• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
also i was squinting preeeetty hard at Mance Rayder's encampment, but

mammoths
shadowcats
giant eagles
giants
every other fantasy creature

le-sigh

Really? Why would they bother showing any of that from afar? I don't think you can take that to imply none of that will exist later. I think we should be glad we got such a massive army shot in the first place.

aceface

Oh shit guys. O shit oh shit. Varys is going to send Ros to Dany isn't he. Cause she does not have any handmaidens now.fml.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I thought that was an Other, not a wight.
This is why we all hate that they changed Others to White Walkers. Too many people get confused with the two. It's a lot easier to tell the difference between Others and Wights than it is to tell the difference between White Walkers and Wights because most think they say Whites when they're saying Wights.

ultron87

Loved everything about the season. Only gripe is like others have said, the Jon/Qhorin thing. I think the changes would have been perfectly fine if they just added a couple lines cementing the fact that this is Qhorin's play to send Jon in as a double agent. Wasn't clear at all, looks like he legitimately joins them like some kind of Anakin Skywalker figure lol.

Didn't Qhorin say that he wanted Jon to join them in the last episode they were in and then very loudly get pissed off at Jon?

LuchaShaq

Banned
If Varys sends Ros to Dany fuck this show and whatever family friend/boyfriend/relative she has in HBO that has gotten her this far.

Also show version of ghost is fucking worthless. Seriously they might as well not even had the direwolves if they are going to use them this little.

Honestly at this point I hope the show gets canned sooner than later because the vast majority of season 2 outside of Blackwater was complete garbage as a show even if you don't think of the books.

This is why we all hate that they changed Others to White Walkers. Too many people get confused with the two. It's a lot easier to tell the difference between Others and Wights than it is to tell the difference between White Walkers and Wights because most think they say Whites when they're saying Wights.

blah blah blah, yeah i edited my fucking posted before the first person quoted me! :p

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

They must have changed the name from Others due to LOST, right?

Amir0x

Banned
This one thing would have fixed a good deal of my problems with her season 2 arc. A girl should get her hands dirty as well after all.

It really makes no sense why they pussyfied her material either. One, they already had her kill someone in the show. Two, it would have made way better tv to see her have to endure the trauma at Harrenhal. Now instead they humanized Tywin (why!? I liked those scenes between them, but again, this was in exchange for something that would have been even better, that is to say... the trials and tribulations Arya had to face), and Arya was sitting there in the comparable lap of luxury and of course waited too long to kill Tywin, which again made no sense. Just no sense to be had with the changes the showrunners make. If it's in the name of better tv, I'm all for it - I don't need a literal adaptation - but virtually every change makes the plot nonsensical, and makes the tv show worse.

Emerson said:
Really? Why would they bother showing any of that from afar? I don't think you can take that to imply none of that will exist later. I think we should be glad we got such a massive army shot in the first place.

It's not that they would 'bother' - it's that if they were in the show at all, they would have been there. No way they could have hid giants in that encampment, let alone mammoths. They're simply not in the show, period. Budget.

Coop

Oh shit guys. O shit oh shit. Varys is going to send Ros to Dany isn't he. Cause she does not have any handmaidens now.fml.

ipvylLAgiSrMC.gif

mammoths
shadowcats
giant eagles
giants

le-sigh

Maybe it was speculation I was reading, but I thought I remembered reading that {ASOS}
for the giants, they were going to do something similar to how they did the direwolves this year- put some makeup on a person and film them in front of a green screen and scale them up.

They have to have the more crazy fantastical stuff like the shadowcats and mammoths and eagles and chariots of bones. At least the giants riding the mammoths- seeing all that crazy shit is sort of Jon's "I'm not in Kansas anymore" moment

To avoid wight/white confusion, I propose wights = zombies and whites = super zombies.

But White Walkers aren't supposed to be zombies at all. They're like Ice People.

Its funny how the show changed the Others to "White Walkers' to avoid confusion with Lost, but now its getting people confused with the Wights and White Walkers. Its an important difference though.

Azrael

Why are the writers making the Starks even dumber on the show than they are in the books? First, we had Cat release Jaime without the excuse that she was hysterical after being told Bran and Rickon were dead. Many book readers didn't like Cat freeing Jaime as it was, but they somehow managed to make it even worse. Now we get Robb and Jeyne/Talisa/whatever's marriage. In the book, Jeyne is pregnant and Robb doesn't want his child to have the kind of life Jon Snow had, so his sense of honor compels him to break his vow to Walder Frey and marry the girl. On the show, Robb is just a horny teenager. How are viewers expected to root for these chumps anymore?

Dany

Banned
Good finale, liked how they ended it with Sam. House of the Undying was super-lame but completely understandable why they did that. I would have liked more jon and ygritte in the finale.
It was a lot to stuff into the finale and they haven't even addressed Cat and Robb knowing about Bran and Ricken.

If anything I am super glad that the next book is split in half. Hopefully it isn't as mangled as this season.

Well, remember the offer Roose promised Robb he'd send? "Give us Theon and you can go home". Looks like that's what they did.

Yup, ASOS
looks like the Iron Born gave Theon to Ramsay in pardon for their way back home. Ramsay then razed Winterfell and took Theon.

They'll probably cover it early in Season 3.

Didn't Qhorin say that he wanted Jon to join them in the last episode they were in and then very loudly get pissed off at Jon?
Yes. I never read the books and I completely understood that Jon is meant to be a double agent thanks to Qhorin's dialogue last week. There's almost zero ambiguity about it as far as I'm concerned...

I am so confused by how Theon's thing ended.

What happened to the army? Who burned Winterfell?

Show cuts, son. Remember Bolton told Robb that his bastard could raise men to retake winterfell, that's what happened they just did it offscreen.

Roose's bastard also burned winterfell, his reasons will be revealed...

Good not great episode. House of Undying was a tad underwhelming, no RW glimpse, but the Drogo/Dany scene was a very good one that was the episodes emotional high.

My god they have fucking WRECKED the Jon storyline. How hard would it have been to have the wildlings settle camp and have Jon/Qhorin have a 1-minute hushed discussion like

Qhorin: You're going to have to kill me
Jon: Wuh huh how why?
Q: Its the only way you are going to convince them to spare you
Jon: I can't I won't blah blah blah
Q: You MUST. Eat with them, sleep with them, laugh with them, learn all you can...

Instead we get Jon killing Q of his own volition, all because he said bad words about Mommy and Daddy? smh

Amir0x

Banned
Maybe it was speculation I was reading, but I thought I remembered reading that {ASOS}
for the giants, they were going to do something similar to how they did the direwolves this year- put some makeup on a person and film them in front of a green screen and scale them up.

They have to have the more crazy fantastical stuff like the shadowcats and mammoths and eagles and chariots of bones. At least the giants riding the mammoths- seeing all that crazy shit is sort of Jon's "I'm not in Kansas anymore" moment

You would think, but I've had my suspicions for a while that they're simply going to ignore most of that stuff since it seems so far to be completely besides the point to the primary plots.
Sure it makes sense as a character building exercise, but the exercise would be too expensive for the tv show. I was hoping they'd at least keep the giants, and I suspect maybe we'll get one or two of them next season, but i bet all the other fantasy creatures are out

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Good not great episode. House of Undying was a tad underwhelming, no RW glimpse, but the Drogo/Dany scene was a very good one that was the episodes emotional high.

My god they have fucking WRECKED the Jon storyline. How hard would it have been to have the wildlings settle camp and have Jon/Qhorin have a 1-minute hushed discussion like

Qhorin: You're going to have to kill me
Jon: Wuh huh how why?
Q: Its the only way you are going to convince them to spare you
Jon: I can't I won't blah blah blah
Q: You MUST. Eat with them, sleep with them, laugh with them, learn all you can...

Instead we get Jon killing Q of his own volition, all because he said bad words about Mommy and Daddy? smh

It was definitely messily done, but it's not the case that Jon actually murdered Qhorin for no reason. It was to infiltrate the wildlings. They just didn't do a great job of showing it.

Vyer

Game of Thrones was my favourite show last year and it introduced me to the wonderful book series that I would otherwise probably never have read, so it saddens me to say that the show really isn't doing anything for me any more. Its no longer a literal enough adaptation to satisfy me in that respect, and as a tv show its become very average I feel. There's been episodes this season that I've liked but the last few weeks I just haven't been anticipating the show the way I usually do. I'm not dropping it yet, there's still a few moments in each episode that make me go weak at the knees, and there's certainly a lot of great material to cover in the next few seasons, but as a whole this season has been a big let down.

If you are the type of person who can't separate the two mediums in these situations, I don't know why you wouldn't have waited to read the books. Kinda did yourself a disservice there.

Levi

Banned
HOTU, meh. A minor disappointment. I didn't expect prophecy, but they didn't even include the undying. It wasn't as terrible as I expected. Dragons looked good, and we finally saw all three.

Jon's storyline was so dumb. At least Ygritte seems about right.

Arya had a nice end, and actually acted like Arya for a second, wanting to learn to kill as effectively as Jaqen.

They skip the burning of Winterfell, which is better than doing it without
Ramsay
, I guess.

Loved that the cold came with the Others. Wished they were riding dead elk. I always imagined the Others as being very beautiful, but I can live with the desiccated version of the show.

Season One was so much better.

It really makes no sense why they pussyfied her material either. One, they already had her kill someone in the show. Two, it would have made way better tv to see her have to endure the trauma at Harrenhal. Now instead they humanized Tywin (why!? I liked those scenes between them, but again, this was in exchange for something that would have been even better, that is to say... the trials and tribulations Arya had to face), and Arya was sitting there in the comparable lap of luxury and of course waited too long to kill Tywin, which again made no sense. Just no sense to be had with the changes the showrunners make. If it's in the name of better tv, I'm all for it - I don't need a literal adaptation - but virtually every change makes the plot nonsensical, and makes the tv show worse.

It's not that they would 'bother' - it's that if they were in the show at all, they would have been there. No way they could have hid giants in that encampment, let alone mammoths. They're simply not in the show, period. Budget.

Yeah, Harrenhal was a complete waste. Arya's storyline was my favorite in the book so it was a bit harder for me to watch it being butchered than it was Jon's story, even though Jon's storyline received far more damage. I liked Arya and Tywin but it came at the expensen of stuff that would have made for better TV.

So... I am curious...

(sos)
Was the White Walker on the corpse horse that saw Sam Cold hands?

Series -
Cold hands appears, at first, to be a ranger riding an elk. He's really well bundled up and it's only after a while that they notice he's not breathing. So Cold Hands is some sort of wight, just one not bound to the will of the Others.

LProtag

While the Jon storyline was changed, I don't think it was that big of a deal. I mentioned it to the friends I just watched the finale with, all non-book readers. One of them replied:

"It was completely understandable. They set it all up with that earlier scene that you would have to be a fucking idiot to not pick up on."

And you know what, between that and the "We are the watchers on the wall" line, you get exactly what Qhorin is asking Jon to do. We didn't see him fight alongside Qhorin really, but oh well. Everyone I saw it with completely understood that Qhorin was entrusting Jon to join the wildlings and act on the inside.

Yeah it made so little sense in the show that I have to imagine the writers were high when they planned out the Jon/Quorin plotline. Now it makes Jon seem like an awful person and Quorin seem like he is just insane, and there was no character building of any sort to be found in here.

I didn't mind the Ygritte/Jon scenes, I thought they were fine, but if they were at the expense of a plotline that makes any sense, then fuck that shit.

Didn't he say two episodes ago that a Night Watch could learn a lot by infiltrating the Wildlings or did I imagine that?

GoT book spoilers

yeah, this man had infant children murdered. I know they have him sending off the Mountain to burn some fields and raze some villages, but do non readers really have an understanding of the shit this man did to make his daughter Queen?

I like Charles Glass' acting, I didnt care for this whole grandfatherly nature they've introduced to his character, this man is stone cold Machiavellian.

Azrael

mammoths
shadowcats
giant eagles
giants

le-sigh

(ASoS spoilers)
I think we'll get a few giants, but no mammoths. Giants should be relatively easy to pull off with tall actors, prosthetics, and camera trickery. CGI Mammoths would be a waste of budget. I would rather they cut them and use the money for more direwolves, dragons, and
White Walkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom