• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Winterfell was surrounded how did they leave with Theon?

THey don't reveal what happens to Theon, whether he's left in Winterfell or handed to Roose Bolton's bastard son who has surrounded Winterfell. In the show, it's suggested his Ironborn pals have sold him out to return to the Iron Islands.

Loofy

For those that forgot. They reference the faceless men in the first season to assassinate daenarys. The small council said they couldnt afford that kind of talent.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Until we get proper gifs.

tumblr_m52pztmn1i1qzlr4yo1_500.gif

thats an E3 gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Great finale, very well directed. Only complaint is the Winterfell changes were rather confusing.. the non-readers who viewed the finale with me were asking what happened with the burning of Winterfell and the supposed 500 men outside the gates, and I wasn't sure how to answer.
They weren't the only ones. Reading the other thread shows that nobody knows what happened. Oh well, they'll have to wait.

I think this episode was weird, like the Melisandre birthing the shadow episode. Overall, I don't mind the changes from the book, and I think they've made great decisions changing things for the most part. Dany's visions in the House of the Undying from the book would legitimately make no sense to anybody watching the show and not reading the books. There has been, I think, one mention of Rhaegar Targaryen in the whole show... It would make no sense to anyone. At least they show a fan favorite who people like, Khal Drogo, and that's cool for fans of the show and non-readers.

My non-reader friend made a good point: So you have this wizard who does all of this super power crazy shit, making himself appear, murdering all of the people in that great hall a few episodes ago, avoiding death, yet... the dragons burn him alive.. .like... he couldn't see that coming? ... Okay.

The Qorin HalfHand / Jon confrontation had to happen that way. They didn't set it up like how it's setup in the book, but it has to be done.

The Other was fucking bizarre. I thought it looked totally cheesy, but what are you gonna do. It's something we basically never see in the books anyway, we never get a great description of the Others, other than their mysterious characteristics. IMO, I think if they had to change anything, I would have wanted them to make the Others more humanlike, not these weird ass super creatures.

The Theon Scenes, IMO, continued to be the best of this season. Theon was a great character, under-rated just like the books IMO. A great Tragic character.

I think that Shae turned out better than I thought she would be. Tyrion turned out about how I expected with the cut.

Overall, I think a lot of non-readers will be kinda "meh" At this episode because the season ends flatly on bad shit, nothing resolved... which is almost exactly like the book. Nothing good happens in this episode/season if you're from a "Stark = good guys" kind of mentality, which most show waters / non-readers should be. If the Starks are your protagonists and the Lannisters are the bad guys, then you got basically nothing to go on. Arya is still traveling. Sansa is back where she started. Jon is lost in the North. Robb is off fighting a war he's totally fucked in now. Catelyn is still Catelyn.

Not the worst episode this season, but not nearly the best. Be a long wait for Season 3.

Bebpo

Banned
I just wanted to say that as someone who read CoK last summer, I hated the shit out of this season outside ep9 which was absolutely perfect.

I'm not even going to go into a long rant. Just everything awesome in the book was cut/changed because "OH NO IT COSTS MONEY TO DO THESE SCENES" or "OH NO THERE ARE TOO MANY CHARACTERS AND VIEWERS ARE DUMB".

I liked S1 for the most part as it was pretty darn accurate outside a few scenes. But S2 is worse than most anime adaptations. It's just a total butchering of a great novel into something it's not.

Fingers crossed S3 will be handled better. Don't really have much faith though with these guys at the helm. House of the Undying :(

Vyer

But again, it isn't even the specific things left out that really irks me, it's that they didn't replace them with anything of substance. Still, this is definitely something that's only bothering me since I've read the books, and I hate it when people won't shut up about that, so I'll do so.

I disagree with that. The Drogo vision - or more specifically Drogo and what might have been her baby - are pretty horrible things to do to a person, putting Dany in front of the Iron Throne for the first time, an interesting link to the 'awakening' of magic in the world (the birth of your dragons has made our magic stronger, and you in turn make your dragons stronger) that plays out through every storyline, and an awesome dragon attack that is one of the first times we get a sense of what kind of damage a dragon-controlling Queen could do (even with mini dragons). I mean, that little dragonfire artillery blast was great.

I think it all helps to build Dany - and I think the criticism that she's been mostly treading water this season is valid - and I came away with a sense of the (TV) character as having grown a bit stronger, a bit harder/darker (locking away Dorreah and Xaro was pretty cruel) and for the purposes of the TV show gives it a nice lead in to the next season with it appearing she's gathered enough resources to move forward, dragons perched on her ready to burn shit down. Overall I thought it was a nice close to that arc.

zedge

Having never read the books I am confused about a few things. Winterfell... wtf happened? The zombie guy..is this a white walker? Or are these guys something different? Also why did they unbind jon snow after he killed other dude?..They remarked about the way he killed him, didnt get the reference.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Man, so disappointed with THOTU scenes. Series:
I'm going to disagree and say that the RW should definitely have been in there. At least a glimpse of the man with the wolf's head. GRRM managed to surprise everyone with the RW even with THOTU foreshadowing, and recalling that chapter after you read the RW is such a cool moment. I feel bad for all the audience members out there who haven't read the books who will miss out on that amazing frisson of recollection.

I found at interesting we saw a glimpse into the future, and saw a destroyed Great Hall and winter truly covering King's Landing. That wasn't in the books, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something approved by GRRM

diunxx

Jesus fucking christ was there a storyline they didn't fucking butcher this season? extremely disappointed by the finale and the entire season.

Also The Others don't come out during the daylight noobs.

Fuzzy

I thought it was all very vague, and a bit confusing when the boys came out to a destroyed Winterfell in the book.

But I haven't read it in a long time
But it wasn't vague at all in the book. It said exactly what happened. The only thing that's vague (there isn't really a hint actually) is [ACoK]
why Ramsay did it.

njean777

I think this episode was weird, like the Melisandre birthing the shadow episode. Overall, I don't mind the changes from the book, and I think they've made great decisions changing things for the most part. Dany's visions in the House of the Undying from the book would legitimately make no sense to anybody watching the show and not reading the books. There has been, I think, one mention of Rhaegar Targaryen in the whole show... It would make no sense to anyone. At least they show a fan favorite who people like, Khal Drogo, and that's cool for fans of the show and non-readers.

My non-reader friend made a good point: So you have this wizard who does all of this super power crazy shit, making himself appear, murdering all of the people in that great hall a few episodes ago, avoiding death, yet... the dragons burn him alive.. .like... he couldn't see that coming? ... Okay.

The Qorin HalfHand / Jon confrontation had to happen that way. They didn't set it up like how it's setup in the book, but it has to be done.

The Other was fucking bizarre. I thought it looked totally cheesy, but what are you gonna do. It's something we basically never see in the books anyway, we never get a great description of the Others, other than their mysterious characteristics. IMO, I think if they had to change anything, I would have wanted them to make the Others more humanlike, not these weird ass super creatures.

The Theon Scenes, IMO, continued to be the best of this season. Theon was a great character, under-rated just like the books IMO. A great Tragic character.

I think that Shae turned out better than I thought she would be. Tyrion turned out about how I expected with the cut.

Overall, I think a lot of non-readers will be kinda "meh" At this episode because the season ends flatly on bad shit, nothing resolved... which is almost exactly like the book. Nothing good happens in this episode/season if you're from a "Stark = good guys" kind of mentality, which most show waters / non-readers should be. If the Starks are your protagonists and the Lannisters are the bad guys, then you got basically nothing to go on. Arya is still traveling. Sansa is back where she started. Jon is lost in the North. Robb is off fighting a war he's totally fucked in now. Catelyn is still Catelyn.

Not the worst episode this season, but not nearly the best. Be a long wait for Season 3.

If you are a stark fan (Season 3 spoiler)
I advise you stop watching now, season 3 is going to piss you off royally. At least it made me want to throw my book across the room. I wonder how they are going to go about the Red wedding also, it has to be done perfectly or it will not convey the emotions needed. Although the show has made the Starks more liked then anybody else

AngryMoth

Since its the end of the season I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Cornballer for the considerable effort he puts in in curating these threads. The mod of the north!

Ok, if I wanted to start reading the books from where this episode left off, where would I start?
You really should read all of them, but you could skip the first one and come back to it. Don't skip book 2.

Not having read the books (but spoilers about most characters and books from westeros wiki) I thought the episode went fine.

I have no idea how the House of Undying is supposed to be or how the Jon fight is supposed to go per the book, and it felt like they were fine in the episode. Although, they should have had the dragons grow up a bit...

Winterfell is the only confusing part at the moment.

Also thought the Others looked freaking cool.

Also, Starks just keep getting fucked Royally.
And next season will be worse. There better be redemption for the Starks in the final books

Season review:

Positives:
+ Everything at King's Landing was handled really well
+ Tyrion's arc
+ Cersei a big improvement
+ In fact all of the Lannisters
+ Dat wildfire

Negatives:
- John Snow and Dany took a huge slide. These arcs weren't given the depth they deserved
- The extra time given to shit like Ros could have been used for Jon and Dany
- Qarth felt like an empty city. We saw half a dozen people. I mean they couldn't have afforded one scene in the market place or something of the like just to show the culture of the city?
- Dany's story was always going to struggle to compete, the writers should have tried alot harder to flesh it out
- Robb didn't even seem like he was fighting a war most of the time. Could have given him at least one battle scene

Additional comments:

I am very glad next season will be stretched over two seasons. And hopefully the budget will be boosted. It was quite easy to see where the budget was being stretched. There was a lot to feel like they neglected, but with a 20 episode ASOS season, they should be able to easily rectify it. I have a feeling we'll start to see much of (series spoilers)
Arya getting her hands dirty... It may actually have been better this way, for her to not simply fall into killing so quickly after leaving her family

Amir0x

Banned
So if Xaro's vault was empty, who IS the richest man in Qarth? It's vital they address this next season.

i guess nobody since literally everyone of power in Qarth died now and there is a power vacuum but who the fuck cares about that really

i guess the richest guy in Qarth is whichever calls dibs on Xaro's empty shell of a house made of fake gold or some shit. who the fuck knows!

Chuck Norris said:
Arya getting her hands dirty... It may actually have been better this way, for her to not simply fall into killing so quickly after leaving her family

Except
she already got her hands dirty in the show, so they just decided to not show her other kills for shits and gigs!

Fuzzy

So if Xaro's vault was empty, who IS the richest man in Qarth? It's vital they address this next season.
It was the Spice King until Pyat Pree killed him during the meeting. Now we have no idea and I'm afraid the show will never tell us. :(

Dysun

Besides the awful changes to the Jon/Qhorin stuff I enjoyed this season for the most part. Arya's story could have been better handled as well showing how bad the conditions in harrenhal were, but the interactions with Tywin sort of made up for it.

Danys story in the end was way better than the books version which was just flat out dull and un-interesting.

Some of the changes were admittedly pointless.

- Like, why is Ros still a character?
- I know it's a great camera wise to show Sam meet the "Other" face to face, but why wasn't he gutted instantly?
- We get no prophecies at the House of the Undying? That's the entire point of the adventure! If Xaro/Pyat Pree really wanted to capture Daenarys, couldn't he/they have done so without all of the sneaking and lying? He slaughtered half of her entourage without her even knowing it. Where is Xaro's house guard at the end? How could Danaery get away with assaulting the manse of the richest man in Qarth?
- Where the fuck is Ghost?

Great stuff:
- Jaime's wisecracks, Brienne showing she's a badass
- The Others appearance
- Theon's speech and his fall (this scene being played for laughs rather than horror as in the book was actually well done)
- Shae actually has a personality here
- Robb's scenes with Catelyn. It seems that he enjoyed breaking his vows if only to spite her for freeing The Kingslayer. He nearly sneered at her at the end of their scene.

FStop7

Banned
I found at interesting we saw a glimpse into the future, and saw a destroyed Great Hall and winter truly covering King's Landing. That wasn't in the books, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something approved by GRRM

That moment was the highlight of the episode for me. I want to know if that's foreshadowing because holy shit if it is.

I do want to say, Danys story line this season didn't deliver until this finale. Now we see, thanking that guy for teaching her a lesson and it ending with her locking them up in the vault. Cold blooded, she is ready to re-take the Iron Throne.

Amir0x

Banned
That moment was the highlight of the episode for me. I want to know if that's foreshadowing because holy shit if it is.

it definitely is, and I have to imagine GRRM approved it. Basically it says that this iron throne shit is bs, and that winter is coming for all the kingdoms. looked rad imagining what the implications of the scene are. best part of the episode, and one of the few legitimately decent additions all season

Fuzzy

The changes to Danys storyline were fine, and mostly necessary, but they stretched the hell out of it.
Want to hate her story even more? Marathon the first 8 episodes like I did today. Holy hell that shit should've ended a lot sooner and watching them back to back magnifies how boring it was.

Lothar

Banned
Ok, if I wanted to start reading the books from where this episode left off, where would I start?

You wouldn't do that. Season 2 and Book 2 are like two completely different stories now, honestly. At the very least, start at the beginning of Clash of Kings.

Love the TV depiction of the Others. They look like Nordic gods shining white with bristly white whiskers covering their bodies. I think the artists nailed the look which has been so hard to picture through the books.

Tess3ract

Banned
it definitely is, and I have to imagine GRRM approved it. Basically it says that this iron throne shit is bs, and that winter is coming for all the kingdoms. looked rad imagining what the implications of the scene are. best part of the episode, and one of the few legitimately decent additions all season

It's more likely it's related to SERIES
jon snow being the third head of the dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom