• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyong

Banned
Man, I am so pumped after that episode. I almost always read the books before watching the show/movie, but this is one giant exception. I won't be spoiled. So good.

Joffrey and the DP Roman a-hole in Spartacus gotta be related somehow, such smugfuck faces.

WTF @ the sudden sex scene with loud moaning, I had to turn down my volume, not that I don't enjoy it..

It wasn't really long enough for me to bother lowering the volume, but yeah, it was pretty loud and sudden.

Subitai

A really like the dire wolves. Gotta disagree with Larry on that one.
Yeah, i thought they were well integrated.

Anyway, after some more reflection I thought Jon and the expedition north of the wall could have been left until next week w/ Renly and Arya, but then I realized things might already be too crowded.

I thought it was nice to juxtapose Bran and Joffery leadership styles as children against the older characters - too bad Dany and Robb/Theon had to be aged up.

Sansa is gonna get the short of end of the rewrite but not many people like her so that is a natural sacrifice.

I'm not sure how they could introduced Stannis and what was going on any better than they did without losing the subtlety.

Count me as another that felt the hour went by like 15 min.

I really wish they'd make a Game of Thrones game under the Total War brand instead of cheaper titles or relying on a mod for Medieval 2. This series just screams Total War with all the diplomacy and battles you could have and how many UNIQUE factions would be present.

i've been wanting a game like that since medieval 2 came out. that really is the perfect way to do a game based on the series...something like Mount & Blade would work too

pulga

Banned
Few thoughts from a bookreader:

1) Melisandre and Stannis were spot on. Love the little details, like the huge ass Westeros shaped table and the ruby shining.
2) Add one more who thought Craster should've looked like Frey! Craster's Keep was ace as well.
3) Loved Bran's dream. Thank R'hllor they're showing them.
4) GREY MOTHERFUCKING WIND
5) (ASoS Spoiler)
the scene with Robb and Caitlyn talking about getting everyone back together and returning home almost made me cry. These tv bitches can't even begin to imagine what's coming
6) Didn't find Dolorous Edd funny :( He's one of my faves from the book.
7) GREY MOTHEFUCKING WIND
8) The new Littlefinger/Cersei scene was great. I was awestruck at the owning Petyr was dishing out, and even feared for his life when Cersei double owned him.
9) Joffrey is suitably cunty.
10) I need more Arya in my life.

All in all, a fantastic premiere. If there's one complaint, I saw it with 2 non readers and they were pretty confused sometimes.

Memles

http://cultural-learnings.com/2012/...ame-of-thrones-the-north-remembers/#more-7433

Ok, while I didn't miss this for the pre-existing locations, I did wonder why the production chose not to include a chyron for that first scene in Dragonstone. What happened here? :[ Hopefully gutshot will investigate on this through the week.

I plan on putting in an email to HBO tomorrow to see if we can get a statement - it was obviously a last-minute decision, given that the versions with the chyrons went out to critics.

Dresden

Yeah, I do love Joffsies. The scene where Cersei
slaps him and he tells her what's up
was awesome--you can see the awful realization arrive in her eyes.

It was a good episode overall, confident, mostly well paced. Looking forward to more.

Well, you should get used to it because its gonna get a lot more highlight reel as the story progresses. They're already gutting entire locations, characters and arcs and it still is kinda too scattered for a TV show. They didn't even have time to cover all the characters in one episode (something season 1 managed to do). Come season 4 you'll have about 15 to 20 arcs going on, when this season is covering only 5 or 6.

A story like this is just unadaptable in the long run without some mayor changes. It's too long and complicated to be a movie saga and too expensive to be a TV show.

It's still the best show on TV since The Wire.

This was a great episode, and GOT is a wonderful show, but calling it the best show on television since The Wire is ridiculous hyperbole.

So glad I resisted the urge to read the second book now. There's something so special about going into the show with no clue on what's going to happen. Well, that and reading and memory loss don't mix well together...lol

I must entirely agree, but from the other perspective. I had read the books after the first season and found the show much less exciting this season. Scenes definitely felt like an abridged version for me and I was just enjoying the cinematography/acting more than the actual story which was the real draw for me in season 1.

Duki

Banned
This was a great episode, and GOT is a wonderful show, but calling it the best show on television since The Wire is ridiculous hyperbole.

whats funny is that calling it ridiculous hyperbole is actually more ridiculous and hyperbolic than what he said in the first place

its not like theres a million amazing tv shows which he has to like more to not be a moron bro

WTH was up with Petyr's voice when Cersei called for him?

yeah wtf? glad im not crazy. felt like a bad dub

altho his voice just kept on being fucked up, just less

demolitio

i've been wanting a game like that since medieval 2 came out. that really is the perfect way to do a game based on the series...something like Mount & Blade would work too

Yea, both have mods but they just aren't the same as the real deal. This series really is perfect for it because each and every faction is different and have their own pros and cons but are also grounded in a gritty, realistic feel of a medieval setting with fantasy elements. It's absolutely perfect for a game and the amount of history in Game of Thrones can make the games feel like a history lesson in their own ways which is what Total War and Mount and Blade do so well in my opinion (TW more in that field). Playing a game could give us new insight into the books/show and give us a lot of "what if?" scenarios.

Rewriting the books in a way in a game by taking control of the throne with your favorite faction would be worth it alone.

I see more potential in this series than anything else out there just because of how rich the history is and how far they go into the characters and kingdoms. It's not just a show that's all about the sex and gore, but you actually feel emotions in scenes and feel for the characters which is something not a lot of stories have done in ANY entertainment medium.

I must entirely agree, but from the other perspective. I had read the books after the first season and found the show much less exciting this season. Scenes definitely felt like an abridged version for me and I was just enjoying the cinematography/acting more than the actual story which was the real draw for me in season 1.

I could see how it might be that way too which is why it was a hard decision. I think the break in between seasons, while obviously painfully long, also keep it feeling fresh to where I don't think I could stop myself if I read the books. With this, I HAVE to wait a year to get my fix and that makes me anticipate it more. In the end though, it really just came down to memory loss, especially when shows are sometimes easily forgotten too. I need a cheat sheet with names for each scene. :D

oldskool

The introduction of Grey Wind was masterful, and I love how we got a shot of Summer's reflection in the water. No Ghost though... :(

Melisandre's like a Nintendo game, looks much better in motion. I also found the Robb/Catelyn scene very touching. The Starks just want to get back home and be with family. The build up to the few seconds of Arya at the end was also great. She was mentioned throughout the show by pretty much everybody, and then we get the shot of her at the end. Hopefully we'll get to see Jaqen H'ghar next week.

Puddles

Banned
I don't see how anyone could be confused.

Scene on Dragonstone: Melisandre says "Lord of Light! We offer you these false gods." There are a bunch of wooden statues burning. Makes sense.

Massacre at the end: Joffrey hints at getting rid of Robert's bastards. We see the brothel girl with an infant daughter who Ned interviewed in Season 1, and the baby is killed. Then a bunch of black-haired people get slaughtered across the city. Then Janos Slynt is asking about Gendry, who we know is Robert's bastard son. Seems easy enough to figure out.

Puddles

Banned

I agree with him, and I've seen just about every critically acclaimed show of the last decade except Mad Men, Rome and Spartacus.

Loved it. Nice set up with all the different kings and such. Joffrey is still a prick. Peter dinklage getting first billing and rightfully so.

KingK

I think if I had never read the books, I wouldn't like the show nearly as much and Breaking Bad would be my favorite show on TV.

But since I have read the books, seeing all of the events and characters play out on screen is just too awesome and makes it my favorite show.

Agreed. He's smarter than everyone in the capitol except Tyrion, and certainly smart enough to realize what his limits are. Subtly insulting Cersei is one thing, but overtly throwing it in her face like that was rather odd. He did it many times with Ned Stark, but Cersei is not Ned Stark.

Still, I liked the way the scene ended and overall from a television perspective it was well done.

He's also cognizant of his abilities and how valuable he is. That scene can be read several ways. She sparred him to prove that she wields power over him or she sparred him because he is clearly an asset to her. Or a little of both.

He has vast resources when it comes to knowledge and information. When he dies, all of that dies with him. He can as brazen as he wants to be.

Vice

They need to get to the real heroes of the story and skip the filler. The amazing Adventures of Arya and Daenerys are all that matter.

I don't see how anyone could be confused.

Scene on Dragonstone: Melisandre says "Lord of Light! We offer you these false gods." There are a bunch of wooden statues burning. Makes sense.

Massacre at the end: Joffrey hints at getting rid of Robert's bastards. We see the brothel girl with an infant daughter who Ned interviewed in Season 1, and the baby is killed. Then a bunch of black-haired people get slaughtered across the city. Then Janos Slynt is asking about Gendry, who we know is Robert's bastard son. Seems easy enough to figure out.

Yeah, the baby scene was really clear if you remember Gendry, but not so much that girl from Season 1 who lived in the whorehouse. It should have focused on her instead of more RoZZZ so people wouldn't just see a random baby being stolen.

Akainu

Damn how many seasons until Joffrey
eats some knife pie
again?

Also I must of missed it did the mother or the kid call for the bastard killings.

Mormont: We chose different paths
Craster: Aye, and you chose the path with no one but boys on it

ahahaha. Craster's been listening to Ether

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I need to watch it again since I was among a group of people when watching it but I wasn't really struck by anything about the episode. It felt a bit too dense and all I could see were moments in the book being rushed through. I don't know, felt a bit cold to it due to this.

Also the accent Carice van Houten is trying to portray seems to slip in and out. Seems a bit too nuanced to be distinguishable. Just give me some naked Natalie Dormer, awesome shots of Brienne, and more Arya.

LordCanti

I agree with this:

KingK said:
Perhaps non-book readers shouldn't be allowed to post speculation here unless they clearly label it as speculation based on not reading the books, otherwise whenever they're right about something we'll get people yelling "SPOILERS!"

I didn't read it as speculation. I read it as (full book series spoilers)
"ugg, how much longer till they kill this person off again?" in the "I know this person dies, how much longer do I have to put up with him" sense. I know others would have as well. A PM probably would have been a wiser course of action in retrospect. If I confirmed it for anyone, I apologize.

Edit: Turns out I was right and it was a spoiler. Sweet, sweet semi-vindication. I still feel like a semi-asshole for being one of many to confirm it as such, but at least it's only semi now. I would never come into a thread with "marked spoilers" in a million years if I hadn't read the books, but I still feel bad for anyone that did

Puddles

Banned
I don't like comparing because BB is entering it's final season, while GoT is only 11 episodes in. Taking that in account, there's no way to say GoT is the best show since The Wire.

Fair enough.

Either Breaking Bad or Mad Men is probably the best show since The Wire. I'm pretty confident that GoT can reach that tier though.

Rengoku

I don't like comparing because BB is entering it's final season, while GoT is only 11 episodes in. Taking that in account, there's no way to say GoT is the best show since The Wire.

Agreed, at this point, its too early. But having read the books, and seeing how they've handled the show so far, I'm seriously pumped for the rest of this season, and the future of the series. If some ppl thought the S2 opener was good, you aint seen nothin yet ;)

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Yeah agreed, this show is nowhere near Breaking Bad's level.
I fucking love Breaking Bad, but I certainly don't feel that is on some other level entirely. I don't even think it comes close to GoT in terms of scope, production values, and ambition. Not even fucking close. The fact that hbo is pulling this off as well as they are is beyond impressive to me. Obviously BB doesn't have the massive budget and cast of characters that GoT does, but I'm guessing it's a lot easier to write a small tight storyline involving a very limited number of characters in basically one setting compared to having to juggle this behemoth of a story and cast. I don't really know which show I like more, but I definitely like these 2 shows more than anything I've seen on tv in years. They each have their strong points. I'm bummed that BB wont be on past season 5 though, that's for damn sure.

Puddles

Banned
Complete series spoilers:

Dude hasn't read the books. That was speculation. Like if someone in a Breaking Bad thread asked "When is Walt going to die?" By quoting that post over and over again, you've just legitimized the spoiler.

KingK

Guys, you need to be able to discern between someone blatantly posting a spoiler, and a non-book reader posting assumptions/speculation about the future. I'm guessing that guy who posted the "spoiler" hasn't read the books and is speculating, but by reacting in such a way it seemingly confirms that said event takes place. That's the second time that's happened tonight, I believe (and with the same thing).

Perhaps non-book readers shouldn't be allowed to post speculation here unless they clearly label it as speculation based on not reading the books, otherwise whenever they're right about something we'll get people yelling "SPOILERS!"

Zyzyxxz

Geez so far loving the series. Makes me want to read the books but I think I'll stick to the TV show for now since work consumes alot of my time.

Justin

LOL people jumping to yell spoiler, are spoilers themselves. It is clear as day that he was just posting speculation.

demolitio

LOL people jumping to yell spoiler, are spoilers themselves. It is clear as day that he was just posting speculation.

Yea, that kind of backfired. At least it wasn't a mind-blowing thing...lol

I was hesitant to post on another forum all night tonight for the same reason.

Loved this episode!

highlights:

- I thought Sansa was great in her little screen time. The interaction between her and Joffrey is outstanding.
- Joffrey is such a little shit, what a great actor
- I love Cersei being called a disappointment, and then the realization she has when she realize what a monster she has created in Joffrey
- Robb Stark's scenes were all amazing
- Same with Melisandre
- Love the casting on Stannis and Melisandre.
- What they're doing with Theon right now is (series)
devious as hell to non-book readers
- Thank god they had Bran scenes in there with Summer. I was so happy about that.
- Can't wait to see some Arya next episode.

Fry

Fair enough.

Either Breaking Bad or Mad Men is probably the best show since The Wire. I'm pretty confident that GoT can reach that tier though.

Agreed, at this point, its too early. But having read the books, and seeing how they've handled the show so far, I'm seriously pumped for the rest of this season, and the future of the series. If some ppl thought the S2 opener was good, you aint seen nothin yet ;)

I fucking love Breaking Bad, but I certainly don't feel that is on some other level entirely. I don't even think it comes close to GoT in terms of scope, production values, and ambition. Not even fucking close. The fact that hbo is pulling this off as well as they are is beyond impressive to me. Obviously BB doesn't have the massive budget and cast of characters that GoT does, but I'm guessing it's a lot easier to write a small tight storyline involving a very limited number of characters in basically one setting compared to having to juggle this behemoth of a story and cast. I don't really know which show I like more, but I definitely like these 2 shows more than anything I've seen on tv in years. They each have their strong points. I'm bummed that BB wont be on past season 5 though, that's for damn sure.

Yeah, deffo, I was just comparing the entirety of both shows, and I'd rank BB ahead of almost any other. But if you put them head to head, it's pretty even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom