• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

she was the one dude's main women Robb's "not real-brother" (not Snow) in one of the first seasons episode. She left him for King Landing.

speaking of snow....

Top five favorite characters...

1.Tyrion Lannister
2.Daenerys Targaryen
3.Jon Snow
4.Arya Stark
5.Robb Stark

least favorite
1.Joffrey Baratheon

Theon? Isn't that the hooker who's now the main woman who runs Littlefingers' establishment?

and man, Tyrion is amazing. I think his acting skills are amazing! Jeebus.. way better than season 1.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Yes, and Melisandre apparently has legit powers, as she was unaffected by the poison that killed the Maester.

It seems to me as though she just took a counter poison of some sort. I don't believe that she has legit powers. It would be too awesome. She is so freakin' sexy. It's really astonishing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It seems to me as though she just took a counter poison of some sort. I don't believe that she has legit powers. It would be too awesome. She is so freakin' sexy. It's really astonishing.

there are actual dragons in the show. And undead creatures.

aceface

Notice the ruby on her throat glowing when she drank the poison...that's magic.

Vespene

maybe she just spent the last few years building up an immunity to locane powder?

laughter.gif

BTW, the Dragonstone table was awesomer than in the book.

bengraven

Ha, Larry Williams: "The FUCKtards in charge..."

Yeah Shae is really the only major character I don't think was done right. Not that I was ever a big Shae fan to begin with though.

I like this Shae better. In the book she tries to come off very stupid and submissive and flirty. In the show she's clever, agressive and flirty. I can dig it - she becomes less Tyrion's arm candy and more fitting for his affections.

Sanjay

Oh come the fuck on, last week seeing a baby die in Spartacus now fucking Game of Thrones too. Like the one thing I find hard to stomach.

I'm sure people won't be complaining about sex scenes if its Emilia Clarke getting poked :(

bengraven

I thought it was an awesome episode. I'm glad the non-readers are finally getting to experience Melisandre, Davos, Stannis, Crastor's Keep and there's even more characters coming soon.

In particular:

- the Bran dream! "He was realllly...FUCKING...bbbbig"
- the bastards scene!
- Tyrion! (sadly all his scenes were already released prior to this episode...)
- that Joffrey slap!
- Melisandre!
- the Cersei/Littlefinger scene was fucking great

Didn't like:

- still showing Ros
- Arya gets three seconds of screen
- a bit too much Cersei scheming

Seriously, Mel was fucking hot. Shae was looking damn good as well.

Oh come the fuck on, last week seeing a baby die in Spartacus now fucking Game of Thrones too. Like the one thing I find hard to stomach.

I'm sure people won't be complaining about sex scenes if its Emilia Clarke getting poked :(

And if Walking Dead follows the comics, you'll see kids on that show die as well!

Went ahead and got HBO, couldn't resist. Absolutely loved the opener; didn't mind the "slow-burn" of establishing things like story, and setting. I appreciate it.

Robb is definitely coming into his own, really strong presence; loved the Jamie/Robb scene; loved seeing Jamie terrified of that wolf. The bastard scene was shocking, as I didn't really expect it, but it was great to see Gendry* and Arya rolling out. So fucking excited for this season, so many interesting characters and situations. Daenerys is still my favorite. Really looking forward to the fall of the Lanisters, if at all...

bengraven

So we should hear early this week that it's picked up for Season 3, right?

Did they recast Gendry? He looked way different at the end there.

It's the same dude. I think his hair is different and he's got some stubble whereas last year he was clean shaven and smooth as a baby's butt.

Puddles

Banned
Also, why do Arya and Gendry get to ride in the cart while everyone else walks?

Wait...what???

The guy who had the "Mai Waifu" framed anime picture that he slept with and made all sorts of weird creepy jokes on facebook? Must be a different dude.

That was an amazing episode, much better than the pilot from S1. You can tell everyone is more confident in their roles, and the budget increase can be seen in nearly every aspect. Alan Taylor directed the last two episodes of S1, which were significantly better than the previous episodes in terms of cinematography and pacing. He directed this episode as well, and once again delivered an impressive hour of television. One thing I didn't like about the earlier eps from S1 was that they were shot like a standard television show, and lacked any scope or epic scale; Taylor actually uses some interesting shots and nice camerawork. Also the acting was great all around, and the new cast members all shined. Especially Melisandre

I liked how the comet tied the various scenes together as well.

Perhaps my only two gripes, which are book based: I don't like the idea of Robb demanding Catelyn treat with Renly. In the novel
she comes up with the idea to do it because she knows Renly, and figures it can be her last service to Robb before she goes back to Winterfell.
I guess the writers want to make it easier to establish her being a concerned mother who wants to go home asap, which is fine...I just didn't like Robb's almost cold ultimatum.

Also the Littlefinger/Cersei scene...hm. It was well done (outside of Gillen's weird wavering accent, wtf was up with that), I just don't like the idea of Littlefinger putting himself in danger by insulting Cersei. Sure he'd do it in a backhand, subtle way but that was too overt. That being said, I like the fact that he only seemed to do it because she needled him on Brandon Stark/Catelyn; the writers at least seemed to know they had to justify that scene. And I loved Cersei's casual display of power. Oh man, THAT is the Cersei that was missing throughout season one. I didn't like Headley in S1 but so far she has stepped up her performance for S2.

It's like all the actors saw Dinklage win an Emmy/Golden Globe and said "huh, so we can get praise and awards for this fantasy show? Time to get to work!" I love it.

Jonm1010

Banned
I also want to say I really love all the episodes Alan Taylor has directed.

I almost wish they would have just contracted him to direct the entire series....I know that's unrealistic, especially since he's now directing Thor 2, but his episodes make the show seem much more cinematic, epic and well paced. They come off like a true high production feature unlike most episodes in season 1 that came off rather generic.

Does anyone have the list of the directors and their episodes? I couldn't find it on a quick google search and I didn't want to risk too many spoilers popping up.

Piecake

Perhaps my only two gripes, which are book based: I don't like the idea of Robb demanding Catelyn treat with Renly. In the novel she comes up with the idea to do it because she knows Renly, and figures it can be her last service to Robb before she goes back to Winterfell. I guess the writers want to make it easier to establish her being a concerned mother who wants to go home asap, which is fine...I just didn't like Robb's almost cold ultimatum.

I actually liked that change (COK sort of)
I mean, in the book he is some 14 year old kid, in over his head, not really knowing what to do so he leans on her and takes her advice, but eventually grows out of it. I dont think I could really buy that in the show since Robb is what, like 20? And he looks like he is 25?

Plus, I think they covered the whole, Robb being in over his head, figuring out how to lead, relying on his mother in the first season. this is him being Battle Commander Robb. I like the change

bengraven

I pictured Billy Connolly with a few teeth missing as Crastor on my first readthrough because I didn't realize how dark the character was.

The second time through I pictured the guy who plays Filch in Harry Potter and who went on play Walder Frey in Season 1 of GOT.

Well I'll be darned.

I was more shocked to find that he was Renton's father in Trainspotting as well. He's one of my favorite character actors and I've seen Trainspotting dozens of times. I have no clue why it never clicked. Probably because he wasn't trying to be a medieval badass in Trainspotting and he only had a shaggy mustache.

FStop7

Banned
The guy who had the "Mai Waifu" framed anime picture that he slept with and made all sorts of weird creepy jokes on facebook? Must be a different dude.

Totally different guy.

Larry (Otaku Assemble) had the absolute classic reaction to the big, climactic event near the end of season one.

bengraven

Wait, why are they killing babies if they want to find the daughter?

Because Robert left over a dozen bastard children.

In the books they say there are about 18 of them. Since Joffrey is illegitimate, by right the bastards may have more of a claim to the throne.

EktorPR

I also want to say I really love all the episodes Alan Taylor has directed.

I almost wish they would have just contracted him to direct the entire series....I know that's unrealistic, especially since he's now directing Thor 2, but his episodes make the show seem much more cinematic, epic and well paced. They come off like a true high production feature unlike most episodes in season 1 that came off rather generic.

Does anyone have the list of the directors and their episodes? I couldn't find it on a quick google search and I didn't want to risk too many spoilers popping up.

Agreed.

List of episodes with their respective directors:

11 - Alan Taylor (Season Premiere)
12 - Alan Taylor
13 - Alik Sakharov (which photographed the first two eps. and both Alan Taylor eps. last season)
14 - David Petrarca
15 - David Petrarca
16 - David Nutter
17 - David Nutter
18 - Alan Taylor
19 - Neil Marshall (penned by George R.R. Martin)
20 - Alan Taylor (Season Finale)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom