• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
I am in the middle of book 5 and I only assumed there were two..

Those that turn into zombies after dying. And the actual creatures called the white walkers that bring about the zombies.

Tess3ract

Banned
Curious about the stones that Samwell and the other two found buried because the season did not address it much. Also it looks like the Others are preparing for an assault on the Knights Watch camp?? Winterfell has fallen :(

LOL

anyways

that game of thrones episode was so disappointing

Amir0x

Banned
A man known as Jay Gatsby could probably help you make sense of it.

so i have to read an entirely unrelated novel to understand the concept for how a character from a different show/book could do it (and only potentially, mind you)? Putting Gatsby aside for a moment (i've read that book many times) there are no actual clues to the way this works in the show with Xaro. There is no indication of any sort as to what he's doing to fool people. It's just a random-ass character moment that the show has failed to actually build up to. It's completely out of the blue in all respects, AND makes no sense in the context of what we've learned.

Do people just not expect their shows to earn anything anymore?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Until we get proper gifs.

tumblr_m52pztmn1i1qzlr4yo1_500.gif

Vyer

I predicted long ago that the book complaints would get worse, but I didn't expect it to get so bad so quickly. smh

Those of you who haven't been able to handle the changes - and insist that they are all 'bad television' - should probably bail now. It's going to get further and further away from the 'source material' from here on out.

Anyhow, on the finale:

- Generally enjoyed the HOTU. The visions I pretty much did not expect to make it and would have been pleasantly surprised if they did, but too extravagant and too spoilery meant it was probably going to get cut. Loved the throne room imagery and the Drogo bits though, and the dragon attack was awesome.

- Theon speech was hilarious.

- I think the direction this version of the Jon/Halfhand arc was going was pretty clear. Qhorin obviously felt that if they both went to Mance in that capacity they would likely die, and he wanted Jon to get 'inside' as it were, hence the dying words to him. TV story never had Jon and Halfhand actually form any sort of relationship (which, in turn, makes it easier for Jon to approach his attack more as exactly that) and I can see why some people would have liked that, but well....that's not this story. I'm okay with that.

- For some reason I never could get a full on zombie picture of the Others, but it worked pretty well. Except for that CGI face. a little hokey.

- Interesting that this version of Shae seems more genuine. Looking forward to seeing where they go with that.

- Brienne scene was awesome. Definitely continue to do a good job showing how bad ass she is and that Jaime got to see it adds to that dynamic.

Overall, a good few episodes to end the season on a high note.

I never cared much about what happens in Qarth(barely anything happens), House of the Undying aside, but the changes made in the show are really for the worst. Not because they changed shit, but because most of it doesn't make sense on its own and without being compared to the booksand are just there to stretch a storyline that didn't need stretching, and to add MOAR DRAMA that just doesn't work. All they've achieved is making Dany unlikeable, with her incessant whining and screaming. I knew right from the start at the gates of Qarth that they had fucked up. Why wouldn't she just show her dragons?

Ideally, Qarth in the show should've just been a travelogue of Dany through the city with Xaro in his tent or whatever, with their conversations. None of this crap about murdered dothraki and stolen dragons, it only brought the show down.

Out of curiosity, what about Qarth doesn't make sense?

jett

D-Member
haha the graphics novel art is so bad, i always forget how bad it is

And everyone has the same face.

Also, lol, how is Xaro being all super rich all fake? HOW does this make sense? Did I miss something? Why is all of Qarth all like buying into his BS? Where is his influence coming from? His gold/gems is barely enough to buy a 'small ship'? Christ, NOTHING MAKES SENSE IN THE CHANGES

I never cared much about what happens in Qarth(barely anything happens), House of the Undying aside, but the changes made in the show are really for the worst. Not because they changed shit, but because most of it doesn't make sense on its own and without being compared to the booksand are just there to stretch a storyline that didn't need stretching, and to add MOAR DRAMA that just doesn't work. All they've achieved is making Dany unlikeable, with her incessant whining and screaming. I knew right from the start at the gates of Qarth that they had fucked up. Why wouldn't she just show her dragons?

Ideally, Qarth in the show should've just been a travelogue of Dany through the city with Xaro in his tent or whatever, with their conversations, and then THOTU. None of this crap about murdered dothraki and stolen dragons, it only brought the show down.

Arment

Sam is so fucked. How the hell is he going to get out of that?

Series
I thought he was about to shank a walker with dragon glass and run for it. Holy fuck was I not expecting that.

I want to see some Walking Dead/Game of Thrones crossover gifs.

Which bloodrider is left to Dany now that Rakharo got killed off? Aggo?

And when [aSoS]
Jorah betrays her, she won't really have any companions anymore until they introduce Missendei.

Tess3ract

Banned
Which bloodrider is left to Dany now that Rakharo got killed off? Aggo?

And when [aSoS]
Jorah betrays her, she won't really have any companions anymore until they introduce Missendei.

Series
This is something that pissed me off because he never really betrayed her. He stopped before that reveal that someone would betray her for love, yet she thinks he did. It's pretty clear it's either Victarion or Daario who fits that bill.

so i have to read an entirely unrelated novel to understand the concept for how a character from a different show/book could do it (and only potentially, mind you)? Putting Gatsby aside for a moment (i've read that book many times) there are no actual clues to the way this works in the show with Xaro. There is no indication of any sort as to what he's doing to fool people. It's just a random-ass character moment that the show has failed to actually build up to. It's completely out of the blue in all respects, AND makes no sense in the context of what we've learned.

Well, besides being another expression of Varys' riddle. Where does power lie? Who is the richest man in Qarth?

jett

D-Member
Going into wars?

Fighting battles?

You're TERRIBLE at this.

I <3 TV Shae.

(book 3)
I guess they'll set up his marriage to Sansa as one of the main reasons for Shae's betrayal? TV Shae seems to truly care for Tyrion unlike book Shae, book Shae never suggested to run off anywhere together for his sake. Dunno how else they're gonna play that.

Series
This is something that pissed me off because he never really betrayed her. He stopped before that reveal that someone would betray her for love, yet she thinks he did. It's pretty clear it's either Victarion or Daario who fits that bill.

Series
He spied on her for Varys and Robert, that's betrayal innit. At least she thinks so, especially that he was the one who told them that she was pregnant after which an attempt was made on her life

No, because topics only work if there are both camps, and if both camps are healthy (and, of course, if there are people in between too).
It really isn't terribly interesting if everyone loves or hates something, and it's certainly better for active discussion in threads if there's diversity of opinion. However, the idea that everyone has to pick a camp and that you need to be either for or against really drags down this thread (and a lot of other things on the internet.) You make a good point in the parenthesis about the people in between. We'd be much better off if everyone could tone down the name calling and vitriol around here trying to prove that their side is right. People are all over the spectrum and it's a shame that those on the edges attract most of the attention.

- Theon speech was hilarious.
I'm still laughing about that promo pic they sent out from that scene.

Good not great episode. House of Undying was a tad underwhelming, no RW glimpse, but the Drogo/Dany scene was a very good one that was the episodes emotional high.

My god they have fucking WRECKED the Jon storyline. How hard would it have been to have the wildlings settle camp and have Jon/Qhorin have a 1-minute hushed discussion like

Qhorin: You're going to have to kill me
Jon: Wuh huh how why?
Q: Its the only way you are going to convince them to spare you
Jon: I can't I won't blah blah blah
Q: You MUST. Eat with them, sleep with them, laugh with them, learn all you can...

Instead we get Jon killing Q of his own volition, all because he said bad words about Mommy and Daddy? smh
Yeah that made no sense

guys I have a huge favor :)

you know the last scene... where the badass zombie dude rolls up on the badass zombie horse... and he looks over and holds up a sword..

is there anyway someone can get me a 1080p shot of that? I would LOVE to use that as a wallpaper :)

thanks in advance

btw badass fucking episode / season

ka'leeesi killin da fuck out dat warlock bitch >:D

Dany

Banned
Hah, great pic to send out. :p

Whatever they did to Qhorin and Jon to make Jon/ygritte better is fine by me. I love me a wildling woman.

Kettch

I thought the episode was great. Only two issues were continuing to ruin the Halfhand's story, which I was pretty much resigned to, and the cheesy conversation while the horn's were blowing at the end.

That scene could have been so much more effective. Take out the dialogue for sure, maybe have a wide shot of the Fist while the horn echoes out. It was so damn chilling and awesome in the Cold Winds Rising trailer. Wish they could've recreated that. :/

1) Valid points = your opinion; I think my points are valid, too, doesn't mean I'll be a dick about it. What I will be a dick about, however, is when people berate others just because they didn't read the source material. I could give less of a fuck if you think the books are better, but please, for the love of Jules from Pulp Fiction, don't think for a minute that it makes you an authority on what is good or what other people should like.

2) Let's ban everyone that simply likes the changes made from the books? Are you serious? People who simply like either as their own entity are trolls? Surely, you must be high on a drug of some kind.

what point? you said "shut the fuck up", and that "you have no problem with the motherfucking changes"
like you came in here spoiling for a fight, all abrasive and shit. why should anyone even engage you?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
So did anyone else get super excited by the Syrio mention during the Jaqen conversation? :) For a split split second I thought they might have Jaqen face-change into him...

Great finale, very well directed. Only complaint is the Winterfell changes were rather confusing.. the non-readers who viewed the finale with me were asking what happened with the burning of Winterfell and the supposed 500 men outside the gates, and I wasn't sure how to answer.

Otherwise, great stuff all around and can't wait for next season!

Lumiere

Neo Member
Hah, great pic to send out. :p

Whatever they did to Qhorin and Jon to make Jon/ygritte better is fine by me. I love me a wildling woman.
But the problem for me is that they didn't really make Jon/Ygritte better. Sure they got more screentime, but I thought that Jon letting her go was a lot more meaningful to their relationship, and they took that out as well. I don't really get it :/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Absolutely loved Theon's bit. Hilarious and depressing at the same time.

Instead of ending Jon's arc this season. They could of had this to kick off his arc at the beginning of next season. While actually giving this episode to develop Q and what needed to be done. They already have enough endings, so setting it up and kicking it off at the start of next season might be better.

And if it is true about 20 episodes for SoS. They could have easily pushed in to it for next season. SoS
S1 of SoS being him getting acquitted with the Wildings. The escape. and eventually making it back to the Nightwatch. Part 2 being the Nightwatch defense and so forth. Giving plenty of time for him and the redhead.

House of the Undying is the first time I'm pissed with the show on a "changed from the books" level. Normally, I'm fine with changes. Blackwater is a good example. It was different than the books, but it was just as entertaining as the original, and it worked fine within the show, which is the only part I'm ever really concerned with. The books are the books and the show is the show, and if anything, the writers need to be even bolder with stepping up and making changes. But the House of the Undying was one of the absolute coolest moments of the books for me, and there was zero reason to change / leave out so much (not even budget can be an excuse; it could have easily been done 95% practically). It's not even that they changed what happened, honestly. You don't want to show the visions and prophecies and such? Fine! But they didn't swap / add in anything of substance in its place, and that's what is so damn frustrating.

(Save for an amazing cameo by Drogo. Because Drogo is fucking boss.)

I don't even remember the books in detail that well, it's been years since I read them. Maybe this is a bit closer to the source than I remember. But what I know for sure is that in the books, the sequence felt like a big climax that had been built towards for the entire book, even as on the surface not much happened. In the show it felt like an anticlimatic, hollow ending to a storyline in which damn near nothing happened. Yeah yeah, no internal monologue in TV, whatever. That's supposed to be an excuse? The show has done so well with some other storylines that I'm not about to go easy on the ones they mess up because it's "hard."

Anyway. For most of the episode up until the Jon and Dany stuff towards the end this was frigging awesome, nailing scene after scene after scene. Easily on par with last week and the last four episodes of season 1. These last two episodes have been significantly better than the rest of season 2.

Vyer

House of the Undying is the first time I'm pissed with the show on a "changed from the books" level. Normally, I'm fine with changes. Blackwater is a good example. It was different than the books, but it was just as entertaining as the original, and it worked fine within the show, which is the only part I'm ever really concerned with. The books are the books and the show is the show, and if anything, the writers need to be even bolder with stepping up and making changes. But the House of the Undying was one of the absolute coolest moments of the books for me, and there was zero reason to change / leave out so much (not even budget can be an excuse; it could have easily been done 95% practically). It's not even that they changed what happened, honestly, it's more that they took out that stuff but didn't swap / add in anything of substance in its place.

eh, I think you're right that you should probably go back and refresh on HOTU. CoK
multiple scene/environment changes, tons of 'visions' flying past at high speed rate, floating blue pulsing rotting heart, ghostly blue Undying creatures that attack Dany while she's in a 'vision', Drogon sitting on said heart, tearing at it's flesh and roasting everything around
seems like it might make the show's budget twitch a little.

Dany

Banned
(book 3)
I guess they'll set up his marriage to Sansa as one of the main reasons for Shae's betrayal? TV Shae seems to truly care for Tyrion unlike book Shae, book Shae never suggested to run off anywhere together for his sake. Dunno how else they're gonna play that.

They can totally have it happen as it did in the books, her betraya is going to be so much greater because TV shae 'care's for Tyrion

Diablos54

I'm not really sure how to feel. On one hand, I did like this season, Theon's actor was excellent, and I like Varys and Stannis more in the show than in the books (Stannis especially). But I just don't understand why they made some of the changes they did. They ruined Arya's arc by letting her pretty much lounge around (Even if I did like her scenes with Tywin), her not killing the guard and getting rid of the Tickler (Therefore removing what a lot of people see as her defining moment in the whole series thus far). They made Jon look like a fool as well as ruining his relationship with Halfhand, plus no Ghost :(. They made Robb a horny teenager by thinking with his dick, rather than going back on his promise because he didn't want a bastard (Which I felt made him look like good old Ned). And made Cat look crazy by freeing Jamie because she felt like it rather than because she thought Bran/Rickon were dead and wanted to do anything to make sure Sansa/Arya were safe. Some of those things would have been so easy to do I just don't get why they didn't, and Season 2 really suffered at some points for it IMO. They still got the big events spot on though (Blackwater, HOTU (Sorta, but no '3 betrayals' speech didn't sit well with me and it's a big part of what's to come for Dany) and the Others). Hopefully with ASOS having 2 seasons they can take more time and think things through a little better.

I think the problem with the prophecies is that once they mention them, they have to make a conscience effort to remind us of them. That's easy enough when you have internal monologue, but it comes off cheesy if Dany is going to have to be like (series spoilers)
"Oh I wonder who my lover who will betray me will be? Gotta watch out for that!"

And on some of the other visions (series spoilers)
I think the Aegon one should have been in there. And they should have left out the Red Wedding one

jett

D-Member
House of the Undying is the first time I'm pissed with the show on a "changed from the books" level. Normally, I'm fine with changes. Blackwater is a good example. It was different than the books, but it was just as entertaining as the original, and it worked fine within the show, which is the only part I'm ever really concerned with. The books are the books and the show is the show, and if anything, the writers need to be even bolder with stepping up and making changes. But the House of the Undying was one of the absolute coolest moments of the books for me, and there was zero reason to change / leave out so much (not even budget can be an excuse; it could have easily been done 95% practically). It's not even that they changed what happened, honestly. You don't want to show the visions and prophecies and such? Fine! But they didn't swap / add in anything of substance in its place, and that's what is so damn frustrating.

(Save for an amazing cameo by Drogo. Because Drogo is fucking boss.)

I don't even remember the books in detail that well, it's been years since I read them. Maybe this is a bit closer to the source than I remember. But what I know for sure is that in the books, the sequence felt like a big climax that had been built towards for the entire book, even as on the surface not much happened. In the show it felt like a flat ending to a storyline in which damn near nothing happened. Yeah yeah, no internal monologue in TV, whatever. That's supposed to be an excuse? The show has done so well with some other storylines that I'm not about to go easy on the ones they mess up because it's "hard."

Anyway. For most of the episode up until the Jon and Dany stuff towards the end this was frigging awesome, nailing scene after scene after scene. Easily on par with last week and the last four episodes of season 1. These last two episodes have been significantly better than the rest of season 2.

I never thought in a million years anyone would do THOTU justice. It's just crazy how it is described in the book, visually. It would be a massive undertaking, it's mindtripping, spectacular stuff. Were the scenes in the show spectacular stuff? Lol no, but I had appropriately low expectations, and those expectations where more or less met, and Drogo was a nice a surprise. Only I expected Drogon to fly around the last room setting everything on fire instead of how it was done in the show, but whatev.

BTW the dragons are so small still, I definitely imagined them bit bigger by now.

eh, I think you're right that you should probably go back and refresh on HOTU. CoK
multiple scene/environment changes, tons of 'visions' flying past at high speed rate, floating blue pulsing rotting heart, ghostly blue Undying creatures that attack Dany while she's in a 'vision', Drogon sitting on said heart, tearing at it's flesh and roasting everything around
seems like it might make the show's budget twitch a little.

I could see versions of most of that done practically with reasonable changes.

But again, it isn't even the specific things left out that really irks me, it's that they didn't replace them with anything of substance. Still, this is definitely something that's only bothering me since I've read the books, and I hate it when people won't shut up about that, so I'll do so.

Edit: Okay, one more thing lol

I never thought in a million years anyone would do THOTU justice. It's just crazy how it is described in the book, visually. It would be a massive undertaking, it's mindtripping, spectacular stuff. Were the scenes in the show spectacular stuff? Lol no, but I had appropriately low expectations, and those expectations where more or less met, and Drogo was a nice a surprise. Only I expected Drogon to fly around the last room setting everything on fire instead of how it was done in the show, but whatev.

BTW the dragons are so small still, I definitely imagined them bit bigger by now.

For me, the best part of the original scene wasn't so much the flashy stuff, but the eerie, vague implications. The prophecies and visions and such. More the ideas than the presentation.

(series spoilers)
And they should have left out the Red Wedding one

series
Definitely agree with that. Would have been too easy to "spot" in the show.

Arment

I have to admit disappointment over the House of the Undying scene, but I've long given up trying to compare the show to the books. I just enjoy it for what it is.

May be a sword.

10 seconds later they show it has a long wooden handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom