly, Howland Reed is the only person alive that knows about Jon's parentage, and the Reeds in general should have a major impact on future war events due to their location.

The chapter where Meera tells Bran about the tournament at Harrenhal is one of my favorite little chapters. I love that backstory stuff, even if it can't work for TV.

apana

Just start hacking off characters and you start getting a strange and twisted story. There are already too many changes in season 2, I have a feeling we will see a smart and faithful adaptation for season 3. Those two things don't need to be opposing each other.

Series spoilers
I don't think Bran's journey could be interesting if it were just him and Osha. He needs the Reeds for that arc to be entertaining on TV. More importantly, Howland Reed is the only person alive that knows about Jon's parentage, and the Reeds in general should have a major impact on future war events due to their location.

The chapter where Meera tells Bran about the tournament at Harrenhal is one of my favorite little chapters. I love that backstory stuff, even if it can't work for TV.

[ASOS?]
Osha goes with Rickon leaving Bran with Hodor and the Reeds.

Edit: I wonder if they'll keep Rickon with Bran instead, I guess that would really be up to what GRRM has planned for him, Osha and Davos.

suzu

I feel like (Season 3 casting stuff)
the Reed kids and Edmure Tully should've been mentioned or shown for at least a little bit this season. They still managed to fit Roose Bolton in this season. Oh well, at least they're getting to it!

ari

Banned
why is there so much black bars? Can you fuckers go to the other thread? isn't that is why they created it? why clutter up this thread with that literal inside conversations with people that didn't read the books? GTFO with that shit.

f0lken

That The National "Rains of Castamere" is so haunting and beautiful, but i think
that for full impact they should had Tywinn sharing that story to Arya when she asked him if he has lost a battle

[SoS spoilers]
I'm really curious about the direction they're going with Shae. TV-Shae is a responsible and visibly caring person, much more mature and independent than her book counterpart. I really wonder if they'll go through with the betrayal. It certainly will sting a lot more now that they gave her a lot of positive qualities.
SOS spoiler.
of course they'll go through with the betrayal, their building her up the way they are because they want it to sting. it's a defining moment for Tyrion. I dunno that they'll have Dinklage strangle her to death, but I'd give them major props if they did.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
why is there so much black bars? Can you fuckers go to the other thread? isn't that is why they created it? why clutter up this thread with that literal inside conversations with people that didn't read the books? GTFO with that shit.

This is show discussion for book readers. If you want show discussion for non-book readers, there's a thread for that. The unmarked spoiler thread is a book thread, primarily.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Osha goes with Rickon leaving Bran with Hodor and the Reeds.

That right there is the problem.
A kid who can't walk and a giant with the IQ of a rock trying to traverse a dangerous land and make it across the wall? They need someone with them who can actually keep them from getting killed within 2 minutes of setting out.

frequency

I thought this thread was for people who read the books and are watching the show?
The other one has "NO BOOK SPOILERS" in front of it.

duckroll

Erm, before you call people fuckers can you look to see which thread you're in? Don't want any book comparisons or discussion at all? Go to the NON-BOOK thread! :p

Zabka

We who bear knowledge of the sacred text look beyond the bars.

That right there is the problem.
A kid who can't walk and a giant with the IQ of a rock trying to traverse a dangerous land and make it across the wall? They need someone with them who can actually keep them from getting killed within 2 minutes of setting out.

Yeah, unless they magic'd up a character out of nowhere they would need them. Osha might do but she's way off the mark.
Plus they need Jojen for Bran warging out.

bengraven

Har har!

(SOS)
Ygritte: So, d’you believe us now, Jon Snow? Did you see the giants on their mammoths?
Tormund Giantsbane: Har! The crow’s in love! He means to marry one!
Longspear: A giantess?
Tormund Giantsbane: No, a mammoth, Har!

“If a man does not use his member, it grows smaller and smaller until one day he wants to piss, and cannot find it.”

Lothar

Banned
All of those things go back to Shae trying to hide. If Sansa gets in deep shit and Cersei starts looking in depth at what's going on she might uncover Shae. And it's not like she has to be completely heartless; just because she's selfish doesn't mean she wants to see a teenaged girl get raped.

(SoS)

I don't buy that. Sansa getting in deep shit by insulting the Queen or Joffrey does not put Shae in any harm. What is putting her in harm is her putting a knife to a maid's throat. It's an entirely selfless act. It's going to be hard for audiences to swallow Tyrion murdering her. Not hard in that it'll make him a shades of gray character. Hard in that it'll make him a villain. It was already questionable in the books when she didn't do anything to make herself likable. When she didn't do any selfless acts. When she didn't give a shit about Sansa and if I remember correctly, even made fun of her.

apana

For those who were okay with [series spoiler]
the Reeds being out, did you want Ros leading Bran beyond the Wall? Osha and Rickon have their own journey and we don't know what happens with Bran, Meera, and Jojen but George does. Oh and I'm gonna make a prediction, Ygritte and Bran will meet up. Who do you guys think should play the Reeds?

Socreges

Banned
iB3ryxCIH3Hpt.gif

jett

D-Member
Oh wow they made me think this season
Shireen
didn't exist in the TV show, lulz. Really awesome casting list overall.

why are we spoilering the casting news anyway, the non-readers don't even know who we are talking about

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Someone's been drinking!

BJdXP.png

apana

Oh wow they made me think this season
Shireen
didn't exist in the TV show, lulz. Really awesome casting list overall.

why are we spoilering the casting news anyway, the non-readers don't even know who we are talking about

I was extremely optimistic about casting regarding season 3 but even I didn't imagine we would get all these characters. [series spoiler]
Though I did think Shireen was coming eventually.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
(SoS)

I don't buy that. Sansa getting in deep shit by insulting the Queen or Joffrey does not put Shae in any harm. What is putting her in harm is her putting a knife to a maid's throat. It's an entirely selfless act. It's going to be hard for audiences to swallow Tyrion murdering her. Not hard in that it'll make him a shades of gray character. Hard in that it'll make him a villain. It was already questionable in the books when she didn't do anything to make herself likable. When she didn't do any selfless acts. When she didn't give a shit about Sansa and if I remember correctly, even made fun of her.

All those things you listed show her being helpful to Sansa, not Tyrion. They don't change the fact she could easily be a lying, conniving twat towards Tyrion.
And I didn't find his actions in the book questionable at all. She deserved it, and the one two combo of her and Tywin had me smiling afterwards for a long time. Probably one of the most satisfying moments in the entire series. After all the asshole behavior from his father and lying backstabbing bullshit from Shae, they both get what they deserve. If anything it's Tywin that will be the problem. They've made him way way waaaaaay more likable in the show. I will genuinely be upset when he dies.

Casting list

[ASOS]
It seems kind of dumb that they're going to have Edmure Tully and the Tully stuff in S3 when they've completely cut out the Tully subplot for S1 & S2 and merged Edmure's role into TV Robb.

I know for the Red Wedding they need to have a wedding, but it's going to be weird to have the Tully's come in so late.

Same with Stannis suddenly having a daughter & wife when they cut them completely in S2 and made it seem like he had neither.

Disagree (ASOS)
I'm sure that they will cover Edmure's fuck up that allowed Tywin to end up in Kings Landing and ruined Robb's plan to destroy the Lannister forces. Hell it was the conversation we heard for one of the Edmure audition tapes.

They have mentioned Stannis' wife several times this season.

Very pleased with that casting list.

SoS spoiler

No Oberyn Martell?
in that casting....S4 I guess?

Yeah I would assume.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
All those things you listed show her being helpful to Sansa, not Tyrion. They don't change the fact she could easily be a lying, conniving twat towards Tyrion.
And I didn't find his actions in the book questionable at all. She deserved it, and the one two combo of her and Tywin had me smiling afterwards for a long time. Probably one of the most satisfying moments in the entire series. After all the asshole behavior from his father and lying backstabbing bullshit from Shae, they both get what they deserve. If anything it's Tywin that will be the problem. They've made him way way waaaaaay more likable in the show. I will genuinely be upset when he dies.
[ASoS]
Not only did I smile when he killed both of them but I was actually cheering Tyrion on. I loved that Tyrion killed his father while he was on the toilet and imagined what people thought when they found him like that. :lol

PersonaX

Blackfish and everything...this seriously made my night.

Not sure how legit this is since i can't check it out myself (Can't access westeros.org for some reason), but apparently a mod posted this there

Little birds have told us that Ramsay Snow, Lord Bolton’s bastard, is also being cast, and a leaked audition revealed that the sellsword Vargo Hoat was also casting. We’ve ever heard whispers of some other characters in the East that Daenerys shall be meeting, besides Daario Naharis.

Ramsay, man, fucking Ramsay...so awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom