• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Because Robert left over a dozen bastard children.

In the books they say there are about 18 of them. Since Joffrey is illegitimate, by right the bastards may have more of a claim to the throne.

That was the one part of the show that I thought was humorous in a "I know this isn't real, so I can laugh at it" sort of way. Someone could set that scene to the theme song from Benny Hill and it would be perfect. It's like they had to kill half the citizens of King's Landing because he had so many bastards.

Shadow780

...What?

You mean Arya? That's not why they're killing babies. They're killing babies to get rid of the evidence that Robert Baratheon's children all come out with black hair.

Because Robert left over a dozen bastard children.

In the books they say there are about 18 of them. Since Joffrey is illegitimate, by right the bastards may have more of a claim to the throne.

Damn, that's fucked up.

nib95

Banned
After the let down of Spartacus Vengeance, I'm damn glad GoT is back. Decent opening episode. Can't wait for more!

...What?

You mean Arya? That's not why they're killing Robert's children. They're killing them to get rid of the evidence that Robert Baratheon's children all come out with black hair.

I missed that; I did get the bit that they were killing them to "destroy evidence of his bastard children" but I forgot that small detail regarding the black hair.

Vespene

I imagined Craster something like how the portrayed Lord Frey. I guess it would have been redundant having 2 creepy old men fucking little girls.

bengraven

That was the one part of the show that I thought was humorous in a "I know this isn't real, so I can laugh at it" sort of way. Someone could set that scene to the theme song from Benny Hill and it would be perfect. It's like they had to kill half the citizens of King's Landing because he had so many bastards.

Ha, yeah, and there's many more out there in the wild, too.

Shadow780

Joffrey and the DP Roman a-hole in Spartacus gotta be related somehow, such smugfuck faces.

WTF @ the sudden sex scene with loud moaning, I had to turn down my volume, not that I don't enjoy it..

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Been starving for the show to come back and now I'm happy.

It was a tough battle avoiding spoilers especially with a friend who reads the books and MMA-GAF.

_Isaac

It's great hearing that Roy Dotrice is going to be on the show this season, but part of me wishes he was cast as Melisandre. :p He did such an impeccable job doing her voice for the audiobook.

Dany

Banned
It's great hearing that Roy Dotrice is going to be on the show this season, but part of me wishes he was cast as Melisandre. :p He did such an impeccable job doing her voice for the audiobook.

Wait....WHAT!?!?! I've been listening this this man for 3 books, who was he?

nib95

Banned
Joffrey and the DP Roman a-hole in Spartacus gotta be related somehow, such smugfuck faces.

WTF @ the sudden sex scene with loud moaning, I had to turn down my volume, not that I don't enjoy it..

Same lol. Sort of wish the show didn't have these sorts of scenes if I'm honest. Though this one did make sense given the context, but the sudden volume of faked orgasm was a bit loud lol.

apana

That was an amazing episode, much better than the pilot from S1. You can tell everyone is more confident in their roles, and the budget increase can be seen in nearly every aspect. Alan Taylor directed the last two episodes of S1, which were significantly better than the previous episodes in terms of cinematography and pacing. He directed this episode as well, and once again delivered an impressive hour of television. One thing I didn't like about the earlier eps from S1 was that they were shot like a standard television show, and lacked any scope or epic scale; Taylor actually uses some interesting shots and nice camerawork. Also the acting was great all around, and the new cast members all shined. Especially Melisandre

I liked how the comet tied the various scenes together as well.

Perhaps my only two gripes, which are book based: I don't like the idea of Robb demanding Catelyn treat with Renly. In the novel she comes up with the idea to do it because she knows Renly, and figures it can be her last service to Robb before she goes back to Winterfell. I guess the writers want to make it easier to establish her being a concerned mother who wants to go home asap, which is fine...I just didn't like Robb's almost cold ultimatum.

Also the Littlefinger/Cersei scene...hm. It was well done (outside of Gillen's weird wavering accent, wtf was up with that), I just don't like the idea of Littlefinger putting himself in danger by insulting Cersei. Sure he'd do it in a backhand, subtle way but that was too overt. That being said, I like the fact that he only seemed to do it because she needled him on Brandon Stark/Catelyn; the writers at least seemed to know they had to justify that scene. And I loved Cersei's casual display of power. Oh man, THAT is the Cersei that was missing throughout season one. I didn't like Headley in S1 but so far she has stepped up her performance for S2.

It's like all the actors saw Dinklage win an Emmy/Golden Globe and said "huh, so we can get praise and awards for this fantasy show? Time to get to work!" I love it.

That's just the high you're feeling after being deprived of this show for so long. Epsiode 1 of season 1 was much better than this, masterfully done infact, this one felt like a highlight reel. My favorite parts were Craster and the wolf parts. They must be listening to me though considering the Bran scenes, and they took my idea about having a moving camera represening the [book 2 spoiler]
warging.
The parts I didn't think they would get right, they did, and the parts I thought they would nail they didn't. Alan Taylor is a nice guy but sometimes he goes into this mode where he is trying to cram one scene after another. What happened to Tim Van Patten?

Jonm1010

Banned
Agreed.

List of episodes with their respective directors:

11 - Alan Taylor (Season Premiere)
12 - Alan Taylor
13 - Alik Sakharov (which photographed the first two eps. and both Alan Taylor eps. last season)
14 - David Petrarca
15 - David Petrarca
16 - David Nutter
17 - David Nutter
18 - Alan Taylor
19 - Neil Marshall (penned by George R.R. Martin)
20 - Alan Taylor (Season Finale)

Thanks!

Same lol. Sort of wish the show didn't have these sorts of scenes if I'm honest. Though this one did make sense given the context, but the sudden volume of faked orgasm was a bit loud lol.

Yeah I actually didn't find this sex scene completely unnecisarry unlike most of the sex scenes in season 1 - since it was a good lead into the great scenes following it - but once again I feel they tend to go a little over the top with the sex and for almost no needed reason.

Which makes the scenes come off to the viewer as forced as they probably are when being written and integrated into the episodes.

tirminyl

Great episode. Headey seems to have stepped it up!

Also, I hate the scene with Cersie and Littlefinger.

Can't wait for next week.

Vespene

That's just the high you're feeling after being deprived of this show for so long. Epsiode 1 of season 1 was much better than this, masterfully done infact, this one felt like a highlight reel.

Well, you should get used to it because its gonna get a lot more highlight reel as the story progresses. They're already gutting entire locations, characters and arcs and it still is kinda too scattered for a TV show. They didn't even have time to cover all the characters in one episode (something season 1 managed to do). Come season 4 you'll have about 15 to 20 arcs going on, when this season is covering only 5 or 6.

A story like this is just unadaptable in the long run without some mayor changes. It's too long and complicated to be a movie saga and too expensive to be a TV show.

It's still the best show on TV since The Wire.

That's just the high you're feeling after being deprived of this show for so long. Epsiode 1 of season 1 was much better than this, masterfully done infact, this one felt like a highlight reel. My favorite parts were Craster and the wolf parts. They must be listening to me though considering the Bran scenes, and they took my idea about having a moving camera represening the [book 2 spoiler]
warging.
The parts I didn't think they would get right, they did, and the parts I thought they would nail they didn't. Alan Taylor is a nice guy but sometimes he goes into this mode where he is trying to cram one scene after another. What happened to Tim Van Patten?

Not a fan of Van Patten, at least not for GoT. Sure the pilot was well done, but nearly every Dany scene was awkwardly done imo. Plus there are a few cheesy moments, like the first Jamie/Cersei scene. I certainly liked it a lot though overall.

Tonight's episode felt like Taylor and the writers setting the chess pieces for things to come, with nearly every scene working; in that sense it felt a lot like the finale episode of S1, which was my favorite of the season (I know most people would choose episode 9).

tirminyl

pfft!

that shit was boss!

she said, "...but what's a king to a God?"

Maybe hate is too strong of a word. I will retract it and will say that I disliked the scene. I should have expected it with S1 season of Littlefinger and Varys e-peen battle. I also understand that certain aspects must be brazenly put across for the viewer but to show a viewer a character that is sly and cunning to behave as such to someone in position didn't sit well with me.

Jonm1010

Banned
Well, you should get used to it because its gonna get a lot more highlight reel as the story progresses. They're already gutting entire locations, characters and arcs and it still is kinda too scattered for a TV show. They didn't even have time to cover all the characters in one episode (something season 1 managed to do). Come season 4 you'll have about 15 to 20 arcs going on, when this season is covering only 5 or 6.

A story like this is just unadaptable in the long run without some mayor changes. It's too long and complicated to be a movie saga and too expensive to be a TV show.

It's still the best show on TV since The Wire.

All the more reason this show should be getting 12-15 episodes a season instead of 10.

I know costs and all that but I feel like with the DVD sales being as strong as they are, the large international revenue, the critical acclaim, along with the very solid and growing ratings, this show deserves a few more episodes to properly flesh out the stories and arcs.

I mean boardwalk empire gets 12 episodes with lower ratings, less revenue and I guess about equivelent critical acclaim(considered good but not god tier).

Sliver

Guy who plays Gendry looked so different I thought they recast him, but thankfully it's still Chris from Skins. Good episode.

Maybe hate is too strong of a word. I will retract it and will say that I disliked the scene. I should have expected it with S1 season of Littlefinger and Varys e-peen battle. I also understand that certain aspects must be brazenly put across for the viewer but to show a viewer a character that is sly and cunning to behave as such to someone in position didn't sit well with me.

Agreed. He's smarter than everyone in the capitol except Tyrion, and certainly smart enough to realize what his limits are. Subtly insulting Cersei is one thing, but overtly throwing it in her face like that was rather odd. He did it many times with Ned Stark, but Cersei is not Ned Stark.

Still, I liked the way the scene ended and overall from a television perspective it was well done.

Piecake

I think they blew the casting for Stannis.

Totally disagree. I think he's perfect for it

Agreed. He's smarter than everyone in the capitol except Tyrion, and certainly smart enough to realize what his limits are. Subtly insulting Cersei is one thing, but overtly throwing it in her face like that was rather odd. He did it many times with Ned Stark, but Cersei is not Ned Stark.

Still, I liked the way the scene ended and overall from a television perspective it was well done.

I took that scene much more as a Cersei scene than a littlefinger or LF/Cersei scene. And for that reason, I thought it worked really well since it got Cersei's personality across better than pretty much any one scene so far in this show

Peru

Damn, this was good. Confident, as others have pointed out, is the keyword. One of the best episodes of the series in my opinion and damn if it doesn't set up lots of awesome storylines.

McNei1y

Ugh, I think this is the first TV show in a looooooong time that is actually torturing me because I have to wait an entire week. Sooo good tonight. Can't wait!

I was so happy with Cersei in the scene with Baelish. Eat it, Littlefinger. What a dipshit. Cersei owned his ass. She was really amazing in this episode. Probably the best scenes right up there with Robb.

Robb's [CoK]
change from the book is very appreciated. I really disliked the idea of this 14 year old kid running an army and his mother making decisions. Adult Robb is infinitely cooler.

Justin

About Shae (CoK)
are they skipping the part about Tyrion having to hide Shae outside the castle? Tyrion made a comment about being on Neds bed which I asume means they were in the Hand's room.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
warging.
Can't say I agree with you at all. I thought this episode was a much better start to the season than the pilot episode. Better acting. Better cinematography. A much more confident cast. I didn't think there was one weak performance to be honest. I watched the pilot a couple days ago and I actually felt it was one of the weaker episodes of season 1. I actually cringed at a couple parts (Aryas voice over dub introducing Jaime Lannister for no reason), Waymer Royce and company getting attacked by the Others seemingly 5 minutes after they leave the wall, as well as some other parts that currently escape me in my semi drunken state. I didn't mind the pacing of this episode at all considering how many plot lines are going on. I thought it was an excellent beginning. I thought the new cast members were excellent also. shrug

KingK

I was so happy with Cersei in the scene with Baelish. Eat it, Littlefinger. What a dipshit. Cersei owned his ass. She was really amazing in this episode. Probably the best scenes right up there with Robb.

Robb's [CoK]
change from the book is very appreciated. I really disliked the idea of this 14 year old kid running an army and his mother making decisions. Adult Robb is infinitely cooler.

Robb was 16 in the book and is 18 in the show.

Vespene

About Shae (CoK)
are they skipping the part about Tyrion having to hide Shae outside the castle? Tyrion made a comment about being on Neds bed which I asume means they were in the Hand's room.

Yeah. Again, multiple scenarios = multiplied confusion.

They can easily tell their story with her in the Red Keep, but maybe they'll sacrifice that awesome scene when
Varys' disguise in front of Tyrion borders on magical

Also... that scene between Cersei and Littlefinger, thumbs up for hinting at
Varys' little birds
!

EktorPR

Myles McNutt said:
There is also a bit more hand-holding here than there is elsewhere. While the credits already lay out some of the changes in location, introducing Dragonstone into the equation for example (followed by another new locale next week), the brief chyrons from “Winter is Coming” reappear to remind us what Winterfell looks like, or making sure we know that a military camp featuring Stark banners is, in fact, the “Stark Camp.” [Edit: Because HBO is tricky like that, these chyrons disappeared between when screeners were sent out and when the episode aired, so this no longer applies].

http://cultural-learnings.com/2012/...ame-of-thrones-the-north-remembers/#more-7433

Ok, while I didn't miss this for the pre-existing locations, I did wonder why the production chose not to include a chyron for that first scene in Dragonstone. What happened here? :[ Hopefully gutshot will investigate on this through the week.

Membles review
http://cultural-learnings.com/2012/04/01/season-premiere-game-of-thrones-the-north-remembers/

edit: ha beaten

He contrasts the episode to S1's pilot, arguing the heavy exposition is done better and more confidently in part because most of the characters have already been introduced, so the writers simply dive into each of their collective stories for a bit to give a preview of things to come.

I'd imagine the next few episodes will be more action oriented, with everyone except Arya and Renly established/addressed.

demolitio

So glad I resisted the urge to read the second book now. There's something so special about going into the show with no clue on what's going to happen. Well, that and reading and memory loss don't mix well together...lol

I'm really interested in Snow's tale the most as it's such an unknown to me, but the Starks' thirst for vengeance is awesome and shows how much they respected Ned.

I really wish they'd make a Game of Thrones game under the Total War brand instead of cheaper titles or relying on a mod for Medieval 2. This series just screams Total War with all the diplomacy and battles you could have and how many UNIQUE factions would be present.

Duki

Banned
aw but if they do that with shae then COK spoilers
they miss out on the fantastic scene where they show they dont know about shae because they threaten to kill the black lady iirc

great episode tho

the ending was such a good scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom