• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry Williams' video brought up something interesting that I'm curious about with new viewers. He was confused about the religion situation with Melisandre and Stannis, and thought Stannis was converting from The Seven to the old, Northern gods. At one point Cressen actually says something like "the old gods are gone, now there is a new god" which I can definitely see new viewers being confused over.

I'd imagine later episodes will further expand on this, making it clearer for all. The one non-book reader I talked to understood this was a completely new god, separate from The Seven as well as the Old Gods.

apana

Well, you should get used to it because its gonna get a lot more highlight reel as the story progresses. They're already gutting entire locations, characters and arcs and it still is kinda too scattered for a TV show. They didn't even have time to cover all the characters in one episode (something season 1 managed to do). Come season 4 you'll have about 15 to 20 arcs going on, when this season is covering only 5 or 6.

A story like this is just unadaptable in the long run without some mayor changes. It's too long and complicated to be a movie saga and too expensive to be a TV show.

It's still the best show on TV since The Wire.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the complications that the plot presents from this point forward but I still think in the hands of the right people it can be done right and I'm fairly confident it will be done right. They had to get everyone their moments in the first episode and they did a good job with a lot of the scenes but I feel it is a real stretch to say it was much better than the first episode of season 1. I will admit though that season 1 was much easier to direct because most of the characters are together.

Not a fan of Van Patten, at least not for GoT. Sure the pilot was well done, but nearly every Dany scene was awkwardly done imo. Plus there are a few cheesy moments, like the first Jamie/Cersei scene. I certainly liked it a lot though overall.

Tonight's episode felt like Taylor and the writers setting the chess pieces for things to come, with nearly every scene working; in that sense it felt a lot like the finale episode of S1, which was my favorite of the season (I know most people would choose episode 9).

Don't exactly agree, I had no real problem with any of the Dany stuff. I thought the wedding was great and the tone felt right. For this episode I felt there were some unnecessary changes and akward transitions. The death of the bastards didn't really feel like it had the emotional impact that they were going for, even the death of the baby. This episode felt rushed and I understand they had a lot to go through but they made some mistakes, particularly with the King's Landing scenes. I thought they nailed the stuff in the North with Robb, Bran, and Jon though. I think the King's Landing parts were what mostly brought this episode down for me. I still loved it though.

Can't say I agree with you at all. I thought this episode was a much better start to the season than the pilot episode. Better acting. Better cinematography. A much more confident cast. I didn't think there was one weak performance to be honest. I watched the pilot a couple days ago and I actually felt it was one of the weaker episodes of season 1. I actually cringed at a couple parts (Aryas voice over dub introducing Jaime Lannister for no reason), Waymer Royce and company getting attacked by the Others seemingly 5 minutes after they leave the wall, as well as some other parts that currently escape me in my semi drunken state. I didn't mind the pacing of this episode at all considering how many plot lines are going on. I thought it was an excellent beginning. I thought the new cast members were excellent also. shrug

Meh I didn't think those were a big deal.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Yeah, deffo, I was just comparing the entirety of both shows, and I'd rank BB ahead of almost any other. But if you put them head to head, it's pretty even.
I think at this point in each shows respective lifetime I would still give the edge to Breaking Bad just because the characters and performances are so great, and it just keeps getting better, but if hbo can pull off the rest of book 2 and especially book 3, then this is going to be some seriously amazing television.

I can't wait to see what they do with season 5 of BB. I know it would go against the entire premise of the show, but I really wish they would let Walt and his family live happily ever after when all things are said and done. No way it's gonna happen, the piper will have to be paid, but I like his character so much that I don't want to see his eventual downfall. heh

Don't exactly agree, I had no real problem with any of the Dany stuff. I thought the wedding was great and the tone felt right. For this episode I felt there were some unnecessary changes and akward transitions. The death of the bastards didn't really feel like it had the emotional impact that they were going for, even the death of the baby. This episode felt rushed and I understand they had a lot to go through but they made some mistakes, particularly with the King's Landing scenes. I thought they nailed the stuff in the North though with Robb, Bran, and Jon though. I think the King's Landing was what mostly brought this episode down for me. I still loved it though.

To me, the wedding just looked so cheap (despite the not-so-cheap location), almost History Channel recreation level. It didn't seem to fit the rest of the episode, to the point I almost cringed whenever Dany arrived on screen.

Which transitions were awkward to you, I'm curious; I thought they did a great job tying things together with the comet. And in terms of the Kings Landing scenes, I thought they were great; perhaps that first scene with Dontos was awkward but that was it. Tyrion was great, and all the dialogue was good. One of S1's worst (and most disappointing) scenes was the first council meeting where everyone rushes through their lines. The actors were given space to breath this time, and it worked wonders. The only scene that felt rushed was the final one on Dragonstone, with the painted table. Cressen clumsily puts the poison in the cup, then drinks it first (which made little sense to me). I'm not sure viewers even cared about him, although to be fair that scene was more about establishing Melisandre's power.

To me the only bad thing about the baby scene was the lack of Prince Of Egypt music.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Don't get me wrong, I understand the complications that the plot presents from this point forward but I still think in the hands of the right people it can be done right and I'm fairly confident it will be done right. The had to get everyone their moments in the first episode and they did a good job with a lot of the scenes but I still think it is a real stretch to say it was much better than the first episode of season 1. I will admit though that season 1 was much easier to direct because most of the characters are together.

Don't exactly agree, I had no real problem with any of the Dany stuff. I thought the wedding was great and the tone felt right. For this episode I felt there were some unnecessary changes and akward transitions. The death of the bastards didn't really feel like it had the emotional impact that they were going for, even the death of the baby. This episode felt rushed and I understand they had a lot to go through but they made some mistakes, particularly with the King's Landing scenes. I thought they nailed the stuff in the North though with Robb, Bran, and Jon though. I think the King's Landing was what mostly brought this episode down for me. I still loved it though.

Meh I didn't think those were a big deal.

Those were just a couple of the small things that I felt were poorly handled. There were some others that I can't recall offhand. After actually thinking about it though, I just felt that the direction of the first episode felt very "made for tv" and nowhere near as grand or competently directed as the Alan Taylor episodes. I personally don't feel that Timothy Van Patten is as good a director as Alan Taylor. Not even close to be honest. Not to say he is bad by any means, but his style just doesn't feel as epic to me. Just my opinion obviously.

Vyer

I don't think I've ever seen
baby killing, even if out of frame
on TV before. HBO don't fuck around.

Man, that episode MOVED. Really quick 50 minutes. Very different viewing experiences than Season 1 for me, having read ACOK, but it's still a ton of fun. Excited to see how the events to come look on screen compared to how I envisioned them while reading.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
They really fucked up the entire plot at Dragonstone, imo.

Complete clusterfuck.
Just curious, but in what way? It's been a couple years since I've read aCoK, but it was pretty much how I remembered it. What was so bad about it? I actually thought it was done very well.

Peru

Dragonstone was my favorite part. The three main players there looked and acted so perfectly and will be my favorite bickering crew this season.

apana

They really fucked up the entire plot at Dragonstone, imo.

Complete clusterfuck.

Yeah Dragonstone felt off. I don't want to criticize this episode too much because I enjoyed a lot of it, it just didn't become greater than the sum of its parts for me. I think that there is just so much to cover. They have a few minutes to get in a lot and if some choices or scenes don't sit right with certain people the episode will feel weaker whereas others may enjoy it more. Like I felt the moment with the bastards they should have just focused on the baby, not try to rush through a bunch of killing scenes. I do like a slower and more contemplative style and there may just not be the minutes for that kind of thing. I hope after the first episode we can have episodes focusing on certain characters. Like maybe Jon Snow could be more of the focus in one episode, Robb in another, etc. instead of everyone having to get their moment. Also Shae is annoying and Littlefinger scene was a bit much.

Ok I'm having a little trouble with some of the characters..I started to look it up online then got a major spoiler.. :/. Who is Ros and Shae? I think I'm confusing them.

Ok I'm having a little trouble with some of the characters..I started to look it up online then got a major spoiler.. :/. Who is Ros and Shae? I think I'm confusing them.

Ros = the hot redhead whore that was running the brothel when the guards came in and killed the baby.

Shae = the whore that is hanging out in Tyrion's bedroom

Subitai

I don't understand what the big deal about the baby killing was. They didn't actually show it, but anyone paying attention knew Cersei was going to have to react to the news Stannis spread.

LordCanti

Ros = the hot redhead whore that was running the brothel when the guards came in and killed the baby.

Shae = the whore that is hanging out in Tyrion's bedroom

Was Ros the whore from Winterfell? Or, at least somewhere near enough to Winterfell that she could get ridden by everyone in Winterfell?

Vespene

After rewatching it... man, I will miss Sean Bean's Ned, but Richard Madden does a fantastic job as the re-imagined Rob. In the books he was kind of undeceive and somewhat naive, needing his mother and lieutenants for much of the decision making. On the TV show he's Ned Stark 2.0. His mannerisms, tone, words... you could put Sean Bean with the same lines and it would be badass Ned. Excellent job by Madden. King in the North.

Rewatched it just now and loved it even more. It actually feels and looks like a great show, something that S1 lacked until the last three or four episodes imo.

Yeah Dragonstone felt off. I don't want to criticize this episode too much because I enjoyed a lot of it, it just didn't become greater than the sum of its parts for me. I think that there is just so much to cover. They have a few minutes to get in a lot and if some choices or scenes don't sit right with certain people the episode will feel weaker whereas others may enjoy it more. Like I felt the moment with the bastards they should have just focused on the baby, not try to rush through a bunch of killing scenes. I do like a slower and more contemplative style and there may just not be the minutes for that kind of thing. I hope after the first episode we can have episodes focusing on certain characters. Like maybe Jon Snow could be more of the focus in one episode, Robb in another, etc. instead of everyone having to get their moment. Also Shae is annoying and Littlefinger scene was a bit much.

There are too many characters/plots to do that, especially now that the show no longer has a "main" character. But even in S1 most episodes rarely had any type of overarching theme or main character focus, and instead everyone got scenes; iirc Jon and Dany weren't in a couple episodes. From what I've read S2 will have more of a focus on creating themes for episodes to connect the various scenes, which is a good thing.

It'll be interesting to see how characters are delegated though. Renly will likely be in the second episode, as will Arya. Will any of tonight's characters be dropped, or have their screen time reduced to make room?

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I'm betting that's how it will go. I can't imagine it jumping around this much in every episode. I think they just had to get all the major plots started and then they'll be able to narrow their focus down to specific storylines in the coming episodes. I'm sure we'll see a lot more Arya in the next episode. Probably more Dany too. I agree that Shae is annoying. I kinda felt she was annoying in the books as well, but not to this degree. I was also kinda disappointed in Stannis sword Lightbringer. I thought it was supposed to glow red at all times. Not just be on fire for a second and then go back to looking like a normal sword. Minor nitpick obviously. Overall though I was very happy with the episode.

There's a thread for non-book readers

From the first post

Please keep in mind that many viewers haven't read the books and will be new to the ASoIaF series. As such, please spoiler tag any plot points that haven't aired yet on HBO and label what book you're discussing. This includes book spoilers as well as promos and teasers that HBO has released for upcoming episodes. Also note that mentioning a specific character in a specific book confirms that they're still alive at that point, so please do not do this.

I know it's a hassle to use tags, but some of the spoilers involved with this series are HUGE and there are plenty of other places on GAF to discuss ASoIaF on GAF. I've included some links (see above) to other GAF threads for the series as a whole. Remember that this show needs to put up some big viewership numbers to stay on the air, and most of the potential audience hasn't read the books before. Let's be respectful towards them, and when in doubt, put it in spoiler tags.

WTH was up with Petyr's voice when Cersei called for him?

Yeah that was weird.

Larry Williams' video brought up something interesting that I'm curious about with new viewers. He was confused about the religion situation with Melisandre and Stannis, and thought Stannis was converting from The Seven to the old, Northern gods. At one point Cressen actually says something like "the old gods are gone, now there is a new god" which I can definitely see new viewers being confused over.

I'd imagine later episodes will further expand on this, making it clearer for all. The one non-book reader I talked to understood this was a completely new god, separate from The Seven as well as the Old Gods.

Yeah they definitely referred to The Seven as Old Gods in that scene, which of course clashes with the Old Gods being the Gods of the North, and referred as the Old Gods many times.

As for discussion on direction, I love Taylor's direction. I thought the transitions tonight were excellent.

I'm betting that's how it will go. I can't imagine it jumping around this much in every episode. I think they just had to get all the major plots started and then they'll be able to narrow their focus down to specific storylines in the coming episodes. I'm sure we'll see a lot more Arya in the next episode. Probably more Dany too. I agree that Shae is annoying. I kinda felt she was annoying in the books as well, but not to this degree. I was also kinda disappointed in Stannis sword Lightbringer. I thought it was supposed to glow red at all times. Not just be on fire for a second and then go back to looking like a normal sword. Minor nitpick obviously. Overall though I was very happy with the episode.

thats kind of the whole point though, its just a regular sword that they set on fire to put on a show for everyone...its not a legit magical sword or anything

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
thats kind of the whole point though, its just a regular sword that they set on fire to put on a show for everyone...its not a legit magical sword or anything
Ya but in the books it actually does have a magical glow to it at all times. It doesn't produce heat, but it definitely produces light even when it's not on fire.

series
Well, kind of... other characters in the book see the sword and it apparently IS red or glows like an ember or something, but it doesn't actually give heat. The imagery in the book is strong for that because it implies falseness or a real "show" for everyone like you're saying.

Vespene

Regarding the production:

The dragons and wolves are excellently done. As for the intro, I was a bit disappointed that it still zooms in to the Dothraki Sea instead of the Wastes.

The King's Landing sets were all the same place. The small council room and Littlefinger's brothel were the repurposed throne room set with props laid over to hide its distinctive areas. Not a big deal considering its the same architecture and location though. I loved the balcony shot with Shae and the Dragonstone war room. I like how they propped up the backgrounds in Malta to make them look like they were in the Red Keep. Even little details like having the symbol of the Seven on the windows everywhere. Really cool stuff.

LordCanti

Ya but in the books it actually does have a magical glow to it at all times. It doesn't produce heat, but it definitely produces light even when it's not on fire.

I did think that seemed wrong at the time. Stannis just kind of dropped the sword and walked away, while in the book [ACOK]
he keeps it with him at all times as a sign that he's the chosen one, right?

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I did think that seemed wrong at the time. Stannis just kind of dropped the sword and walked away, while in the book [ACOK]
I don't really remember. I think that he might have actually left it at first because he wasn't sold on all this sorcery mumbo jumbo at that point, but as he starts to buy into melisandres ideas about him being the chosen one, he begins to keep it with him.

LProtag

[ACOK]
It's supposedly Lightbringer, yeah.

Vespene

If people are feeling the plot kind of getting too scattered... I don't know how they're gonna keep things under control by book 5. There are just so many locations even GRRM had to split them to two books following the same timeline. And that's on a +1000 page per novel format.

apana

As far as the sword is concerned [series spoiler]
I don't really care except for the fact that it should glow once in a while. That is what they are probably going to do. It will glow when Master Aemon gets to look at it in Storm of Swords.

Gregorn

I felt that way during season 1, but the moment they showed those S1 spoilers
dragons
it looked like it was going full blown magic. I have no idea how it will turn out though.

That's sort of one of the themes of the series. Magic is gone from the world and literally held back behind a wall and then it slowly creeps back in.

I hope no one considers it a spoiler to say that it doesn't go harry potter style magic at any point, it's mostly under control.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I just looked it up. He does plunge it in the ground and walks away from it, back up to the castle. Melisandre picks it up a short time later and follows him

big ander

Loved the episode. Great reintroduction without being slow, set up a ton of action to come. Can't wait for more Arya next week. As someone who hasn't read the books, HBO's viewer's guide is a huge help. Really well done. I feel like I understand most everything already (I got the stuff about the Gods and the bastards etc.) but this fills in the gaps quite wonderfully.

Only part I feel confused on is how the Greyjoy House fits in. Is Balon jockeying for the iron throne or not? I guess we'll find out when Theon visits him?

(SPOILERS IN THE QUOTE BELOW ME ARE FOR SOMETHING LIKE THE 3RD OR 4TH BOOK, I DON'T KNOW BECAUSE I DON'T READ THEM)
In another two books.

Anyhoo, really dug the episode. Man, Tyrion is going to be fucking awesome the next two seasons. The scene with him and Shae in the Hand's Tower was really sweet. Also makes it even more sad :(
Fuck you man. It looked like everyone had been tagging everything great, and you fuck it up. The no spoilers thread is dead so I'd rather post here, but you're gonna go ahead and blatantly ignore the huge list of rules in the OP. Awesome. Dammit all. At least the other examples of it above were misunderstandings. It's like you're trying to ruin stuff.
I felt that way during season 1, but the moment they showed those S1 spoilers
dragons
it looked like it was going full blown magic. I have no idea how it will turn out though.
See, but you don't need to spoiler tag season 1 stuff. When people follow the rules set out in Cornballer's op everything goes great and it makes it easier for everyone.
maybe she just spent the last few years building up an immunity to locane powder?
hah this is what I thought of. but that would be inconceivable.

So this is the official thread or isn't it? Why is there two threads? The other one is dead compared to this one. If people labelled spoilers properly I dont really see the need for two threads. Anyways...

Premier was so good.

LordCanti

I just looked it up. He does plunge it in the ground and walks away from it, back up to the castle. Melisandre picks it up a short time later and follows him

Goes to show how bad my memory of the books is at this point (probably read ACOK a decade ago).

I didn't remember the scene where Littlefinger tells Cersei that he knows her secret at all. As I was watching it I was thinking "Wow, that's really not something you'd want her to know, considering what happened to the last couple people that let it slip that they knew"

I assume that actually happened in the book anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom