• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah, and we're back to John-Dany-Arya-Robb plot hopping.

I REALLY hope they find a better way to handle Dany next season. She was one of the highlights of S1, but she was one of the low points of S2, both due to the source. Dany had lots to do in GoT, and shitall to do in CoK.

She gets more to do, but she doesn't improve very much either.

Would you have cast any of them as Arya? If Meera is described as being cute in the book, then never mind. But that was my question.
Why does that matter? Arya is supposed to be ugly and horsefaced, so if the tv arya is the GoT version of horsefaced then by no menas are any of the actresses too cute to play Meera. Better too cute than Asha, anyway.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Robb was aged up, why does that mean Meera has to be? Unless you're arguing that Meera's age in respect to Robb's age has any relevance at all
My argument is that saying an older actress can't be Meera because she's a kid in the book isn't a good argument at all. Every one of the children in the show was aged up and doing the same for her isn't a big stretch. The show doesn't have to follow the book.

Big-E

SOS
I really fucking hope we get Belwas. Him and Selmy are the only fucking reason to be watching Dany's arc.
They don't do this then I hope the show decides to really break from the books and have her straight up murdered.

EDIT: Sorry.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
[Series]
Yeah, ladies man is always how I pictured him. The Tyrion beyond the wall, though I don't remember his wit being as perfectly shard and instilled. Still though, I've always pictured ladies man with a devilish side you don't want to go against and not just a huge outright warrior.

Series:
I don't think he's so much witty as he is eloquent and cunning. This is a guy who got past the Wall and infiltrated Winterfell on two different occasions, rose from deserter to leader of the wildlings, orchestrated Theon and "Arya"'s escape, and is a pretty talented musician to boot. He's pretty much the James Bond of Westeros.

And if they get someone big like Henry Ian Cusick to play Mance, I can see them altering the story to get him more screentime, such as having him be a part of Jon Snow's party that scales the wall, have him captured in the battle of Castle Black, and then escape back to the Wildlings, or something of that sort.

It's not that big of a leap at all when you consider the Episode title, the episode number, the fact that SoS is roughly being split in half, and the various chapters in the book that heavily feature "Autumn Storms" that take place roughly around the point Ep7 should be were they to roughly split the book in two.

ASOS
Yeah and if you place the RW based on the book, it wouldn't even be in season 3. I don't think that the episode title 'Autumn Storms' implies RW in episode 8 either.

Some significant unmarked spoilers on this page guys.

My argument is that saying an older actress can't be Meera because she's a kid in the book isn't a good argument at all. Every one of the children in the show was aged up and doing the same for her isn't a big stretch. The show doesn't have to follow the book.
Most of those characters were aged up because of issues with sex/nudity and killing

Meera's story doesn't follow that sort of course at all, she just hangs out with Bran and Jojen. Its important she appears to be a child IMO, which would explain why she spends her time with Bran

But I guess they skipped over that whole part of the story anyway

Its not a big deal, it would just be preferable if she looked closer to Brans age IMO

Socreges

Banned
Why does that matter? Arya is supposed to be ugly and horsefaced, so if the tv arya is the GoT version of horsefaced then by no menas are any of the actresses too cute to play Meera. Better too cute than Asha, anyway.
I like Maisie Williams a lot, but I suspect it's hard to find young girl actresses uglier than this:

Maisie+Williams+2yD3Azm1UBAm.jpg

All three girls posted for Meera would have to be described as "beautiful". They're as beautiful or more beautiful than characters that GRRM goes out of his way to describe as being beautiful (Cersei, Sansa, Dany). This is why I'm curious (although ultimately would not really give a shit).

I'll ask for a third time: is Meera described as being at all attractive?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Most of those characters were aged up because of issues with sex/nudity and killing

Meera's story doesn't follow that sort of course at all, she just hangs out with Bran and Jojen. Its important she appears to be a child IMO, which would explain why she spends her time with Bran

But I guess they skipped over that whole part of the story anyway

Its not a big deal, it would just be preferable if she looked closer to Brans age IMO
And in the book

She was older than Bran by 7 years. It's a big age difference. The only thing is she's short like all Crannogmen.

Socreges

Banned
I really fucking hope we get Belwas. Him and Selmy are the only fucking reason to be watching Dany's arc.
They don't do this then I hope the show decides to really break from the books and have her straight up murdered.
Dude. Pretty obvious this needs a spoiler.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Sticking strictly to book descriptions probably gives a good idea of who is more likely to be cast, but I mean, come on; isn't Asha described as smoking hot but the show "Yara" is anything but that. Xaro is white, show Xaro isn't. Show children probably are aged to also give the world more appeal. (along with the violence/nudity) I could easily see Jojen/Meera being older so that Bran's story makes a little more sense on the TV screen, a group of small children trekking through the dangerous North? Aging up children involved in mature storylines is pretty common, and I don't have a problem with aging up Meera at all.

I don't care if she's hot or not, that will probably not affect the casting at all. They'll pick the best Meera regardless of looks because her looks, frankly, aren't all that important for the series (as opposed to someone like Dany, who has a distinctive look and is a primary character).

Sticking strictly to book descriptions probably gives a good idea of who is more likely to be cast, but I mean, come on; isn't Asha described as smoking hot but the show "Yara" is anything but that. Xaro is white, show Xaro isn't. Show children probably are aged to also give the world more appeal. (along with the violence/nudity) I could easily see Jojen/Meera being older so that Bran's story makes a little more sense on the TV screen, a group of small children trekking through the dangerous North? Aging up children involved in mature storylines is pretty common, and I don't have a problem with aging up Meera at all.

I don't care if she's hot or not, that will probably not affect the casting at all. They'll pick the best Meera regardless of looks because her looks, frankly, aren't all that important for the series (as opposed to someone like Dany, who has a distinctive look and is a primary character).

No, she is not, at all.

Socreges

Banned

Agreed. Just found it funny that all pictures of the 'actress for Meera' were distinctly beautiful, as if that was a necessary feature for Meera.

Anbokr said:
isn't Asha described as smoking hot but the show "Yara" is anything but that.
Nope. I think Theon was more like, "She's definitely bangable if you can get past her big nose." and there was something about her confidence that made her sexy. Meanwhile, Yara in my opinion is just kind of douchey.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Cast Sally from mad men as Meera and dye her hair.

Her from mad men and Sansa/Joff/Arya/Bran are basically the only child actors in any show/movie ever that I didn't root to die asap to get the fuck off screen.

can we get back to using spoilers

Still have zero clue why anyone would be in this thread who hadn't read the books.

Should be a no spoiler thread, and a spoiler thread. No reason for the clusterfuck we have.

Still have zero clue why anyone would be in this thread who hadn't read the books.

Should be a no spoiler thread, and a spoiler thread. No reason for the clusterfuck we have.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what you think until next year's thread for season 3. Now everyone needs to follow the rules. Use the unmarked spoilers thread if you can't follow the rules.

You're going to have to get over this, mang.

Not to mention that casting older does have some benefits. For starters, you're typically going to get a better actor. And then you get to avoid the weird (Sansaaaaaaaaaaaa) growth spurts that kids have in the months between filming seasons.

Not only that but you have to worry about consent with nudity etc

Socreges

Banned

Can't speak for everyone, but the middleground works for me since I'd like to discuss ACOK/ASOS (which I've read) while avoiding AFFC/ADWD spoilers (haven't yet read).

Speevy

Banned
I'm glad Joffrey is a believable boy who is played by an adult.

I would've hated it if they had recast him, or if he changed drastically.

Zabka

Ashur needs to be on the show period.

Also, speaking of Spartacus. I'm once again going to champion Oenomaus for Strong Belwas!!!

spartacus-Peter-Mensah.jpg

I always pictured characters in the books as familiar people but for some reason Strong Belwas looked like a Samurai Shodown sprite in my head.

Agreed. Just found it funny that all pictures of the 'actress for Meera' were distinctly beautiful, as if that was a necessary feature for Meera.

Well I posted pictures of Sarah Bolger because fits, and I think you can make a little more plain if you want too, I mean look at gilly. Maybe if we found some young actresses that were plain Jane, someone can post those, for fairness sake

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, Bolger is cute, but not astonishingly so
Well I posted pictures of Sarah Bolger because fits, and I think you can make a little more plain if you want too, I mean look at gilly. Maybe if we found some young actresses that were plain Jane, someone can post those, for fairness sake
Yeah. Was more talking about the two apana posted. I can definitely see Bolger as being more plain.

tmdorsey

You know I was thinking it would be cool if
When Tywin has his sit down with Cersei and Tyrion and finds out Arya is missing he has a lightbulb moment and figures out that's who his cupbearer was.

Altazor

somehow when I was reading ADWD I pictured Peter Mensah as (ADWD SPOILERS)
Brown Ben Plumm
. And yes, I know his skin is probably darker than the character's, but still... I guess he has that fierce look in his eyes but can also appear peaceful and/or wise.

EDIT: And YES to Purefoy as Mance. Also, I agree with the suggestion of Kevin McKidd as ANYTHING - he needs to be "rescued" from that shitty show.

Famassu

series spoiler
So hasn't the books, LOL
[series]
Her storyline has advanced shittons. Just because she isn't in Westeros yet doesn't mean it hasn't. AGOT was about her coming into her own as a person from the timid girl who was in the shadow of her big brother. ACOK was an integral part of her story which lead her to learn that she can't depend on the powers of others, but has to pave her own way. In ASOS she starts to do that by getting her army & conquering a few cities and ADWD is about her fight against slavery (which has been a big part of her character from the very first book) and her learning to be a Queen, from which she has no experience of (and if she didn't go through the stuff she goes through in ADWD, she would've been eaten alive well before she even sat on the Iron Throne, just like every other character in the series who has tried to do the RIGHT things instead of the wise-yet-perhaps-not-always-honorable things that would get the things done).

bengraven

Viggo Mortensen for Red Viper. What say you?

He was who I had in mind when reading. Viggo with long dark hair and a shock of white. With Monica Bellucci on his side as his paramour.

I'm fully behind Oded in the role, though.

Is Meera supposed to be that cute?

She's 16 in the books, so older than Dany, Sansa, and Margaery.

And cute: Theon considers plowing her fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom