• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yeah I guess, maybe it'll get a little better for the non-readers. But man some people didn't even understand the bastard-killing scene. :p They're probably wondering what the fuck were they burning on the beach, or what the fuck was that all about at dinner with the crazy lady in red.

If they didn't get that spelt out stuff then they just aren't that smart and you can't do anything for them besides maybe point an arrow to shitty network tv for imbeciles.

royalan

I honestly didn't find season 1 difficult to follow. I wouldn't consider this episode hard to follow either other than being confused in a few spots. I just thought it was slow and it seems like there are a lot of factions to fit into an hour. The season preview looks stellar and bigger in scale than the first.

Pretty much how I felt. The bolded especially. Underlined most of all.

I'm going to keep going with the show, as it wasn't until around episode 6 last season that I was drawn in. But I was pretty much expecting a continuation of the momentum built last season.

LProtag

Honestly even though I read the second book only a few months ago I couldn't remember exactly what they've changed or not.

I think they've done a good job setting up everything for the season and they've probably introduce the rest of the key players next episode and then everything will be in full swing from there.

I'm going to keep going with the show, as it wasn't until around episode 6 last season that I was drawn in. But I was pretty much expecting a continuation of the moment built last season.

That's how the books are, so I'd say get used to it.

lucius

I liked it, not as much as season1 start but Tyrion is the best thing about the show imo. Arya character is really interesting also, but not much of her in this episode.

KingK

More detailed impressions:

-Melisandre and Stannis seem perfect. Loved the scene that was the "prologue" of the book.
-REALLY glad that they showed Bran's wolf dream. Actually really glad they showed Bran at all. I was worried he was going to be practically non-existent this season.
-GREY WIND!!!! Robb owned every scene he was in. So good. The scene with him and Jaime and Grey Wind was the highlight of the episode for me.
-That sex scene was really awkward and unnecessary.
-Tyrion and Cersei interactions were great.
-Dragons looked great.
-Janos Slynt is a piece of shit.
-Can't fucking wait to see Arya.

Pretty good episode. I feel it did a good job setting up the plots and character dynamics that will play out throughout the season.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
totally awesome episode. there was definitely a ton to set up here, but they did a nice job of it. stannis baratheon is instantly established as a totally unreasonable controlling persnickety goober in that scene with the revision of the letter.

season 2 of game of thrones summary: tyrion lannister walks into rooms and upsets people.

ezrarh

I'm going to keep going with the show, as it wasn't until around episode 6 last season that I was drawn in. But I was pretty much expecting a continuation of the moment built last season.

You seem to be unfamiliar with HBO shows. It's not a pilot - the first episodes of any season will be "slow" and rightfully so because they have to set up the plot lines before you can build to a climax. I don't see how you can do it any other way.

royalan

You seem to be unfamiliar with HBO shows. It's not a pilot - the first episodes of any season will be "slow" and rightfully so because they have to set up the plot lines before you can build to a climax. I don't see how you can do it any other way.

Pretty familiar with HBO shows, actually.

Kuroyume

Banned
tumblr_m1tz2zrl431qzk73xo1_500.gif

tumblr_m1tyqsxRx61r4pwt8o3_500.gif

ValleyJoe

Neo Member

The vast majority of television series follow this exact formula though. There is either a major culmination of plot points leading to a satisfying ending like season 1 of GoT, or you occasionally have a cliff hanger ending that is immediately resolved at the beginning of the next season(breaking bad season 3 to 4) followed by a new introduction of plotlines that steadily build throughout the new season. I can't even think of a series that doesn't follow this pattern. Lost, BSG, Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Wire, etc. all usually end with a bang and then start slowly building momentum as the new season goes on.

LuchaShaq

Banned

I'm going to keep going with the show, as it wasn't until around episode 6 last season that I was drawn in. But I was pretty much expecting a continuation of the momentum built last season.

Sorry it's not some shit hole like 2.5 men or csi where every plotline is started/ended in an hour.

Kaizer

Banned
Awesome first episode, loved it. As a non-book reader, I was able to follow everything pretty well. It took me a few seconds to understand the bastard-killing scene, but it wasn't that hard to get. I'm still undecided if I want to read the books or not, but so far I've enjoyed this show immensely.

I marathoned Season One with my family this weekend to get them caught and they're in love with it. Can't wait to see more.

jett

D-Member
I'll say the Robb and Jaime scene was the best. The King in the North! The only king in this mess worth rooting for.

royalan

Sorry it's not some shit hole like 2.5 men or csi where every plotline is started/ended in an hour.

...Someone's upset.

I understand the formula of a cable drama, but I still felt the episode was slow. They didn't establish hardly any of the new plot lines or characters in an interesting way for someone who hasn't read the books and doesn't already know the role they play. It was just...overwrought with dialogue and shoehorning every character into the episode (ironically, exactly like a pilot).

But that's just my two cents. I'll leave this thread alone until next episode. Don't wanna be That Guy.

Lothar

Banned

Why would you? That makes no sense. It's the first episode of a season. It can't be a 10 hour long climax.

...Someone's upset.

I understand the formula of a cable drama, but I still felt the episode was slow. They didn't establish hardly any of the new plot lines or characters in an interesting way for someone who hasn't read the books and doesn't already know the role they play. It was just...overwrought with dialogue and shoehorning every character into the episode (ironically, exactly like a pilot).

But that's just my two cents. I'll leave this thread alone until next episode. Don't wanna be That Guy.

That's silly. If you have complaints, say them. There's nothing wrong with negative comments.

Pkaz01

Very good first episode. Need to rewatch it but already a good start.

I take back what I said about the Arya storyline, this was better than giving her a line pretty much hyping her up storyline in the best way possible. Loved that part, you think they forgot about her and then you realize they are just setting it all up.

Jaime and Robb was great as well.

Did not like/couldnt understand shae at all. The only casting choice I do not like, she is very pretty but very annoying. No interesting quality to her might have preferred Ros as Shae.

...Someone's upset.

I've always seen Season 1/Book 1 of the series as sort of an extended prologue to the rest of the series. So having the first episode here feel like a pilot is kind of expected by me. A lot of new characters and plot strings are picked up rather suddenly for Season 2/Clash of Kings.

I liked the episode, well done throughout, exactly what was needed. I watched it with 4 other guys who have never read the book and they all enjoyed it and were able to follow everything. The only thing they weren't really sure of was Mellisandre/Stannis relationship and exactly what was going on with the bastard killing scene at first. I don't think they even cared that it was slower paced, even though they are the type of testosterone pumping guys that would prefer action.

Very good first episode. Need to rewatch it but already a good start.

I take back what I said about the Arya storyline, this was better than giving her a line pretty much hyping her up storyline in the best way possible. Loved that part, you think they forgot about her and then you realize they are just setting it all up.

Jaime and Robb was great as well.

Did not like/couldnt understand shae at all. The only casting choice I do not like, she is very pretty but very annoying. No interesting quality to her might have preferred Ros as Shae.

Yeah Shae is really the only major character I don't think was done right. Not that I was ever a big Shae fan to begin with though.

Puddles

Banned
Grey Wind looked suitably intimidating. You can really picture that wolf destroying mounted knights as was described in the first season. The dog didn't really look menacing enough for that.

Tess3ract

Banned
Man, the scene with Slynt and the baby was horrifying.

For book readers or people who don't care about spoilers to the show:
It really sets up the hate kings landing folks have for basically "authority" later in the show.
:p

I've always seen Season 1/Book 1 of the series as sort of an extended prologue to the rest of the series. So having the first episode here feel like a pilot is kind of expected by me. A lot of new characters and plot strings are picked up rather suddenly for Season 2/Clash of Kings.

I liked the episode, well done throughout, exactly what was needed. I watched it with 4 other guys who have never read the book and they all enjoyed it and were able to follow everything. The only thing they weren't really sure of was Mellisandre/Stannis relationship and exactly what was going on with the bastard killing scene at first. I don't think they even cared that it was slower paced, even though they are the type of testosterone pumping guys that would prefer action.

Some of them were book 1 plot strings that never were touched on in the first episode because they were deemed "less important"

You can tell they are limited by budget, but they handled the wolves well.

also, I was just thinking about this earlier, but we are to assume the fencing instructor is dead, right?

Puddles

Banned
It seems like Robb has a really good strategy going forward. Send Theon to recruit the Greyjoys, known for their skills at archery and lovemaking, into joining the rebellion. Send his mother south to ask Renly to make common cause with him against the Lannisters.

I just hope it all works out.

Subitai

It seems like Robb has a really good strategy going forward. Send Theon to recruit the Greyjoys, known for their skills at archery and lovemaking, into joining the rebellion. Send his mother south to ask Renly to make common cause with him against the Lannisters.

I just hope it all works out.
What about everyone else's plans? Like, uhm...Cersei's!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom