• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure we have already discussed this but the Marketing department that handles these books is dumb as hell to name the series Song of Ice and Fire.

At least HBO realized that sounds terrible and rebranded it to just Game Of Thrones. Even with people that read the books we always refer to the series as GOT.

Since when have people who read the books referred to it as Game if Thrones? Maybe people who read after the show started. Most people refer to it as Ice and Fire or asoiaf.

frequency

I prefer the title "A Song of Ice and Fire" to "Game of Thrones". But that might be my bias - I prefer the Wall segments over the silly fight for which Lord gets to be king. I'm more interested in the Others than I am in the latest politics in the south. I have no interest in Dany and dragons though. She's terrible and all the characters across the ocean are terrible.

I never refer to the book series as "Game of Thrones" and no one I know who has read them does either.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I am sure we have already discussed this but the Marketing department that handles these books is dumb as hell to name the series Song of Ice and Fire.

At least HBO realized that sounds terrible and rebranded it to just Game Of Thrones. Even with people that read the books we always refer to the series as GOT.

I like A Song of Ice and Fire. It sounds romantic.

Socreges

Banned

I feel like this isn't true.

The show completely failed in stringing along any sort of warring tension this season so I'm not surprised. (the episode itself was fantastic, don't get me wrong)

While I do agree with that sentiment, the dip certainly has more to do with Memorial Day than anything else.

apana

I feel like this isn't true.

It's not true. At least I use both GOT and ASOIAF when referring to the books. Ultimately I like the title "A Song of Ice and Fire", it sounds more mystical and mysterious and it is a running theme throughout the series.

Nobody did that until the show started and became a big hit. The series is over fifteen years old. My brother recommended "A Song Of Ice And Fire" to me eleven or twelve years ago. I've been recommending "A Song Of Ice and Fire" to friends for the last decade.

Titling fantasy novels is a different ballgame from titling mainstream TV shows.

Haha well....I guess the people I am basing this off of all started reading the books after the show came out so yeah you guys are right.

Still feel like Game of Thrones is a much better overall title for the series since the whole thing really is about the strategic playing of the game. I understand ASOI&F but I think that would a better title for just the first book.

Talon

Haha well....I guess the people I am basing this off of all started reading the books after the show came out so yeah you guys are right.

Still feel like Game of Thrones is a much better overall title for the series since the whole thing really is about the strategic playing of the game. I understand ASOI&F but I think that would a better title for just the first book.
Well, I think Martin's point is that, although the Game of Thrones seems to be at the fore, that there's a greater looming thread to the whole tale.

Whenever the Others arrive.

Well, I think Martin's point is that, although the Game of Thrones seems to be at the fore, that there's a greater looming thread to the whole tale.

Whenever the Others arrive.

Yeah that's definitely what the real threat is about. I just love the title Game of Thrones. A song of Ice and Fire just sounds like a typical fantasy book to me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If I'm reading that right, seems in line with Memorial weekend drops (or better than average) and still considerably higher than S1's memorial weekend.

Seems like they should make sure to run E9+E10 back to back next week, but I doubt they're going to do that.

frequency

I do not agree. Game of Thrones is a good name for the first book only. All the book titles have been pretty good I feel. A Song of Ice and Fire is a much better name for the series. It wouldn't make sense to have it as the title for the first book. Like... at all.

I do agree that "A Song of Ice and Fire" is a more generic sounding fantasy title though. But I also think "Game of Thrones" is actually not a very good name, even though it fits with the first book's theme.

Anecdotal, and like over a decade ago but... there was absolutely no way I would have picked up a book series called "Game of Thrones". But "A Song of Ice and Fire" really caught my eye.

Opinions are fun!

I do not agree. Game of Thrones is a good name for the first book only. All the book titles have been pretty good I feel. A Song of Ice and Fire is a much better name for the series. It wouldn't make sense to have it as the title for the first book. Like... at all.

I do agree that "A Song of Ice and Fire" is a more generic sounding fantasy title though. But I also think "Game of Thrones" is actually not a very good name, even though it fits with the first book's theme.

Anecdotal, and like over a decade ago but... there was absolutely no way I would have picked up a book series called "Game of Thrones". But "A Song of Ice and Fire" really caught my eye.

Opinions are fun!

Bingo.

"A Song Of Ice and Fire" sounds like fantasy, but I don't think it sounds like generic fantasy. It sounds like a poem. An epic. It has no made up names or places in the title. "Malazan: Book Of The Fallen". Now there's a generic fantasy title.

Honestly, "A Game Of Thrones", while fitting enough for the first book, sounds a bit like John Grisham's take on a fantasy novel.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Some of you guys are acting like he's a big star.. the dude has been in Rome and had very little success since then. :lol Rome was 5+ years ago.

It's not that he's a big star. It's just that he has a very distinct quality to him that makes it hard for me to see the character that he's playing. I always just see the actor. (same with Sean Bean, whom I also don't consider to be a big star)

Are you the same guy who did the casting for the Avatar Last Airbender film?

lol.gif

Totally forgot about the whole color thing. MY EYES DONT SEE RACE

A GAME, A CLASH, A STORM, A FEAST, A DANCE (and of course the forthcoming The Winds... ). There is a clear gimmick in titles: A verb followed by a Noun. The only way i could see that working is if the first book was A Song of Ice and the final book was A song of Fire, he could book end the series with it, but that would be the only way using that title would make any sense what so ever. (But then the gimmick is ruined! Noun and noun?!)

That being said, I like the series title. It fits the series, especially the more you read. It is brought up on a few occasions in dialogue and inner monologue, likewise there are parallels to Ice and Fire littered through out the story. (Series?)
Not the least of which involves Dragons and The Others.[/spoilers]

What would you have called the series if you removed ASOIAF? Star Wars isn't called A New Hope :p

Rimfya

Banned
I only ever call the third book parts by their proper names...

A Song of Ice and Fire, A Storm of Swords, Part 1 Steel and Snow and
A Song of Ice and Fire, A Storm of Swords, Part 2 Blood and Gold.

To shorten them would be awful.

Dany

Banned
I only call it by its true name.

"Random House Audio Presents: A Storm of Swords, Book 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire, Read to you by Roy Dotrice"

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Prior to the show I called the series ASOIAF (acronym online, full name in real life) or more frequently just "Ice and Fire" out loud. Since the show I still call it ASOIAF online but in real life I just call the entire IP Game of Thrones. It's much easier to say.

frequency

Um... so in the audio book, does the reader do the female voices too? And during the... more intimate scenes? That would sound so weird.

EDIT: Oh was that clip such a scene? Sorry. I'm really slow like that. I was thinking food... Gross...

Dany

Banned
Um... so in the audio book, does the reader do the female voices too? And during the... more intimate scenes? That would sound so weird.

Roy Dotrice is a versatile human being but YES, SEX scenes are super weird, he does all the voices and his women mostly sound like 80 year old hags.

Ark

I was just thinking, wasn't Beric Dondarrion already cast in episode 6 season 1? Or am I thinking of someone else or are they just recasting him?

I've only just finished ACoK, haven't started on ASoS yet.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I didn't start reading the series until after the first season was over but I was retroactively upset they changed the first time they had sex into a rape scene on the show.

That's really the only way it would have worked with the screentime they had. Dany enjoying it only worked in the book because she had enough time for her thoughts to change, and we could see her internal monologue. If, on the show, this frightened young girl was traded away to a savage warlord, and suddenly enjoyed having sex with him when she should be terrified, it would be ridiculous.

A GAME, A CLASH, A STORM, A FEAST, A DANCE (and of course the forthcoming The Winds... ). There is a clear gimmick in titles: A verb followed by a Noun. The only way i could see that working is if the first book was A Song of Ice and the final book was A song of Fire, he could book end the series with it, but that would be the only way using that title would make any sense what so ever. (But then the gimmick is ruined! Noun and noun?!)

That being said, I like the series title. It fits the series, especially the more you read. It is brought up on a few occasions in dialogue and inner monologue, likewise there are parallels to Ice and Fire littered through out the story. (Series?)
Not the least of which involves Dragons and The Others.[/spoilers]

What would you have called the series if you removed ASOIAF? Star Wars isn't called A New Hope :p

Opinions are fun!

Yeah and you guys are raising really good points.

I guess the reason I like the title of "Game of Thrones" is because it doesn't sound like fantasy. I consider this series to be on such a other tier when it comes to the genre that just labeling it "fantasy" in my mind doesn't do it justice. I enjoy fantasy titles of course. I have read 4 books out of the Wheel of Time series, Name of the Wind, Mistborn, ect. I really enjoy all they have to offer but its the political intrigue and strategy that is the most compelling thing about these books to me. How each character will act and counterattack to situations. It very much embodies the idea of chess and because of that even though you have the Ice and Fire always looming I feel like the spirit of the books is better tied to a name like "Game of Thrones" than SOI&F.

Of course just my opinion.

Also I picked up the first book just based on the name "Game of Thrones". I didn't even realize it was from the SOI&F series. I wasn't looking for another Wheel of Time esque journey(Which is what SOI&F sounded like) so the name absolutely sold me on it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, "A Game of Thrones" feels like a wholly appropriate title for the complete series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom