• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

I wish we got a few more scenes with Stannis. I wasn't impressed at all. He looks cocky and pissed off. He should look nearly constipated with anger at all times, grinding his teeth together.

He's supposed to be angry, not cocky.

I wish we got a few more scenes with Stannis. I wasn't impressed at all. He looks cocky and pissed off. He should look nearly constipated with anger at all times, grinding his teeth together.

Yeah, I could have gone for more teeth grinding. Now I'm worried Arya's lip will be completely non-bitten the whole series.

Watched the premiere twice last night. Loved every minute of it. I'm glad the locales are getting some extra love. The sense of scope has been increased (love the shot of Shae looking over King's Landing). Of course, the characters are all still top notch. The wait in between weeks is going to be brutal.

Also, Tyrion strutting and swaggering all over King's Landing is great.

I get that some people have read some but not all of the books, but these "speculation or spoiler" events really make it seem like it'd be better to have a "for readers" thread with unmarked spoilers to go with the "for non-readers" thread.

Anyway, pretty good episode. It had a bunch of scenes that were pretty overt about existing only to repeat information to refresh people's memories on events and relationships (Cercei and Littlefinger, Robb and Jaime, etc), but I guess it's to be expected in a season premier.

Did I miss something, or was that white raven (series)
moved up like four books? It does make sense to start winter now, given the "winter is coming" saying and the fact that so far the seasons haven't actually had anything to do with the plot, but I went "whoa" when watching that lol

Oh, wasn't an official map going to be going up somewhere soon after this ep aired?

cubanb

Banned
CGntw.gif

JB1981

I am sure he will show up later. This is the man who played Thomas Jefferson in John Adams. Dude can act!

Hypnotoad

moved up like four books? It does make sense to start winter now, given the "winter is coming" saying and the fact that so far the seasons haven't actually had anything to do with the plot, but I went "whoa" when watching that lol

(Series spoiler)
The raven brought news of the beginning of autumn, not of winter.

Altazor

no, I think (series spoiler?)
it just means Autumn began, though I don't remember if they used the white raven to symbolize that in the books

Puddles

Banned
I get that some people have read some but not all of the books, but these "speculation or spoiler" events really make it seem like it'd be better to have a "for readers" thread with unmarked spoilers to go with the "for non-readers" thread.

There is a book thread, two of them, actually.

The current arrangement should be fine if people are a bit smarter from here on out.

When in doubt, use spoiler tags. If someone speculates on something and you've read the books, don't quote them and demand that they spoiler tag the post.

"Drizz needs to man up and fuck Cersei already."
"Dude, WTF? Spoiler tag that shit!"

Don't do that.

Though honestly I think we should spoiler tag speculation from here on out.

There is a book thread, two of them, actually.

The current arrangement should be fine if people are a bit smarter from here on out.

When in doubt, use spoiler tags. If someone speculates on something and you've read the books, don't quote them and demand that they spoiler tag the post.

"Drizz needs to man up and fuck Cersei already."
"Dude, WTF? Spoiler tag that shit!"

Don't do that.

It seems like having this inbetween area of "spoilers are okay if marked" is what ultimately causes every problem, though, whether it's people marking incorrectly or reacting to speculation or whatever. Having an all or nothing situation with the two (show) threads would almost certainly make for less accidental spoilage.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Am I crazy or was Tyrion whistling the Harry Potter theme when he walked into the small council?

Spoilers for ACOK (book 2) and ASOS (book 3) (speculation on plot points moved back and forth between each book and this season)
So given that disagreement with Cat and Robb regarding Sansa/Arya "It's more complicated than that and you know it!", I feel like Cat will 100% let Jamie go at the end of this season. She does that in Storm, correct? I also bet you that episode 7 scene that Nikolaj says is his favorite ever is him telling the story to Cat about to why and how he got the "Kingslayer" nickname.

Where is Cornballa and his handy links to reviews and sneak previews
I got back into town late last night and haven't had a chance to watch the premiere yet. I'll post a round up this evening once I've seen it. It's tough avoiding this thread (I've skimmed a couple posts but haven't read most of it) all day while I'm at work. I should have called in sick today. ;)

bengraven

Watched it again with my wife. She was a non-reader and she's getting a bit confused with all the new characters. Plus, she says they all look alike. I suppose a lot of white guys with beards begin to blend together. ha

no, I think (series spoiler?)
it just means Autumn began, though I don't remember if they used the white raven to symbolize that in the books

They did. In fact, there was a white raven on the cover of Clash of Kings.

In Craster's Fuck Shack, (ACoK)
was that Gilly who had the one line of dialogue?

Nah, the actual actress is cuter. The Dutch guy who saw episode 2 has a screenshot of her behind his spoilers.

Yeah, but it was "off-screen"

Yeah, it's only in few lines of dialogue between two characters. Which reminded me: (COK)
Now that we actually SEE the scenes, it's going to be much more satisfying watching Slint get sent away.

Spoilers for ACOK (book 2) and ASOS (book 3) (speculation on plot points moved back and forth between each book and this season)
So given that disagreement with Cat and Robb regarding Sansa/Arya "It's more complicated than that and you know it!", I feel like Cat will 100% let Jamie go at the end of this season. She does that in Storm, correct? I also bet you that episode 7 scene that Nikolaj says is his favorite ever is him telling the story to Cat about to why and how he got the "Kingslayer" nickname.

IIRC, the first parts of Book 3 take place at the same time as the end parts of Book 2, so it's likely that Jamie being set free and a bit of other book 3 things will spill into Season 2.

bengraven

IIRC, the first parts of Book 3 take place at the same time as the end parts of Book 2, so it's likely that Jamie being set free and a bit of other book 3 things will spill into Season 2.

COK:
she does set him free TECHNICALLY in book 2 though. You see her tell Brienne to come forward, then the chapter ends with you wondering if she killed him. Then when SOS opens he's free.

Raist

Banned
It seems like having this inbetween area of "spoilers are okay if marked" is what ultimately causes every problem, though, whether it's people marking incorrectly or reacting to speculation or whatever. Having an all or nothing situation with the two (show) threads would almost certainly make for less accidental spoilage.

I don't understand why it's handled like this. Ran into the same arguments last year. There should be a NO SPOILER thread and a SPOILERS GO LOL! thread.

Having a thread where posting book spoilers is ok but you have to tag them etc is bound to have accidents happen. If the thread is clearly meant for people who have already read the books already, tagging spoilers doesn't make sense, and people who don't want to be spoiled at all can stick to the no spoiler thread.
It's going to be particularly difficult when events will happen at different points between the books and the series. Because that's definitely going to happen. not to mention people who don't remember when stuff happened exactly and those accidentally highlighting correctly marked spoilers.

pr0cs

Great season 2 premiere, I was happy all day yesterday (which is rare since Sunday's I'm usually pissed off about having to go to work on Monday).
I'll echo some of the sentiments, the cast seems a lot more confident and it shows..it seems like everyone is fitting into their parts better.

Pros:
- CGI is really well done, the scene with Grey Wind and Jaime was really well done, my favorite part of the premiere
- most new locations were perfect, Craster's Keep is exactly how I envisioned it
- most of the new casting is great, Mel, Stannis, Craster, Cressen all very well done. I don't know how people thought Craster would be more thin/weak/old. Living north of the wall has to take huge stones and make you a tough serious bastard, Pugh did awesome
- most of the differences, new additions from the book were well done and added to the story

Cons:
- the pacing is incredibly fast, especially around Dragonstone, would have liked more of an introduction to everyone there. I liked what was shown but I can see how people who have not read the books would be like WTF is going on, who are these people and why do I care
- similar pacing issues around Roberts' bastards, like it was mentioned playing Benny Hill music while the bastards were 'removed' would have been appropriate. I understand the time limitations but wow things moved fast here and I could understand how people would get lost here if they weren't paying attention from last season
- not enough attention paid to Stannis, Lightbringer, lord of light, etc.. again probably related to pacing but it seems like the whole topic of Stannis being Azor Ahai a hero and savior seemed really glossed over.

I can't believe we have wait for another week for the next episode, best show on TV right now IMO.

ultron87

I don't understand why it's handled like this. Ran into the same arguments last year. There should be a NO SPOILER thread and a SPOILERS GO LOL! thread.

Having a thread where posting book spoilers is ok but you have to tag them etc is bound to have accidents happen. If the thread is clearly meant for people who have already read the books already, tagging spoilers doesn't make sense, and people who don't want to be spoiled at all can stick to the no spoiler thread.
It's going to be particularly difficult when events will happen at different points between the books and the series. Because that's definitely going to happen. not to mention people who don't remember when stuff happened exactly and those accidentally highlighting correctly marked spoilers.

We have a "Spoiler tag free for all the books" thread already. Discussion related to where the series is happens in there as well. And if people want no spoilers ever there is a thread for that. This thread pretty much has to be a middle-ground semi-danger spoiler zone otherwise it will appeal to a pointlessly small subsection of the posting populace.

JerkShep

How this thing with Ep 2 on Dutch HBOgo works? Should I except a lot of spoilery info on the episode soon, like Ep 7 last season?

How this thing with Ep 2 on Dutch HBOgo works? Should I except a lot of spoilery info on the episode soon, like Ep 7 last season?

Sounds like it's just a one-time promo for the service. Back to normal next week.

edit: Ahhhh I misread :( There are a few images posted here, yes. I'd imagine you run no more risk than running into spoilery stuff from reviewers that have seen the first 4 eps.

We have a "Spoiler tag free for all the books" thread already. Discussion related to where the series is happens in there as well. And if people want no spoilers ever there is a thread for that. This thread pretty much has to be a middle-ground semi-danger spoiler zone otherwise it will appeal to a pointlessly small subsection of the posting populace.

It's a book thread, though. Is there actually that much weekly discussion on the show in there?

Zabka

Just watched Episode 2 (via Dutch HBO Go), bookspoilers ahoy:

They did a good job on the Theon/Asha (Yara in the show) scene, the face he makes when he finds out he fingered his sister, awesome, well done. As is Castly Pyke, looks brilliant, pic (here). I also enjoyed Gilly, so cute too (again, pic here.
Also very much enjoyed the scene where Gendry finds out about Arya being a Lady, it was cute.

Can you get a screen cap of
Yara? The only picture I saw of her so far was of poor quality.

Raist

Banned

I don't think the amount of people having read the books and watching the show represents a "small subsection". As it is now, the only difference between this thread and the other one is that you either have no spoilers at all allowed, or spoilers aalowed but have to be tagged, which in practice doesn't make any difference and is bound to end up with people being spoiled because someone forgot to tag or someone highlighted something they shouldn't have.

So what's the point of such a thread? For people who have read up until the end of book 2 (for instance) and then don't wanna be spoiled on the rest of the series? Might as well read the no spoilers thread. Not to mention that's an even smaller subsection.

If you think about it, the most logical way to differenciate people regarding this issue is the 2 major groups: people who haven't read the books, or little of it, and people who know everything already. Other categories make things too complicated and prone to meltdowns.

It's a book thread, though. Is there actually that much weekly discussion on the show in there?

It's mostly a place for theories/speculation and people who've recently read the latest book. Haven't seen much discussion on the show, people usually post here for that.

kirblar

COK:
she does set him free TECHNICALLY in book 2 though. You see her tell Brienne to come forward, then the chapter ends with you wondering if she killed him. Then when SOS opens he's free.
They seem to be avoiding cliffhanger endings on the TV adaptation, so I would expect an ending much more similar to Arya's from Season 1.

Chris R

Wonder if correcting another poster in the no book thread that Cressen was a maester and not a priest would be considered a spoiler. I mean he WAS wearing his chain. But then I couldn't think on just what has been explained JUST IN THE SHOW as to what the Maesters do for their various lords :|

PersonaX

Posted this on the other thread when it was meant to come here, doesn't matter:

If anything, there is more production value this time.

Cinematography/direction has clearly gotten better, some cool shots in this episode and i liked how they changed the scenery by zooming up at the comet and then back down again to some other location, you know what i mean.

CGI is impressive and every other department is doing as good job as always, didn't notice anything getting worse at least.

only major complaint i have was the rushed Dragonstone part, must have been pretty confusing for those who haven't read the books and a bit underwhelming for those who have, no biggie, though.

+ the warg scene was cool, looking forward to another.

Great season 2 premiere, I was happy all day yesterday (which is rare since Sunday's I'm usually pissed off about having to go to work on Monday).
I'll echo some of the sentiments, the cast seems a lot more confident and it shows..it seems like everyone is fitting into their parts better.

Pros:
- CGI is really well done, the scene with Grey Wind and Jaime was really well done, my favorite part of the premiere
- most new locations were perfect, Craster's Keep is exactly how I envisioned it
- most of the new casting is great, Mel, Stannis, Craster, Cressen all very well done. I don't know how people thought Craster would be more thin/weak/old. Living north of the wall has to take huge stones and make you a tough serious bastard, Pugh did awesome
- most of the differences, new additions from the book were well done and added to the story

Cons:
- the pacing is incredibly fast, especially around Dragonstone, would have liked more of an introduction to everyone there. I liked what was shown but I can see how people who have not read the books would be like WTF is going on, who are these people and why do I care
- similar pacing issues around Roberts' bastards, like it was mentioned playing Benny Hill music while the bastards were 'removed' would have been appropriate. I understand the time limitations but wow things moved fast here and I could understand how people would get lost here if they weren't paying attention from last season
- not enough attention paid to Stannis, Lightbringer, lord of light, etc.. again probably related to pacing but it seems like the whole topic of Stannis being Azor Ahai a hero and savior seemed really glossed over.

I can't believe we have wait for another week for the next episode, best show on TV right now IMO.

You said it better, i agree with pretty much everything here.

Dresden

e is the 2 major groups: people who haven't read the books, or little of it, and people who know everything already. Other categories make things too complicated and prone to meltdowns.

Yeah, I agree. Having two threads - a free-for-all spoilers allowed thread for readers of the novels, and a no-spoiler thread for those who didn't - would also have the side effect of funneling more people into the no-spoiler thread (which seems pretty dead, as many non-readers choose to post here instead).

Yeah, I agree. Having two threads - a free-for-all spoilers allowed thread for readers of the novels, and a no-spoiler thread for those who didn't - would also have the side effect of funneling more people into the no-spoiler thread (which seems pretty dead, as many non-readers choose to post here instead).

Maybe if the books were like 20 pages long I'd agree but this suggested approach completely disregards what I'd imagine are the majority of cases: those still making their way through the series in print.

ultron87

I was impressed by how prepared Joffrey's guards were to drown a guy with wine at the drop of a hat. They didn't even need clarification on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom