• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
For those who read the books(no spoilers in this post, btw):

Since the show started, have you gone back and read any of the books and, if so, do you imagine them to look like their counterparts in the show?

The only characters I don't picture like their actors are Jon because I don't imagine him to be that stupid looking. Cersei because it's not how the book describes her. Asha because it's not how the book describes her. I kind of imagine the same Robb but a 10 years younger version.

frequency

I'm GoT newb and sorry if this is asked before, but did lord Tyrion die in the battle in last episode? He's too awesome to die.
No, he did not.

Yeah, I really wish his plot this season hadn't made him seem like an incapable idiot.
I blame Dany. They had to give her too many scenes and compressed Jon's too much, which made it stupid. Dany is the cause for all the bad things in the show!

series, I guess -
Jon doesn't really grow up until he gets stuck with the wildlings for a while, and really doesn't grow up until he gets back to Castle Black and becomes Lord Commander. So his actions right now, for the most part, are showing him still in his learning phase.

does anyone buy HBO's Jon Snow being competent enough -SoS spoiler-
to replace the Old Bear?
I liked some of what they did with him in S1, but in S2 they've made him an impetuous man child.

frequency

series, I guess -
Jon doesn't really grow up until he gets stuck with the wildlings for a while, and really doesn't grow up until he gets back to Castle Black and becomes Lord Commander. So his actions right now, for the most part, are showing him still in his learning phase.

It hasn't shown him learning anything. It should be his learning phase, but they took that way for Ygritte's sake.

does anyone buy HBO's Jon Snow being competent enough
to replace the Old Bear?
I liked some of what they did with him in S1, but in S2 they've made him an impetuous man child.

He was fine until he went beyond the wall and met Ygritte. Then the show changed to be all about developing her character at the expense of Jon.

It was really only two episodes though. I'm sure they'll turn it around now that he's back with Qhorin and captured. I trust they'll fix his character.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Today's design at teefury.com.

1337712452_BOTTOM_22.jpg

- EW.com: 'Game of Thrones' ratings dip for 'Blackwater'
Yes, the show dipped to 3.4 million viewers for the show’s premiere airing Sunday night (recap here), down 13 percent from last week. Thing is, the decline isn’t surprising due to the Memorial Day weekend, which often sees about a 20 percent reduction in overall TV viewership (and, just saying, last year the show’s seventh episode aired this weekend, delivering only 2.4 million viewers).

- TVbytheNumbers: Sunday Cable Ratings
Game of Thrones was in second place with a 1.6 adults 18-49 rating, down from last week's 2.0.

anaron

The show completely failed in stringing along any sort of warring tension this season so I'm not surprised. (the episode itself was fantastic, don't get me wrong)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The show completely failed in stringing along any sort of warring tension this season so I'm not surprised. (the episode itself was fantastic, don't get me wrong)

it would be interesting to ask the average viewer "so, what's this season of Game of Thrones actually about?"

Vyer

If I'm reading that right, seems in line with Memorial weekend drops (or better than average) and still considerably higher than S1's memorial weekend.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I knew a girl with the second name 'Meera' that perfectly fit the description of 'short and slim with long brown hair and green eyes' so I always thought of her being Meera in the book. It felt kinda creepy imagining real girls I used to know as my fantasy characters, but she fit the description so well. If she was cast people probably wouldn't complain, and I know how picky nerds can get over the way characters look.

One of my friends imagined her too.

Eh I wouldn't feel guilty.

If I knew a 6'6 body builder with the name Greg it would be hard not to think of him as Gregor.

If I knew an extremely short man named Tyrion etc etc

- Via WiC.net: Interview with Jack Gleeson (youtube)

If I'm reading that right, seems in line with Memorial weekend drops (or better than average) and still considerably higher than S1's memorial weekend.
Yup. Since it's a holiday weekend, it's no surprise that the numbers are down. I will point out that S1's Memorial Day weekend numbers were also a bit lower because that was the episode released early on HBO Go, but this week still had more initial viewers than any episode from S1.

As far as I am aware, for HBO and similar networks it matters more how many viewers they had for the week including repeats and not just Sunday's show.
That's correct. They're more concerned with the cumulative number once you add in reruns, on demand, HBO Go, etc...

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Whether this is true or not this has absolutely nothing to do with the ratings. The ratings have been extremely stable and there's no reason people would suddenly not watch episode 9. It was the holiday.

Meier

Purefoy would be rad, but he's already working on another show. It's not going to happen.

OMG this has the worst synopsis I've ever heard.
The series follows an FBI agent who finds himself in the middle of a network of serial killers, when a diabolical serial killer uses special technology to create them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Following

It'll be canceled in no time flat, there's still hope for those who want him involved.

Purefoy as any character would be too distracting. (I had that problem with Sean Bean too)

Some of you guys are acting like he's a big star.. the dude has been in Rome and had very little success since then. :lol Rome was 5+ years ago.

Wray

ACOK
With Blackfish and Edmure confirmed for S3, you guys think we'll finally see Riverrun? It wasn't really necessary for the first two seasons.
AFFC:
But will be later in the series with Jamie laying siege to it....

I would imagine the majority of Robb/Cat's season arc will take place in Riverrun. We'll definitely get a Riverrun set and map location for it though. Especially when you consider that next season we might only be getting two new locations. Astapor and Riverrun. Though we might get Yunkai also if they don't merge the events there into Astapor.

No. This show had been incredibly steady and reached the season highest ratings last week. There is only one reason for the drop and it's been mentioned already. HBO doesn't really care much though, total viewers for the week will probably be the highest yet.

gutshot

OMG this has the worst synopsis I've ever heard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Following

It'll be canceled in no time flat, there's still hope for those who want him involved.

Some of you guys are acting like he's a big star.. the dude has been in Rome and had very little success since then. :lol Rome was 5+ years ago.

Actually, the show sounds kinda interesting. Purefoy as the serial killer that has spawned a legion of serial killer followers via his internet activity while behind bars and Kevin Bacon has to track them all down with Purefoy's help. Sort of Silence of the Lambs with a technological twist.

At any rate, it is a mid-season show and Fox generally signs their actors to exclusivity contracts, which means Purefoy would be unable to appear in another show that also airs in spring 2013 (ie Game of Thrones season 3).

Meier

Actually, the show sounds kinda interesting. Purefoy as the serial killer that has spawned a legion of serial killer followers via his internet activity while behind bars and Kevin Bacon has to track them all down with Purefoy's help. Sort of Silence of the Lambs with a technological twist.

You should edit the wiki entry then because as its written it sounds like total shit and nothing like this description you provided (which sounds like it could be good).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

At any rate, it is a mid-season show and Fox generally signs their actors to exclusivity contracts, which means Purefoy would be unable to appear in another show that also airs in spring 2013 (ie Game of Thrones season 3).

Yeah, it looks pretty good. One of 2 or 3 shows next year I'll give a shot. It's a shame it'll keep Purefoy from this though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You should edit the wiki entry then because as its written it sounds like total shit and nothing like this description you provided (which sounds like it could be good).
You should watch the trailer for it. Looks really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f8H4ewQzKFM

If that doesn't convince you then you should listen to someone who has already seen the pilot.

The Following - I would let this show have sex with my daughter in front of me.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38250965&postcount=336

If that doesn't scream quality then I don't know what does.

apana

does anyone buy HBO's Jon Snow being competent enough -SoS spoiler-
to replace the Old Bear?

Don't even got me started on the Jon storyline this season, it all started off so well and ended so poorly. I know Jon and Robb are good looking but this is not a soap opera, they are fighting a war this season and growing as men. That is far more interesting than them trying to figure girls out.

In book 2 he didn't show any leadership either. Though they did turn up the stupidity and made him more emotional in the show. Hopefully they give him better writing next season, along with Dany.

I am sure we have already discussed this but the Marketing department that handles these books is dumb as hell to name the series Song of Ice and Fire.

At least HBO realized that sounds terrible and rebranded it to just Game Of Thrones. Even with people that read the books we always refer to the series as GOT.

Talon

I am sure we have already discussed this but the Marketing department that handles these books is dumb as hell to name the series Song of Ice and Fire.

At least HBO realized that sounds terrible and rebranded it to just Game Of Thrones. Even with people that read the books we always refer to the series as GOT.
It was George R.R. Martin's choice.
Martin, who likes ambiguous fiction titles because he feels they enrich the writing, chose A Song of Ice And Fire as the overall series title: Martin saw the struggle of the cold Others and the fiery dragons as one possible meaning for "Ice and Fire", whereas the word "song" had previously appeared in Martin's book titles A Song for Lya and Songs of the Dead Men Sing, stemming from his obsessions with songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom