• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeth

Finale probably topped last season, could t be happier. Show has now caught up to my book progress, time to read ahead again (which has turned out to be a fantastic overall experience).

aceface

I'm a huge defender of this show but I was really disappointed in that finale.

Wtf? Sam is hiding behind a rock? Why would the others not kill him and feast on his flesh?

House of the undying was ok... So much more they could have included. You didn't have any context for any of the visions in the book ether. Then you look back and go OH! That was the whole fun.

I was on board with the changes to Jon all season but this was going too far. "stay with them, fight with them, do whatever is necessary" had to be in there!! It seemed like Jon just killed him cause he was pissed. Not happy about that.

jett

D-Member
Post Book 2 spoilers are in the tags.

Between the last two eps this season made up for previous shortcomings and ended on a really strong note.

Random impressions

-In the end the romantic angle of Robb's arc won me over,
honestly made me think what a piece of shit GRRM is, seriously.*cue whywouldyoudothat.jpg*

-Great showing of Brienne's badassery.

-I don't understand what happened with Theon, the show is definitely going down its own path with this guy. I imagine we will see plenty of him next season.

-They gave Haqen a proper send-off, best new character of the season. Maybe in S3 they'll make up for what was done to Arya's story.

-I felt for Tyrion. :(

-They did ok with the House of the Undying, they did more than I thought they would to be honest, and it was awesome seeing Drogo again. :( Sadness. I don't mind that they skipped the predictions/prohecies, it was unnecessary. Drogo makes up for whatever!

-Jon's arc was dumb all season and ended dumb. It didn't look like he killed Halfhand because he was ordered by him to do it, it looked like he was a murderer, killed him for no reason and cared little for what he did. It was weird. It seemed like he had no clue what was going on. I really do not care for Show Jon right now.

-The very end was amazing. Show ended on a incredible note yet again.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm a huge defender of this show but I was really disappointed in that finale.

Wtf? Sam is hiding behind a rock? Why would the others not kill him and feast on his flesh?

House of the undying was ok... So much more they could have included. You didn't have any context for any of the visions in the book ether. Then you look back and go OH! That was the whole fun.

I was on board with the changes to Jon all season but this was going too far. "stay with them, fight with them, do whatever is necessary" had to be in there!! It seemed like Jon just killed him cause he was pissed. Not happy about that.

Yeah it made so little sense in the show that I have to imagine the writers were high when they planned out the Jon/Quorin plotline. Now it makes Jon seem like an awful person and Quorin seem like he is just insane, and there was no character building of any sort to be found in here.

I didn't mind the Ygritte/Jon scenes, I thought they were fine, but if they were at the expense of a plotline that makes any sense, then fuck that shit.

Kaladin

I have a book question regarding Theon:
(possible spoiler for later books)
Didnt the book make it look like he died instead of just being knocked out and dragged away? I was legit surprised when he came back in Dance.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The only thing I was hugely disappointed about was the House of the Undying. I can't believe they felt the need to forgo that imagery of Westeroses future. I guess it would be too on the nose for some?

Amir0x

Banned
The Others are definitely way different looking in the show than they are in the books... but they look so cool in the show, it's definitely one of the better changes

aceface

Tyrion stole the show with that fine piece of acting. Golfham.

Yeah, the Tyrion parts were great I gotta admit. Opening scene with Joffrey in the throne room was awesome. I don't mind tv brutal Brienne. So there was good stuff. The very end just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Zabka

ASOS Spoilers (to be safe)
It wasn't until this episode that I got what I think they're going for with Jon and it's a big change from the books. By cutting down Qhorin bits and beefing up the temptation of Ygritte I think they want to make Jon look like he joined the wildings for real.

Can you throw up what you mean in spoiler tags or PM me? I caught nothing.

For instance if they had a guy with Targaryen heraldry talking to a woman with Stark heraldry holding a child, that would confirm R+L=J. Bit of a stretch i know, but an exact replication of the house of the undying would definitely spoil things

Volimar

I was really expecting Tywin to offer Tyrion a bit of praise for his heroism and ingenuity in the battle. Instead, he's cast aside. Shitty.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It wasn't until this episode that I got what I think they're going for with Jon and it's a big change from the books. By cutting down Qhorin bits and beefing up the temptation of Ygritte I think they want to make Jon look like he joined the wildings for real.
I think you're right. The only problem is [ASoS]
it'll be a bit harder to root for him when Janos Slynt is accusing him of being a defector.

Meier

Great finale. 10 episodes goes so fast. :( White Walker/wights mass reveal may have been a wee bit forced but I understand they wanted to have a big talking point for the final scene.

I liked how they handled the Qhoren/Jon Snow fight. I know people were nervous about that.

The only thing I was hugely disappointed about was the House of the Undying. I can't believe they felt the need to forgo that imagery of Westeroses future. I guess it would be too on the nose for some?

Oh absolutely, reading it in the books allows for your mind to fill in the gaps of what isn't being described, actually showing it would make it way too obvious.

Remyzero

Curious about the stones that Samwell and the other two found buried because the season did not address it much. Also it looks like the Others are preparing for an assault on the Knights Watch camp?? Winterfell has fallen :(

aceface

Yeah...(SOS)
I guess they are setting up Jon for a redemption storyline. But he has acted so doofy this whole season he doesn't seem particularly evil. Like it came out of nowhere when he killed Qhorin. So maybe he will go from doofy to having purpose, that will be his big turn.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get all worked up over changes from the book like a lot of people do, but I really wish they had left in Arya [ACoK]
cutting the guard's throat to escape Harrenhall

The ending was awesome, didn't expect white walkers to be corpses / zombie-ish.

What did you expect them to look like? They ARE corpses/zombies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
(Spoilers for ASOS)
But my friend I have! Doesn't he kill a White Walker with the obsidian?! In the boom I'm pretty sure he wasn't faced with an entire horde of wights but I may be remembering wrong?
I was just using Plywood's tag because it's funny.

[ASoS]
In the book he was asleep when they came (about to be murdered by Chett) and he pretty much scrambles and runs away. It's not until much later that he kills an Other.

jett

D-Member

If that was their intention they completely failed at that. The Jon arc was just bad, plain bad. Bad as an adaptation, bad on its own, just bad television.

God man the Quorin/Jon story was the fucking worst change so far, even worse than Arya's story changes. I thought maybe they could salvage it but it just makes no fucking sense at all now. I don't get why they thought this was a superior alternative

I kept waiting for Ghost to show up

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So... I am curious...

(sos)
Was the Wight on the corpse horse that saw Sam Cold hands?

I don't think so which will make how it gets out of that predicament interesting. But Sam does run into him at some point and we never see that aspect of the story. I'd be awesome if they illuminate that.

Yeah...(SOS)
I guess they are setting up Jon for a redemption storyline. But he has acted so doofy this whole season he doesn't seem particularly evil. Like it came out of nowhere when he killed Qhorin. So maybe he will go from doofy to having purpose, that will be his big turn.

Jon just seems like a huge idiot in the show. Ghost has the right idea, ditch his dumb ass. I don't see how they can justify the changes they've made to his storyline, but maybe they'll surprise me.

Amir0x

Banned
also i was squinting preeeetty hard at Mance Rayder's encampment, but

mammoths
shadowcats
giant eagles
giants
every other fantasy creature

le-sigh

I don't get all worked up over changes from the book like a lot of people do, but I really wish they had left in Arya [ACoK]
cutting the guard's throat to escape Harrenhall

This one thing would have fixed a good deal of my problems with her season 2 arc. A girl should get her hands dirty as well after all.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Loved everything about the season. Only gripe is like others have said, the Jon/Qhorin thing. I think the changes would have been perfectly fine if they just added a couple lines cementing the fact that this is Qhorin's play to send Jon in as a double agent. Wasn't clear at all, looks like he legitimately joins them like some kind of Anakin Skywalker figure lol. Although perhaps the showrunners want to show that maybe Jon is thinking that the wildlings could be in the right, maybe for a second he does think of actually joining them (a deviation from the books that I wouldn't really mind).

AngryMoth

Game of Thrones was my favourite show last year and it introduced me to the wonderful book series that I would otherwise probably never have read, so it saddens me to say that the show really isn't doing anything for me any more. Its no longer a literal enough adaptation to satisfy me in that respect, and as a tv show its become very average I feel. There's been episodes this season that I've liked but the last few weeks I just haven't been anticipating the show the way I usually do. I'm not dropping it yet, there's still a few moments in each episode that make me go weak at the knees, and there's certainly a lot of great material to cover in the next few seasons, but as a whole this season has been a big let down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom