• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

About casting, I don't really care who is who. I don't really know any celebrities but whatever. A lot of the characters cast in this show weren't how I pictured them when I read, but I don't care. They grew on me and I like them as they are now. It always happens that way - LOTR was the same thing. So I trust them to make the right decision. I felt everyone so far has been great in their roles. Even creepy Theon-sidekick-guy. He's appropriately disturbing.

And about the music - Wow. I'm glad for those links. None of the music really stood out to me while watching, but listening to these on their own, they're quite good. I might have to look into buying the soundtracks.

Can't speak for everyone, but the middleground works for me since I'd like to discuss ACOK/ASOS (which I've read) while avoiding AFFC/ADWD spoilers (haven't yet read).

I agree with this.

I haven't read ADWD (MMP feels forever away).

I imagine there are enough people who read just up to where the TV season is though. So this "middle ground" really works.
If we had one spoiler and one no-spoiler thread, I would have no place to be. I can't go in the spoiler thread because I haven't read all the books, and I can't go to the no-spoiler thread because I don't want to risk letting something slip and ruining someone else's enjoyment.

Also, I read the books forever ago so I just remember things as I see them on the show. And I like that. I don't need unmarked spoilers all over the place ruining re-surprise events for me.

Tess3ract

Banned
ASOS
Regarding Shae...The fact that she ended up in Tywin's bed (for me) was more than just a whore doing a whore's job. It opened the possibility that she was also working for him the whole time...true or not, this is what I thought as he found her in his father's bed...was I the only one that thought that? Am I way off?
I thought the same thing. I was like
"wat, she's in cahoots with him, he's telling him he can't have whores, and here he is fucking MY whore. Fuck this guy for the last time"

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So apparently Ned comes back wielding Mjölnir in the season finale.

I think they may be straying too far from the source material here...

tUL1U.jpg

apana

Would you have cast any of them as Arya? If Meera is described as being cute in the book, then never mind. But that was my question.

I'll use series spoilers just to be safe since this is getting complicated figuring what belongs in what book and what season.

[series spoilers]
I'm not sure if the word cute is used exactly but yeah I imagined her as somewhat attractive. She certainly catches Bran's eye the first time he sees her. It will be a lot easier for viewers to figure out Bran's crush if she looks good.
You have to consider the fact that this is a television show and people are going to be much more attractive than in real life. It is not that difficult to make a cute actress look plain just by putting on different types of make up and dirtying her up a bit. The actress who plays Arya is absolutely adorable eventhough she is described as looking wild and like a boy in the book. Peter Dinklage looks fantastic and if I remember correctly Jon was not described as the male model in the north in the books. I just want whoever is best and has a screen presence regardless of whether they look more or less attractive than described.

Massa

That DVD cover looks like Ned's head photoshopped on a different body.

I don't know about that guys... Ned's head was sent to Winterfell, was it not? Maybe episode 10 will be a lot more interesting than we could imagine.

Pecan1

Banned
Hey guys, I don't know what the source material but i FEEL like the Reeds arnt supposed to be cute. Isn't that all that matters

I really hope GRRM starts to use cute more to describe his characters.

Who was it that struck Tyrion in the face in the battle? Was it someone we were supposed to recognize? Tyrion seemed to think of him as an ally and was shocked when he struck.

frequency

Who was it that struck Tyrion in the face in the battle? Was it someone we were supposed to recognize? Tyrion seemed to think of him as an ally and was shocked when he struck.

I think it was that knight who Joffrey had beating Sansa a few episodes ago. When Tyrion came to stop it and threatened to kill him via Bronn if he kept interrupting.

it was Ser Mandon Moore but honestly he really hasn't done anything other than that

the guy who beat Sansa was Ser Meryn, same guy who fought Syrio in season 1

Massa

I thought the queen demanded he be returned.

There are so many characters in this show.

She demanded Pycelle back, and it was pretty funny seeing him back without his beard in Blackwater.

Slynt was doing Joffrey's bid so nobody gives a shit about him.

For those who read the books(no spoilers in this post, btw):

Since the show started, have you gone back and read any of the books and, if so, do you imagine them to look like their counterparts in the show?

For me, I'm finishing up the 5th book and I imagine them to all be mostly like their TV counterparts, I think Joffrey was an excellent casting decision, personally. Most of the main cast is like projected versions of my brain. But for the longest time I imagined him looking like Ray McKinnon, who I saw as the District Attorney in Season 4 of Sons of Anarchy:

Since Stannis started popping up in the show I keep thinking its all wrong, but obviously not :lol

Anybody else in a similar situation? Or am I alone?

I don't post on this board or thread much, so excuse me if I'm barging in on the conversation.

LuchaShaq

Banned
For those who read the books(no spoilers in this post, btw):

Since the show started, have you gone back and read any of the books and, if so, do you imagine them to look like their counterparts in the show?

For me, I'm finishing up the 5th book and I imagine them to all be mostly like their TV counterparts, I think Joffrey was an excellent casting decision, personally. Most of the main cast is like projected versions of my brain. But for the longest time I imagined him looking like Ray McKinnon, who I saw as the District Attorney in Season 4 of Sons of Anarchy:

Since Stannis started popping up in the show I keep thinking its all wrong, but obviously not :lol

Anybody else in a similar situation? Or am I alone?

I don't post on this board or thread much, so excuse me if I'm barging in on the conversation.

I read all of the books last summer after watching 1-2 episodes.

Am currently rereading them (almost done already again, fast reader).

The only people that don't fit my imagination.

Cersei - Kinda obvious, younger/crazy attractive in my mind. Bothered me in Season 1 but she has been better this season by leaps and bounds especially with Sansa last ep so it's fine.

Jon - Not an emo male model in the books but no biggie.

The Mountain - I pictured the guy from season 1 basically before he was cast, new guy can fuck off.

Asha/Yara - I pictured a sexy but not "pretty" woman who was in shape/able to whoop ass. We got a overweight ugly girl who doesn't look like she could even kill Bran/Rickon in a fight.

Tyrion - Way uglier in my imagination

Xaro - White in the books but it's not important to his character like being a huge bad ass looking guy is important to the mountain.

Saladoor Saan - I pictured him like Solonius from Spartacus Season 1 but I'm pretty sure that's not how he is described. I just think the names being similar/some of his first lines of dialogue reminded me and it stuck. Again I don't mind.

To be honestly only Asha/The mountain bother me. The rest I don't care, close enough.

Also series spoilers/speculation about the man that attacked Tyrion
People ASSUME it was Cersei, but Tyrion was the only thing holding the defenses together if he was killed earlier Stannis could have been beheading her. I think it was Littlefinger who put the thought into Mandon Moore's mind. A. They knew eachother when they both served Jon Arryn in the Vale. B. He knows Tyrion is one of the few "players" who sees through his shit. C. He knows if Tyrion is gone Cersei will be running shit until Tywin, and Cersei fucks everything up always. D. He is a spiteful bitch mad about Tyrion tricking him with the Myrcella stuff.

I mostly don't even picture faces for people when I read, for the most part. I guess I would probably picture Sean Bean as Ned on a re-read though, just because he's the perfect actor for that part

Ray McKinnon is awesome though, he was really great on Deadwood

Avoiding everything marked in the damn spoilers, but that last episode was amazing. Amazing writing and I kind screamed for joy when I saw Neil Marshall's name pop up as the director. That was some pretty amazing stuff.

Amazing combo, that GRRM and Marshall.

Socreges

Banned
I'll use series spoilers just to be safe since this is getting complicated figuring what belongs in what book and what season.

[series spoilers]
I'm not sure if the word cute is used exactly but yeah I imagined her as somewhat attractive. She certainly catches Bran's eye the first time he sees her. It will be a lot easier for viewers to figure out Bran's crush if she looks good.
You have to consider the fact that this is a television show and people are going to be much more attractive than in real life. It is not that difficult to make a cute actress look plain just by putting on different types of make up and dirtying her up a bit. The actress who plays Arya is absolutely adorable eventhough she is described as looking wild and like a boy in the book. Peter Dinklage looks fantastic and if I remember correctly Jon was not described as the male model in the north in the books. I just want whoever is best and has a screen presence regardless of whether they look more or less attractive than described.
Huh.

Also, Jon was definitely described as being handsome.

My point was just to express my surprise that you chose two beautiful girls as casting options since that would become a defining characteristic of Meera (beautiful) if either is cast. Which is fine. But fuck, we relentlessly discuss the relative attractiveness of these characters and I don't think me asking simply "Is Meera supposed to be cute?" is at all out of order. Thanks for answering, though!
I hadn't forgotten that, but just chalked it up to Bran meeting so few young girls.

apana

Huh.

Also, Jon was definitely described as being handsome.

My point was just to express my surprise that you chose two beautiful girls as casting options since that would become a defining characteristic of Meera (beautiful) if either is cast. Which is fine. But fuck, we relentlessly discuss the relative attractiveness of these characters and I don't think me asking simply "Is Meera supposed to be cute?" is at all out of order. Thanks for answering, though!
I hadn't forgotten that, but just chalked it up to Bran meeting so few young girls.

You don't think Peter Dinklage looks good? Even George has mentioned how he is much better looking than the Tyrion he had imagined. As for the two girls I chose for Meera, those were fan castings I have seen. I don't think you asking if Meera is cute is out of order, it's just that I think that this is a television show and unless the character is described specifically as being ugly or having some unique facial feature it is not a big deal if the ultimate choice ends up being more attractive than described. Frankly many of the characters who were not noted for their looks do look good on the show. Jon looks like Ned and I think Ned was described as kind of normal or unremarkable. No way either Sean Bean or Kit Harrington fit that. Though to be fair that could just be in comparison to Brandon. I'm completely fine with it going the other way also as was the case with Michelle Fairley who gave a brilliant performance eventhough some questioned if she was beautiful enough to play Catelyn.

Socreges

Banned
apana said:
You don't think Peter Dinklage looks good? Even George has mentioned how he is much better looking than the Tyrion he had imagined.
Dinklage is maybe the most handsome dwarf I've ever seen. But he still doesn't escape the "handsome... for a dwarf" box. And he still affects the same reactions of shock/amusement that he does in the book, just by virtue of being a dwarf.

Ignis Fatuus said:
How could he not be, considering his parentage?
Ned is one handsome devil.

[series]
Having read only up to ASOS, I'll have to figure this is one of those ridiculous wink/nudge posts that really shouldn't be made. Or I'm just reading into things too much and you were only suggesting that Ned is a handsome devil (?). I included the above comment to avoid making things worse.

PersonaX

I think Meera should be as young as she was in the books, because
there seems to be some romantic interest between Bran and Meera in the books, now that would be weird with a 20 something looking actress. Or they would just leave that part out completely.

apana

Cast Lindsay Lohan as Meera and be done with it. She was born for the role.

I post pictures of two attractive people that also happen to be fan choices and suddenly all hell breaks loose. If someone like Lily Collins or Caitlin Stasey were cast they wouldn't show up in their red carpet gowns all glammed up. Caitlin even did a war movie where she got all down and dirty and was looking like a normal girl.

I think Meera should be as young as she was in the books, because
there seems to be some romantic interest between Bran and Meera, now that would be weird with a 20 something looking actress. Or they would just leave that part out completely.

[series spoiler]
Bran has an innocent crush on her and she treats him like a little brother. Isaac is going to be 13 soon, it is not ridiculous for him to have a crush on someone in their early twenties. I doubt anything ever comes of it except sadness for him when she rejects him.

Socreges

Banned
I post pictures of two attractive people that also happen to be fan choices and suddenly all hell breaks loose. If someone like Lily Collins or Caitlin Stasey were cast they wouldn't show up in their red carpet gowns all glammed up. Caitlin even did a war movie where she got all down and dirty and was looking like a normal girl.
Christ, crucified, in the flesh.

I think, besides the Lohan comment, I was the only person to reply to you and my comments were barely even disagreeable.

pulga

Banned

I think, besides the Lohan comment, I was the only person to reply to you and my comments were barely even disagreeable.

Wait, what? I wasnt replying to anyone in particular, im just spouting crazy shit :lol

Hadnt seen the two fan pics until now. First one looks good.

apana

apana just really likes those actresses. lol

lol Sorry guys, [series spoiler]
Bran is my favorite character so I am really opinionated about Meera and Jojen, was so pisssed when we didn't get them for season 2.
I'm not saying that those are the only options or anything, just two choices I've seen online by various people who mantain the tumblr for characters. Though I do admit there is something about Lily Collins, it's the eyebrows, I can't stop staring at them.

edit: I have no clue about Jojen though. Not a single person comes to mind who would be good for that role. Oh and all the fancasting I've seen is of creepy looking kids so yeah don't know where they should go with that.

Gregorn

I knew a girl with the second name 'Meera' that perfectly fit the description of 'short and slim with long brown hair and green eyes' so I always thought of her being Meera in the book. It felt kinda creepy imagining real girls I used to know as my fantasy characters, but she fit the description so well. If she was cast people probably wouldn't complain, and I know how picky nerds can get over the way characters look.

One of my friends imagined her too.

The inane arguments about actors appearance bother me more than anything else in this thread. "Not ugly enough", "Not pretty enough", "Wrong side of his face is burned" etc. Isn't it more important they cast people who can portray the character correctly than how people imagine they should look based on some vague inner monologue of a point of view character in the book.

I think it's smart they cast older people for the roles of teenagers in the books. Let's be honest the majority of children can't act that well and there are other problems as well with the amount of hours minors are allowed to work. Sofar they've been lucky with two of the Stark girls being able to act well. Most of the time they have mature and experienced actors around them which helps.

Volimar

The inane arguments about actors appearance bother me more than anything else in this thread. "Not ugly enough", "Not pretty enough", "Wrong side of his face is burned" etc. Isn't it more important they cast people who can portray the character correctly than how people imagine they should look based on some vague inner monologue of a point of view character in the book.

I think it's smart they cast older people for the roles of teenagers in the books. Let's be honest the majority of children can't act that well and there are other problems as well with the amount of hours minors are allowed to work. Sofar they've been lucky with two of the Stark girls being able to act well. Most of the time they have mature and experienced actors around them which helps.

Reminds me of the forums when a Star Trek game was about to be released. Someone saw a video and said that the Enterprise's warp nacelles were rotating the wrong way and he had canceled his preorder.

Christ, everyone still fan-wanking about possible Meera actresses here, even though its been pretty much proved that the Reeds won't be in?
Never change, GAF.

You might want to read more than just a few posts and edit yours.

You are right though: Never change, GAF.

They have been confirmed for season 3.

LM4sure

Banned
The Reeds will be in season 3? That's a real surprise. If any of the book characters were optional to the core story I would have said it was the Reeds.

Lach

ACOK
With Blackfish and Edmure confirmed for S3, you guys think we'll finally see Riverrun? It wasn't really necessary for the first two seasons.
AFFC:
But will be later in the series with Jamie laying siege to it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom