• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falagard

I've ready all the books up to and including Dance of Dragons. I was just re-reading the wikipedia plots of all the books and I can't imagine how they're going to fit all this into a TV series that stays coherent.

To be honest, I think the books started to fall off badly after the second, although there were some big wow moments along the way. Things just start to diverge too much, it'll be hard to follow so many plot threads and keep things interesting.

Here's a simple example (major spoilers):

A not reader friend of mine, while watching season one before Drogo was killed said: "I can't wait until Dany takes the horse warriors and kicks some ass in westeros" and I didn't say anything but... yeah that is going to take a while.

scosher

- most of the new casting is great, Mel, Stannis, Craster, Cressen all very well done. I don't know how people thought Craster would be more thin/weak/old. Living north of the wall has to take huge stones and make you a tough serious bastard, Pugh did awesome

I envisioned Craster as a frail, old man when first introduced to him in the book. I thought he would look a lot like Walder Frey honestly.

I guess that's mainly cause when I think of a creepy, old lecher, my imagination immediately conjures up:

4e958fd4190f8.image.jpg

Another vote here for distaste for Ros. That dialogue was absolutely awful.

Unrelatedly: I loved the books, and the show, but it seems like trying to discuss it is simply too much work what with constantly worrying about spoilers, so I think I'll mostly be lurking this thread.

Just curious, but in what way? It's been a couple years since I've read aCoK, but it was pretty much how I remembered it. What was so bad about it? I actually thought it was done very well.

It was perfectly introduced in the book.

You're introduced to the characters, there's a clear set-up, and then a payoff.
It's clear what's happening, who is who, and what their motivation is.

The show's version is abrupt and truncated.
It's kind of like sex without the foreplay.

Just kinda happened.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
For the life of me I can't figure out why they made Ros a bigger character. I like whores and tits as much as the next guy but keep that shit in the background.

Of the 11 episodes I have watched so far, last night was the weakest. I can already tell its not going to be the same without Eddard. I agree with many that it jumped all over the place, and seemed rushed.

I was talking about season 1, where she spends forever just fucking another whore while Littlefinger talks and talks. And then there was her scenes with Theon and the Maester. It's just like "ok whatever Ros, go away"

If she was anything like Joan, I'd be interested. She doesn't have anything to add and just wastes time.

She's not a good or experienced actress, which makes it even worse. I get that she's being used to fill a roll from the book, I'm fine with that. We pretty much know she's in the next episode (one of the trailer's shows her crying with Littlefinger). If she continues to have a large role I could see it being a problem, if not I'm fine with her showing up every now and then.

Obviously we should have gotten a smash cut to guards killing babies without setting the scene up at all.

Really?

You didnt take the whole "Im the true claim to the throne, how many bastardbabies did daddy have?!" scene as an indicator that something might go down?

I mean it wasnt black and white or anything but it connects.

Herla

A 2-minute scene in the first episode of the season and already Ros is a bigger character. Oh, gaf.

She did have more screentime than Arya.
Hell, she has more screentime than *random-beloved-character-that-was-cut* will ever have :(

apana

Of the 11 episodes I have watched so far, last night was the weakest. I can already tell its not going to be the same without Eddard. I agree with many that it jumped all over the place, and seemed rushed.

I disagree, I had problems with the episode but this kind of thing is incredibly hard to pull off. They had to go through a lot of people and most of it was done right. I didn't enjoy King's Landing and Dragonstone. They should have cut out a few useless parts to extend the Dragonstone scenes. Also the Tyrion [ACOK]
conversation with Cersei revealing that he knows about her incest and jokingly said that he deserved some as well was left out.
:(

Another vote here for distaste for Ros. That dialogue was absolutely awful.

Unrelatedly: I loved the books, and the show, but it seems like trying to discuss it is simply too much work what with constantly worrying about spoilers, so I think I'll mostly be lurking this thread.

Maybe you're just a dumb slut.

I like how she said that. I don't know, I always liked her character.

This episode was cut really weird.

It's almost like a teaser for the real episode or something.

The ending kinda proves my point.

Weirdness.

bud

She's not a good or experienced actress, which makes it even worse. I get that she's being used to fill a roll from the book, I'm fine with that. We pretty much know she's in the next episode (one of the trailer's shows her crying with Littlefinger). If she continues to have a large role I could see it being a problem, if not I'm fine with her showing up every now and then.

she might not be an experienced actress, but at no point does that become noticeable, imo.

besides, she doesn't even have that big of a part.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
A 2-minute scene in the first episode of the season and already Ros is a bigger character. Oh, gaf.

No, she was a bigger character last season when they gave her a name and ties to Theon, and moved her to King's Landing and then gave her ties to Littlefinger. Now she has been given exclusive screen time, I don't care how minute, it's still pointless and stupid.

oldskool

Maybe it was her clothing, but Ros looked considerably plumper. Is the actress that plays her pregnant in real life/while they were filming?

Also, who was the guard that refused to kill the baby? They showed him again during the bastard killing scenes with another upset look on his face. Think he'll play a greater role later this season?

No, she was a bigger character last season when they gave her a name and ties to Theon, and moved her to King's Landing and then gave her ties to Littlefinger. Now she has been given exclusive screen time, I don't care how minute, it's still pointless and stupid.
My feelings exactly.

Other minutiae: I feel like they could have cast someone grimmer looking for Stannis. The guy they chose definitely plays the part well, but I think I was expecting... I dunno, David Straithairn.

If she was anything like Joan, I'd be interested. She doesn't have anything to add and just wastes time.

Totally get you, just that I didn't mean from a character standpoint. Just a curvy redheaded maternal figure to the rest of the girls in the secretary/whore pool.

edit: I too was worried about the Stannis casting, but the matter-of-fact corrections he demanded in that letter ("it's a lie, take it out." and "whatever else the man is, he IS a knight" sold me. the look isn't there, but the rigid personality of "this is what's right and correct and I'm not deviating from it an inch" is) sold me. He's also one of my favorite characters from the books, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

LuchaShaq

Banned
She did have more screentime than Arya.
Hell, she has more screentime than *random-beloved-character-that-was-cut* will ever have :(

If Meera is really cut out it will be almost as bad/worse than how they handled the battle with Tyrion in season 1.

Purkake4

Banned
The no book spoilers thread might as well be called the official thread of confusion.

Otherwise good stuff, expected Craster to be more scruffy, Melisandre was good.

Famassu

So... did they not listen to any of the criticism about the fingerbanging scene in Season 1 or did they just want to get some kind of mandatory "one whore lesson scene per season" quota out of the way in the first episode?

That said, EXCELLENT first episode otherwise. Cersei really stepped up her game, some really nice scenes with her.

apana

Useless scenes in my opinion: Mormont pushing Snow, Littlefinger and Cersei, Ros and bastard killing (I think they should have only showed the killing of the child), and maybe one or two more which I can't remember at this time. I'm not saying that those scenes were bad per se, just that we didn't need them.

I thought the Littlefinger and Cersei scene was great. Cersei/Headey, overall, was more dynamic in this episode than the entirety of season 1.

I don't mind them changing whatever the fuck they need to from the books, after S1 I trust them. And in all honesty, so many events in the book were just odd, convoluted, confusing, and would play like shit on the screen and could be done in a better fashion. The books are also slow as fuck, I think I just quit on the 4th or 5th one because there was so much damn exposition, and introducing so many new characters and places while completely ignoring the main ones for so long. After introducing like the 50th new character I didn't care about I just quit. Now I somewhat regret reading the books, because my memories of the timeline of the show and the books are getting blurred and it seemed like Ive already watched some scenes in the 1st ep, or I think things have already happened that havent happened yet. I'm glad they'll need to cut out so much of the bullshit from the books, as I think I'll enjoy the show more than reading the books, and they shouldnt feel the need to be faithful just for the hell of it, if they have a better idea on how something should proceed.The books just going downhill in the lack of any sort of focus, and introducing an insane amount of characters that you couldn't possibly visualize or keep track of in a coherent way. Oh, and of course every characters needs a couple hundred pages of backstory and history. That, an entire book (or two?) where they decided to ignore the main characters, and also jumping back and forth in chronology, just killed it for me and destroyed any sort of momentum.

If Meera is really cut out it will be almost as bad/worse than how they handled the battle with Tyrion in season 1.

I have a feeling (ACOK)
Osha will basically take the place of Meera and Jojen. But who knows. I had no idea they were even going to do the Warg dreams at all.

Useless scenes in my opinion: Mormont pushing Snow, Littlefinger and Cersei, Ros and bastard killing (I think they should have only showed the killing of the child), and maybe one or two more which I can't remember at this time. I'm not saying that those scenes were bad per se, just that we didn't need them.

I think the Littlefinger/Cersei thing was definitely needed. She's not an idiot like the last king who let these jerks run around doing whatever. Plus it was so great to see Littlefinger get it.

Baby killing scene confused my family who haven't read the books, so maybe it was too reliant on memory of season 1.

I think the Littlefinger/Cersei thing was definitely needed. She's not an idiot like the last king who let these jerks run around doing whatever. Plus it was so great to see Littlefinger get it.

Baby killing scene confused my family who haven't read the books, so maybe it was too reliant on memory of season 1.
That is... controversial.

Magnus

What is the Warg scene everyone's referring to? I have to infer it's about Bran's dreams, but I'm halfway through SoS and don't remember the term...

The more I think about it, the more I disliked the episode.

That scene between Cersei and Littlefinger was particularly bad.

I get the point of it but it was just written shittily.

Famassu

No, no, yes, no. Mormont putting Snow in his place was a nice little scene that reminds of how Mormont is trying to turn Jon from a stupid cocky ass into a good leader, the little show of power by Cersei was quite well done (& acted) and showing off Joffrey's ultimate cruelty was a perfect & shocking ending to the first episode that will surely leave people wanting more.

And the only thing I would've left off from the Ros scene was the sex training from the beginning of the scene . Not that I'm a prude, but they already did that kind of scene in Season 1 and this time it really didn't bring anything even remotely important into the show (you can at least argue there's some meaning in Littlefinger's one, no matter how badly done it was). It almost feels like they went all "hey, we just HAVE to have one sex scene in the episode, it's HBO after all!"

scosher

Really?

You didnt take the whole "Im the true claim to the throne, how many bastardbabies did daddy have?!" scene as an indicator that something might go down?

I mean it wasnt black and white or anything but it connects.

It did more than that if you read between the lines.

ACOK/ASOS minor spoilers:
It sets up Janos Slynt as another villainous character to remember. I'm sure a lot of casual fans hardly remember that he was the city guard who had betrayed Ned last season. It sets up the shifting loyalties of the Goldcloaks, and how they're not even beholden to the master of coin. And like it or not, it also sets up Ros as the brothel's headmistress, and I have a feeling she'll likely replace Alayaya or Chataya as the one who helps Tyrion keep Shae a secret.

On second thought, that would be really dumb of Tyrion to use LF's establishment, so I hope they don't go there. Ros is a useless character but I didn't really have any problems with that scene, and it was only like 10 sec of gratuitous sex, rather than the 2 minutes of finger-banging we got in S1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom